0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Contemporary

It was the year 2023 when Tom the forensic scientist went to work. He reached his office at 9 AM which was an hour before opening. It was his practice to be early at work where he would also stay well beyond closing time. He was now going back 3 years to study a crime committed recently and swung the time machine console towards him.

Tom’s voice actuated the mechanism. He said “Reed city. South Avenue,Jasmine Villa.  Wish to go to 2020.”

The console answered “Okay.  Receiving you as citizen Tom. What is the participation needed? I’ve to fit you in.”

Tom realized he had to be present to enter the timeline. He can’t watch like seeing a video.

“Leave it to you as I only want to investigate.”

The machine said “Welcome Tom as chief security guard at Jasmine villa. Owner :Prominent jeweler.

Tom vanished from his official perch.

Tom was at the Silver Crown hospital in Reed city. There had been an attempt to mug a company representative who had been carrying cash in a van. The attempt had failed and the rep had been admitted in hospital. Tom made enquiries. He had been chief of security but had left and now had been reinstated.

 Tom went back to his office at Jasmine villa’s gate. He checked the people who had visited the previous evening. The leading thespian had visited. Cohen from Israel had visited. Sheela had visited.

Tom wondered why Sheela’s name had been entered. She was a close friend of Monty, the jeweler’s son and would come now and again. Tom remembered that a new guard had been posted since a few days and he had still to recognize the relationships.

Tom got a phone call. The caller said “We know you Tom. On the 14th of this month your jewelry collection will be exhibited at the international jewelry expo to be held here. We are not afraid of guns. We will find a way to lift some of the jewels on display. Your boss has said he is going to have cobras for security. It would be stupid. We can protect ourselves against snakes. We want your cooperation. You should close your eyes on certain strangers whose identity will be given to you.”

Tom was recording the message. He replied “I won’t be a party to robbery. I’ll report this message to the boss.”

The caller had cut the call.

 Tom got orders to be extra cautious. He had two more men on duty to protect the perimeter of Jasmine Villa. He decided he would himself pay visits at nighttime.

That night Monty went out in his Porshe. He was away a couple of hours and was back with Sheela. This was a commonplace occurrence and Tom took no cognizance of it. These were the only two besides the owner and his wife who could pass out without a body check.

The next night Tom was on duty when Monty surprisingly came out on foot. He said “Tom don’t worry about my going walking. I’ll be back soon.”

Monty was back after half an hour with Sheela. That surprised Tom but he knew he couldn’t seek answers as to how or why they were walking in and out so late.

On the 10th a security van entered with 3 escort vehicles. Tom assumed the jewels were arriving for the show. The next night Monty and Sheela came out with bags past midnight on foot.

Next day however there was a commotion. Monty had been found dead beyond the gate of Jasmine villa. His head had been bludgeoned by someone unknown.

Police interrogated Tom. He said “Monty had the habit of walking out of the premises in the night. Sometimes he would be with Sheela. But they would always return. Since it was happening frequently we ceased to note the comings and goings.”

“You were there last night when Monty went out.”

“Yes. I wished him and he wished me back.”

“Did you not hear any cry for help from Monty?”

“No. It was silent all around and if he had called for help we would have heard it.”

 “Do you think there was someone lying in wait for him?”

“Not as far I could see. In fact I had left the gate open for Monty to return. But I closed it at about one AM wḥen he didn’t come back. I assumed he had gone somewhere and would return possibly by car later.”

“Tom we believe you murdered Monty.” Tom was surprised.

Police said “You saw Monty coming out and you followed him. When he was standing right under that tree you hit him on the head with an iron pipe and returned to duty here.”

Tom asked “Why do you think I murdered Monty?”

“You have to answer that question! Anyway I’ll tell you .Monty and Sheela were lifting jewelry and carrying it out. You sensed it and lay in wait. You had killed Monty and taken the jewelry from him.”

Tom said “I hadn’t the faintest idea about theft of jewels from this household.”

“We’re sure you had overheard Monty and Sheela talking about the rift in the family. The owner had ideas of going abroad and settling elsewhere. Monty wanted his share which wasn’t given and he took it out. You killed Monty and took his bag containing jewels.”

Tom was totally surprised.

Police said “Don’t think we can’t follow what happened. You moved closely with Sheela allowing her freedom of movement. If we hadn’t caught you now you would’ve killed Sheela as well and taken her share of jewels.”

“I swear I don’t know what you’re talking about. I only know about the jewelry show of the 14th because of a threatening phone call I received.”

“That was only drama to show how careful you had been. It doesn’t cut ice with police. Now tell us where you’ve kept the seized jewels.”

Tom said “I’m innocent. I didn’t touch any jewelry.”

“Of course without touching you took away whole bags of jewelry brought out by Monty and Sheela. Sheela also accuses you of complicity in the murder of Monty. Now hold out your hand for the fetters. You won’t! We’ll fix it. Cops hold this fellow down.”

At this stage Tom wanted to be out of the timeline before his hands were fettered. That was when he remembered he hadn’t activated the return command!

At 10 the next morning, the office was a beehive of activity. Somebody said “Tom seems to have used the facility without the return command being authorized. He has been lost in time.”

Another colleague said “One shouldn’t cross times lines without full knowledge. Let us say adieu to our ex-colleague Tom.” That is because Tom wasn’t in police custody but had vanished 3 years before!

END

May 01, 2023 10:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.