That's What They All Say

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story with a child narrator.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

 My name is Rosie McBride and I’m 12 years old. I just started 7th grade three days ago. It’s going well I guess, I mean nothing bad has happened yet so that’s good. The only reason I say “yet” is because the past three years of every school year is terrible. Not all of it but most of it. I’ve been bullied for most of my life because I didn’t look like the other girl. In fact I never looked like the other girls because I was “fat”. At least that’s what the boys would say to me every day. They would say that I was ugly and that I didn’t belong. Despite everything, my two best friends have still stuck around. Well one of them I should say. My best friend in the whole world. Alexis. Alexis is the only person who stuck by me through everything. She would text me everyday:

 

Hey Rosie!

 

                                         Hey Alexis!

How are you today?              

       

                                         I’m doing good! How are you?

 

I’m doing good! Are you coming to my house still,after school?

                                                                                                                                                                         Yes! Why wouldn't I be? 

Okay, I'll see you after school. 

   

                                           Okay!

 

       I woke up with my alarm blaring in my ear. “Ugh! I really don’t wanna get up today.” I sat up in my bed and looked at my phone. Sigh. No messages. I got up and got ready. As I came down the stairs, I hear my parents arguing in the kitchen. I don’t know what it's about but I pretend I don't hear it. Then I get some breakfast. About twenty minutes pass. Then it’s time to go to the bus. 

          I walk to the bus stop and wait there for about five minutes. I get on the bus and Alexis is waiting with her bag next to her saving the seat for me. “Hey!” I say as I sit down. “Hey Rosie!” she says. "How are is your mom and dad?" she asks. "Ugh" I reply. "Still fighting?" she asks. "Yep..." I reply. We stop a few more times, then we are at the worst place in the world, School. We walk to the courtyard and in order to get to where we hang out we always have walk past Megan and her stupid little group. As we walk by, we hear the usual stuff "Freak" "Fatty" "Loser" And my personal favorite, "Hey look! Its dumb and dumber!" We never figured out who was who but we just keep our heads down and keep walking. The bell rings and I say bye to Alexis and head to first period. Nothing happens in first or second period. I get to third period and we get new seats. I go to the board and...OMG! I have to sit next to David Smith! He's like the cutest boy in school! He has fluffy hair and he is on the bigger side, like me. Oh my is he cute though. I go to my new seat and sit down. I see David come in and look at the board, then me, then the board, then back to me. He smiles? He sits next to me and says hi. "Oh hi!" I say. "How are you?" he says. I reply "Oh! I'm good, how are you?" "Eh, could be better" He says. I smile and look at the board. The rest of my classes are over in a flash. I walk to the bus and get on. I get home and my mom and dad are home? I unlock the door and walk to the living room. My parents are sitting on the couch. "Hey guys." I say. My mom looks like she had been crying. "Come sit down Rosie." dad says. I sit down and wait for one of them to say something. My mom sighs. She looks like shes gonna cry again. “Mom?” I say. “Is everything okay?” There was a moment of silence. Mom was about to say something but dad cut her off.  “We have something to tell you.” he says. I nod letting him know to go on. “We are getting a divorce.” he says. Everything stopped. I could feel the tears coming. I didn’t know what to do. I loved both of my parents but why now? Why are they doing this to me! “I’m so sorry baby!” My mom says as she starts to cry. “Why!” I shout. “Why are you doing this to me!” “Rosie stop yelling!” My dad says. “No! I’m not gonna stop!” By this point I’m screaming. My dad stands up and walks over to me. In the most calming and sharpest tone. He says “Rosie.” he says slowly. “Stop yelling.” I’m crying and so is my mom. He sits back down. I don’t know why but I get this flash back to a few months ago. I was with Alexis at the coffee shop. We were sitting by the window and I look across the street and I see my dad. With a woman. I know it wasn't my mom because she was out of town with her sister. I mean at the time I didn’t think anything of it because I just thought it was a co-worker. Was my dad having an affair? Without thinking, I looked at my dad and asked “Are you having an affair?” My mom started crying more after I said that so I knew it was true. My dad looked at me and nodded. By this point I was angry. I stood up and looked back and forth at my mom and dad. “You're a pig!” I said to my dad. I ran upstairs and slammed my door. 

 

          I didn't know what to do. I was angry and sad. The only thing I could think of was to call Alexis. The line started ringing. Nothing. I look at my wall. There's a poster that says “Just breathe. Everything will be okay.” I laugh. That's what they all say. 


September 15, 2019 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.