Unintentionally Adopted

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Write about an introvert and an extrovert who are best friends.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship

Gavin glanced up from his phone. “No.” Lionel frowned. “Come on, Gavin- this could be your only chance!” “No. I told you, I have plans. Besides, you only want me for the discount.” Lionel sat down on the couch beside Gavin. “It’s just one group activity. Besides, rewatching the old Ninjago seasons hardly counts as a plan.” “Shush-“ Gavin threw a side pillow at his friend. “It is a wonderful plan, and you know it.” Lionel caught the pillow, then threw it back. “If you go, I won’t invite you to any more events for the rest of the month!” “Deal.”

This shouldn’t be so bad… Gavin blinked as someone tapped his shoulder. Lee said something, but Gavin shook his head, unable to hear her. “Headphones.” Lee shrugged, then turned to Amanda, who sat beside her. Lionel frowned, then sent Gavin a text. Headphones away, we’re going to see a movie. It’s very rude. Gavin glared at him. What are you, my mother? I’m fine, just convince your sister to leave me alone. Lionel rolled his eyes, sending one final text, before singing along to the car radio. She’s five, what do you expect.

Gavin kept his head down, nodding politely to his classmates. Marc grinned at him. “Gavin! Everyone, the dragon has emerged from his cave!” The people nearby laughed, and Gavin shrugged, smiling as well. “Rawr.” It’ll be fine. One last class trip before summer. “So, what movie are we seeing?” Gavin asked, turning to Lionel- He’s gone. “Attention, everyone, I’ve lost my extrovert.” Gavin muttered. Better follow Marc, then. Spinning around, Gavin sighed. Marc was talking with Mrs. Ingram, their teacher. I don’t really know anyone else… Someone waved at him, and Gavin spotted Mr. Newman, the class B teacher. “Gavin! So good to see you.”

After getting their popcorn, the classes shuffled into the theater. Gavin spotted Lionel, who tilted his head at him. “Gavin! There you are- you disappeared!” “I- didn’t move?” Gavin shook his head. “C’mon, movie’s starting soon.”

The opening advertisements played, and Gavin spotted a trailer. Hey, I know that show- it’s getting a movie? Lionel nudged his side. Gavin slid his eyes over, and Lionel grinned at him. “I know!” Gavin whispered. They had watched the show together, and had agreed to avoid the internet for a week to prevent the other from spoiling it. Gavin relaxed a bit. Something to look forward to.

Halfway through the movie, Gavin sighed. I already know how this ends. That character is a traitor, that person is an alien, and the protagonist has an affair with that woman. Typical. Lionel tapped his shoulder. Gavin blinked at him, and Lionel held up and empty Popcorn bowl. Sure, snack run.

Lionel yawned, stretching. “I’m guessing you already know how the movie ends, Mr. Spoiler Alert?” “Yep.” Gavin handed him a pack of gummy worms. “Figured you’d want this.” Lionel grinned. “Thanks-” “And in exchange, I get half of your popcorn when I run out.” Gavin held the bag out of reach. Lionel glared at him. “Revenge for forcing me to come.” Lionel huffed. “You already get a full month of no social interaction, what more do you want?” “Popcorn.” Gavin said, shaking the bag. “Fine. You have yourself a deal.” Lionel held out his hand, and Gavin grinned. “Pleasure doing business with you.”

The movie ended, and the theater slowly emptied. Gavin closed his eyes, then blinked in the fading sunlight. “That was a pretty good movie.” Lionel shrugged. “I liked the ending, but it seemed a bit too easy.” Lionel’s dad waved from the crowd of parents. “Time to go, I guess?” Gavin nodded. “Until the end of the month.” Lionel let out a small laugh. “You fool- it’s the twenty fifth!” Gavin froze. “The- you trickster.” Lionel chuckled to himself, his hair catching the sunlight. “You are a traitor.” Gavin sighed. “Eh, well, you learn to live with it. After all, I’m going to be your friend for a looongtime.” Lionel said, poking Gavin’s shoulder. Gavin poked his side back. “And whose fault is that? Introverts don’t make friends, and extrovert finds them and adopts them.” “Fine, I’ll accept that one, because you did buy me gummy worms.” Lionel shrugged, and Gavin let out a small laugh. All in all, this wasn’t so bad. Maybe human interaction could grow on me.

Years later…

Gavin sighed, sliding back from his desk. This is too much work… There was a knock at the door, and Gavin tilted his head towards it. “What’s up?” Lionel leaned on the door frame. “Earth to Gavin.” “Hey, Lionel.” Gavin blinked at him. “C’mon, we’re going out.” Lionel threw a coat at Gavin. “Out of that brain of yours, and into the real world! The entire group his here.” Gavin sat up. “What?” “They heard about your award, and they wanted to celebrate! The entire class is here. Even Marc, and you know how busy he gets sometimes.”

Gavin blinked at the sunlight outside his apartment. When the crowd spotted him, they began to clap. Lionel grinned. “Like I said, the entire group.” Gavin smiled at them all. “Hey-” A whirlwind of people spun around him, congratulating him, people showing their remorse, and old friends meeting new. “Alright! Give the man some space.” Marc called out, and Gavin glanced at him. “Marc-” Marc pulled Gavin into a hug. “Thank you.” Gavin shrugged. “Well…” Someone peeked out from behind Marc. Gavin glanced at her, and she glanced down. “Thank you.” She whispered. Gavin sighed, smiling at her. “You’re welcome.” Lionel grinned. “Jeez, I guess your head’s still normal sized. Great news for me! So, Mr. National Hero, where to?” Gavin smiled at him. “Maybe the movies? For the memories.” Lionel laughed, then grabbed the handlebars of Gavin’s wheelchair. “Away we go!”

Gavin sighed, closing his eyes. “Gavin. Wake up-” Lionel said, poking his side. “Movie’s starting.” Gavin blinked at him, and Lionel held up a pack of gummy worms. “I’ll give you these-” Gavin let out a small laugh. “Half of my popcorn?” “Yep.” Lionel grinned. Rolling his eyes, Gavin held out his bowl. Lionel’s eyes lit up, and Gavin opened the pack of gummy worms. An introvert doesn’t make friends, an extrovert finds them and adopts them. I guess I’m pretty lucky, huh? We’ve kept our promise, through school, through a wound, and through everything else. I may not have consciously chosen to be Lionel’s friend, but I’m glad I’ve stayed with him. If I lose him, I don’t know what I’d do. Glancing at Lionel out of the corner of his eye, Gavin smiled. Lionel’s eyes were fixed on the screen, his hair catching the light. Lionel spotted Gavin, then gave him a small grin. Gavin smiled back, then turned his eyes to the screen. It was an unwitting adoption by an extrovert. Now look where we are. The bit of gold shone brightly from his hand. A promise through time and tear, a story through storms and wear.

July 24, 2021 00:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.