2 comments

Crime

“Children, I have good news!” said Dad, coming back from the library with a huge box of books under his arm.


“Ooh what?” asked Tanya and Lucas.


 Dad dumped the box of books on the sofa.


“There! Got your favorite books from the bookshop.


“Is that the good news?” asked Lucas.


“No, the good news is…”


“What?” asked Tanya.


“There is a special someone coming to stay with us,” said Dad.


“Who?” asked Lucas.


“Is it a pet?” asked Tanya.


“You’ll see at lunchtime,” smiled Dad. “You get those books upstairs and start reading, I got to return them tomorrow. I better make a start on lunch,”


Tanya and Lucas looked at each other. The last time Dad made lunch it ended up with Lucas going to the hospital with a noodle stuck in his nose.


“Go on, up you get. Don’t just stare at each other,” said Dad.


 Tanya and Lucas grabbed a side of the box and heaved. It was much heavier than they expected. They made their way upstairs to their room, careful not to drop the box. Tanya let go of the box as soon as they entered the room. Lucas was still holding it and by himself, the box was much too heavy for him to carry.


The box fell on the floor and the books went flying and Dad heard the noise.


“What’s going on?” yelled Dad from downstairs.


 Tanya giggled and mumbled an apology to Lucas.


“Never mind,” said Lucas, scooping the books and putting them back into the box. “Which one shall we read?”


“Pick anything,” said Tanya plopping herself on the bed.


 Lucas picked a book and plopped himself on the bed next to Tanya.


Hansel and Gretel,” read Tanya, looking at the title. “What kind of names are those?”


“Probably French,” said Lucas.


 Tanya and Lucas read the story of how Hansel and Gretel had a stepmother who sent them into the woods and they found a house made of sweets and it belonged to a evil witch who kept Gretel for a servant and kept Hansel in a cage to eat when he got fat and Gretel killed the witch and freed Hansel and found some gold and went back to their father and lived happily ever after.


 At lunchtime, Tanya and Lucas went downstairs and noticed five pizzas on the dining table. Did Dad make all of those himself? wondered Tanya.


“Good heavens! Its 2 o’ clock? Sable will be here any minute!” said Dad peering at his watch.


“Sable? what kind of name is that?” giggled Tanya.


“Probably French,” said Lucas.


 Dad wasn’t listening. He franticly rushed out of the kitchen and picked up his phone tapped on it and put the phone to his ear.


“I better get changed,” said Dad and hurried upstairs.


In a few minutes, the doorbell rang and Dad scrambled downstairs wearing a suit he only wore to the office. He fished in his trouser pockets for his mints and put three in his mouth. He opened the door with a smile.


 There was a lady in a cream jacket with long dark hair up to her waist. The first thing Tanya and lucas noticed wer her teeth. It was as white as the whitest white and her lips blood red. Tanya and Lucas just stood there staring at her.


 “Come in, Sable,”  said Dad.


“Thank you,” said Sable and stepped into the house, her black heels clicking as she walked on the wooden floor.


 Dad took off Sable’s jacket and took her to the dining table and helped her sit. Tanya and Lucas st at the dining table but still they stared at her.


“Don’t be rude,” said Dad to Tanya and Lucas. He turned to Sable. “Sable, these are my children, Tanya and Lucas.


“They look very delightful,” said Sable.


“Pizza?” asked Dad.


“Mushroom please,” said Sable.


 Dad put a big slice of mushroom pizza on Sable’s plate. Tanya and Lucas both took cheese and Dad took pepperoni. As they ate, Dad tried to make conversation.


“Kids, Sable is going to be staying with us,”


Tanya and Lucas didn’t say anything.


“I hope you will be nice to her,”


Still, they didn’t say anything.


Tanya stood up and said, “I think I’ll go upstairs now,” and up she went. Lucas did the same.


 In their bedroom they started talking.


“We can’t let this woan stay with us. I don’t like the way she looks,” said Tanya.


“You can say that again,” agreed Lucas.


“What should we do?” said Tanya.


“We’ll have to get rid of her,” said Lucas.


 That moment, Sable entered their room.


“Aah!” said Lucas startled.


 Sable smiled sweetly at them.


“I have some sweeties for you,” said Sable.


 Tanya and Lucas didn’t trust this lady one bit. Especially because they read Hansel and Gretel.


Sable put a blue wrapped candy in Lucas’s hand and a pink wrapped on in Tanya’s hand.


“Eat up,” urged Sable.


Lucas flung the sweet on the floor and ran downstairs. Tanya did the same. They saw Dad on the floor with a knife stabbed deep in his heart.


“Children,” said Dad weakly. “Be careful,”


Sable came downstairs. And smiled.


“Come to mummy,”










June 04, 2021 05:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nirosha P
07:49 Jul 23, 2021

Woah, the twist to this story is crazy! It was the last thing I expected! The Hansel and Gretel part was a good add to the story. I really hope you make a sequel or a part two to this!

Reply

12:16 Jul 23, 2021

Thank you Nirosha, I'll think about making a sequel ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.