0 comments

Suspense Kids High School

The Night the Lights went Down

I was excited because my cousins were coming over to spend the night because my parents and their parents were going on a trip and they were leaving us in the care of my oldest sister. My sister had just turned 18 and was already bossy and mean. She treated my brother and me so mean, but my parents never witnessed any of it and in their eyes, she was perfect and responsible.

The day started off normal and my cousins arrived around 9 AM. We wished our parents a safe trip as they headed out down the street we raced back inside.”Yo, you guys wanna get a bite to eat” I asked my cousin.

They shook their heads in unison and Brandon responded, “We had a doughnut on the way”.

Then Liam said, “We brought our Nintendo let’s play Super Mario Brothers or Rocket League”.

So we unpacked their stuff, put their clothes in our room, and then went to go set up the system in the den with the big 72 inch screen. We were about to start playing Super Mario Brothers when my sister lumbers into the room scratching her dandruff infested head and tells us in her most annoying voice to get out of the room because she was going to watch a movie. We protested that we were there first but eventually, she threatened not to feed us all day.

So, we went outside to play catch with the football, but it was too hot so we went back inside to watch the movie with my sister.

“What do you guys want now,” she screamed at us.

“Chill we want to watch the movie”, I responded.

“Well I don’t want to hear a single sound from any of you, do you understand me?”, she sneered.

We all nodded our heads and threw ourselves on the floor to watch the movie.

After the movie ended she continued to hog the TV and left us no choice but to text our parents about how rude she was being with our guests. My parents responded right away because we could hear her trying to defend herself, but it was no use and she hung up.

Immediately after she screamed for me, “Joel you can use the TV for an hour, but watch out little brother you are going to get it for snitching on me.”

My cousins were scared, but I assured them that she wouldn’t do anything to me because they were there. We watched YouTube for a while then we finally played Nintendo.

My sister forgot about the TV because some of her friends came over and they locked themselves in her room. We didn’t come out for a long time, but we were happy because we had the living room to ourselves.

Later that evening as darkness fell my sister said she was going out with her friends to get us some food and that she would be right back. My cousins, little brother, and I ignored her as she left with her friends. “Be back soon” she bellowed as she slammed the door behind us.

After about five minutes we realized that we were all alone. Liam said, “Do you guys get scared when you are alone?”

“This is the first time, so I might be a little scared, but she will be right back”, I replied.

 Just then we heard a loud bang and all the electricity went out. Every light in the house went out one by one. There we were four young kids left alone in pitch blackness. Being the oldest I tried to calm everyone down and assure them that we would be fine. We tried calling my sister, but she didn’t respond. Then we sent her a text, no answer. I decided that the first thing we needed to do was get armed in case of intruders. We agreed that it should be baseball bats, but then we realized the bats were inside the garage and nobody wanted to go outside to get them. Then I conceived plan B. I led them to the kitchen and handed them each a knife to protect themselves. I took the biggest knife, then Brandon got a slighter smaller one, and so on with Diego getting the smallest knife because he was the youngest.

Then we set out to find some candles. It was hard to see anything because the house was engulfed in complete darkness. As we were looking around the house for the elusive candles we started hearing the windows starting to rattle. We tried to remain calm, but then we started to hear these creepy voices. The voice got louder and louder. “GET OUT, GET OUT”, then I received a text from an unknown number. “Come out, come out we want your blood”. 

I showed my cousins and we started to freak out. I tried calling my parents but they didn’t answer. Diego wanted me to call 9-1-1 and he started crying. Then all at once every doorknob in the house started shaking at the same time and the voice returned, “Come out, or I will come and get you inside”.

Diego cried out again, “Call 9-1-1 we need help.”

We tried to calm him down and decided to make a run for it. Brandon said we should all run in different directions because they couldn’t catch us all, but I thought it was better if we stayed together. Then I remembered that my parents always said if we were in any need to run to our neighbor’s house. So, as we stood by the door shaking with fear and our knives by our side we counted down. “Ready, 3-2-1-Go” I yelled.

As soon as we ran outside we were hit with a flash of light so bright we were blinded immediately. We stood frozen like a deer in car headlights. Then the lights turned off and as we regained our vision slowly we saw my sister and her friends laughing hysterically.

May 07, 2021 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.