3 comments

East Asian Horror Suspense

The white fabric couch was adorned with colourful throw pillows covered with silk and floral embroideries. Mrs Chong’s rocking chair faced the couch separated by an oval Ming rug on the floor. An antique coffee table was next to the rocking chair. Mrs Chong often turned on the mid-century floral China lamp on it when she was reading. 

Her favourite Travelers by Fan Kuan hung on the wall behind the rocking chair. Mrs Chong would personally dust it daily. That evening, she waited patiently for her grandchildren. She stared at the family portrait on the wall ahead. Her four children - Alex, twins Anthony and Aaron and youngest Cassandra - left home many years ago. Her grandchildren visited during school holidays, and they would have a great time. 

“Where are you, Raymond?” 

“I am coming Ah Ma.”

Mrs Chong rested her head on the rocking chair and drifted to summer 1985.

It has been 20 years. I still remember the sweet and rosy scent of peonies from that garden.

Mr and Mrs Chong and Cassandra had checked-in to the Great Wall Beijing Sheraton Hotel. Alex Chong would graduate with a business degree at the Beijing University of Technology the next morning. Alex stayed with his friends. The twins who studied at the New York University were unable to join them.

It was a sunny morning. Mrs Chong wore an ankle length silk mulberry Qipao dress, her White South Sea pearl studs and bracelet. Cassandra wore a royal blue silk Qipao with diamond teardrop earrings. Her long jet-black hair flowed naturally below her shoulders. The first-year medical student at the National University of Singapore was back for vacation.

“Hurry up! It’s not even your graduation!” Mr Chong called out. The middle-aged man in a dark gray Mao suit had waited for forty-minutes. 

The renowned real estate contractor in Hangzhou built mansions and was one of the most sought-after draughtsman. He was disciplined, woke up at 3.30am daily and jogged with their quick minded pet German Shepherd Kuai and their skillful Doberman Qiao

“Hurry up! The driver is waiting.”

Pa, we are coming. There is two hours before the graduation and the University is 15 minutes away.” Replied Cassandra. 

Mama let’s go. The pearls look fine.” She let out a sigh. “Mama, are you okay?”

“Yes, let’s go. I just had a funny feeling.”

“About?”

“Nothing. Come.”

They joined the reception outside the graduation hall. Alex introduced his friends Chung Lee and Jules Bonnet to Cassandra. The boys looked handsome in their black robes and mortar boards.

Lee from Shanghai studied business. His father was a government official. The dark-haired snooty lad lived a lavish lifestyle. Alex would tell Mrs Chong everything whenever they spoke.

Mama, Lee’s Dad let him use his Hongqi last semester. Either his dad is a mafia, or he is God.” 

“Don’t be rude Alex. He is such a lovely boy.” Mrs Chong firmly responded.

“You have met him only twice Mama! How would you know?”

“I am your mother.” Mrs Chong laughed it off. She was very close to her eldest son. 

Jules from Bordeaux France studied Chinese. His family-owned vineyards. The dark brown-haired lad with sky blue eyes turned heads each time he spoke Chinese. 

Mrs Chong gracefully held a pure white porcelain teacup with her right fingers and the saucer with her left holding it just slightly below the cup. She took a sip of tea and watched Jules.

Mrs Chong was extremely protective of Cassandra and had deep rooted patriotism towards her Chinese culture. She knew Jules since Alex joined the University, but she never trusted him. She was fond of Lee who would five years later go on to become her son-in-law.

It was a grand ceremony. Tears welled in Mrs Chong’s eyes when Alex received his scroll. She told Cassandra that she planned to enlarge the photo to fit an entire wall.

Mama, you have four children, remember?” 

“I know, I am sure we can find space in the house.”

“Space in the house Mama? I want the same wall! It’s not easy to become a doctor and that too from the National University of Singapore. You should build a statue of me for being the brightest in the family!”

“Ah you silly girl. Always fighting for attention.” Mrs Chong replied with a laugh.

She felt it again. The same uneasy and eerie feeling she had at the hotel but brushed it off. 

They flew back to Hangzhou that evening. Alex would join them two days later with Lee and Jules. Alex convinced Mrs Chong to let Jules stay at their place, despite her doubts. The boys planned to holiday in France the following week after spending some time in Hangzhou. 

Mama, they are both good boys. I am responsible for this. Just be nice, okay?” He told Mrs Chong before they left Beijing.

“Do as you wish!” Mrs Chong patted Alex’s cheeks and kissed his forehead.

“You give in to him too easily Mama. You cannot spoil him like this. He gets away with everything.” Said Cassandra.

“Look who is talking. Don’t you get away with everything with your Pa?”

“Well, that’s different Mama. I am your only daughter, and I am the youngest, hence special.” Cassandra spoke cheekily. “Am I right Pa?” She continued.

“Of course, you are special.” Mr Chong replied with a smile.

“It was close to 10pm when they arrived at their large mansion. It was located just ten minutes away from Mr Chong’s latest project, Qiu’s mansion. Their home had a large garden with a koi pond in the center. The family would always enjoy a cup of tea by the pond in the mornings. Mrs Chong spent time reading by the pond during Spring and Autumn. The flower beds around the garden were filled with colourful peonies and Chinese roses. The scent made her happy. 

As soon as they got off their car, Kuai and Qiao leapt around aimlessly, excited to greet them. Mrs Chong attended to the dogs. The servants came out, greeted them, and took the luggage in. Cassandra went inside to unpack and freshen up. 

Mr Chong’s phone rang. He answered the call. He hung up and looked disturbed. 

“What is it?” Mrs Chong asked.

“It’s Xiaoren. She said that Chee received a distress call at 4pm today and left for Qiu’s mansion. Chee has not come home. She tried to call him, but to no avail. She called chief contractor Benji. He too could not be reached. She sounded worried. Could you speak to her?”

“Yes of course.”

Chee was Mr Chong’s very reliable site manager and worked for him for half a decade. He worked relentlessly and was Mr Chong’s favourite employee. Chee married in winter 1984 to his high school sweetheart Xiaoren. 

“I will make some calls and go and check what is happening.” Said Mr Chong.

“At this hour? Why don’t you call the police? I’ll call the driver. You know….”

“They were probably just too busy to respond to the calls. The west wing is not small. It would take at least five days to complete the tiling. Let the driver rest. It’s very late.”

“Oh well. If you say so.”

“If it would make you feel better, I will take Qiao with me. Let Kuai be here with you.”

Laoban.” A soft voice called from behind. It was one of their helpers, Riu.

“What is it Riu?”

“There were many phone calls today. When I picked them up, there were weird sounds that came from them. Someone tried to say something, but the calls got cut off.”

“What time?” Mr Chong intervened.

“Between 4 to 4.30pm.” Replied Riu.

“Okay, you go and check on Cassandra.”

“I’m here Pa.” Cassandra appeared. Riu stepped back into the house.

“What’s happening Pa? Where are you going?”

“To the mansion to check on something.”

“Can I come along?”

“No Cassandra. It’s too late.” Mrs Chong interrupted. 

Mama, you are so boring! You never let me visit the mansion. It’s just a myth. Even if someone had really died in there, I am sure the numerous rituals done by the priests would have cleansed it by now.” Cassandra sulked and stepped back into the house.

 “Oh, this girl.” Mrs Chong just shook her head in disbelief.

Just when Mr Chong was about to get into the car, he received another call. This time it was from Benji.

Benji was a young contractor who has worked for Mr Chong for 10 years. His father had previously worked for Mr Chong’s father. Benji was nice, but competitive. Chee and he had several misunderstandings over the past year, so Mr Chong assigned them separate projects. Qiu’s mansion required them both. 

Mr Chong answered his Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone.

“Benji, what happened? Where is Chee?” Mr Chong asked. 

“Yes, Xiaoren called and said that Chee received a distress call from the mansion at about 4pm. He left to check and has not come home.” He continued.

“Are you sure Benji? Riu said we received some strange calls today at about 4 as well but could not hear what the person said. It can’t be a coincidence, can it?”

Mr Chong looked at his phone.

“What happened?” Asked Mrs Chong.

“He just ended the phone abruptly. Benji said that Chee never came to the mansion and that he would check and update me. He did not sound normal though. I shall go and check personally. Something is not right.” Said Mr Chong.

“When you speak to Xiaoren, don’t tell her that Chee did not go to the mansion.” He continued.

“Where is Chee then?” Asked Mrs Chong, confused.

“I don’t know.” Replied Mr Chong who hurried to his car. Qiao hopped onto the passenger seat, and they drove off.

Mrs Chong waited for Mr Chong at the family room. She picked up the poetry compilation by Su Shifrom the coffee table and sat on her rocking chair. Just as she settled, she suddenly felt something brush her left hand instantly sending shivers up her spine. She dropped the book on the floor and looked around. It was awkward. She gave it a few seconds before she bent forward slowly to pick up the book. It moved a few inches as if someone pulled it. She was startled and sat up. Breathing heavily, she looked at the book again and held the Guan Yin Jade pendant that she wore. 

She sensed some strange presence behind her. Disturbed, she turned to look behind her. There was nothing. Still holding on to her pendant, she got up and picked up the book. The phone on the coffee table rang unexpectedly. She let out a sigh. She let the phone ring for a while and then picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Hello? Who is this?”

Mrs Chong put the receiver down. What was that? It sounded strange. Something is not right. I must alert Chong.

Cassandra had gone to bed. The servants were in their outhouse. Mrs Chong did not want to trouble them. She walked over and opened the front door to let Kuai in, but the brown and black German Shepherd refused to step in. It growled baring its sharp canine and barked fiercely. 

“Stop Kuai. What is wrong?”

Kuai would not stop. Its eyes were focused on something behind Mrs Chong. This time, Mrs Chong refused to turn around because she knew that she was not alone. Just then the electric gate opened, and Mr Chong’s car swerved in. Kuai stopped barking and sat down.

Mr Chong let Qiao out. The dog ran to Kuai and sat quietly.

What happened to Qiao? What stains are those on your pants? Asked Mrs Chong.

“Maybe Qiao is tired. What stains?” 

“Look at the bottom half of your pants.”

“Oh this. Nothing. It was……. dusty and muddy……. house. Maybe ….” He stammered in a low voice while he looked at the stains.

“Why are you not in bed yet? Is everything okay? Why was Kuai barking?”

“I was just reading. Kuai is fine. Just complaining to me for not taking him along to see Alex.” She smiled. 

“Did you find Chee?”

“Benji said that Chee drove to Xiaoshan to check on some electronic parts for the mansion. The reception there could sometimes get bad, so perhaps that is why Chee has not called.”

“Why did he have to do it?”

“He was helping Benji. Benji’s daughter had been unwell the last two days. He could not leave her.”

“I see. Have you informed Xiaoren? It is strange that Chee didn’t because he always told her everything.”

“I did. Let’s get some rest. It has been a long day. 

They settled in bed after checking on Cassandra.

Mrs Chong woke up to a beautiful morning. Mr Chong had left for work early. Cassandra had gone to the library to borrow some books and shop with her friends.

Mrs Chong enjoyed her cup of Longjing green tea in the garden when she saw a car pull over outside her mansion. She squinted to look. It was Alex, Lee and Jules. They had travelled for 13 hours from Beijing. They joined Mrs Chong in the garden.

    “Mama, I am back. I don’t have to study anymore.” Alex said happily as he hugged his Mother.

    “Good to have you back.” Mrs Chong hugged him. She welcomed Lee and Jules to join her.

    “Would you like some tea?”

    “No Mama. We had coffee and are tired from the trip. We just want to freshen up first and sleep.” Alex replied and took his friends into the house. Mrs Chong observed Jules until he disappeared around the corner that led to the main door. Maybe he is a good boy. She smiled and drank her tea. The boys only woke up at 6 that evening. 

They had not heard from Chee the whole day. Xiaoren kept calling Mrs Chong to check. She told Mrs Chong that the pregnancy made her nauseous, and she felt alone without Chee. Mrs Chong invited her to stay over but she refused. Mr Chong was not reachable the whole day. Mrs Chong was frustrated. The incident the night before bothered her.

The boys joined Cassandra and Mrs Chong for dinner at the dining table.

Mama, there is so much of food.”

“Eat all you can Alex. You boys must be hungry.” Mrs Chong smiled. 

Cassandra just rolled her eyes at Alex, who decided to ignore her and enjoy his food.

There were platters and bowls of food on the table – the west lake fish in sweet and sour sauce, cat ear noodles, stir fried prawns with Longjing tea, congbaohui pancakes, the Dongpo pork and his favourite dumplings, Xiaolongbao. Mrs Chong served them some specially brewed red date tea.

After dinner, the boys decided to go out for a drive. Mrs Chong sent them off. She gave Alex a set of spare keys. Cassandra excused herself and went to her room.

Just as Mrs Chong was about to close the door, Mr Chong came back. 

“Where were you?”

“Work. I don’t want dinner. I am going to bed.”

“Where…Chee?” Before she could ask him, he walked away.

Mrs Chong was curious. Maybe he was tired. She was restless. She asked the driver to send her other servant Hui to accompany Xiaoren. 

It was 10pm when she went to bed after checking on Cassandra. The mansion was dark except for the garden, porch, and corridor lights.

Mrs Chong woke up to a loud noise. She looked at the alarm clock. It was almost 2am. Mr Chong was snoring away. She gently tapped his back, and he stopped. She stepped out of her room and checked on Cassandra, Alex and his friends. They were sound asleep. She went downstairs to the living area. 

When she turned on the lights, she covered her mouth with her hands. The family photo was on the floor and the glass frame had shattered into pieces. How could this happen? It was drilled to the wall! Her hands started to shiver. 

Mrs Chong quickly called the outhouse and woke Riu up. Riu helped to clean the floor and the carpet. Mrs Chong did not want the children to accidentally step on the glass pieces. She felt very uneasy and could not sleep. Riu accompanied her at the family area as she rested on the rocking chair.

   “This is not a good sign. This is not a good sign.” Mrs Chong murmured softly. 

  She rested her head on the rocking chair and stared at the blank wall ahead of her.

She was awakened by Cassandra’s loud and panicky voice. 

Mama, read this! The west wing of Qiu’s mansion went down in flames last night. They found a charred body. Where is Pa?” Cassandra was anxious as she pointed her finger to the front page of the China Daily newspaper. 

“What? How?” Mrs Chong was shocked. Whose body? How is it possible?” Mrs Chong sounded hysterical.

Alex, Lee and Jules came running to the family room when they heard the chaos.

“What happened Mama? Calm down.” Alex held his mother tight.

Cassandra showed him the newspaper.

Alex looked at Lee and Jules. 

“What is it?” Asked Cassandra curiously.

“Nothing. Nothing.”

“No, you exchanged glances. What is it?”

“Nothing Cassandra. Pa called and informed me earlier. That’s all!” Replied Alex firmly.

“Where is Pa?” Asked Mrs Chong.

“With the police.”

The phone rang.

Alex answered

“Yes Pa we read. 

“Xiaoren? What was she doing there so late?”

“Errr…. I ….I …..assumed ….. late night.”

“Why would she look for Chee there?” Alex was agitated. Cassandra watched him. Jules looked at Lee. 

The call ended.

It was Xiaoren’s body.

Mrs Chong fell back on the couch. She said nothing.

“You know something don’t you?” Cassandra whispered to Alex.

“No!”

The rocking chair slowly moved back and forth.









June 24, 2021 21:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

03:33 Jun 29, 2021

Oh nooo!! What happen nexttt

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jac Jac
15:28 Jun 25, 2021

Part 3 please! Can’t wait to find out what happened!

Reply

Shanthini Singam
18:02 Jun 25, 2021

Definitely. Thanks for the encouragement Jac

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.