36 comments

Fantasy Drama Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Lilith

Deep breaths. Calm face. Do not show weakness. Do. Not. Show. Weakness.

I stared at the blank face of the doll, fists raised, rapidly breathing. This shouldnโ€™t be this hard for me, Iโ€™m usually excellent at this!ย 

Why is today different? I canโ€™t seem to focus!

I MUST FOCUS!

I need to get stronger so I can fight evil! I need to be more powerful so I donโ€™t get killed by evil!

I tried again, this time trying a different angle.

Purple fire lit up on my hands, making a brilliant light gleam across the room. I swung at the doll, harnessing my unique lavender fire powers that burned ten times brighter than normal fire users.

Yep, Iโ€™m a purple fire user.ย 

Fists met metal. I was determined to damage the doll.

A loud clunk echoed through the room, followed by an even louder BANG, then a BOOM.

When I could see again, my reflection had small horns on her head and red eyes replacing my hazel ones. My purple hair clashed with the red that had appeared.ย 

I gasp.

What happened?

I cannot control the beast inside me.

Mar

I do not remember much of my time in prison.

Much of my time there was filled with...screaming and blood. I faintly remember being whipped once or twice for some petty crime.ย 

Iโ€™m only glad I did not die. Everything else that happened was terrible.

One time, I saw a prisoner die.

He apparently had stolen something precious. This โ€œsomethingโ€ I donโ€™t know what it is. He was hanged, and the guard made all of us look.

It, in the simplest words I could find, was utter torment.

Why the one that captured me decided to free me I do not know. They had said that I was free- on one condition. I had to work for him.

โ€œWhat work is this?โ€ I had asked them.

โ€œYou must crush all of the magic users from the world.โ€

โ€œBut arenโ€™t we magic users?โ€

โ€œThat is why we need to destroy the good ones.โ€

I accepted to escape the hell that was the prison.

But now, Iโ€™m doubting myself, as I sit outside the meeting room, listening to the three leaders argue.

Iโ€™m not an evil person, but Iโ€™m being forced to do evil things.

K.C.

My work is simple.

Kill or get killed.

I lock my arrow onto my bow.

Ready.

Click.

Aim.

Shuffle.

Fire.

I send an arrow across the room with deadly precision, moving way too fast for the one Iโ€™m targeting to react.

To my surprise, he grabs the arrow.

โ€œSo another speed oneโ€ฆโ€ I mutter as I quickly devise another plan. This one seems cocky and proud of himself.ย 

One thatโ€™s likely to talk first and act later.

He seems to be saying something, confirming what I thought, but Iโ€™m way too busy for his crap, plus Iโ€™ve already won this game. I activate my glitch powers.

Appearing right behind him, I sent an arrow right through his body.ย 

Another one down.

His face showed immense shock, but it was over. In less than ten minutes.

He seemed to be saying another thing, another monologue for his dramatic demise. How boring.

I send another arrow though him, not out of mercy, but because I donโ€™t want to listen to him anymore.

Iโ€™m like this because there is no other way.

Mercy

My job is difficult.

One like me hasnโ€™t been seen for over a century, a healer with the power to basically create anything she wanted.

My job is perfect for this power.

As more people turn up in the hospital, I get more and more worried. Who is causing all these innocent people- most with no powers- to turn up hurt.ย 

What are those people planning? Who would hurt so many people with no protection?ย 

Why?

My friends have been slowly, seemingly magically vanishing and never coming back. Never.

All I know is that these people need to be stopped.

There have been many losses to ones with power, ones that should have been able to survive normal attacks, as most of them were either angels or demons. I, myself, am an angel. Iโ€™m pretty sure you can see why Iโ€™m a valued healer.

I do have my flaws, though. Like working under pressure.

Sweat gathers around my forehead as I try and try to heal a wounded one with the power of flight. Her wings slightly move and twitch.

She seems to be getting worse.ย 

A nurse nudges me out of the way.ย 

I watch silently, afraid to speak, as the impact of the situation hits me.

Two other doctors come by, clearly worried.

Suddenly, they start frantically trying to heal her body.

I know itโ€™s futile.

Another one with a unique power, a unique spirit, gone.

I wish I could do more.

Elijahย 

The stars are pretty beautiful tonight, there just arenโ€™t enough people seeing them. Mainly my friends arenโ€™t here to see them with me anymore.

Iโ€™ve been pretty lonely for about a month now, since the people with powers pandemic started.

Okay, thatโ€™s not the name, but still.

I sigh and lean over a little bit, just enough to almost fall off the roof but not quite.

I stare at the scars on my arm.

Iโ€™m a bit shaken by the sudden meowing that seemingly appeared behind me, so shaken I almost rolled right off the roof.

Almost. I didnโ€™t.ย 

โ€œWhat are you doing here this late?โ€

I expected no response, of course.

It didnโ€™t give me any response.

Typical.

I was so bored. Maybe I should go do something, maybe be useful.

I would, but I donโ€™t wanna die.

Thatโ€™s probably what everyone thinks! And yet, they go.

And die.

How dark.

I look up again, savoring the beautiful stars. The cat stays for a reason I do not understand. It seems like it likes me.

Huh. Go figure.

Again, Iโ€™ll repeat what I said in the beginning.

The stars look AMAZING.

There just isnโ€™t anyone with me to see.

~~~

Woooooooooo first part done :D

Thanks to S and Missa for filling the form out!

Peace โœŒ๏ธ

November 18, 2021 06:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

00:39 Nov 26, 2021

This story is super pretty, Leste! The description and transition between characters' POVs were fantastic! Great job! I'm going to go binge-read the rest. :) -Brooke

Reply

awwww I've never heard a story being described as pretty, thanks! :D yEs yEs bIngE -Leste

Reply

00:00 Nov 27, 2021

well it was muy bonita (very pretty in Spanish), my pleasure! :D yEsSsSs -do you have a nickname for moi?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
18:33 Nov 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
18:05 Nov 18, 2021

WOOOOOO FIRST ONE OUT!!! AMAZINGGGGGG, I LOVE ALL THE DIFFERENT CHARACTER PERSPECTIVES ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT ONES!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
17:47 Nov 18, 2021

Heeeey! I adore it! Ya outdid yourself this time~ Maybe, to divide the point-of-view parts, you could do the names like ~this?~ or *this?* I've started doing that in my drafts, it's helpful to keep your readers focused. I love the word you've set up! Because of my bad injuries to come and the shipping question ya can ship me with the healer... or not, you're the author, after all! It's your world! Also I am making a new Reedsycast Because the old one died Would you like to be in it? (I'll see if I can revive the old one but for now)

Reply

AWWW TY i did diff fonts in the doc lol ill try dat omg yeahhhh I PROB SHOULD EHEHEHEEHEHEHE ooooooh sureeeeeee (XD lol)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Unknown User
18:32 Nov 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
20:03 Nov 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

20:28 Nov 22, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
17:36 Nov 18, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
18:32 Nov 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
17:40 Nov 18, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.