0 comments

General

From the minute I walked in she was hostile. Bristling like a cat that has been stroked the wrong way, suspicious of my every move. I was annoyed that Jack had but me in this position, but at the same time, He’d been a good friend to me too, over the years, so I could hardly say no. House clearing should not have been too difficult if it weren’t for the awful atmosphere. I was there as a buffer more than anything. It was very cruel that Jack had only reconciled with his father a year previously and now he was gone. It was amazing and a testament to Jack’s good nature that he’s forgiven his Dad for abandoning his mum when she was vulnerable and pregnant. Jack had never really got on with his late father’s long term girlfriend, Candice, but they had been civil to each other. There was no pretence of any civility now.

I watch Candice rummage through yet another cupboard, throwing the contents onto the floor, desperate.

“You might as well give up looking for it, it’s not anywhere” Jack says.

“I’m not leaving until I’ve found it. I know it exists, I know what he told me” snarls Candice, shooting Jack a filthy look.

“You’ve searched everywhere, you don’t even know the names of the witnesses. Friends from the golf club? That’s what he told you? Could be anyone.”

“I’ve never liked you, you know.” Candice says, adding a few expletives under her breath.  

“Could you help me go through this cupboard Luke?” said Jack “Its coats, shoes, hats, that sort of thing. If you see anything you like you can keep it, and if it’s ok we can pop the rest in your car then you can run it down to the Red Cross shop before it closes? Thanks for all your help”

“No problem, I know you’d do the same for me if I lost a parent. It’s the very least I can do.” We start going through the cupboard. His Dad seemed to have far more coats and jackets than he really needed. One in particular, a very smart navy blue pea coat caught my eye.

“Would it be ok if I kept this?”

“Kept what?” says Candice. I show her the coat.

“I bought him that. I still have the receipt. You can’t just help yourself to things I paid for.”

“How much for you want for it?” I ask.

“It cost me 100 quid”

“He’s not paying for it. It was a gift and belonged to Dad. I’m his son, now he’s gone his stuff is mine.” Said Jack.

“I was with with him for 25 years, a year ago you wouldn’t recognise him in the street. You are completely heartless" Candice said, starting to raise her voice and looking as though she was on the verge of punching Jack in the face.


"It doesn't matter how long you lived together, you weren't married. Just living with a person doesn't give you the right to inherit their stuff. This coat is mine" Jack says.


"He always said that a marriage certificate was just a piece of paper, and that we didn't need one to prove our love. I didn't know this was going to happen. I'm sure he'd have wanted you to let me keep the house. If you had a heart you'd at least consider going halves." Candice's voice was veering between fury and desperate pleading.

“Well none of that matters now. You were the reason that he left Mum alone and pregnant. No child support ever paid, I bet you had a hand in that. I’ve been nice enough letting you stay here for six weeks before I put the house on the market. I'm giving the coat to Luke.”

“Look I’ll give you something for it” I say. The situation is getting very uncomfortable and I want to get out of the house as fast as I can. I take out my wallet. I Shove forty pounds in her hand, grab the bags.

“I want at least sixty for it” Candice said but I ignore her and head out to my car. She knows she won’t get it. This is not my family drama, everything is getting a bit heated for me. I put everything in the car, head down to the charity shop. As I park the car, I feel like I can breathe again. It’s only now I’m away from the situation that I feel the full force of how tense it was. I dump the bags off at the charity shop. As I come out I see dry cleaners opposite. I decide to take the new coat in. I go and fetch it from the car and put it on the counter.

“Have you checked the pockets?” asked the girl behind the counter. She looks very like a girl I used to have a crush on at school.

“No I’ll do it now” I say. I don’t expect to find anything until I do. As soon as my fingertips sense it I know what it is. I freeze for a moment.

“Found anything?” the girl says.

“Just.. a piece of paper” I reply slowly. I pull it out.

“I’ve got a bin down here, I’ll put it in for you” the girl says helpfully.

“I think I’ll keep this particular piece of paper” I say. I pay for the coat to be dry cleaned and leave the shop. It’s exactly what I think it is. Jack’s father’s will. It is dated to two years ago, before their reconciliation. The will leaves everything to Candice.

I have no idea what to do. Without this will, Jack’s father will be considered intestate and Jack, as his nearest blood relative and legal next of kin, will inherit everything. I know Jack has a lot of debts and could really use the money. I could follow the law, and hand the will over to Candice so she can claim the money her long term boyfriend wanted her to have, or commit fraud by destroying the will so my best friend inherits everything. I picture the look on Jack’s face when I walk back in and show them what I found, the piece of paper that will mean the difference between him owning and not owning that beautiful house. I walk into a corner shop where they sell cigarette lighters. It would burn so easily. After all, it’s just a piece of paper found in the pocket of a second hand coat.

I stand in the corner shop, wondering and wondering what to do.

December 01, 2019 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.