THE MAGIC VACCINE

Written in response to: Set your story during the night shift.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fantasy Fiction

The vaccine was needed urgently everywhere to combat the disease. Plant 22 of Indmed was in continuous production in a new building set within a beautiful garden with a variety of plants  including  those yielding  attractive, scented flowers.

Tom who worked as a supervisor in the plant had finished dinner and was getting ready to leave for working the night shift. He was seated tying on his shoes when his wife Grace came and sat opposite him.  Grace suiting her name was a fair, tall and attractive woman with the abundant hair on her head being allowed to trail to its limit. She was a never-satisfied wife and would often pester Tom to buy her various ornaments and so on. She had been employed once in a garment factory but had quit when the owner wanted to have an affair with her.

She said “You work so hard no doubt, very often working night shifts, but are rewarded with only small increments. Last month for our wedding anniversary you got me a pearl necklace. My sister Kate has not only a pearl necklace but has one set with a large diamond.”

Tom said “Gracie, remember that Kate is married to man who captains ships in the merchant marine whereas I’m only a plant supervisor. You’ve the advantage I’m around all the time whereas Kate’s husband is away weeks, of course when she is unable to accompany him. Living alone has its problems: You’ll recall I had to run to Kate’s help when burglars attempted to enter her house.”

“I had to push you to help Kate as you won’t lift a little finger to help those in need. Of course you claimed the burglars vanished on seeing you come to help Kate. Now she has arranged security staff with electronic eyes.”

“All the same she keeps complaining that she finds it difficult without a man around the house.”

“Yes.  And you being around has made me produce a son.”

Tom said “Kate has no kids.”

“Merely having a man around the house doesn’t ensure kids.”

Tom looked at his watch and said “Gracie, it’s getting late as I’ve to start the night shift and run it.”

Grace said “I’ve been told your assistant supervisor Sheila is a good-looker. I hope she won’t interfere in my marriage.”

“She doesn’t work night shifts. And when I have you why should I look for Sheila?”

“They say men often seek variety.”

“I’m content with you. I don’t need variety.”

She got up and kissed him and said “That is not what I meant. I’ll clarify another time when we can continue the discussion. Bye for now.”

“Bye.”

Tom walked to the factory which was near his home and sat in his office looking for possible messages from the earlier shift. There were none. He walked out to see the readiness of the production line. The night staff had arrived and were drawing on their overalls, caps ,masks and gloves. Tom saw the board indicated that batch 107 was about to come on line. He went into the freezer vault and came out with the container to be used. He stood watching as it was loaded and connected to the conveyor. In 10 minutes the operation would start. Tom stood looking at his watch and at exactly 10 he switched on the machine. Empty vials now started coming and waited to be filled. Tom watched the first loaded vials coming off.  He then went around  checking  if the support facilities were in readiness. He went to his room and entered all details in the log ledger.

*

Outside in the flower garden, fairies Oberon and his wife Titania were walking around invisible to mortal eyes.

Titania said “This factory disturbs the peace. Noisy even beyond midnight!”

Oberon said “Can’t be helped. They need to produce the vaccine in large quantities in view of the prevailing epidemic. This kind of continuous running will persevere for several months more.”

“You’ve always some reason to contradict me. I charged you with that fling you had with the Indian girl Phillida but you couldn’t hide it.”

“You haven’t been sinless. You fell for Bottom.”

She laughed and said “He was brought in by our son Puck to make you jealous. You’re the one who is guilty of enjoying yourself outside marriage.”

Puck now came that way and their talk ceased. Puck said “Mum, dad you’re both forever at war. Seeing me approach you stop talking.  Don’t think I can’t guess what is happening.”

Titania said “I was telling your dad that the vaccine plant is a nuisance due to the sound it makes even in the dead of night. And he was defending its running. That talk led on to other talk which upset us.”

Puck said “Mum, I’ll help contain the noise.” He disappeared.

Actually he went round picking a variety of flowers and squeezed the extract into a large empty vial he brought out from within. He was ready to carry out his plan.

*

At exactly midnight the feeding container for batch 107 emptied and there was a small break for the staff. As they went about picking up coffee cups for the brew which would be supplied, Tom brought container batch 108 from the freezer and opening it waited for the workers to rejoin. Puck entered at that moment and emptied the contents of his vial into the vaccine container and withdrew. He expected the contamination would stop the machines working. However Puck’s intervention went unnoticed and the machines started working. By daybreak the operation was complete. Tom walked home and was soon snoring in his bed.

A week later it was found that vaccine of batch 108 caused no pain while being injected and had no after effects. The vials of the batch were sent for analysis when new elements were found in it. A forensic analysis  of the vaccine found new chemical elements  within it and were identified. It was found that the ‘contamination’ was really needed for the vaccine to be really painless and more effective.  A new vaccine plus had been discovered! Tom was given a reward for his dedication though it wasn’t known how a contaminant could have got into the vaccine container. An enquiry team which was looking to find the source of contamination was simply puzzled! The improved vaccine was Puck’s effect. He had thought that the contaminant would cause the machines to stop moving. Instead it had improved the vaccine!

Tom went home that day and said “Gracie, I’ve some money for you to buy jewellery.”

She said “No! I don’t want any.”

Tom asked “Why the sudden attitude change?”

“I’m looking to produce Mercy our daughter. I withdraw whatever I had said earlier. You must divert your energies on me to produce Mercy. I’m ready. Let us start at once!”

Tom happily complied.

END

September 03, 2021 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.