19 comments

Romance

LAURA

"A blind date?!" I shout.

HUNTER

"What?" I say after my friends tell me they set me up for a blind date.

LAURA

This is not happining.

I know she cares about me, and want me to get a boyfriend, but I draw a line at blind dates. Usaully. I don't have anything aganist the boy, I just don't want to date someone I don't know.

Sadly, my friend, Kit, already arranged everything. I'm meeting this guy at 9:00 at the Island Grill restaurant. I don't want to stand up some random guy, so I guess I'm going.

HUNTER

"Guys, there is no way this is going to work." I tell my friends.

They told me this was happening today. While we were in the car. Just now.

They think I need a girlfriend. I told them that just because they have girlfriends, didn't mean I needed one.

They told me to deal with it.

Usually, I wouldn't go. But, Abe said everythings already set up, and if I didn't go, then I'd be leaving this girl at a restaurant by herself.

I'm too much of a gentleman to do that.

So, I let them drive me.

LAURA

Kit's been my best friend since elementry school. We drifted apart a little in middle school, since we realized how different we are. I had no friends in ninth grade other than her, and I barely saw her. She was going to parties, and hooking up with people, and would rarely talk to me. One day, she had a really bad break-up, and came to my house, crying. I comforted her, and convinced her he wasn't worth it. We were better friends after that. Now, we share an apartment.

HUNTER

Duke looks back at me. "You okay, dude?" I nod absently.

Duke and Abe have been my best and only friends for a long time. I met Duke first, and he was already friends with Abe, so I just ended up hanging out with them.

Duke has olive skin, and short light brown hair that is pulled away from his face with a bandana. It shouldn't look right, but it does. He's well built, but hates sports, like me. He's really smart, but doesn't brag about it.

Abe has light brown skin, and short dreads. He's on the football team, but I have no clue what position he plays, since I hate sports. He's not great in school, but Duke and I help him so he gets by.

LAURA

I'm shockingly good at realationship advice, even though I've only dated a few people. Which leads us back to now.

I'm in Kit's messy bedroom. She has a big mirror over her desk, like the ones movie stars use. I'm sitting in a pink chair in front of it, and she's behind me, doing my hair.

I look at myself in the mirror, dissappointed at how plain I look compared to her.

She has long, curly blonde hair. I have straight brown hair. She has soft, tan skin. I have light skin and freckles. The only prettier part of me, is my eyes. I have deep blue eyes, with green specks. Sadly, you can barely see them behind the round glasses I wear.

She's talking about some cute boy she saw, and I'm barely listening.

I'm thinking about my dream boy.

HUNTER

I'd drive myself, but my cars in the shop. I'm assuming they'll pick me up?

I check my reflection in the back window of Abe's car. I look... okay? My short frizzy black hair looks decent, and my clothes are fine. My marble necklace might be a bit much, though. I have dark brown skin, and hazel eyes. I don't think I look 'hot', but I don't look ugly either.

LAURA

I don't want to date someone based on looks. I want to love someone who is kind, caring, honest, and respectful. I don't judge people, even though I know people judge me. The annoying thing, is that they don't think I can hear them. But I don't care what they think. At all.

Ok, I do. A little bit.

"Laur! Are you even listening?" Kit says.

I blink, then smile sheepishly at her. "Sorry. What did you say?"

"Are you ready for the date?" She asks me.

I nod. "Yeah."

She starts telling me things to remember to do, but, again, I'm not listening.

An alarm on my phone goes off, and I look at it.

8:30- Go to Island Grill for date.

"Well, I guess I'd better go." I tell Kit.

HUNTER

At about 8:55, we pull up in the parking lot of Island Grill, my favorite restuarant. We go inside.

It's a building, with walls painted like a views of an ocean. Everything is blue or yellow. It isn't a huge place, since it's not super popular. There are four rows of tables to sit at, with booths on the left, and two person tables on the right. There's a small waiting are with blue and yellow folding chairs, and a bored looking waitress. We wait there.

"Ok, here's the plan." Abe says, after telling the waitress something. "She'll be here by nine. You go and sit at... that table," He points at one of the one person tables. "And talk. Any questions?"

" Uh, yeah. Starting with, do I have to?" I ask.

"Yes. We're literatlly already here. You can't leave now!" Duke says.

"Uhg, fine." I say, giving in.

LAURA

I get there at 8:58. I park my car far from the door so I can have some time to think.

It's not enough.

I get to the door as two boys leave. One holds the door for me, and I smile at him as I walk inside.

Kit told me to ask for table 4-8. I do.

I wait in a chair, across the room from a boy with cool necklace. At nine, a waiter with short blond hair tells me my table is ready.

HUNTER

The girl with the round glasses gets up, and I'm alone.

After a minute, the waiter gets me.

I follow him to a table.

LAURA

The boy with the necklace is coming towards the table. Is he my date?

HUNTER

I see the girl with the glasses at a table ahead of where were headed.

Is she my date?

LAURA

Nope. He walks past.

HUNTER

I guess not. I'm two tables behind her.

LAURA

The waiter brings a bowl of bread to the table. I thank him and wait.

And wait.

And wait.

HUNTER

Since she's not here, and it's 9:23, I decide to order.

When my burger and fries get there at 9:28, I'm worried.

LAURA

At 9:30 I order food. I'm hungry.

It gets there at 9:36, and I'm still here alone.

So, I text Kit.

------------------------------------------

Me: Kit! I'm freaking out! He's not here!

Kit: R U serious?

Me: Yes!

Kit: I am so sorry this happened.

Me: I just don't belive this.

Kit: What are you going to do?

Me: Wait until ten. Then I'll leave.

Kit: Will you be okay?

Me: Yeah. Of course.

------------------------------------------

I am so not okay.

HUNTER

Yeah, I don't think she's coming.

LAURA

At 9:56 I can't keep waiting. I wave to the waiter, and pay. Then I get up, and walk quickly out the door.

Dang it. I'm going to cry.

HUNTER

It's ten. I'm leaving.

I pay for my meal, and go outside.

Dang it. I need a ride.

I go towards a bench that I know is on the side of the building to text someeone. But, someone's already there.

It's the girl with the glasses. She's crying.

LAURA

"Are you okay?" I hear.

I look up. It's the boy with the necklace.

Okay, I know I probaly should've cried in my car, but then I would've pressured myself to drive, and crying while driving is not a great experince.

"Uh, yeah. I'm okay." I say, trying to sound convincing.

He bites his lip. "Um, you don't really look okay."

And then I start crying again.

HUNTER

Before I know what I'm doing, I sit down, and wrap my arms around her.

I don't know if it's helping, but I'm whispering things, like "It's okay." and "Don't worry."

LAURA

He's actually helping. I'm not usually a hugger, but for some reason, I don't want him to let go. He's bigger than me, and he's warm, so his warmth covers me, which is nice.

But, of course, he lets go.

I turn to thank him, and our lips connect for a second.

Both of our eyes widen, and he starts apologizing.

HUNTER

Oh my god.

I did not mean to kiss her. Was that a kiss? I seriously don't know. She has beautiful eyes though. And it wasn't the worst kiss in the world.

LAURA

"It's okay, it's okay." I assure him. He looks skeptical, but lets it go.

Kit is not going to believe this.

HUNTER

Now, I feel like I have to talk to her. I mean, I at least want to know her name. I would've asked anyway. She's cute, and I already "kissed" her. So, "What's your name."

LAURA

He's nice. Kind is on my list.

"Laura Davis." I say. "Whats your name?"

He smiles. "Hunter Fields."

"Nice to meet you." I reply.

I keep looking at his lips. They were soft, and- STOP IT LAURA.

HUNTER

Her eyes are beautiful.

Neither of us are saying anything. We're just staring at each other. This is weird. I don't know what to do. Duke would know excactly what to say. I don't, and I'll probaly say the wrong thing, and completly mess everything up.

LAURA

"So, uh, why were you crying?" He asks. He looks nervous.

I bit my lip. "I was supposed to be on a blind date, but the person never showed up."

He tenses. "Oh my god. Are you serious?"

"Um, yes? Why?"

"Because the same thing happened to me." He says.

Was HE my date? But...we were both there. I don't get it.

HUNTER

She looks deep in thought. And a little mad.

"I am so sorry. I didn't even know about this until tonight, and my friends set up the whole thing." I say. "I'm trying to be as honest as I can, because I don't want you to hate me."

LAURA

Honest. Hmm.

HUNTER

Now I can't stop talking. "I don't really have lots of friends, and I've rarely had a girlfriend. And then I accidently kiss a hot girl I want to be friends with," OH MY GOD, SHUT UP. "And I might have messed everything up, but I really didn't mean to, I just care about peoples feelings, which is why I'm rambling on, and on. I'm really not a bad person. I've go to a really good school, and have great friends and family." I'm telling her everything about me now. WHY CAN'T I STOP?

LAURA

Caring. Huh.

HUNTER

I can't shut up. I can't shut up.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect you or anything by kissing you. I didn't mean to. If I could've, I would have asked, and respected your choices."

LAURA

Respectful?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW? NO WAY IS THIS HAPPINING.

HUNTER

"I'm not trying to say your a bad kisser or anything, and it's not like I've kissed a bunch of people. I just- "

She kissed me.

LAURA

OH MY GOD. WHERE IS MY BRAIN RIGHT NOW?

HUNTER

She looks shocked when she pulls back. She presses a hand to her forehead.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. I can not believe I just did that. Oh my god."

I'm shocked. I don't even know what to say.

Is it bad if I kind of want her to do that again?

LAURA

Now I'm rambling. Honestly, he told so much about himself, and he is my literal dream guy.

"I'm sorry-I didn't mean to-I-Jeez-I am SO sorry. I wasn't thinking at all. "

Now HE kisses me.

HUNTER

I have no idea what is happening.

But I like it.

LAURA

This kiss last much longer then the others, because I kiss him back. I don't know what we're doing, but for some reason it's nice. And I don't want to stop.

HUNTER

There is no way Duke and Abe are going to believe this.

I don't believe this.

But it's happening.

Our arms are hanging akwardly at our sides, so I slowly bring a hand to her cheek.

LAURA

This isn't what I thought would happen today.

He puts a hand on my face, and I bring mine to his waist.

He's a REALLY good kisser.

His lips are soft, and so is his toungue, which ended up in my mouth, somehow.

I assume I'm not doing a bad job, since he's still kissing me.

HUNTER

She's a good kisser.

She melted into me a while ago, and we're pressed aganist each other.

How or why this is happening?

She doesn't care.

I decide I don't either.

LAURA

How long have we been kissing? This is the longest kiss I've ever had in my life.

HUNTER

I really don't want to have to stop, but it's getting late. We'll have to.

LAURA

When we finally break apart, I check my watch, and see we were making out for nearly an hour.

I just made out with a guy I don't know.

And I kinda loved it.

HUNTER

"Can I have your number?" I ask.

She snorts. "Yeah."

Her hair's a little messed up because my hands were in it. Honestly, it makes her look even hotter.

I pass her my phone, and she types in her number, then gives it back.

"So..." I say.

She smiles. Her phone buzzes. She looks at it. Then curses.

"I've got to go. My freind..." She stands, and looks sorry.

I stand too. "No, it's okay. Go ahead. I'll call you."

LAURA

I'm in my car, and driving away. Now I can process what just happened.

I JUST MADE OUT WITH SOME RANDOM GUY FOR ALMOT AN HOUR, AND GOT HIS NUMBER.

No way is Kit gonna believe me.

HUNTER

Shoot.

I still need a ride.

I call Abe.

LAURA

I drive to the apartment I share with Kit. It's almost 11:30.

She's still up, and she jumps up when she sees me.

"You are VERY late. What happened?" She says, exicited.

So, I tell her.

HUNTER

I don't think they believe me.

Abe picked me up, and drove us to the apartment the three of us share. They actually wanted to hear everything, and I told them.

They've been quiet for a while, so I'm a little worried.

Finally, Duke says something.

"Are you SERIOUS?" He says loudly.

Abe shook his head. "I can't believe that worked."

"Did you get her number?" Duke asks. I nod.

"You are so lucky." Abe says.

LAURA

Kit belives me. But only because I'm almost always honest to her.

"How is this possible?" She says for the 50th time.

While she's freaking out, I look at my phone. I really hope he'll text me. I mean, he asked for my number.

HUNTER

Duke and Abe are going on and on about how lucky I am, and it's annoying, so I take out my phone, and text her.

------------------------------------

Me: Hi? It's Hunter.

------------------------------------

LAURA

He texted me!

I answer it. Kit's not even paying attention.

TEXT MESSAGES

---------------------------------------

L: Hi, Hunter. It's Laura.

H: Oh, good.

L: So, how are you.

H: Fine. My ears hurt.

L: What?

H: I told Duke and Abe, the ones who set up the date. They talk too much.

L: Oh, yeah, same. My friend, Kit, is freaking out.

H: Just so you know, their reading over my shoulder right now.

L: Hi Duke and Abe.

H: They say hi. Also, they want me to ask if you want to go get coffee sometime.

L: Do you want to?

H: Maybe not coffee. Coffee is disgusting.

L: Yeah. Maybe the Cake Walk?

H: Okay. When are you free?

L: All week.

H: Ok. Do you want to go tomorrow at 3?

L: Ok.

H: great.

LAURA

I shriek, and Kit stops.

"Are you okay?" She demands.

I pass her the phone, a silly smile on my face.

She reads. "Laur! Your going on a date tomorrow!

"I know, I know! I don't belive it."

HUNTER

I'm grinning, and Duke and Abe are shocked.

LAURA

I'm going on a date!

HUNTER

I'm tired, and so I tell Duke and Abe I'm going to sleep.

LAURA

Kit demands I get sleep so I look good for tomorrow.

I'm too happy to argue.

HUNTER

I fall asleep thinking about what happened.

LAURA

I slowly fall asleep thinking about how lucky I am.

August 23, 2020 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Philip Clayberg
23:23 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you for writing this story. You captured the emotional ups and downs, confusion, uncertainty, chance-taking, etc. really well. One question: Is there going to be a sequel (I hope)? I'd like to see where Laura and Hunter's evolving relationship goes next. Btw, I confess that when I wrote a story for this prompt, I was probably a little bit too literal: I wrote a blind date story about two characters who really *were* blind. But it seemed more interesting to me that way (especially since I've been near-sighted and worn glasse...

Reply

Ari Berri
23:27 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback. Some of the other stories mention them, but I can probably do a sequel. And no, I'm not really, though that would be super cool. He's one of my favorite charaters.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
02:08 Nov 14, 2020

You're very welcome. If a story really gets me interested, I try to do more than simply click the "like" hand (or whatever it's called). Which stories also have Laura and Hunter in them? I think this is the only one of yours that I've read so far. I also like Sirius Black. (Characters who aren't all good or all bad are the kind I like.) He starts off sounding like a bad guy (working for Voldemort) and then it turns out that that's all bosh and he's really rather nice. His house-elf, however, leaves much to be desired.

Reply

Ari Berri
17:55 Nov 14, 2020

The other one just mentions them, but its Memories, and Hunters friend Abe is in Okay and Pretending.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:19 Nov 14, 2020

Thank you for the information. I'll go read those next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Clayberg
21:26 Nov 16, 2020

Just noticed that you changed your username. Good name to change it to. My late stepfather's name was Olaf (he passed away last year at age 91). His son, who is still alive and my stepbrother, is also named Olaf.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Kinley
18:30 Aug 29, 2020

Very cute story! You built up the anticipation nicely. I found myself anxiously reading to find out if they ended up meeting after all! However, I feel like your story went on longer than it needed to. I would end it when they figure out their situation on the bench and they kiss. But great story!

Reply

Ari Berri
19:51 Nov 30, 2020

I know this is a really late answer, but thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yes No
21:17 Aug 29, 2020

Greetings Marilyn! I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Hunter and Laura's similar perspectives, what's amusing is that even though they recount the same subject material such as not wanting to go on the blind date, or reminiscing about their friendship, the opposite perspective recounts the same order even though they are paradoxical people. Your choice of integrating the story with the subject material at hand is very well as well since the reader gets to experience different points of view while observing their mental reactions which amus...

Reply

Ari Berri
19:54 Nov 30, 2020

I'm sorry I'm answering this so late, but thank you! I think I've improved on my writing. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chloe McLellan
13:13 Jun 08, 2021

I wish I was this lucky in life. Great job on the writing there are just a few spelling errors but otherwise it was amazing.

Reply

Ari Berri
00:27 Jun 25, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
12:06 Mar 25, 2021

✴️

Reply

Ari Berri
14:35 Mar 25, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:11 Mar 25, 2021

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

okay i read your bio... 🐍 here's the snake. in answer to question 5 (what word is so fragile it breaks when you say it?) silence. that's a helluva of a long bio!

Reply

Ari Berri
21:18 Feb 23, 2021

You got it! XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:46 Feb 13, 2021

How you juggled the perspectives was so awesome, your stories are amazing. And I wanted to say that your earlier standalones are kinda better than your recent ones? Okay, I am sorry, I know that’s the opposite of praise and also that I get pretty rude on feedback, sorry. Your SERIES ARE more cool and polished. I love series, they are sooooo fun! Tho, I also love standalones, especially your earlier ones, like this one.

Reply

Ari Berri
15:14 Mar 25, 2021

I have no idea how I didn't see this before, but thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.