Riding the Cyclone

Submitted into Contest #20 in response to: Write a story about a day in the life of a mother.... view prompt

0 comments

General

                                                                         

“What! Triplets! Really!” Both parents were stunned. After years of trying to get pregnant, they could not believe their ears. Audrey had miscarried three babies. She and Brian had been devastated. They had come close to forgetting the whole fertility problem and adopt. Now, they sat stunned as the doctor showed them the ultra-sound picture with the three little quarter-like circles. Dr. Strickland assured them the three little circles were indeed three little babies.

The two left the doctor’s office still in stunned unbelief. When they reached the sunlight, “Man! I must be doing something right”

Grabbing his arm and laughing, “Brian, I think it took both of us.”

“I guess we have to give the doctor a little credit. He did help us some.” With that said, Brian lifter her off her feet and swung her around until she threatened she was getting sick.

“Wait ‘till we tell my mom. She wouldn’t let me give up! She is going to freak out!”

“Well, my dear wife, what about your dad and my mom and dad?”

“Oh, your dad will go out immediately and buy three cribs! Mine will still be trying to wrap his brain around the idea of triplets for a few weeks. Both moms will buy too many baby outfits with matching everything.”

Laughing together, "When they know what they are!"

Once in the car, they began to call everyone. “My mom is screaming and jumping around,” Audrey said. “I know her high school classroom is blowing up.”

“Listen, Audrey, I just told dad and you were right! He is telling mom he wants to be the one who buys the cribs; even though they keep saying they don’t believe us. “

Audrey’s older sister Heather screamed and then surrendered, “Okay, Sis, you win the sibling rivalry contest. And, I have a feeling we are all in for quite a ride with triplets! The girls and I will babysit!”

It wasn’t long before Audrey realized she was the one on the wild ride. Her hormones went crazy times three. It was like trying to ride a cyclone. This resulted in a broken window when she lost her temper with Brian. She cut her hand when she slammed her fist through. Since Brian was a paramedic, he was able to take care of her wounds. The whole family was praying for his safety.  

Her body began to expand “exponentially,” her words. At six months, she looked nine and complained she felt like fifteen. There was only one place in the house that was comfortable, an old recliner that had to be kept against the wall so it wouldn’t turn over. Of course, if an accident is possible, it will happen. Papa, Audrey’s dad, was repairing the window and an unexplained hole in the wall when he moved the recliner just enough. A few days later, she plopped herself down in the recliner and over it went. 

Most folks could just flip over on their side and maneuver themselves out of a situation like that. That is, if they are not pregnant. She did try and almost ended in tears. Thankfully, she had her phone in her pocket. She called her mother-in-law who lived next door.

“Judy, I sat down in the recliner and it flipped and I can’t get up. Can you come and help me?”

“Sure,” She hung up. She had heard, “I sat down and can’t get up.”

I cannot believe she just hung up on me. She tried a few time to get Judy on the phone again. Maybe she is on her way. As Audrey lay upside down, feet in the air, her blood pressure began to climb. Where in the world is Judy. I think I am going to pass out. It has been fifteen minutes. If she doesn’t come soon, my babies might be hurt.

Audrey began dialing 9ll. Before she could dial the last number, Judy came in. 

“Finally! I thought you would never come!”

Judy bent double laughing so hard she was crying. “I thought you were sitting in the chair. I waited to finish my makeup."

“Judy, please get me up. I may pass out,” Audrey wasn’t kidding about fainting, but she couldn’t help joining in the laugh for suddenly she saw herself through Judy’s eyes.

Lifting Audrey up, “Feel okay? Here sit down on the couch or better yet, lie down. Here’s a pillow. Do you need me to stay with you awhile or will you be okay. I was planning to go shopping.”

“I’ll be okay. But, I know I will never live this one down. Who knew how unbalanced triplets would make me.”

Walking toward the door, “Brian will never stop laughing. Too bad I didn’t think to take a picture.”

Audrey, rolling her eyes, “That is all I need. I do thank you for rescuing me and the babies, though.” 

Her blood pressure stabilized after a few minutes. Lying on the couch, she pictured the nursery. Three cribs, a small chest of drawers, a changing table loaded with disposable diapers, and a closet full of frilly outfits. She could not picture the three baby girls that would soon sleep in that nursery, not at all. She remembered telling her mom the first baby she miscarried was a tiny boy who looked like Brian. The second and third miscarried babies, she could only imagine. She liked to think they were girls. It was very early in the pregnancies. Now, with all her heart she wanted to know three little girls snuggled beneath her heart. What would it be like? Would they be alike or very different? It would be nice if one looked like her, and one looked like Brian. She could almost see them. It was that third little girl…? Would two of them be twins? The doctor didn’t think so. Waiting is so hard! She fell asleep and dreamed about three little princesses running and playing through her world. 

After a long stay in the hospital to keep her blood pressure stable, Audrey gave birth to three daughters. They were tiny and fragile looking, but they were healthy and strong. She and Brian decided to name them after their two grandmas and their godmother. One looked just like Audrey, exhibiting her Cherokee heritage; one looked like her daddy, blond and blue-eyed; the third looked like Brian’s sister. She even had curly hair and brown eyes. Taking those babies home started the expected wild ride, but no one could imagine just how wild it was going to be and how much fun!

December 19, 2019 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.