0 comments

Fiction

It has been so long since I’ve come to the market place. My insides writhe with the thoughts of the creatures I will definitely encounter. It’s been so long since I’ve associated with them, what feels like an eternity. I’m so overwhelmed with terror I almost swerve off course, causing a fatal collision. Focus, Teagan, focus. I can’t be squashed by the ever-amounting anxiety. Watching the familiar surroundings, I see every time I make the journey, I can barely control the shaking of my hands. Do I look decent? Will I blend in with the rest of the market place? Will I even make it out safely? All too soon, I’m at the loading dock and exiting my vehicle. Payment? Check. Disguise? Check. Courage? Not check but we’re going in anyway.

The stark whiteness of it all is blinding. The fluorescent lights burn my eyes. Usually I see very little light in my native habitat. Today is different. Not only have I seen the brighter lights of this place but also just outside it. My eyes need to adjust, and it takes all my will power not to tear up. I’m here for a big stock up of supplies and rations so I get a cart to contain all my things. Planning to get enough food to last a while, I begin in the biggest section. There are many earth grown fruits and vegetables. I like them as they are bright whereas most earth foliage is green and brown. Fresh produce just went ‘no, we’re going to be red’s and yellow’s and isn’t nothing you can do about it.’ I respect that. But as I enter and begin to select some of my favourites, a being approaches me. Fortunately, this one keeps away from me. With its purple, overlarge wrinkled mouth, I’m glad. In case I pick anything up I don’t want, I hope to avoid all interaction at all costs. With my fresh foods, I move to the cold aisle.

The refrigeration system cools the aisle down. Normally, I would bundle up and conserve warmth, but today I embrace it. It’s refreshing and different. It’s been a while. I pick up the cow juice and some fermented, solid cow juice with holes. It will make a nice gourmet meal between two slices of bread. With my dairy products, I scoot over to the baked goods. I pick up a loaf of bread to complete my 5-star meal (it’s popular among humans), and a little muffin with small chocolate pieces embedded amongst it (I decided to treat myself today. After all, it is a huge achievement.) With the wheat based baked treats, I head to the most dangerous part of this section. The butchered animals. Upon arriving, a being appears with a wrinkled white muzzle and plastic hands. I can barely understand what it utters, but I cautiously answer the question.

“Could I please have 500 grams of bacon and a leg of lamb?” I answer carefully. The lamb is a treat for my furry friend. He scoops the products into a bag with a metal extension to his arm and hands it over, wrapped nicely in paper with a sticker, adorned with black and white lines.

After receiving the rations, I scurry along, similar in fashion to a mouse from a cat. Scurry, scurry, scurry on to the next aisle. Many miscellaneous supplies are thrown into my cart as I move through the segmented market. Mostly I make it through without an imminent dangers. A few minor encounters but no interactions. Maybe I will make it out, unscathed? My hopes begin to rise and my anxiety leaves. I begin to roll my cart down the sections of the maze with more confidence, a step away from strutting. As I enter the last row, I pale. There is a creature. It is the section for canine companion meals, however and I can’t back out. This one has stiff, blonde hair and a wrinkled pink face, extruding from the rest of its features. It carries a dangling bottle of clear gel, attached to its belt with a bright pink key chain. Fancily done up, in a single item of clothing, flowing down its appendages in flouncy white layers. All complement each other and I have to admit, it is entrancing. Maybe I can make it without interacting? Or even approaching it? Alas, I am too hopeful. It is hanging around the rations I need. I casually walk up trying to attract as little attention as possible, kart entail. Browsing for the right products, I begin to sweat. I can feel it’s gaze upon me, feel it weighing its options. Approach me or leave? I pray for the latter. But, to absolutely no one’s surprises, it chooses to approach me.

“Hello? How are you?” it muffles from its muzzle. I’m regretting even leaving the safety of home base at this stage. But I needed supplies.

Reluctantly, I reply. “I am fine.” It looks at me inquisitively.

“Aren’t you going to ask how I am?” it asks, albeit offended. How could I forget? Basic manners.

“Sorry! I was, how are you?” I rush to amend. It smiles and goes on about how it is fine, living the high life.

“I’m sorry if I seem intrusive, but what is your name?” I shudder and answer, very reluctantly.

“I am Teagan. Nice to meet you…?” I finish, leaving options for her to insert her name.

“I’m Karen. Lovely to meet you Teagan. Enjoying life so far? I know I am. Though it has it’s challenges.”

“Yes, it is just grand,” I muffle from underneath my bright yellow disguise.

“I bet it is. Well I have to go. Two youngins at home. With their father but better not leave them. Heavens knows all that could have gone wrong!” it chuckles to itself, walking out. A sigh of relief escapes me as I scoop the tins into my cart and rush to the payment facility. There is another creature with another white face and plastic, wrinkled hands. Thankfully this one does not talk to me. I pay and leave. Mission accomplished. As I leave, the bright red Coles sign glowing in my wake, I take of my mask. All for Covid safety and to blend in. Finally, back into the safety of my house and the continuous quarantine. While it was a nice change to some extent, it certainly had its challenges. Now, I’m thankful that I’m home with little risk of being contaminated. Such an alien environment, the Market Place can be. 

November 09, 2020 10:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.