63 comments

Coming of Age Sad Happy

  I took in a deep breath of the wonderful smell of…

   Garbage.

   Pee.

   Gas.

   Typical New York. Smelling of homeless people’s pee, garbage littering the floor. But it was my home. I couldn’t help but grin as I passed by the Chip-Hop frozen-yogurt store. Memories rushed back to me.


                  ***


   It was her giggle that made me giggle. 

   “How ‘bout a challenge?” She’d grinned wickedly. “Let’s see who can get the best flavor combination ever!” Being a competitive person, I smiled back. 

   “Oh, your on!” I rushed to the chocolate frozen-yogurt bar dispenser and squirted it a quarter full. Then, I sprinkled some chocolate chips before adding another quarter of vanilla frozen-yogurt. For my third step, I added in a quarter for strawberry and finally, added in coffee for the top, sprinkling toppings now and then. 

   “Done!” I exclaimed just as she finished. She looked like she added all the flavors and every single topping was stuffed in there. 

   “Let’s get the taste testers!” She marched over to our parents, who were blabbering about scores.

   “Hi sweetie,” her mom gave that sweet smile. “Need something?”

   “Yes, mommy. Tucker and I were having a competition to see who could make the best hybrid frozen yogurt.”

   “Is that so, Gwen?”

   “Yes! And you're going to be the taste testers.” Gwen finished, handing her mom her cup. “Try mine first.” I handed mine to my mom, who then passed it to Gwen’s mom for a try. Then, I tried Gwen’s and she tried mine. 

   “Mmm, I gotta say, both were delicious.” Mom complimented. 

   “I think we both know who won.” Gwen’s mom smiled. The moms glanced at each other knowingly and spoke at the exact same time. 

   “Both of yours!” Gwen frowned.

   “Mommy, be truthful. I don’t care if you say Tucker won, I just want to know.” Gwen’s Mom glanced sheepishly at my mom. 

   “No, hun you both real-”

   “Please, mom.” Gwen begged. Her mom sighed, looking at my mom for help. 

   “I liked Tucker’s bu-”

   “I knew it!” Gwen laughed. “Haha! What’d you put in yours, Tucker?” Being the older and mature one, I figured I’d win.

   “Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and coffee with chocolate chips and sprinkles.” I felt like a teacher saying that. Gwen nodded her approval. 

   “I added everything.” Gwen concluded simply. And we all laughed as if on cue. 


               ***



   “Dweller! Get outta m’way!” A loud gruff voice jolted me from my thoughts. I pulled my trench coat together, and dipped my hat down. 

   “Sorry, Mister.” I replied politely before hurrying off, not wanting to get scolded again. 

   I made a turn on Mulberry ST, and arrived at a court-yard and smack dab in the middle was a fountain. I walked over and touched the fountain. Immediately memories hit me so hard I nearly stumbled. 


               ***


   “Twerp!” The booming voice shook the world. “Hey, dudes, come look at this nerd!” the booming voice was a big burly man with shaggy hair. Two more of the same exact booming voice lumbered over. Given their large size I doubted I had 2 minutes before I was dead. 

   “Hand over ‘em bucks, kid.” The second large man growled. 

   “Or yer get it,” the third added, all three of them cracking their knuckles in perfect sync. I would’ve been laughing my head off if I weren’t about to die.

   “I-I...I don’t h-have money on m-me…” i stammered, my voice equvilent to a mouse’s squeak. The first one sniffed, showing off his hairy nostrils. 

   “I smell yer fear, kid. I know yer have some money on ya.” The first one glared at me. My hand floated near my pocket, as if it could protect the money in there. 

   “Hehe, I guess he wants to have a black eye.” The second grinned, showing me his teeth, which wasn’t a complete and pleasnt thing to see. Before he could lung forward, a big black shape shot forward, knocking the second man to the ground.

   I was half tempted to scream, “Man down!” But it wasn’t the mood for that, since I was going to have a black eye. 

   “Geroffme!” The second man shouted, fighting at the ball of fur, exepct it was much faster. I realized the ball of fur was a dog. “Call yer dog off! We’ll leave!”

   “Uh-I...Inky! Inky, c’mere, boy!” I squeaked. And that black dog came boundin’ towards me. I gingerly petted me. “Good boy.”

   “I never want to see yer face or that dog’s face again!” The second spat. 



                 ***



I sadly glanced down at my left-side, half expecting Inky to appear there. But no, he was gone. Ran over by a car. I stifled a sniff and wiped my eye.

I straightened my suit and walked away from the fountain. No time to act sad. I had a meeting to get to.

As I walked, I dropped my suitcase. It cracked open to reveal papers flying out, and a few dollars. 

“Here, allow me to help.” A young woman said, bustling her way through crowds of people. She bent down and delicately picked the papers up as if they were gold. Neatly, she stuffed them inside. 

“I-thank you.” I appreciated her act. In fact, I gave her the few dollars that was in my suitcase. The young woman smiled, and was gone in a flash of blonde hair. 

Some people in New York were kind.

Others…

I glanced over in the dark alley, full of unknown things. 

Others...Not so much. 

I continued my small expedition towards my destination, greeting occasional waves from people.

The honk of the taxies, beeping of a car, people talking-all that calmed me. All that noise faded into the background. Just a soft, soothing sound that I loved to enjoy. I took a deep whiff of the air, catching the small of hamburgers. It made me hungry, but I just had a cup of coffee with donuts on the side.

No need to foolishly spend money.

I walked forward, pressing the pedestrian button on the way, waiting for the crosswalk sign to turn to a person. 

Smoke suddenly filled the air like darkness taking over light. It blocked out the wonderful smell of hamburgers. I glanced next to me to see a man with a shaggy beard, smoking from a cigarette. 

“Why are you smoking?” I politely asked. 

“‘Cos it’s good.” The man replied, clearly not wanting to talk and wanting to smoke. Less talking, more smoking would be his motto. 

“Smoking is bad for the envi-”

“Shut up, I don’t care.” The man grunted, hurrying off. The smell of smoke hung heavily in the air, stubbornly staying. No more smell of hamburger.

Imagine this:

A taxi honking and the distant chatter of people. The neon signs that glowed brightly-each having their own design. Times Square full of laughter ringing across buildings. Restaurants wide open to allow aromas leak out, attracting bypassers. The clicking of shoes and juicy gossip you could pick up on. The ringing of a store-bell as someone walked into one. The tires squeaking on the road…

That was New York. 

Even with all the pee smell gone, it was New York.

And New York was my home.

New York was my home. 

March 17, 2021 15:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

63 comments

If your wondering why there's that giant space there, it's because I'm trying to import a picture (copy & paste.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:20 Mar 20, 2021

NooOoOoOoOoOooOoOoO you were almost at 2,000 again but the freaking downvoters caught up to me. I'm so so so so so sorry this is happening to you Blxxii. You are such a kind and amazing person and that number doesnt define you nor your writing. Remember that ok? Also I'm running out of comments to upvote, so when you see this would you mind spamming? thanksXD

Reply

Show 0 replies

Also: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆...

Reply

:33333333333333333333333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:06 Mar 17, 2021

Jeez. All of these stories are making me want to go to cities that I can't go to because of C*rona aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I laughed in this story. I felt sad. A smile lit my face at some points. You made me feel so many things in less than 3k words. I applaud you for that. You captured the "feel" of this story so well. You didn't sugarcoat the city, so there were things about smells, muggers, smoking. I love that about this story. It's awfully realistic. But you didn't paint NYC in a completely bad light, either. The balance of those two t...

Reply

16:11 Mar 17, 2021

Also, lemme just... ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Reply

HEY! Now i have to fix my door againnnnnnn :< XD Thank you soo much! The city is really nice-and I'm speaking from memory (I used to live near New York.) Thank you so much for the stars! I don't really understand the fountain one-is it the same or am I blind? I'm pretty sure I'm blind.

Reply

16:28 Mar 17, 2021

XDDD Np :) Really? You're so luckyyyy!!! Oh lol. You wrote Mulberry ST with two L's (Mullberry). The correct spelling is "Mulberry". I'm sorryyy I'm being so pickyyyyy

Reply

Nah your not being picky-your just being helpful (and might I add breaking my door.) Whens your next story gonna come out???

Reply

16:34 Mar 17, 2021

😂😂😂 Probably a few hours before the deadline XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Skylar Rose
20:23 Mar 20, 2021

I stole my cousins account so now I can upvote even more muhahhahahhahahhahaha -LunaXD

Reply

I'm at 300 :l

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:40 Mar 20, 2021

Ya wanna hear a joke?

Reply

Yes pleaseee

Reply

B. W.
19:49 Mar 20, 2021

Knock knock

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wow..... *teleports to NY* This is boooooootifulllllll :D Awesomeeee jobbb! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kat Sencen
03:56 Mar 23, 2021

I don't get why they're not just removing the down button- it either leads to discouragement or, much worse, downvoting.

Reply

I KNOW! I'm messaged them a gazzilon times *REMOVE THE DOWNVOTE BUTTON* and list reasons below.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:07 Mar 21, 2021

Heyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
10:13 Jun 29, 2021

Nice story, Blixxii! I really liked the way you described NYC. Yes. every big metropolis has a bittersweet side. I absolutely loved this story! Awesome work! Also, ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆...

Reply

oml thank you sooo much <3

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:01 Jul 03, 2021

Welcome! Please do read and comment on my stories too!

Reply

yes ma'am! (Or sir lol :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:58 Jul 04, 2021

I am definitely a ma'am (but I'd prefer sis or something on that lines....)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:07 Mar 27, 2021

I like honest stories and this was one of them. I like the way you present the details and the way we follow the protagonist around, through the memories. The details were great: the cigarette smoke. The littered streets. The strangers and their own awkward lives pressed against the protagonists. I can understand the dilemma of both parents as the taste testers. You did that well. Good job

Reply

Woah! This is full of things! Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:53 Mar 25, 2021

This is so good! I love how you opened the story. It gave your character a personality unlike any other. And sorry to here about all the downvoting. But remember, it doesn’t matter what they think. You need to hold your head high and keep writing. Every piece you write is a work of art!

Reply

Thank you for your feedback & suggestion :)

Reply

22:31 Mar 25, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.