For You I Will

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story that involves love at first sight.... view prompt

1 comment

Romance

The city buzzed with the sound of cars zooming, horns honking and laughter. Music played in the distance. The stop light turned red, the signal to cross lit up. People hurried to cross the street before the light switched to green. Natalie was on her way to the office for another mundane day of crunching numbers and annoying co-workers. 

As she hurried she bumped into a man. "Excuse me!" he screeched as he took a double take. 

He knocked her purse to the ground. He paused took a glance at the crosswalk light, there was exactly 9 seconds left before the light turned green. Paul picked up her purse, handed it to her and quickly ran to the opposite street corner. Natalie was in to much of a rush to pay any mind to Paul. As she quickly stepped on to the curb, Paul began to stretch his neck and stand on his tiptoes to see her before she had disappeared into the crowd. His heart began to beat faster at the very thought of her. She smelled marvelous he thought to himself, her eyes were beautiful and as big as the sun. He was eager to know who this mysterious woman was. He glanced down at his watch. The I’m read 8:59 am. 8:59 am he thought to himself, I should be back here in town at 8:00am just so I can see her again if I’m lucky. Paul walked briskly towards the sound of music playing. As he got closer the louder the music became. 

“You are late Paul.” Chided Ramon 

“Yes, my apologies I got tied up, but I’m just in time for my solo.” Paul replied smiling as he grabbed his bass guitar. While pulling the strap over his head he began to think of his mysterious beauty again. His fingers clasped the top of the guitar and he began to play his solo. Hitting every note with precision. He played his heart out as if he were playing for her. He looked up and in the distance of the crowd he saw her peering at him from a distance. He blinked and she mysteriously disappeared. He drew back to his spot in the group as his solo ended. The band played song after song until it was time for a break. 

“One hour.” Shouted the band manager from across the stage. “Everyone has a one hour lunch.” He said again as he tapped his diamond studded Rolex.

Paul wandered to a nearby restaurant. He ordered his meal waited and walked out. As he ate and walked he decided to go back to where he bumped into Natalie. He stood at the corner waiting for the light to turn red. He thought to himself as he looked down the street of never ending buildings. Where could she possibly be? Scratching his head, and taking a bite of his pita sandwich he crossed the street. There was a conglomerate of financial buildings, legal firms among other things. He slowly walked passed a building that had security sitting just inside the door way, he noticed full body scanner’s and armed guards with shoot guns. He shuttered a bit at the thought of someone being apprehended buy those big bulky guys. He continued his walk. He noticed on bother sides of the street were nothing but seemingly high security buildings. “Man I might never find her again with all this, I’ll probably need a badge or something to even walk up the steps.” His chances of finding her again seemed futile. 

Paul glanced at his watch finding he had thirty minutes left to get back on stage. He turned to walk back and there she was, walking out of a legal firm. He stood there stunned by her beauty. Her hair being tussled by the wind. His heart began to beat harder as she approached him. The look on his face caused her to stop and ask. “Sir are you well? Do you need assistance? Are you lost?” her accent was of British accent, her voice was soft.

 He took a hard gulp before he said “I need you.” In a whisper under his breath. 

She smelled heavenly, he hair was Auburn, her make-up was flawless and heightened her natural beauty. She was slim, and slender. She touched him on the arm. He peered down at her well manicured hands. 

He froze he could not get one word out. “Sir are you alright?” 

She snapped her fingers in his ear. “Sir do you need assistance?”

He snapped out of it.

He exclaimed “I am perfectly fine miss, thank you.”

“Okay great!” she exclaimed as she began to walk off. 

He stopped her once more and gave her his business card. 

“If you are interested in jazz music I play bass guitar with my band of friends. We are actually playing for the Wenches Restaurant further down town. If you have the time come see us?” he said nervously.

She stood there for a moment and took in his features. He was strikingly handsome, muscular, well dressed, clean cut standing at six feet three inches. She felt herself relax a bit in his presence. She imagined herself hugged up against him. The strength of his arms around her. His body warming hers on a cool winter evening. His eyes put her in a hypnotic state. She clinched her diamond necklace as she watched his lips move as he spoke. 

'My good he is one fine fella.’ She thought to herself. His voice was deep and of southern accent. She enjoyed that small moment in his presence as she had been waiting and wanting a man that is similar to his make up. She glanced down at his hand as he held it out to give her his card. She took it slowly imagining him kissing and holding her in the warmth of their home. 

She stood their in a daze for a moment then snapped back. “Sure, if I have the time I will.” She walked off. He stood there and yelled. “I do private sessions as well.”

“Okay thanks.” She yelled as she continued to walk waving her hand good bye. 

He looked at his watch, he gasped. He had nine minutes to get back on stage.

He looked back and she disappeared again. Paul did not get her name. He ran back as fast as he could thinking the whole time I wish I knew her name. 

He arrived with thirty seconds to spare. He threw his sandwich down in his chair grabbed his guitar and began to play while walking up on stage. The crowd cheered and hollered as he played impeccable notes that echoed through the city streets.

After the concert ended the band packed their instruments and took off. That night he couldn’t focus on any of the band activities. Everything went in one ear and out the other. 

“Yo man you cool?” asked Matthew a saxophone player from Montgomery Alabama. 

“ Yeah man I good.” Paul replied

“Uhhh okay.” Matthew replied as he Pat Paul on the shoulder and walked off beer in hand. 

It was as if he floated through the night, tossing and turning wondering and wishing.

Days went by he still hadn’t heard from her.  

He began counting the days.

He felt he would never see nor find another woman as soft and as beautiful as Natalie. He did something he never does. He took a knee before going out on stage and prayed with a tear in his eye. He prayed that if he ever got the chance to be with her he would be everything she needed him to be. He stood up wiped his face. Took a shot of whiskey and walked out on stage. 

The lights were bright, the crowd cheered as he began to sing and play his guitar. His voice heavy with love and emotion. The crowd swayed as he sung and played. The night club was packed full of people. Cigar smoke filled the air. He sung his heart out. The lights went low and the crowd began to rage. They cheered, yelled, cried, hollered in emotion. Paul felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned and looked. It was her. She was there standing next to him. Listening to the song he sung. She knew he wrote it for her. He continued to sing to her, as he got in one knee he sang and played. Years fell from her eyes. When the song ended he stood up and hugged her tight. She whispered in his ear “My name is Natalie.” He held her and tight and said I’ll b everything you need me to be for you Natalie. They kissed. The spotlight turned blue as the band played softly shinning bright on Paul and Natalie. 


November 15, 2019 18:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

18:41 Nov 15, 2019

This short story is of a man and woman who bump into one another and fall in love. But one of the two is shy and decided to make the other wait.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.