0 comments

Romance

 I looked in the mirror and a beautiful, tall, brunette woman stared back at me. She was pale with her hair done up in a very intricate way with pearls placed strategically to keep every lock in place. She wore a floor-length ball gown and the large bottom enunciated her small waist. All these details big and small made her even prettier but the thing that stood out the most was her dark eyes. They were alight with joy and excitement. Full of love and nervousness.

The door suddenly slammed open. "Cadence! Cadence! Come quick! Something's happening!" one of my bridesmaids yelled, disheveled and out of breath. I looked at her in surprise but didn't ask any questions. I just ran after her as quickly as I could as my heels and dress would allow. We ended up outside my mother's door and that made me think she spilled wine down her dress or something worse. I braced myself and nodded as to signal she should open the door. As the door opened I saw my fiancé, Phil, and he had his arms around someone. My soon to be husband had his arms around someone, he had his lips kissing someone. Someone who isn't me but someone who did give birth to me.

"Blair. Tell everyone the wedding is canceled, the groom has had a severe accident and tell his parents to come quick. Also, Maddy stat. Thanks, I'll be in my room getting changed." she quickly nods and runs off. I walk slowly to my room, taking deep breaths. I sit down at my vanity and slowly pull the pins out of my hair as it all falls down in dark, soft girls around my very pale face. I then take off the shoes and feel sweet relief. The door opens slowly and there stands Maddy. I quickly stand up and turn around, she moves forward and quickly undoes the buttons on my dress. I let it fall to the floor and put on the clothes I wore here. A large blue hoodie, Phil's hoodie in fact, and a pair of cut off shorts. I slipped on my rainbow-colored flip flops and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Girl, what's wrong with that scumbag?" She commonly referred to Phil and my mother as a scumbag so I couldn't tell who she meant.

"Well, wanna go with me to go see what they have to say?" A ferocious smile spreads across her face and a twinkle in her eyes. We walked down the hall and the two love birds were sitting on separate ends of the room. Phil's parents are in the room muttering and pacing and my mom has a guilty look on her face. I cleared my throat, all eyes looked up to me.

"Well hello, Mr. and Mrs. Woodbury. I know we all got used to the mom and dad calling but well, you know." Everyone looked very uncomfortable and so I continued, "Well if everyone except for the two and Maddy leave, I'd appreciate that very much." The Woodbury's quickly shuffled out of the room and Maddy pulled a chair to in front of the door. She sat down and got comfortable. She winked to signify she was good and then I burst into tears. The anger and sadness that had been welling up inside of me finally came spilling out.

"Cadie, I- We're- I am so"

"SHUT UP! PHIL, SHUT UP!" I continued to sob and as I started to catch my breath I started my rant.

"I was in my wedding dress. I was in my wedding dress ready to get married and then I have a bridesmaid run in and tell me that something is amiss. So, I run down here and what do I find? What do I find twenty minutes before I get married? My mother, Emily Ball, kissing, no making out, with my soon to be husband, Phillip Woodbury. Now, imagine my shock. How long has this been going on?" I look at both of them expectantly and my mom's brow furrows while Phil's mouth opens and closes.

"Baby,"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!" I screamed. I started to pace and it took a lot of will power to not bite my nails.

"Okay, okay, Cadence, I'm so sorry but it was just cold feet before the greatest day of my life." I burst out laughing, a cold and dark laugh. Then I suddenly stopped and looked at my mother. She was supposed to care about me and love me, not him. If they had something going on they could have told me but they didn't so I stood there and started. I stood there and waited. I started tapping my foot until I concluded I didn't care. I just couldn't care. I turned around and Maddy stood up immediately. I walk up to her and whispered in her ear,

"I could go for a good juicy steak and I have his card." We shared identical smiles and then hurriedly left. 

We ran out of the plaza and burst out smiling. We jumped into her bright blue jeep and cranked up the radio. We drove around aimlessly until we reached an outhouse steakhouse. We ran in and ordered the most expensive and most likely delicious dishes.

"So, what now?"

"I don't know. We're definitely done and I'll be keeping my apartment. I can sell my dress and hey, no more wedding diet." 

"Yes but, what about your mom? She's still your mom but what she did was despicable"

"Eh, I just need some time away from her and the stuff's back." Maddy went silent and she looked sad. Tears started welling up in my eyes thinking about the cuts on my thighs and the thoughts in my head.

"Let's go! Let's just go!" I looked up confused and Maddy was already out of her seat grabbing me by the shoulders.

"Let's eat our food first at least." She clapped her hands and squealed and so we dug in. Having the best meal I've ever had and what they said about free food is true. It tastes better when money isn't involved.

July 27, 2020 12:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.