0 comments

Coming of Age

The only person Malorie could think of as she walked down the halls made of tiny tile was Oskar Gillion Best. Just the thought of her teenage flame brought goosebumps to the surface of her skin. What changed? Was he married? This tiny fixation might seem like obsession, but to Malorie, it was simply nostalgic excitement. Who didn’t ask these questions when they came face to face with people from the past?

All the trophy cases were in the same places. The glass was barely holding together after decades of quick fixing. Everything looked smaller now; less impressive with far less clout than it had. “YO!” A voice called after her as she wandered toward the gym. She spun around to find Courtney making his way toward her. He’s not who she was looking for, but Mal decided to keep her pleasantries in tact.

“Oh my God, Courtney?!” she feigned excitement, pulling him into a hug. “Look at ’chu!”

“Well, I don’t wanna brag, but,” he chuckled. “The years have been far too good to me.

“And you’re just as humble as ever.”

They shared a laugh before Malorie spotted the large blue eyes of a mousy woman over his shoulder. “This is my wife, Jane,” Courtney added clumsily onto the end of their conversation as if he’d nearly forgotten she was there.

“Pleasure,” Malorie lied, shaking the quiet woman’s hand. Jane was just the type Courtney would marry 10 years out of high school. He’d reached peak rebelliousness and, naturally, he retreated back to the cookie cutter life. At least that was how Malorie saw it.

Jane nodded and kissed Courtney on the cheek, saying something about going off to explore his past or something. Honestly, the girl just seemed like a background character, so when she left, it was back to the high school’s queen and her rebellious king. Still, Oskar lingered in her mind. Courtney disappeared later to find his wife and Malorie continued to the gym from there. She was already late. As an STNA, she was lucky she even made it to the reunion at all.

The gym was filled with the music of their generation. “Crunk” generally was the term. Malorie scanned the room to find even a hint of Oskar somewhere. In her anxiousness, Malorie couldn’t find him. It was when she went to the punch bowl that she realized that, in just 10 years out of high school, she had become a Punch Bowl Kid. Unbelievable. Malorie poured herself some of the drink in one of the cups stacked neatly near the bowl. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she realized someone spiked it. Or multiple people, judging by the taste. It was more alcohol than fruit punch at this point and it hit Malorie right where she needed it to. Thank God for liquor.

She chugged the drink and ladled herself another, glancing around the room. Still no Oskar, but she had seen a few familiar faces. Like that girl that was somehow popular, though she was painfully boring. Courtney entered a little while later and stole the show as he usually did. This night seemed like a bust, but she remained hopeful. With a pleasant buzz, Malorie thought of ways she could happen upon Oskar. She would know him if she saw him despite any changes. Courtney certainly didn’t change too much, except he seemed to have completely forgotten the pain she’d caused him. “Malorie Cortez,” A voice she recognized almost instantly chimed into her thoughts. It was a voice she’d fallen in love with, albeit an entire key deeper than it had been back then.

She already knew who he was, but she turned in a way that seemed nonchalant. There he was, standing with his dreadlocks pulled into a large bun atop his head. He. Was. Unmistakable. “Jesus,” She lied, “You scared the hell out of me.”

Oskar laughed, but there was cynicism now where there used to be nothing but friendliness. “Now why do I feel like that's not true?” Oskar called her bluff and Malorie wanted to scream in a good way.

“Well you can assume what you want,” Malorie flirted back with a shrug and a smile men generally killed for. “It’s been way too long. What have you been up to?”

When she heard herself speak, she couldn’t help but feel as though her voice sounded a bit shrill. Desperate even, but he didn’t seem to notice. “Well, I host a radio show now,” he answered. “My boss is trying to get me to do a stand up special, but I don’t think my wit is quick enough.”

Malorie laughed too hard. She knew she laughed too hard because Oskar gave her a look that made her feel 15 again. Taking another sip of the punch clutched in her hand, she coughed lightly, forgetting for a moment the alcohol inside. They shared a redolent laugh when she told him it was spiked. The entire time, Malorie thought about whatever hotel he paid for. If he was obvious about taking her home, Malorie probably would have beat him there. Then again, maybe it was the liquor taking over her thoughts. So she told him what she did for a living and all he had to say about it was “still?”

“Whoa,” Malorie attempted to defend herself. “We were having a good conversation until now.”

“All I’m saying is,” Oskar continued, though Malorie was already disgruntled. “It’s been 10 years, you coulda been way farther ahead...”

Malorie was ready to go home after that comment, but, as he ladled punch into a cup, something made her stay. Malorie almost left another three times before she decided to finally just ask him: “Are you single?”

“I broke up with my girlfriend recently,” Bingo. “I just wasn’t feeling her vibe anymore.”

Before Malorie blinked, her drink was gone. She was buzzed before, but now she was just plain drunk. It was then that Malorie decided that drink would be her last one. Upon that decision, the music stopped abruptly and the old class president began crowd pleasantries. Malorie watched Oskar, but he was watching the stage. A slide show started up, filling the dark room with chuckles and reminiscent stories. For Mal, however, the lights were beginning to blur. Oskar said something about getting closer and Mal followed him toward the front of the stage. Halfway there, they ran into Courtney who had also drank the sacred poison.

The meeting between the three of them was awkward. For her, anyway. Skar and Courtney fell right back into place as if she wasn’t Yoko. Courtney said something about needing to be seen and everything was a blur now. “Hey,” Malorie began, attempting to correct the slur in her voice. Her heart was beating a million miles a minute. She hoped the vulnerability didn’t reveal itself in her eyes. “What happened to us anyway? We could have really gone somewhere.”

Oskar smiled condescendingly and Malorie’s heart fell into her stomach. “It’s just weird Ri,” He patronized. “It’s like, sometimes I forget all about high school, but...you’re stuck there.”

Malorie heard enough, but Oskar continued. “No offense but...even in high school, it felt like high school was your peak.”

“And yet...I’m still offended...” she grumbled.

“Look, baby, you cool,” Oskar responded, shrugging. “But I’m way different and you’re...well...the same...”

It was like the air was pulled roughly from her lungs. Like when a person falls flat on their back. Oskar ended his complete massacre of everything she expected to happen with a casual goodbye. The kind of pleasantries suburban house wives and businessmen leave with. So Malorie stumbled toward the punch bowl again. The slide show was over and the president began to speak, but her voice faded to background noise. This, Malorie swore, would be her last drink as she ladled all the alcohol that sank to the bottom.

Malorie chugged the remaining punch before tossing her red solo cup onto the ground. Her dark eyes scanned the few people left at the reunion and she spotted Courtney. She took in that comfortable, creamy skin and his bright blue eyes. What Mal wanted now, more than anything, was to feel wanted again. She thought of the way he looked at her earlier and convinced herself that he wanted this too. The excitement of the epiphany the dark haired woman swayed toward him. It felt like a mile, but it was really only a few paces and she was in his personal space. “Let me see something,” she garbled, before pulling him into a deep, sloppy kiss.

“...So, since they funded the event, it would only be right for the queen and king to go to Courtney and his lovely wife!” The president announced. A light broke through Malorie and Courtney’s kiss while another fell onto Jane who she’d completely forgotten about until now.

November 25, 2022 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.