A night to remember,

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

4 comments

Horror Romance

1 am, Crestclove street

In the dark of night, the moon shone down onto the empty street and the towering houses that lined it. Owls hooted and the nightly orchestra of unseen  creatures buzzed in the background of the otherwise silent vicinity.  

In the far end of the road where the street thinned out, a lone house stood out like a sore thumb. The canopied roof touched the sky with bright light streaming from clouded windows. A faint bass of party music reverberated through whatever crack and entrance the house had.

A girl lurked by the front door, looking around at her surroundings with a frown on her lips. Seconds later, a car pulled up the driveway, flashing her frame with rays of yellow from its headlights.

Blinded for a second, the girl scowled and crossed her arms over her chest, “You’re late, Jack!”

“You’re early! Who comes ten minutes early for a party?” Jack, a tall man built like a lumberjack, picked up his little woman and squished her gently in his meaty arms. “You look pretty,” Chuckling softly, he kissed her forehead and smiled down at her, roaming his gaze over her tight pants and dipping top.

“Th-Thanks,” The teenager mumbled, blushing under his gaze and wiggling against his stocky frame and arms . “You need to stop picking me up like a doll,” Whining softly, she braced against his muscular shoulder and wiggled harder.

“Nah, you need to stop wiggling, Hannah,” Jack cleared his throat, cheeks tinting red.

Hannah stilled in his arms, feeling his not so subtle problem pressed against her thigh. Her face warmed and gaze lowered. “Oh…l-let me down.”

Nodding slightly, he loosened his grip and let her slide off his body. “Jack-“ Hannah gasped when he cupped her small face and claimed her lips in a gentle kiss.

Moaning softly, her hands slid down his forearms, nails digging into his muscles as their kiss took a dirty turn. On her toes, the girl fought back, sliding her tongue across his and suckling his luscious bottom lip.

The door burst open. “Hey Lov- Get a room you two!” A blond guy stood at the frame with an amused smile on his lips.

Jack and Hannah pulled away, blushing at the newcomer’s exclamation. Jack cleared his throat, reclaiming a shard of his dignity and slid forward to shake the man’s hand.

“Hey Owen, thanks for inviting us for the party,” He smiled.

Owen nodded, shaking the guy’s hand firmly. “C’mon in, it’s already started,” He opened the door for the couple.

“Thanks Owen,” Hanna smiled, reaching out for Jack, her small hand wrapped around his pinkie and ring fingers.

“Your welcome, Hannah,” Owen smiled and led the couple inside.

Passing through a hallway, they entered a spacious living room with massive stereos and television. Music blared from amps hidden from view, and the coloured lights flickered, washing the people below with a sensual red and blue, their bodies grinding and drunk dancing to the beat.

“Drinks and food are in the kitchen, here you rest or dance,” Owen shouted against deafening beats, as people entered the living room. Some people joined the dancing crowd in the centre room while the remaining rested on the couch with drinks in their hands.

“Your brownies will be here any moment,” In a hushed voice, Owen addressed the people sitting on the couch.

“Thanks man,” One of the men gave the host a thumbs up and returned to making out with the teenage girl beside him.

Owen shook his head and led the couple to the kitchen. “Drinks?”

“Yup one for me, an orange juice for the lady,” Jack stated.

Owen snorted. “OJ at a party?”

“Being drunk is not on my schedule,” Hannah stated and crossed her arms

“You’re boring,” Owen rolled his eyes and handed the couple a glass of beer each, “I’m updating your schedule, drink!”

Hannah scowled and reluctantly took the beer. “If I do something stupid, it’s all on him,” She pointed at Owen, her pretty face pulled into a small pout.

Chuckling lightly, Jack wrapped his arms around his girl and kissed her hair. “I’ll stop you from doing stupid things alright? Now drink, enjoy the night, and be free!” He squeezed her shoulder and flushed her against his muscular frame.

Hannah glared at him and hissed lowly, “Stop that!” Jack responded by poking his tongue at her.

Owen stared at his two friends, a tinge of jealousy clouding his brown eyes, “Get a fuckin room, there are lots of vacant ones upstairs.”

Jack chuckled and wiggled his brows, “Later, right now, I need a dance,” Lacing their fingers, the lumberjack dragged his little fae to the living room, “Owie! Nice disco ball!”

Owen rolled his eyes and followed his two friends. “Installed it today.... and stop calling me that!” The man shouted over the blaring music and hung by the kitchen door, admiring his two friends laughing and dancing without a care in the world.

A light tap on his back brought him out of his reverie. “Hey, Owen?” Turning around, Owen faced a red-haired girl, “Hey, Kate?” His lips thinning as Kate faked a smile.

“You have a great place, thanks for inviting me,” Kate handed him a drink.

“Your welcome,” Owen raised his drink and feigned a smile.

An awkward silence stretched between them. “We good?” Kate noted the man’s strained smile.

“Yeah, we’re good,” Owen nodded, his grip tightening on the cup.

“I’m sorry for-“

“Owen!” Hannah smiled and slid next to him with a bright smile, “I’m sorry but we need this guy,” Wrapping her arm around Owen’s, Hannah shot one last smile at Kate and tugged his arm.

“Sure!” Kate smiled, eyes following the duo. “Idiot,” She rolled her eyes and walked off to join her clique.

“Where are we going, Hannah?” Owen frowned as his friend continued to drag him upstairs. “You’ll see,” Laughing softly, she hastened her pace and turned left where she assumed was Owen’s room.

When they reached his room, Hannah faced Owen with a bright smile. “Close your eyes!”

“Hannah what is it?” Owen smirked, rolling his eyes at her antics.

“Just close your eyes, Owen!” She insisted.

“Fine,” Owen closed his eyes. Brows furrowed when her warm hand pressed against his eyes and the other one interlocked with his. The door clicked followed by a faint creak and hushed whispers.

“You can open them now~”

Owen opened his eyes only to see Hannah’s hand. “You need to remove your hand first,” He stated blandly.

“OH! Sorry!” Hannah laughed.

“Surprise!” Jack grinned with his hands in the air. Beside him on the study table was a cake with four candles lit on it. 

“Happy birthday, Owen!” Hannah cheered.

Owen stared at the two, heart brimming with warmth. “Thanks guys.”

Jack laughed nervously, “It’s not grand as your party but this all we could do in five minutes,” He rubbed his nape and gestured the balloons tossed on the bed.

Strings of colour papers hung on the study table, serving as a poor excuse of decoration. Owen neared his friend and pulled him into a tight hug.

Chuckling softly, Jack patted Owen’s back and pulled back. “C’mon there’s one more thing.”

Owen frowned, shifting his gaze from Jack to Hannah. Smiling softly, Hannah pulled a bag from under the bed and placed it on the soft mattress.

“Open it,” Jack nudged Owen, gently pushing him to the bed.

 Owen trudged forward, confusion pinching his features. “You didn’t bring me a bomb, did you?”

“Meh, didn’t have the budget,” Jack chirped sliding behind his girlfriend.

Hannah craned her neck, smiling at Jack as they laced their fingers and eagerly waited for their friend’s reaction.

Unzipping the bag, Owen removed the clothe covering his present. His movements stilled, surprised at their choice of gift, “A typewriter? How?” His fingers slid over the keys, feeling their smoothness.

“It’s not new but-“ Jack began. Owen threw himself at the couple, hugging his friends tight. Eyes shut, he smiled into Jack’s shoulder.

Hannah patted Owen’s back.

“You’re crushing me,” Rasped the woman squished between the two men.

Laughing softly, Owen pulled away and ruffled Hannah’s hair. “How the hell did you know?”

Jack grinned and hugged his girlfriend by the middle, “My little bun guessed it.”

Hannah flushed red. “Stop calling me that,” She whined and puffed her cheek. Chuckling softly, Jack bit her puffed cheek and grinned at Owen.

“You guys are disgustingly cute,” Owen chuckled, tilting his head and gazing at his two friends.

“Thanks,” Jack chuckled and hugged his girlfriend who now resembled a tomato.

“Now you can write all you want, Owen,” Hannah smiled.

“I will, Han-“ Owen’s phone blared cutting off their conversation.

“It’s my alarm,” Clicking his tongue, Owen silenced his alarm and neared the door.

“It’s 2 am, why do you have an alarm?” Jack frowned, confused at his friend’s strange actions.

Owen sighed. “I promised those guys brownies, I didn’t wanna forget and get beaten up again.”

Jackson rolled his eyes and threw his hands in the air. “Why did you even invite your bullies?”

“To work things out, I don’t want trouble again. Stay here, do whatever, have sex or make-out or something, just don’t come out for an hour. Okay?” Owen glanced at Hannah. “Please?”

Hannah sighed and wrapped her arm around Jackson’s meaty one, “I’ll keep him busy.”

 “Oh you sure will,” Her grip on his arm tightened as his searing gaze fell on her.

Owen shook his head at his mushy friends. “If you use the bed, burn the damn sheets,” He pointed an accusing finger at Jack and then at the bed.

“Yes dad, now go. I gotta get busy,” Jack shook his hips with a stupid grin on his face while Hannah facepalmed and hid her embarrassment. 

 “What do you see in him?” Owen stared at Hannah in disbelief.

“I really don’t know,” Hannah mumbled behind her hand.

“Hey! You see my heart, my awesomeness and Jack Jr,” Jack grinned wickedly and wiggled his brows.

“And your tower sized ego,” Owen muttered and opened the door, running out of the room before he saw Hannah kill her lumberjack.

“I have a tower sized thing- Eek!” Jack’s yelp was the last thing he heard before he locked the door from outside.

                                               ***

One and half an hour later.

Jack pulled his shirt over his body, smirking at his girlfriend who covered her head with the sheets. “God you’re cute,” He dug her head out of the sheets and cupped her puffed and heated cheeks, “I love you.”

“I hate you,” She mumbled her lips puckered and eyes looking anywhere but him.

“Suuuure,” He pressed a chaste kiss on her puckered lips and forehead. “Get dressed, we gotta get you home, it’s almost four.”

Hannah nodded and sat up. The sheets fell away from her chest and bunched around her waist, giving her boyfriend the full view of his artwork. Hickeys of different shapes and sizes decorated her skin over her neck and full breasts, each mark taking on a red hue.

“Close your eyes,” Hannah bunched the sheets over her chest and scooted closer to the edge of the bed.

Chuckling lightly, the man pulled a chair and sat down with his leg over his knee. “Nah, I’m good,” He chirped, smug and content with his work.

Huffing softly, Hannah slid off the bed and glared at her boyfriend who met her glare with his smouldering one. “Go on, drop it,” He challenged.

Mustering her courage and swallowing her embarrassment, Hannah dropped the sheets and bravely collected her clothes off the ground all the while ignoring Jack’s searing gaze and whistles.

“Hand them over,” Jack rose to his feet, gently prying her clothes from her dainty hands.

Hannah stared at him as he slid her bra straps up her arms and gently turned her around to hook the bra. Once done, he knelt before her and slid the panties up her thighs, repeating the same with her pants. “If I can undress you, I can dress you as well,” He smirked, sliding her top over her body and pulling her to his chest.

Sighing softly, she enjoyed his warmth and hugged him tighter. As they held each other, a sound of someone retching broke their silence. “Party’s over,” Jack scowled and led his girlfriend out of the room.

“We should wait for Owen,” Hannah said, looking around the empty hallways. Confusion pinched her features at the sight and she tugged Jack’s hand.

“Aren’t these rooms supposed to be filled by now?”

“Yeah,” Jack frowned as they neared the stairs. A cold silence greeted them.

“Did everyone leave?” Hannah tightened her grip on Jack’s arm and glanced outside through the open window beside the stairs. 

“I-“ The lights cut, an eerie darkness surrounded them. The brisk air blew, slamming the window shut.

“Jack!” Hannah jumped and clung onto him. “Shh! I’m here,” Jack wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her against him.

Gaze fixed on the closed window, Hanna stared at the reflection of a red light above their heads. “What’s that?” Her voice raspy and shaky.

Jack followed her gaze. “It’s…” He glanced at the wall noting a camera on the wall with a small red light on it, “a camera.”

 “We should find Owen and get out of he-“ Jack froze.

The floorboard creaked followed by quick heavy footsteps. Swiftly, the couple turned around, only to find an empty hallway and the slightly ajar door of the master bedroom.

Out of nowhere, a soft furry body brushed against Hannah’s leg and slipped between Jack’s leg.

“AH!” Screaming, Hannah jumped and tackled Jack against the wall. The soft furry body wailed like a cat and ran away.

“A cat!” Jack groaned, rubbing his aching back. His anger faded when he found Hannah quaking in his arms and clinging to his shirt.

 “Let’s go,” She mumbled, burying her face into his chest.

Jack patted her back and braced against the wall to stand on his feet. Once stable, he slid out his phone and shined light on the stairway.

“We’ll go downstairs, find Owen and leave. Deal?” He rubbed her shoulder and kissed her forehead.

“Mhm,” Swallowing hard, she mustered her courage to step down the stairs. “Steady, one step at a time,” Jack encouraged with a shaky voice.

As they climbed down the stairs, a faint wheezing and gasping was heard. Hannah fisted his shirt as they approached the third last step of the stairs. “Hello?”

“Her-“ The voice rasped followed by violent coughs.

Out of nowhere, a heavy object fell at their feet, “AH!” Hannah immediately covered her mouth and jumped back, reeling Jack away from the hands that grazed their feet.

The lights returned to life, illuminating the spacious living room-momentarily blinding the couple. Their vision cleared, a sight bodies strewn around the room greeted them. Like a butcher shop, blood and parts of limbs and flesh hung in different corners of the room. To top it all off, a blue lipped Kate struggled at the end of the stairs, gasping for air.

“Ovv-“ She rasped and dropped dead with a brownie in hand. 

Hannah wheezed, staring at their dead classmate, “Jack! We should leave!” She tugged his arm to the direction of the door.

But their horror didn’t end there. A sticky, hot substance dripped from the ceiling, dribbling down Hannah’s cheek. With shaky hand, she touched the liquid and rubbed it between her fingers.

“Jack,” Her voice trembled and craned her head to feel more drops on her forehead.

“What?” Jack followed her gaze, stilling at the sight of a hand hanging from upstairs with blood dripping from the finger.

“Run,” Jack ordered, climbing down the stairs and jumping over their classmate’s dead body.

“Owen!” Jack shouted. “If you’re alive you’re free to join us!”

Carefully stepping over the dead bodies, Jack looked around, searching for his friend.

“Jack he’s dead! Let’s go!” Hannah screamed, tears streaming down her face. Most dead bodies held brownies in their hands while some on the couch beneath the split open disco ball held their throats with froth around their mouths.

“But Owen!” Jack frantically searched around.

“He’s either dead or far away from here!” Hannah yelled, dragging her boyfriend to the hallway, the soft grunts and pained groans growing clearer and louder.

“Put your head down or else I’ll shoot you!” A man yelled, freezing the two teenagers on the spot. Sniffing softly, Hannah grabbed the nearest vase and held it above her head while Jack grabbed another vase.

Nodding slightly, the duo silently stepped into the hallway with their vases held high and prepped to chuck at their killer. The lights went out and a cold metal was pressed against their napes, “Freeze, police!”

Their hearts hammered and throats clogged. “Jack,” Hannah whimpered. “Shh, Hannah, at least we’ll die together,” Jack mumbled.

“Hannah? Jack?” The lights returned, unveiling the chaos.

By the front door, a bearded policeman held down a guy covered in a black cape and a bloodied knife in hand.

“Daddy!” Hannah gasped, tears brimming her eyes.

“Let them go, Mark, they’re my kids,” The older man nodded at the men behind them and freed the two teenagers. 

“Go home, right now,” The man ordered.

“But sir, our friend,” Jack began but the older man cut him off.

“Jackson go home, we’ll inform you.” The policeman ordered.

Nodding slightly, Jack led Hannah out of the door, hugging her close. “That was the worst party ever,” Hannah mumbled, sliding into Jack’s car.

Jack remained silent, pulling away from Owen’s home. “Is he dead?”

“No, he must have escaped,” Hannah touched his shoulder.

“Really?” Hope shined in his blue depths.

“Mhm.”

Unbeknownst to them, the typewriter with a bloody letter was on the backseat.

“THANK YOU.”

-Owen Wester Scott.

“That’s Owen!” Jack exclaimed

“Hello daddy?”

“The Scott boy’s the killer!” 

May 14, 2021 11:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ayush Kakar
02:33 May 26, 2021

I love this story

Reply

Geethu R
17:59 Jun 03, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:29 May 14, 2021

Sweet and best for readers

Reply

Geethu R
11:31 May 14, 2021

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.