0 comments

Friendship

The first sparks  of the day  hid the lights of the diamonds of the celestial firmament..

-         He is getting into the barn, now – I said,  listening to that  crawling given by those tired footsteps.

 Soon after the sunrise, the soft and sweety- mannered  man - a sir, I dare say ! -  firstly showed up his

corduroy suit - always smelling olive oil! – his personal scent.

-         Now, he   invariably will remove the padlock from the barn gate wearing his smile extended from ear to ear, erasing the detail of his aquiline nose.

Lights, camera, action!

 Hello, Dyonisus, my god of Nature! -  that is how he used to greet me, every morning, cleaning the stable where I had spent the night.

 - I came to see you earlier today. Look at the sun , it is absolutely gorgeous!

Indeed it was.

 However, that morning, in particular, I felt that there was something different in the air, something that I could not understand., despite the fact that he kept the routine intact.

 So… what was it? Did he have any plausible explanation with immediate reality?

He came closer.

 "What's up Dyonisus?"  

 You have to tell me.

 -          What did you say?

 - I think I'm going to give you a shower, dear, you stink !

 (That was a lot of offense! Or what did he want? A bull with disinfectant perfume?

 Was that dry and tasteless grass that he gave me to eat no longer enough and I still had to speak ill of my smell? )

 - Well, all this has a reason for being, because we are going out today.

 - (Go out? No wonder you want to  wash  me up and perfume my well-shaped body. Don't you want to sell me? Yes? Or no? - Doubts began to fill  my thoughts  . Today is Sunday , bullfight day.)

 After finishing the job of cleaning the barn, grooming  and feeding  me, he

 led me to a chariot where he climbed on, and I was pulling it like a horse by that alley.

 The children, innocently scampered from one side to the other, with balls in their hands and

 Rejoicing, in full jubilation riveted by the goodies they pulled out of their pockets in large bundles.

 People talked a lot, things that I couldn't understand.

  They were laughing, and also cheering all animals that were taken by humans like the one I got.

 Plus, I saw them jumping over fireplaces, with little lambs in their hands, dogs and cats too.

I could hear voices that at first sight seemed to be a melody.

But as I started to put a lot more of attention on it, I realized that they were praying ¡

-         What is this ¿ - I asked to myself in complete astonishment

-         They are acknowledging our nature and all little things in it, like flowers and animals – my human explained, looking at my eyes as if I could really answer him.

As a fact, I really saw his hopeful eyes, waiting for my nodding answer.

Firecrackers explosions began In that moment.

Roses and many other flowers were put on every one of us.

-         What is it ¿ - asked sir with my eyes in complete astonishment.

-         - don’t worry, little fella – he uttered, taking the roses in his hands, as I kept shaking my head in order to make them fall – flowers, der, for you, in your day ¡ you deserve these and much.more – kissing my back, unexpectedly.

I guess I understood the meaning of the that gesture, but I think I have seen other bulls like me eating the flowers, like grass - well, I do not like roses I prefer daisies.

 However, and putting the pieces of the puzzle together, the  worship  enlightened me, and, as if by work of a miracle, I guessed that all the joy, music and dance should be a party!

 As the wagon where the signal had installed me, I realized that there were many people but many people on the road that skirted the place of La Lomilla, next to the village of El Ojuelo.

 -          Long live the bull ! - shouted some, with red scarves in their hands, waiting for a race.

 A few more of them booed me as they watched me go by.

 Others applauded me - and I didn't quite understand the reason for any of the reactions.

 However, the road was not very long, although it was stony and full of potholes, pools of standing water, herbs - the ones that were not really very tasty, but they did serve to calm one of my stomachs, always hungry.

 I  asked if  they could take out the ears and the tail of bulls in those competitions, the runs

 Suddenly, I had the idea that they were going to want to sacrifice themselves, pulling out my ears and my tail.

-         And now, what ¿ wasn’t it a celebration?

Wasn’t it a joyous moment to spend ¿

Is this what a worship is about ¿

 The heat of the sun began to make me sweat, for the simple thought that I could die at the hands of that Hidalgo who behaved so gently with me and gave me food.

-         But I really can’t  understand how men could be so cruel and bloody, even in a celebration like this.

He covered my eyes with his hands.

What for ¿ I have already seen it ¡

Humans ¡

 They are animals just like me or any other animal ! -  I thought, thinking that I was a little lucky on not being  there.

 You have to forgive them because they do not know what they are doing, as the  Scriptures  says.

 Still sweating, perhaps out of fear of doubt, I realized that the road was becoming narrow and that people seemed to be increasing, concentrated on something that was to be a construction, or perhaps, an arena.

 - Bullfight! It was the only thing I could think of and that repetitive thought that took over my animal but rational mind, you make me suffer.

 Feel the smell of my blood, spilled on the floor.

 As if involved in someone else's business, 0 people looked at me with a steak face.

 Is my end! - sobbing.

 Suddenly, the  gentleman gives a strong tug on the straps that tied me to the cart.

 Stop.

 At that, I turned my gaze and I could see that there were other wagons ahead of me, and you stopped too.

 And two bulls and wild cows wore necklaces with flowers on their necks, their bodies painted in various colors, earrings of pineapple slices in their ears, muzzles painted red - a shame.

 And that a music band, with fifteen musicians already somewhat drunk - played carnival marches, zarzuelas, religious hymns and all kinds of songs according to the requests of the godparents, usually walking together with the musicians, dancing.

 Later on, there were pots of food that humans eat, that is, rice, noodles, that paella full of seafood (argh!) And there was also churrasco, chicken - poor things! 'And beef - (poor people) .

 In addition, there were barracks with fruits, many fruits.

 And also bullfighting costumes, typical hung in tents erected in the corners of one or another secondary path.

 In the distance, balloons of all colors could be seen, floating indefinitely in the air.

 Some women dressed in dresses of the Spanish nobility of the bronze epic, when this land was blessed with the prosperity of abundance.

 Also, I saw men dressed as bullfighters, with those black hats and those shiny and fair pants that matched their jackets.

 Everything was joy, and everything was happiness for each face of those thousands of people.

ot that I had my life hanging for a jioo

 At that very moment, we definitely dared, the wagon

 He  guided me, slowly, towards the back of the arena.

 "This is where we go in," he told me, smoothing my forehead, broken by the heat of the afternoon, "if without realizing it, six hours had already passed since breakfast.

 We continue along a narrow path, full of stones and bushes

 Therefore, he warned me:

 - Don’t dare to  be afraid! - stroking my back very gently.

 (I didn't get it. It's really hard to understand an unknowable message like that.

 We took a few more steps.

 And we come to a type of fence, an entrance, full of oxen, wild cows, calves, sheep, chickens, ducks, pigs

 What are all those animals doing here?

 I do not understand – frowning  my forehead as a sign of deep confusion.

 It is when a  chubby  gentleman comes out, with thick mustaches and worse eyebrows.

 Carrying a cane in his hand, this man begins to distribute some tokens to the owners of these animals.

 And he wrote indecipherable things in a notebook.

 The animal owners, in turn, responded.

 I think that man called  right after  as I controlled the Master's routine, the same one who kept stroking my fur with his warm hand

 I kept observing everything, as my master smiled at some pretty girls in flowered dresses and hair blowing in the wind.

 What is all this?

 It is when, I realized that the animals entered that place, together with their owners.

 We were behind a heifer, who, since it was time to enter

 And  us  too.

 When we walked in,  I realized how wrong I was

 It was an animal fair.

 Not necessarily of trade and sale of animals but a fair where all the animals of the province were exposed.

 And like all human events, there was food, music, laughter.

 And that was exactly what made me different from them, because I couldn't laugh.

 - I understood at that moment that I was wrong,

 Well, bullfights were not like before, when bulls were killed, without mercy

 This type of practice had been prohibited by law, according to a sign hanging on the entrance wall.

 (Uff! I was narrowly saved!)

 For a moment I could breathe, and I could even say that I could almost laugh, inside me, with satisfaction.

 - Joselo, they shouted into the megaphone - Joselo Sánchez

 And, trembling, I saw that this man who had been taking care of me all that time, given food, talked to me just when he needed him most — or did he need me? -raise her hand shy of him, the one he raised to indicate presence.

 For my part, I could only look at him out of the corner of my eye, and I saw him in dismay, because, in reality, he had never treated me badly, which put me at an even greater disadvantage considering that I had thought badly of him, imagining that he had treated me badly. It would lead to a fight to sacrifice myself for the obscene purpose of benefiting financially or in some other way that I could not understand, because I am very human.

 However, and despite his simplicity reflected in his eternal light corduroy overalls - and, to top it all, we were in winter! , - or his mouth without teeth and without shame to say that he had no teeth to eat, and, even so, he had been faithful to me, he had respected my life before earning money or any other benefit in the name of a wrong tradition - or that I believe it.

 It is precisely when I realized that I really personified the sense of laughter full of joy and joy that anyone feels when having it.

 And that, on that afternoon with a lot of sun, and many people crowded in that space not so wide so let it be said, I, a miserable bull and that I think I have been despised by many I heard a name being uttered from a megaphone installed in the branch from a tree three cubits above my head:

 - Joselo.

 I repeated the name of him referred to times in my empty head and full of feelings engraved in my memory also hollow: Joselo, Joselo, Joselo.

 That was his name.

 That I am clumsy! Why did I never ask him?

 And just as life is, I ended up discovering something so normal, almost by chance - and sooner later than never - after the moon and moon in absolute ignorance.

 Happy, I sat down.

 By his side.

 He bought me some apple slices.

 And pineapple that had been given to him on the way.

 However, a man standing under the shade of a crab apple tree, he asked, pointing at me:

 - how much?

 - one hundred thousand - answered the old man, to which my heart wanted to go out through my snout, because every bull knows that, if a human wants to sell you, oi he will, even having to go through the family or friendship.

 At that moment, I began to sweat again, as I was used to the routine of cleaning and eating that I had in the barn, and, to tell the truth, I felt, for a moment, a bit betrayed by that human who at first I judged that he was entangled in the moorings that he owed injustice, because, seeing him with the equanimous eyes of reality, the master was a person, kind - unlike me, who had the courage to be wicked like a human being incapable of reasoning.

 Would all this be a mistake?

 I did not know, I did not know it.

 I could not define, because it seemed to me that I, despite my appearance, was afraid of being abandoned by a mistake. be.

 It was, in short, fear of loneliness that the error of abandonment could cause me in the short or long term, at any moment of my existence.

 It is when, a tear wanted to slide from my eye.

 But, more out of shame than strength, I kept it in my eye again.

 (I must be strong! Besides, I hope he doesn't have money! Let him be discouraged and go buy a chicken even if it is!

 Yes.

 The interested one passed his hand on my back, on my horns, looking at my snout and even my teeth.

 He gave me a complete physical exam!

 And I, I only observed his rough gestures and his clothes a bit, let's say, old, his soft straw hat.

 -          not! I thought firmly, rummaging a bit

 "Well," he said, "can the price be negotiated?"

 - Do you ask for a discount? - And he turned his gaze to me.

 -         I think that…

 - Look, I would gladly do it but it is that….

 And he did not complete the sentence.

 (Would my master also be afraid of loneliness, like me? Would he be attached to me?)

 Not knowing what else to say, he put on and took off his hat twice, looking for time and words to fill the void of the moment.

 Seeing his indecision, the interested party simply wiped the sweat from his forehead with the sleeve of his plaid shirt - to buy time, of course.

 Until in the infinite course of the moment, he said:

 already! Thanks

 And that man, he looked at me, measuring my ears with his fingers and my tail as well - putting his hand square in the air.

 "Little one!" He said, without any syntactic analysis or orthodontic root.

 - But, thanks, again - fixing his head turf.

 And he left, no more and no less.

 The only possible conclusion would be that, obviously, that interested party did not love me!

 Grateful for that "no", I looked at the Master with a certain sweetness, something uncertain for my species.

 And I bent over so that my Master put the collar yoke on me, to go home.

 Respectfully and slowly, I showed him my respect.

 I respect my master  and master.

 How was it

 Therefore, we joined the pilgrimage of San Isidro, since he had seen the saint arrive at the place.

 All the people ran after his image, so much so that they didn't even remember that I was a bull, because they told me things like:

 -          come on son!

 -          let's pray!

 Truth be told, I had never learned to pray.

 He did not know what it meant, he had no notion of its meaning.

 But the devotion of those people who walked next to the ethereal image of the holy farmer with a sweet look to illuminate the pineapple drying places that were around the hamlet of Cortijos Nuevos.

 Little by little those present of all ages gathered in that place.

 There were more than three hundred and fifty people!

 Until the Blessed Father arrived, along with deacons, and a group of well-dressed altar boys

 They gathered on the platform in the center of Morciguillinas, next to the pineapple drying area.

 An altar was installed in that place, where all the people sat on the floor, and began to listen to the mass, prayed in Latin.

 Obviously, I didn't understand anything they were saying.

 I only learned to feel what a human feels, when he is close to his faith: a great joy invading each one of us, illuminating all faces, including mine, which, for the first time, was putting itself in the place of humans.

 It was no longer a savage dress.

 And my master , he became a man.

April 22, 2021 23:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.