The way I still love you🏠

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

44 comments

Gay Romance

This is the 18th an final Home story. I hope you've all enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!




“Mom?” Daniel calls, walking into the kitchen. “Where’s TJ?”

Catherine smiles, and points to the counter. “He left that for you.”

It’s been seven years since everything that happened with Blake. TJ and Daniel both graduated from college, TJ for photography, Daniel for teaching. They moved to a different state, but they’re visiting Catherine.

He walks to the counter, where he finds a rose with the thorns cut off, with a small slip of paper wrapped around it. He pulls it off to read it.

Hi, Danny. I’m at the diner.

“I’ll be back.” Daniel says to Catherine, who nods. He gets his keys, and goes out to his car to drive to the diner.

The diner is closed since it’s early, but TJ’s mother and sister let him in. He asks if they know where TJ went.

“He left a while ago, but told us to give you this.” His sister, Ella, says.

She hands him a rose with a slip of paper wrapped around it, like the one from earlier.

He frowns, but takes it.

I’m at the movie theater.

He glances up. “What’s happening?”

They just shrug.

“Did you want something to eat?” Tasha asks. “On the house, of course.”

Daniel nods, and Tasha goes into the kitchen. She comes out a minute later with a warm plate of pancakes.

“Did you know I was coming here?” He asks, sitting in a chair to eat.

She smiles, and disappears behind the counter.

He eats quickly, then heads to the movie theater, which is also closed. He leaves the flower in his car. There’s a man cutting the grass in front of the building though, and Daniel walks over to him.

“Can I help you?” He asks.

Daniel nods. “Do you know if a guy named TJ came here?”

“What does he look like?”

“Curly black hair, green eyes. He’s about the same size as me? He told me he was here, but-”

“Ah, you must be Daniel. Here, he gave me...this.”

He hands him a rose, and Daniel reads the paper.


I’m at Squirrel Park.


“Thanks,” Daniel says, starting back to his car. “Have a nice day!”

He drives to Squirrel Park, which is mostly empty. There are a few joggers and dog walkers, but nobody Daniel could ask if they know where TJ is.

He walks around for a while. He doesn’t see TJ. He passes a big fountain, the playground, lots of flowers...

He stops by a rose bush. He crouches, and looks at each for a piece of paper. It takes a while, but he finds the right one. The thorns have been cut off, and he pulls it from the bush and reads the paper.

Go to the high school.

He sighs, but goes to his car. He doesn’t drive yet, and calls TJ instead. No answer. Of course.

He drives to the school. It’s been a while since he’s been there.

Since it’s Saturday, the school is closed. But he sees Taylor and Angel sitting on a bench outside, tapping at her phone. He walks over.

Taylor is dating Kaden now. He finally asked her out before they went to college.

“Hey,” He says, stopping in front of them.

They look up, and Angel grins. “Hey. Here for your rose?”

“Yep.”

She hands him another one, and he reads the note.


Go to the creek where your phone fell.


They had gone back there a few times, so Daniel knew the way. He stays for a while to talk to them, but they convince him to get going.

He tries calling TJ again, and this time, he answers.

“Hey,” He hears TJ say.

“What’s this about?” He asks.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I’m about to go to the creek, but why are you doing this?”

“You’ll see. See you soon!”

He hangs up. Daniel sighs, and starts to drive to the creek. When he gets to the start of the path leading there, he sees a rose sitting in the middle of it, with no note.

He finds a second one about fifty feet away, then another, then another, all the way to the water. He picks them all up as he goes.

In the middle of the bridge, with a bouquet of roses, is TJ. He grins at DJ, who walks over to him.

“What was this about?” Daniel asks, kissing him.

TJ hands him the flowers. “I have a surprise for you.”

“Oh?”

“Yep. Look over there.”

He points, and Daniel turns. But there’s nothing there. He frowns, and looks back at TJ. His jaw drops.

TJ is on one knee, with an open box in his hands. “Daniel-”

“Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.” He says immediately.

TJ laughs. “I didn’t even ask yet.”

“Okay, sorry.” Daniel says, grinning.

“Daniel, I love you more than anything else in the world. You make me so happy, and I would hate not making us permanent. Will you make me the happiest person alive, and marry me?”

Yes!” He exclaims, throwing his arms around TJ. “I love you so much.”

TJ laughs, wrapping his arms around Daniel. “I love you too.”

“How long have you been planning this?” Daniel asks, pulling away.

“Technically seven years, but I decided to ask about a month ago.”

“Does Angel already know?”

“Yeah, she helped me find the ring.”

“Was this whole thing necessary?”

“It was fun!”

Daniel laughs, and looks at the ring.

The ring is gray with both their initials carved on the inside. Daniel slides it on his finger. “I love it. Thank you. It’s perfect. I love you so much.”

“I love you, too.”

They drive back to Catherine’s house, where Angel is waiting with Catherine in the living room.

“Did you do it?” Angel asks excitedly.

Daniel smiles, and shows her the ring. She squeals, and Catherine smiles.

“When’s the wedding?” Angel asks. “Can I go? Can I help plan it?”

They laugh. “Of course.”

I'm so glad I get a happily ever after.

March 23, 2021 22:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Meera Lakshmi
00:28 Mar 24, 2021

Hey, I just got downvoted 100 points. I am working on urs too. Can you help me out?

Reply

Ari Berri
01:52 Mar 24, 2021

I will. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

OML HE SAID YES OML OML YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

Ari Berri
23:07 Mar 23, 2021

XD

Reply

Ari Berri
23:10 Mar 23, 2021

It's fine. Thanks, though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
09:10 Mar 24, 2021

AHHH! FINALLY! so happy yeah but sad too cuz the series is finished and no more stories with daneil and Tj in it:( anyways, it was your best one! LOOVVEEDDDD it! (sorry) XD oops! i just got to know that u were down-voted:( sorry, i really am. just tell me how to up-vote someone so i can up-vote u:)

Reply

Ari Berri
14:10 Mar 24, 2021

XD Thank you! There are little arrows by names on the comments, and if you press the up one, it'll upvote them.

Reply

Amel Parvez
11:12 Mar 25, 2021

;) right. thnx!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
22:56 Mar 23, 2021

The fact that he said yes before TJ even asked is EVERYTHING. AH! THIS SERIES IS OVER! It's been SUCH a journey! I loved it so much! Keep up the great writing.

Reply

Ari Berri
22:58 Mar 23, 2021

XD Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:50 Mar 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
22:50 Mar 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
22:51 Mar 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
22:51 Mar 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
22:52 Mar 23, 2021

It's fine, thank you!!!!

Reply

Unknown User
22:54 Mar 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
22:48 Mar 23, 2021

BRO- ARI WHY MAN- Okay, emotional breakdown and fangirl screaming aside, I am in love with this series. Your talent has been expressed with every part, and I'm so happy that Daniel and TJ get a happy ending. (Also dunno how I never realised but we both have characters named Daniel that are gay?) [TJ is on one knee, with an open box in his hands. “Daniel-” “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.” He says immediately.] I screamed. In class. AMAZING WORK ARI! The idea of running around with notes is something I did in one of my stories (not on Reedsy) ...

Reply

Ari Berri
22:52 Mar 23, 2021

XD Thanks! I'm glad too. (I never noticed that, actually.) That's my favorite line, too. Thank you!!!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:47 Mar 24, 2021

No problem, it was amazing to read :)

Reply

Ari Berri
01:53 Mar 24, 2021

=)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
12:07 Apr 02, 2021

Wow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Asumi Pringle
08:00 Mar 27, 2021

I absolutely love the ending of the story! I love the scavenger hunt with all of the roses, it was so CUTE! The series was AMAZING! I really LOVE your work and I cannot wait to read more of your stories/series!

Reply

Ari Berri
01:11 Mar 28, 2021

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:13 Mar 25, 2021

OhMeG THAT WAS COOL "He points, and Daniel turns. But there’s nothing there. He frowns, and looks back at TJ. His jaw drops. TJ is on one knee, with an open box in his hands. “Daniel-” “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.” He says immediately." This part was awesome!!!!!!!! XD AND HE SAID YES! (I kinda knew from the start of the chase but still HE SAID YES) a itsy bitsy typo in "In the middle of the bridge, with a bouquet of roses, is TJ. He grins at DJ, who walks over to him." (the DJ part) So, sorry for being nitpicky ANDDDD THAT WAS AWESO...

Reply

Ari Berri
14:34 Mar 25, 2021

That was my favorite part, too! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Meera Lakshmi
02:40 Mar 25, 2021

FINALLY! I am gonna cry!! This was amazing!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
02:47 Mar 25, 2021

I’m a little sad home is over though. Time to read Dead End I guess!!!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
14:10 Mar 25, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:13 Mar 25, 2021

Do you want to collab?

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:06 Mar 25, 2021

??

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
22:45 Mar 23, 2021

This is so cute, and I’m happy they ended up happy too! I’ve always wanted to see something like this; big display and hidden scavenger hunt of all the places in memory and at the end, it’s them. There is only one critique I have... that final line. I think it’d be better if you didn’t state it so much like a fact; maybe put a small quote, almost like you’re breaking character and writing from Daniel’s point of view. This feels a little apathetic at the end, and just like in music, one slightly off note or weak note can alter an amazing sym...

Reply

Ari Berri
22:48 Mar 23, 2021

Thank you! I'm glad you like it! I'll fix that, thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chloe McLellan
16:56 Jun 10, 2021

That was so awesome! I LOVED IT!!! You should totally do more series. You are so good at this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.