Between The Two Worlds

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story about someone who's haunted by their past.... view prompt

4 comments

General

          Between Two Worlds

By N.J Intja

She kept frozen in her sofa. Nevertheless, you will see her quivering if you give her a squint. Her eyes were unmovable, her mouth was open in terror allowing her lower lip quake like for a rabbit. She immediately hove herself onto her feet and gave a terror wail that sounded like a person being spiked with a knife. She scuttled around, bashing her head with an open palm. She gave a halt and allowed himself a big sigh. She began to stroke her fluffy hair then swayed her eyes slowly from side to side as if she has seen someone that she wants to hide away from. She ambled by the mirror and gave a grin at a terrified girl in the mirror. They look alike. But where are the rest behind her coming from? She jerked her body around, but saw nothing. She jerked back at the mirror. There stoodal a boy behind her in the reflection. “What are you doing hear, Michel? You’re here for me, aren’t you?” she muttered at the mirror. She could hear the mirror talk back in a trembling voice, “I am not dead, Eveline. Go exhume me, please, I am suffocating.”

She don’t live alone. She have a family, despite her father have ran away into heaven. He died in an accident. Mr. Alven was strolling along the railway together with Eveline. She was five years by this time. Unfortunately, Eveline ran into the railway with the intention of embracing the upcoming train just for fun. Mr. Alven began to run after her, shouting and crying. It was not too late. He hefted her out of the railway and threw her at the sides of the railway. It was too late for him, because the train was very close enough un a ball park figure of his middle finger in gap. The train with 24 cabins began to roll on him like a carpet, sendering him into pieces. Eveline laughed to see her dad into pieces. “Dad! Your body got lost, I can only see your head and legs. Can I help you find it?” of course, she also got some injuries of being plonked onto the ground.

Her father’s death didn’t haunt her that much; she was still young when this incident happened. Just two weeks past, she hung up with her boyfriend at night. They snogged, embraced, chat, and giggled. Yet the unlucky fell on them. They came across a group of goons. They were asked for money; they gave. They were asked for the phones; they gave them out to the goons. At last they asked for a girl.

Michel is in bloody, held by his hands by four boys, while her lovely girlfriend being violently raped. He cannot bear it in his mind not to fight back. He gathered his little strength inside him to fight back. Eveline, who was also in bloody began to cry, “Michel- Michel!”

She woke up from the bed and cried once again. That was just a dream, but it was really a spitting dream of what really happened during their separation with Michel. She gave another sudden scream when her mind fell on the scene Michel being spiked. She deserves to be taken to the funny farm. Most of the scenes she comes across with reflects her dangerous incidents. She sometimes ask herself why she is the only one surviving the dangerous events. Is this fortunate or unlucky? 

Just last days, she wandered about. Her mind was a bit clear. The moment she saw a tour bus swerving into the road she was walking along, her mind became tight again, driving her into dazeness. The upcoming bus rang the incident of her father’s death. She could see her father running toward the bus. And she could see the driver inside brandishing the brakes pedal. “Is he just mending a broken pedal while behind the stirring wheel?” her mind wandered. She gave a sudden cry, “Dad! Dad! Come back, I am here… that car will not stop! It is pedal less” she began to leg it with the intention of scooping off her Dad out of the road. Nevertheless, she was held back by a stranger. The bus gave a halt with an emergency brake, tracing black lines onto the road. Eveline was still breathing heavily in the arms of the stranger. The bus driver slipt out along with his three frowns onto his face. He was rage at first, but realized that the girl was losing her marbles one after another because of her prattles. Her mind became a bit clear once again when the bus took a turn at the other corner. What was now left was the exchanging of stares with a stranger.

The stranger broke off the silence, “I am Frans, how’s it hanging? I hope everything is well.” “Yeah, I am doing well. Good bye!” said Eveline, turning around with the intention of going, but Frans beckoned her and asked her if she needed a hand, especially to escort her home. Eveline shot her terrified eyes at Frans's gleaming black shoes then at his glinting gold that coated his uppers left tooth from the middle and said, “Do you also want to die?” she bratted, snapped then took off.

Eveline supposed to be a friendly girl that grins to everyone that comes across her. Now she’s between sixes and sevens, her mind is between two worlds_ the past and present. Her life is now like for a chicken. Her face known to bear joyful dimples is now known to bearing terrifying wrinkles. She is even banned to watching movies due to the scenes of death and accidents in them.

All this unusually behavior began the day Michel got separated from him, because the day he gave her promises was the day he deceased. Those supposed to be the promises that was about to change her life. She goes for counseling, yet nothing changes as her concentration is poor, despite she pretends to the counselors that she do concentrate.

There is always a solution to every situation: so Eveline attended counseling thrice a week, plus taking her medicine. Of course, she’s also grinning. Doctors endeavored to take her to normal and never be taken into funny farm.

July 22, 2020 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Roshna Rusiniya
10:42 Jul 23, 2020

This was a funny story. I did find some grammatical errors here and there. Otherwise, the story was really enjoyable.

Reply

N.J Intja
13:12 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you for being honest... I will do my level best to improve on that

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
15:01 Jul 30, 2020

Not a problem at all. I make lots of grammar mistakes myself! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
00:54 Jul 23, 2020

Nice effort, kind of funny ending. It would be helpful if you had somebody to proofread the English, but I commend you for your story's great idea.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.