Unexpected Love

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

As Jasmine woke for another day she realized that it was day 10. Just laying there she realized that the days in the shelter had started to become routine as each day was becoming the same as the last. With everyone waking up at 6:00am and leaving the shelter by 7:00am. With the exception of the 4th and the 6th we did the same thing as we did the day before. But today when we got back to the shelter that evening it wasn't routine at all. When Steve and Jasmine got back to the shelter that evening, instead of showering and changing then heading outside as usual, Steve began looking for Clark so he could talk to him in private.

But before Clark could be found, Jasmine walked up, “Hey ready to go outside for a bit before dinner?”

“Yea, but in a minute I need to talk to Clark about something in private. You know 'guy stuff'” he said to her as casual as could be.

“Oh okay, well I'll be out in the shade reading.” she said now heading to her locker, grabbing her book, and heading outside.

“Okay I'll be out as soon as I'm finished with Clark.” He said as she now headed for the door outside.

“So I hear you are looking for me, what's up?” Clark said stepping from one of the side rooms.

“Is there somewhere private we can talk?” Steve asked looking around almost nervously.

“Yea of course, lets go back in here.” Clark said indicating the room he had just been in.

“Okay great, thanks.” Steve said as he walked past Clark and into the room. Once in the room, Clark closed the door behind him.

“Have a seat.”Clark said taking one of the seats himself. “So what's on your mind?”

Taking a deep breath Steve began. “It's about Jasmine.” He said then paused. “I am beginning to have romantic feelings for her I have never felt before.”

“She is a sweet girl.” Clark smiled and nodded.

“Yes she is.” Steve agreed.

“Do you know how she feels about you? Clark asked.

“I have no idea. I haven't asked her yet.” Again he paused “I mean, I have thought about asking her but if she doesn't feel the same way about me, I'm not sure how I would handle it. After all we do work together and I don't want it to be weird between us either. And there's the chance I may be out of a job. And we work well together. This is the best job I have ever had and I don't want to lose it. Or her.” He added.

“I can imagine, so tell me more about these feelings you are having?”

“Well, we have been working together for a few years and have gone undercover as a couple quite a few times. So I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Suddenly I cant go a day without thinking about what it would be like to kiss and hug her like a real couple. Not just do it as two people acting for the sake of an assignment.”

“I want to one day propose to her but if she doesn't have the same feelings...”

“Yea I know. It could spell disaster.”

“Exactly.”

Both men were silent for a minute.

“Well aside from losing a great job, wouldn't it be worse to lose a great girl?” Clark said after a moment. “I can't make you take my advice I can only tell you what I think. Right?”

“Right.” Steve agreed.

“Well if I were you and you have been together for as long as you say, talk to her. You never know she might be feeling the same way about you as you do about her. And be as nervous as you about bringing it up.” Clark said confident in his words.

“ That could be very true. Thanks, I appreciate it.”

“Any time.” And with that both men emerged from the small room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside Jasmine was sitting with her book open, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not focus on her book. In fact, she had read that same line over and over. But it just made her think of Steve. Steve was every bit as commanding, sexy, and funny, as the character in her book. But unlike the female interest in the book, she hadn't made her feelings known. At least not yet.

But she didn't want to mess up their current relationship either. They worked so well together, and she had never worked so well with anyone before. Besides by reveling her feelings and they were not returned the way she was hoping she would be crushed.

“Hey there what are you reading?” A woman asked. It was Clark's wife Vickie.

“Oh a sappy romance I picked up at the library. Thought I'd try a new author I have not read.”

“Is it good?”

“ Yea so far, but then I've only just begun.” Then after a moments thought, Jasmine placed her bookmark in and closed the book. “Can I talk to you?”

“Yea of course whats up?” Vickie said taking the seat next to her.

“I'm not sure what Clark has told you about why we are here,”

“That you two are here posing as a couple to help homeless.” Vickie said simply.

“Right, now the thing is , I think I'm beginning to fall for him for real.” Jasmine said not quite sure how much she wanted to express.

“Do you know how he feels about you?”

“No clue yet. And I'm not sure I want to know, because if he doesn't feel the same way, I would be crushed you know? And I don't want to lose such a great friend.”

“Well I can understand that. But what if he does feel the same way? Wouldn't it be great, as you two take your relationship to the next level. There's nothing like the love of a good woman. Or in our case a good man.” Vickie said almost as if she had counseled others before.

“That's true. And a good man is hard to find.” Jasmine said with raised eyebrows.

“Yes he is.” Vickie simply said.

Before long, Steve had made his way outside and around the corner where Jasmine said she would be sitting in the shade. And there she was as beautiful as always. For a moment he had to stop and just look at her sitting there.

She was talking with Vickie he didn't want to interrupt, but that gave him time to just look at her. And think of their past up until now. She was again totally relying on him to take care of them as they continued their assignment. Suddenly he wanted to take care of her for real, every day of their lives every change he could. However he would never know if that were possible unless he talked to her. And there was never going to be a better time to do that then now. So taking a deep breath he continued toward her.

“Hello ladies,” Came the familiar voice.

Vickie smiled at Jasmine and stood. Before leaving she leaned in and whispered something to Jasmine. Then she stood, smiled at Steve, and walked back inside.

“Talk to him? About what?” He said obviously hearing what she had said.

Now looking up at him she took a deep breath reminding herself if not now when? “Steve, I'd like to talk to you about something.” She said.

Suddenly Steve felt butterflies in his stomach, “Yea me to but you start.” He said sitting in the chair Vickie had just sat in.

It's now or never Jasmine told herself again. “We've known each other a while right?

“Right.” He answered.

And have done a lot of work together as a team Right?”

“Right.” He answered cautiously.

“And over the years we have come to know each other I think pretty well haven't we?” She paused but continued before he could say anything.“I mean there are things you know about me most don't. And I'd like to think I know a lot about you that most don't as well.” She continued saying on warp drive.

“Ahuh.” He nodded then shook his head. “What are you trying to say?”

Another deep breath. “I'm trying to say I really like you and want us to take our relationship to the next level.” She said in one breath before exhaling.

He just sat there and suddenly Jasmine thought she said something wrong.

“Oh. Well,” He said hesitating as he looked around. Then smiled. “As always we are on the same page here.”

“Really?” Jasmine said with her high pitched voice that told him she was excited about something.

“Yea, that's what I wanted to talk to you about as well.” He said relieved she felt the same way as he did.

Before long they were both laughing as relief washed over them. Why were they so stressed over something as beautiful as love. Then he did something totally unexpected. He got up and pulled something from his pocket before getting down on one knee.

“Jasmine,I know that even though we aren't a real couple, we have been a couple for many years for many reasons. And over those years you have become someone I cant stop thinking about. And frankly don't want to live without. I want to make it real and forever. Jasmine will you marry me?” He asked then suddenly placed his fingers on her lips. “Don't answer that yet... You are such a special and beautiful woman and I want this proposal to be as special and beautiful as you. With hearts, flowers and music, the works.”

Jasmine took a hold of his hand and pulled it away from her lips kissing them quickly. “Steve we can save the romance and beauty for the wedding and honeymoon.” She smiled as she looked into his eyes.

“Does that mean...” He lifted an eyebrow.

“Yes I'll marry you.” She laughed.

He suddenly wrapped his arms around her and in one motion lifted her off her chair and spun her around laughing and kissing her endlessly. Or almost endlessly. He then grabbed her hand as they ran into the building.

“She said Yes! She said Yes!!” He yelled throughout the building.

As Clark and Vickie came from an inner room Clark smiled and leaned toward her. “It looks like he got his answer.” He said to his wife.

“It does indeed.” She said back smiling.

A week later, Steve and Jasmine were standing in front of friends and family as Jasmine's brother stood by her side as she said I do to the man she had fallen in love with almost a lifetime ago.

The end

July 16, 2020 18:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.