9 comments

Coming of Age Friendship

*Author's Note*

The song at the end uses the lyrics from ‘You Broke Me First,’ and ‘And He Runs,’ but a modified version of both.

My name is Elle Ramirez. I live on Court Lane, which is a funny name for a street. Court Lane is in Mesquite, Nevada. My house number is 29. It is a blue house with a yellow door and big windows. I live with my two sisters, Izabelle Ramirez, who is adopted and looks nothing like me and my twin sister, Carley Ramirez. Carley is annoying. Izzy is overprotective. They both think I’m weird. Why? I like alliteration. It is sorta like my life. My best friend, Talia Tenese, has a lot of alliteration in her name. Since I don’t have any, Talia calls me Energetic Elle. Her brothers, Tobi and Tucker, also have a lot of alliteration in their names. All the kids at our school call Talia, ‘Tiny Talia’. I think it’s weird. Talia doesn’t mind. She might be tiny, but she’s fierce, and wildly popular. Not the bad kind, she isn't mean to anyone, except for Tobi; when he lost her best art project and she had to start all over again. I’m super lucky to have her as my best friend. She’s tiny (have I mentioned that?) with green eyes, and black hair. Talia, Tobi, and Tucker are triplets. Me and Carley look the same, with light blue eyes and auburn hair. 

This story all started at school one day, when Talia handed me an invitation. It was for her birthday party. The theme was performance. I hated performing. It just wasn’t my thing. Talia was a great actress though. “Who’s coming? Other than me, I mean.” 

“Tobi and Tucker are gonna be there, Mariaka, Kenley, Dakota, Olivia, and Rosi are invited too.”

“You invited Tucker and Tobi?”

“Yes...Well, no...Sort of. Oh, look at the time! Science is starting soon! See you later, Elle!” Talia dashed through the hall, only to be stopped by Ronnie, a hall manager. Ronnie spoke to her quietly, and then Talia walked, and as soon as Ronnie had turned her head away, Talia ran again. Hyper Talia, I thought, but that wasn’t alliteration. I had mixed thoughts about the party. I wanted to go, but I wasn’t good at performing AT ALL. I decided I would go. It was my best friend's birthday! How could I not go? I would figure it out on my own.

“Elle, let’s go! You and Carley need to go! There’s a taxi waiting for you outside!” 

I stepped out of my blue house with a yellow door whose number was 29, written right there at the top in big white numbers. I spent the ride to Talia’s house making alliteration names for all of the girls there (not Tobi and Tucker.) Cute Carley, Musical Mariaka, Cool Kenley, Dancing Dakota, Observant Olivia, Radical Rosi. We arrived at Talia’s house. “Hi Elle, Carley! Thanks for coming! C’mon in!” Talia showed me and Carley inside. I bit my nails as we arrived in a room covered in pink balloons. It had a table with a pink and white tablecloth. There was a stage in front of the snack table, which was also covered with the same type of tablecloth. All the girls waved at us.

Once I got to know them better, I had new names for the girls. Daring Dakota. Kind Kenley. Raviant Rosi. Magical Mariaka. Olivia was observant, so I kept that name for her. I did Cool Carley for my sister, because she was cool. And for Talia -- she wasn’t Tiny Talia anymore. She was Talented Talia now. 

“Okay, everyone, we’re going to perform now!” Talia’s mom called. Up first was Rosi and Mariaka. They did a duo. Kenley did a dance routine. Talia, Carley, Dakota, and Olivia did a silly play. This made everyone laugh. Then, I was up. 

“I’m going to do a solo. Please tell me if you like it.” 

I smiled, then began. 

“Off you go, inside your mind again.

Your legs must shake from the memories you chase ‘round your head.

I beg you no but there you go to find a version of you that’s dead.

I don’t know why I let myself bare the cuts every time, 

You shatter our lives, to chase what you can’t leave behind.

Your body’s here, but it is clear, you’re always searching for what you cannot find.

And when it don't go your way you needed me to fix it

And like me, I did

But I ran out of every reason

Now suddenly you're asking for it back

Could you tell me, where'd you get the nerve?

Yeah, you could say you miss all that we had

But I don't really care how bad it hurt

And just like that you go,

To hide your heart deep down below.

And you just choose to ignore

The brewing of our coming war.

And you seem to find such ease,

To leave while I fight desperately.

Now suddenly you're asking for it back

Could you tell me, where'd you get the nerve?

Yeah, you could say you miss all that we had

But I don't really care how bad it hurt.”

As I continued with the song, all my friends loved it. When I finished, they all clapped. 

“I loved that song so much!” Talia gushed. 

“Yeah!” Rosi added.

“It was so… beautiful.” said Magical Mariaka.

“A little angry.” said Olivia.

“Thanks!” I blushed. “If anyone wants the lyrics, they’re here.” 

Almost everyone gravitated towards the table, and grabbed a sheet.

After everyone was happy with their performance, we all voted and Talia’s mother announced the winner.

“Alright, everyone, the award goes to…”

I held my breath.

“Elle!”

Everyone cheered. I accepted the trophy and blushed. 

“Thanks, you guys!” I said, blushing so hard. I now had friends. I had learned a new talent I had. Carley was beaming so brightly, she looked like a mini sun.

My name is Elle Ramirez. I live on Court Lane, with my sister, Carley, who is also one of my best friends. My other best friends are Talented Talia, Magical Mariaka, Radical Rosi, Observant Olivia, Daring Dakota, and Kind Kenley.

Everyone used to think I was weird.

Why? 

Part of my life is alliteration.

And I am Energetic Elle.

May 08, 2021 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

20:38 May 08, 2021

awww this is so cute :D I love it np for the advice :)) I like how you smushed the two songs together: added a nice touch :D the ending was pErFeCtO, GRATE 🧀🧀🧀 job!!! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
14:40 May 09, 2021

Thanks so much!!!!!!! ~ Star

Reply

19:15 May 09, 2021

Np :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
20:25 May 08, 2021

Thanks, Amethyst for the advice! You were right :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
01:58 May 19, 2021

wow, that's really cool! Isn't it amazing what people bond over? I adore alliterations also XD Very coolio, very peaceful lol, thanks for sharing :) L.W.

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
11:11 May 22, 2021

Yes, it is! Me and one of my best friends bonded over a book lol Yeah :) Thank you!!!!! And thanks for reading!!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:45 May 22, 2021

yeah it happens :) you're very welcome :)

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
11:23 May 24, 2021

:) :)

Reply

TJ Squared
13:19 May 24, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.