2 comments

General

Loading the car with enthusiasm to get to the mall to shop for that picture-perfect dress. Lori and I decided today was a good to spend in the mall.  The weather was too cold to do anything else. A chance of snow was due in this afternoon, so this morning was our time to get things done.  As we hit the freeway to our girl’s day out, we had already started the usual conversation of work and family.  We did notice the freeway seemed to be a slightly busier than usual for this time of the day. We joked that everyone was getting to the store before the snowstorm gets here. I continually get a little unpleasant with the cars speeding past me and cutting me off in such an aggressive manner.  This is one of our driving jokes, ‘Carol’s tiny bit of road rage’. As something grabbed both of our attentions, light snow was starting to come down.  With a brief debate about the weather we decided ‘how bad can it get this quick’ so we continued on our path.  Within minutes it appeared the snow was really picking up. ‘So, what do you think?’ I ask. Not sure about the weather at this point, we decided at the next exit we would turn around and shoot for the mall another time.  Traffic begins to slow to a crawl. As cars coming up behind us start to slide around to escape hitting the slow cars.  Before we know it, we are sitting still in a major snowstorm traffic jam.  First though was checking the gas gage, not wanting to sit here and run out of gas, yep, we are good there.  We did not start out for a road trip, just a trip to the mall. So, with that being said, we are by far not equipped to be sitting in a traffic jam.  We both know by the looks of our surrounding that we would be here for a little while, or longer!  Conversation turns from work and family, to watching the cars sliding and seeing the people getting out of the cars looking around.  My fear, I said, would be that I would be took out by sliding car if I got out to look around.  The opposite side of the freeway had slow, very slow-moving traffic.  We watched as a few brave souls as they tried to drive through the media to get to the other side.  Needless to say, now they are stuck in the mushing wet mess of grass in the media. As we debate who is the craziest of our fellow stranded drivers, the mood starts to grow a little worrisome.  How long do you anticipate we will end up being here? I ask, knowing in actuality she does not know the answer any more than I do. An awkward silence grew louder and louder.  Anxiety began to slowly show up as well.   We both had cell phones, although as crazy as it is, no chargers in the car. As I said we did not set out for a road trip just a ride to the mall.  We were doing our best to be conservative with our phone batteries.  We checked weather and road conditions and a quick call to our families letting them know what was going on.  Nothing at this point is stirring, no police or emergency resources in eyesight. We resolve to the fact that we will be staying where we are at for a while.  I dig an emergency blanket out of the trunk, as to not keep the car continuously running, for fear of running out and gas, and then the foolish fear of exterminating ourselves with fumes.   Our chat again turns back to family and work, pets as well as pet peeves.  I start to talk about some of struggles I am having in my life, things I have not confided in my friend.  I start off slow, somewhat testing the water for the matter that is soon to emerge.  I tearfully tell my friend that I am troubled about a family member that is really struggling. She listens so considerately to my every word. Giving a nod to her head sporadically encouraging me to go on. I began to feel a lump mounting in my throat as I proceeded on with thoughts to her. My daughter, I say with high sentiments in my voice, recently confessed to me that she has been facing some tough choices in her life.  Misty said that she has become dependent on ‘speed’ type drugs while in college.  “What do you mean ‘speed type drugs?” Lori asks.  I am not absolutely sure I tearfully answered.  Misty told me that her friend takes ADD medications and she has been using some of them to stay alert in order to get her homework and study time completed.  Who would have ever assumed, I said, of all people that Misty would end using drugs to get through? She was continuously on the go, top of her class, a non-stop kind of kid.  So now I don’t know where to turn or what to do.  I knew, Lori replies, that you have been carrying a weight, I have seen it in your face.  I did not want to pry to deep, so I waited on you to tell me what has been going on.  The snow continues to fall, and the wind is as cold as it can be, but right now the warm-heartedness in the car is so welcoming.  Welcoming to know that I have a friend that can listen to me and not be judgmental of me or my daughter. That is a exceptional thing for many.  I kept this in, not talking to anyone in fear of the judgments that would be placed on my daughter.  I revealed also that I feel as if I have enabled this habit that she has fallen into.  I gave money without question, I very easy believed the dishonesties she told me to get money.  Lori, I have had to look at myself as well as at Misty.  So... Lori says with a pause, where do we go from here, what do I need to do to help out you as well as Misty.  My heart amplified and my tears broke loose.  I explained that we have taken steps to work on this already, and Misty is doing what she needs to get this under control. Her first step, of telling me was the toughest.  As we sit crying and praying, we start to here horns honking.  That was an awakening from this emotional conversation we were having.  Look, I say, finally I see flashing lights, the Calvary has arrived we joked.  One by one the police and fire department when to each car.  We see wreckers starting to move some of the cars out of the way.  Although our car and the ones surrounding us were going nowhere quickly, the way cars and trucks had slid in around us.  When the emergency workers got to us, we both said what a beautiful vision you are, playfully.  We were told to get our belongings and will be walked up to the mobile vehicle’s and guided to a local hotel until we can reach our family.  As we walked arm in arm in the snow, it was so very cold, but really my heart was still warm as could be from our conversation in the car.  In this snowy despairing time of anxiety, I discovered a warm light of never-ending friendship.  You don’t have too many genuine friends in this life, so when you find a good one, they are a keeper.  Knowing someone is there to listen to you pour heart out and not judge.  Someone to help you fight your battles as well as fight for the ones you love and pray for you every step of the way.  This is one of life greatest gift.   I have always cherished the relationship that Lori and I have but had we not become jammed in a crazy freak snowstorm; I might not have cherished what a true friend I have in Lori the way I do right now.  Some blessings come to us in ways we don’t comprehend, this blessing was given to me via a crazy freeway pile up in the midst of a snowstorm.  


January 04, 2020 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Varina Murray
21:41 Jan 15, 2020

I love the sentiments of your story! Some friendly feedback would be - paragraph breaks are appreciated by the reader even in short stories!

Reply

Susan VanHoose
01:38 Jan 16, 2020

Thank you, will watch for that in the next one. Again thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.