5 comments

Crime Fiction Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

He jerked awake and the laughter coming from about twenty different voices made him realize that he had been in that image land for long as usual. 

He sighed loudly as he sat on the edge of his bed pondering the best way forward. Nowadays, he had been turned into a kind of central TV for many, people he can not in honesty voucher for their humanness anymore. 

     He went down memory lane and recalled that the first time he witnessed the out the body incident was in the camp of the man-of-order group he was a member of about five years ago. It was strange to him that he dubbed its duplication. What happened there? He recalled he was feeling the pain he was sure someone was behind. He could not breathe well and was sounding like a woman in labor pain. 

Suddenly, a guy sharing a room with him for they were about seven in each room raised from his bed and yet still laying on the bed. He was more than surprised by what was witnessing that he forgot his pains temporarily while eying the guy’s approach. The man approached while he was still emits groans. He stretched his right hand to his chest and drew whatever was there and the pain ceased immediately. He watched the guy rejoin his body on the bed.

He never knew that what he was witnessing was strange only to him and not others, he never knew that all in that camp had the same ability and capabilities as he learned later. He kept his mouth shut observing and studying people and the environment with a keen eye from that moment. It became clear to him that he was the odd man out among his colleagues.

       “ It Is always intelligent to gather information well before analysis,” he told himself. 

Now, it is pure madness that he is witnessing. Everyone is a priest, pastor, Imam, pontiff, doctor, and herbalist all in one. What is it with black magic and occult powers? Why is it that anyone that acquires it always turned first into one holy being, then demon before claiming to be Satan himself? Why that format with occult power? Just like money, someone sees that is not organized, not sound, and even the person himself doesn’t see himself as being mature, but once he suddenly comes into money, everything about him changes. His speeches change for the worse or better, his persona changes, his walk and smile changes, and even in the eyes, brain, and heart of people, he got mature by force overnight and what comes out of his saucy mouth carries weight and respect. 

     That is what is happening with black magic, with occult powers. People that dabble in it always believe that all around them need moral education, and guidance, they need the route to the light pointed out to them for the person flaunting his occult powers believed he is in the center of light and not darkness. 

Why they always believed that one can serve or bribe God with a gift from the center of hell is confusing to many. What you rush to each day as guardian is your God. “Love your neighbor” is always their mantra and one annoying thing is that at times, they will dabble into another man's life without being invited like Anthony is witnessing for more than five years now claiming to be offering help.

In captivity, you are stripped of your human rights, seen as an outcast of society, unfit and that gives authorities impetus to use you as a commodity that needs benefiting from. They do anything they wish to you without your consent. They can draw your blood and sell it to blood bank companies, test any new drugs on you without your consent, test diets on you without your consent even kill you without your consent. 

     Exactly what Anthony is witnessing in his house as a free citizen. He was labeled all manners of everything and then turned into a Guinea pig without his consent. Every night for almost a year now, they will turn him into a TV that the whole vicinity watch in the name of spiritual investigation and not dumping or attack but investigation. To many, it is a means of seeking the truth and if Anthony continued to complain, then he is as guilty as pronounced. 

The authorities and even the servants of God believed that what they were witnessing comes from God. That heaven abhors such practices isn't for the present crop of servants of God. One funny thing Anthony observed about the images is that what usually appears is what those they came from want to see or what is trending in the accusatory arena against their object of interest. 

   “how come it is not coming from the accusers? It takes two to tango.” Was his unanswered question. 

What Is possible from heaven on the accused should also, be on the accuser why it is not a sign to Anthony that the source of the image is the kingdom of hell. One day, Anthony queried his friend to clear some confusion. “how come some images are of people that have been dead for long and some no one around here knows except me yet, they still appear in these images, it is confusing?” 

“ Devil is a smart liar and mover. He plays even his apostles to keep them mesmerized. He wants to keep what he has on them by feeding them confusing images they like to see. Whoever is behind it is an agent of evil one”

Anthony is sure his brains are intact. What you know, witness, and experienced is what you know. No magic can shake you away from that fact. He founds it difficult at times to separate the illusion from fact or near fact. “Do they have access to the world of the dead too?”

   At times, even men of God will put their trust in those images that they build their sermons around it. Yet, Anthony is convinced beyond reasonable doubt that what is happening in those images is what he doesn’t know and people in those images are there with their full reasoning intact or not. 

    “ if your sense is intact there and mine not, why are you holding me responsible for what was happening there instead of yourself?” he queried his accusers. What he usually got as the reply is a smirk. 

As he once again got jerked up from sleep for nothing and the laughter that usually followed it. He decided that it should be time to encounter this spiritual assault with the physical one. Enough should be enough. Counterattack might be the only language some understood.

October 08, 2022 08:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Graham Kinross
03:25 Oct 18, 2022

“It Is always intelligent to gather information well before analysis.” This reminds me of Sherlock Holmes, bend theories to fit facts, not facts to fit theories.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
09:48 Oct 19, 2022

Yeah, theories to fit facts. Over here, it is the other way around.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
09:48 Oct 19, 2022

Yeah, theories to fit facts. Over here, it is the other way around.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
L M
02:35 Nov 13, 2022

Great story.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
16:40 Nov 13, 2022

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.