1508 comments

Fantasy Drama

“THIS BLASTED ELEVATOR IS GOING TO GET US ALL BEHEADED!” The young boy hollers, kicking the sleek metal walls of the elevator. Worry and fury wrestle for control of his face, and it comes out as a yell while salty tears stream down his cheeks.

“Ow, ow, ow,” he whimpers, his blue eyes swimming with more tears as the kid holds his hurt foot. “That door was too hard….” 

“Then don’t kick it,” the only other passenger suggests. His blond hair partially covers his chocolate-chip eyes as he stares down at the child.

The younger boy snarls. “But we’re going to die!”

“Who are you?” The first boy asks, studying the other person’s face. The kid looks like a tween, with shaggy dark hair and tear-stained, flustered cheeks.

“I’m Miles,” he says, his voice shaky, “and this elevator is cruel.” He starts to pace. “Okay. Okay. The power went out. We’re stuck here. The Queen’s marriage starts in ten minutes. She ordered the whole Kingdom to be there. Even the River goddess will be there. If we’re not….” he gulps then shoots a look at the older boy. “Who are you?”

“I’m…Chase,” the blond replies hesitantly. Nobody knew the Queen had a son, so he was safe from Miles figuring out his true identity. “But my friends call me Ace.”

Not like he had any friends. Only his family, the Royals, knew he existed. And his baby cousin Bri didn’t count.

“Why the pause?” Miles asks, wiping more tears from his face with his robe’s sleeve. “And why aren’t you wearing the designated outfit? The Queen ordered all citizens of the Kingdom to show their loyalty to the Royals.”

Prince Chase inwardly curses as he scans Miles’ robe. It’s scarlet fabric draped over the small boy’s frame, embroidered with the silver outline of a star—the Symbol of the Kingdom. His own robe has a purple star in the center of the silver one, as a sign he’s a Royal. Chase’s not allowed out of the castle, as he’s a secret to the Kingdom, but he snuck out to watch the ceremony between the Queen and her fiancé, disguised as a Citizen. Chase couldn’t very well have worn his robe, because that would’ve given away his identity of a Royal, but he should’ve had a Citizen’s robe tailored to him. Citizens who don’t follow orders—in this case, to wear the Kingdom’s robes with the Symbol—would be beheaded, and disobeying an order didn't blend in very well.

“I have my Citizen’s robe under this,” Chase says, gesturing to his tunic and pants. “I’ll maybe sure the Symbol of the Kingdom is showing by the time we get to the ceremony, don’t worry.”

“I’m worried,” Miles says nastily, “because we might not ever get to the ceremony.” The young boy musters up his angriest face before it dissolved into more crying.

“I don’t want to die,” Miles says between sobs.

Chase pats his back. “How old are you?”

“Ten.”

“I’m fourteen.” The words fly out of Chase’s mouth before he can consider what to say.

Miles’ glistening blue eyes dart around the stalled elevator. The glossy elevator buttons of the Citizens apartment building are superstitious—they go 𝟏𝟏, 𝟏𝟐, 𝟏𝟒, no 𝟏𝟑 in sight. The entire Kingdom is packed in the one, huge apartment building, with the equally large castle for the Royals a courtyard away.

Miles slumps on the floor. He seems to realize he couldn’t do anything but wait for the power to go back one. “So, um…hi.”

“Hello.” Chase shifts his weight.

The word hangs in the air as an awkward silence covers the elevator. Miles’ tears have dried away, but his eyes are still watering as he inhales and exhales slowly. “Why aren’t you scared?”

“Of what?” says Chase.

“Of this elevator not hurrying up. If we’re not at the ceremony soon, we’ll be killed.”

“Oh, I am scared,” Chase says, “just not for that reason.”

Miles gives him the side-eye. “What reason is more important than life?”

Chase inwardly curses. He can’t very well say, “My mom is the Queen, I won’t die because I’m a Royal, but I’ll get an insane scolding and a grounding for a year”, but his mind comes up blank with new ideas. “Um….”

“Yes?”

“Urm….”

Spit it out, Chase-but-my-friends-call-me-Ace!”

“I don’t know,” Chase admits truthfully.

Miles’ hard gaze fixes on Chase’s face. “You’re hiding something.”

“No, I’m not!”

“Chase-but-my-friends-call-me-Ace, you most definitely are.”

“First, please stop calling me that. Second, why are you so barky all of a sudden?!” Chase snaps. “You were sobbing and sad a moment ago, and now you’re accusing me of something that’s completely false.” True, true, false. ⅔ wasn’t bad when your existence is a secret.

Miles’ mouth opens then shuts. “Sorry. I’m just a little…worried? I mean, did the power have to go out right now?”

“It’s okay, buddy,” Chase says, patting the boy on the head. “I’m sure the elevator will get moving soon.”

“And if not?” Miles sniffles.

Chase hesitates. “I’ll protect you from the Queen’s rage.”

“How would you do that? And why?”

“I like you, and nobody deserved to die because of a power outage that wasn’t their fault, much less a ten-year-old. And about how…I don’t know.” ….a way to protect you without revealing myself to my mom and the kingdom, Chase silently added.

“Thanks,” Miles says. “I feel much safer now.”

Chase cocks his head then realizes Miles is joking. The small boy sniggers. “But seriously, thanks. I just really hope it won’t come to that.”

He jumps up. “STUPID ELEVATOR!”

A moment later, Miles is back on the floor, not having enough hands to put pressure on all the places that were injured. “ARRRRRRGH!” was the attack with his foot. “I WILL DIE BECAUSE OF—” was him punching the elevator wall. The continuation of that sentence, “—YOUUUU!”, was Miles ramming into the wall at full speed, with his full body.

“Ow,” Miles moans. 

“Sorry,” Chase winces. “How much does it hurt?”

“I’ll be dead soon, so that doesn’t really matter.”

“Don’t say that,” Chase says. “I’m sure the power will be back on soon.” He glares at the sleek walls, like, Power, you better be on soon. 

“You know,” Miles says, his gaze fixed on 𝟏𝟒 taking the place of the button 𝟏𝟑, “It’s funny to imagine there’s a building that is completely made of all the level thirteens, and it has awful luck.”

“Funny indeed,” Chase nods, “but not possible. The other buildings don’t have levels. The school, the library…they’re all flat.”

“Yeah, but the castle has floors,” Miles says.

“Maybe so, but no level thirteen.”

Chase immediately regrets his words. Miles will find out he’s the unknown prince before the end of the elevator ride. He tries to swallow the hard lump in his throat as Miles glares. 

“How do you know that?” Miles asks, his brows furrowed and a frown painted onto his pale lips.

“Just a guess,” Chase lies, hoping the cover-up would be enough. “Anyways, urm, you must be pretty smart to think of that level-thirteen thing.”

“Really smart, or loves to daydream.”

“Hmm. What else do you know?”

“Digits and digits of pi, way too much mythology, and an insane amount of random facts and ideas, among others. But I know—”

Chase’s face flashes white. That sentence could definitely end “I know…you’re the prince that’s a closely guarded secret from everyone other than the Royals”.

“What?” Miles says, interrupting his own sentence as the sight of Chase’s paled face.

“Na…nothing.”

“Were you nervous about how I was going to end that sentence?”

Chase nods. “Yes.”

“How did you think it would end?”

“How was it going to end?” Chase counters.

“Hmm,” Miles says. He was going to say, “I know how to write in Hebrew, too”, but all of Chase’s behavior had given him a hunch that he needed to test. “The end starts with a ‘p’. Is that what you were afraid of?”

That could mean anything, Chase tells himself. “Yeah.”

“Then ‘r’.”

“Um….”

“‘i’.”

“Yeah….”

“Next is ‘n’.”

Chase takes a deep breath. “Yes. So you, know, don’t you?”

Miles smiles. He thinks he did, but he doesn’t know, and he was making his fast-friend-in-the-making nervous. “Yeah. I know how printing works.”

“Thank the Royals,” Chase burst.

Miles smirks. “What did you think I was going to say?”

“That. Exactly that.”

Miles sighed and glanced at his watch. “Well, it was nice knowing you, Chase-but-my-friends-call-me-Ace. We’re dead. Very dead. Extremely dead. In fact, we’re so dead we’re—”

Creeeeeak.

Miles jumps with joy as the elevator starts moving. “YES! The power’s back on!” He raises an eyebrow at Chase and says, “Why aren’t you celebrating?” before going back to hollering, “YES!”

Chase starts to celebrate too. He wouldn’t die anyways, but he was afraid Miles would. Besides, Chase’s cover would be blown if the Queen said she was going to kill them.

Miles’ face fell as he glanced at his watch. “We’re out of time.”

“Huh?”

“We’re out of time—the ceremony started a while ago—and we’re out of time as in, we’ll die because of that.”

Miles looks like he’s holding back tears as the elevator doors ding! open.

Guards, dressed in shiny armor fitted over red jumpsuits and armed with sheathed swords, stand in front of the way out. Ahead of the guards, the giant courtyard is packed with thousands of Citizens, staring ahead at the stage in front of the castle on the other side of the courtyard.

The guards grab Miles and Chase as they try to bolt out of the elevator. The men hoist the boys in the air. “What do you think you’re doing?” one of the guards demands in a deep voice.

“Trying to get to the wedding,” Chase answers, nodding towards the music coming from the stage.

“You’re late,” the other guard says. “Also, why aren’t you wearing your robe, young man?”

Chase winces and Miles whispers, “P-p-please spare us.”

“No,” the first guard says. “Actually, it’s the queen’s judgement.”

“Chase-my-friends-call-me-Ace,” Miles whimpers, “what are we going to do?!”

The boys struggle to get loose as the guards march towards the stage just as the wedding is ending. People are just started to disperse, and the Queen and the new King are still on the stage.

“What do we have here?” the Queen booms as Miles and Chase are dropped into the floor.

One of the guard bows. “These Citizens refused to attend your wedding. They were very, very late. Also, the older one isn’t wearing his robe!”

“The power went out in the elevator!” Chase protests. “And my robe isn’t on because—” 

The Queen pointed to the ground. “Bow before your Queen!”

Chase and Miles kneel on the stage for a full minute. Chase wonders when he should rip off his hood and reveal he’s a Royal—not yet, not now.

Eventually, the Queen says, “Rise, so we may address your punishment.”

The boys silently get up. The entire crowd has now returned to watch the sentencing. The tall Queen, dressed in a white robe with the Symbol of a Royal and draped in expensive accessories, glared down at the late kids. “You’ll die,” she decides after five minutes of sweat trickling down Miles’ neck.

Chase and Miles both scream and flail as the two guards pick each of them up and start in different directions. Miles freaks because he’s about to be killed, and Chase screams because Miles feels like a little brother by now. No. A friend. 

“STOP!” Chase roars.

Both guards stop and stare at the Queen. Her eyes focus on Chase, who thumps to the floor as the guard drops him. “Twice now you’ve spoken out of turn. Citizens don’t—”

“I’m not a Citizen,” Chase snaps.

He rises and pulls off his hood, smiling at the Queen. “Hi, Mom.”


There's a pause as Queen’s jaw drops, and the crowd’s jaws drop with it. Chase turns to the whole Kingdom. “Hello, Citizens of our Kingdom! I’m your prince, Chase. But my friends call me Ace. Anyways…yeah, hi!”

He beams at the shocked people then twists back his mom.

“You didn’t,” the Queen says in a hushed voice.

“I did.”

Miles’ eyes bug out as he looks from the Queen, to the guards, to Chase. 

“Well….” the Queen struggled for the right words. Finally, she points to the young boy on the floor. “That one will still be beheaded!”

The guard picks up Miles again and Chase says, “No.”

The guard stops again as the Queen says, “What?” 

“No. I said, no,” Chase repeats. “Miles stays alive. It wasn’t his fault the power went out and he deserves to live. You’re not killing him.” 

“Why aren’t I?” the Queen says innocently. 

Chase tosses his blond hair as he rushes over to the vacant guard. Before the metal-clad man can react, the prince grabs his sheath.

Chase takes the sword out and matches over to the Queen. He holds up the blade, then puts it at his own neck. Chase knows his mother doesn’t care if a Citizen dies. But a Royal? The prince? Her son?

Oh, the delicious way Chase’s action takes effect on the Queen.

“N-no,” the Queen stammers as she stared at the sword resting on Chase’s throat. “You wouldn’t.”

Chase doesn’t break eye contact as he presses the sword a little harder. “I would.”

“What—”

“Let. Miles. Go.” Chase says, gritting his teeth in determination. 

The prince’s brown eyes lock with his mother’s as she spits out the words, “Fine.” She motions for the guard, and the brown-haired ten-year-old drops to the floor. “We’ll discuss this later,” the Queen sneers.

Chase nods and Miles sprints over to him. The crown, once again, starts to disperse and the Queen and King leave the stage.

“I can’t believe you did that,” Miles breathes as he hugs Chase.

“Neither can I,” the prince admits.

“Thank you.”

“No problem!” Chase smiles. “Will you be okay?”

Miles’ features tighten. “Yeah.”

“I need to go now,” Chase says. “My mom will literally kill me and I need to be early for that. Goodbye, Miles,” he says as he starts walking towards the castle.

Miles sets off towards the apartment buildings, but not before pausing to say goodbye. He’s about to say “So long, Chase-but-my-friends-call-me-Ace”, but his own words surprise him.

“Goodbye…Ace.”

September 11, 2020 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1508 comments

20:19 Sep 11, 2020

WOOOOOOOO, 20TH STORY!! SWEET! Alas, I don’t really like this one. Notes on ‘Out of Time’: 1. I don’t really like this....I mean, I like it, and I’m proud of it, but it isn’t my fav story of mine. I know this doesn’t quite measure up to my norms, stories, sorry. This one doesn’t have a complex plot and is mostly dialogue, but I hope it’s amusing???? I normally never would’ve finished and posted this, but you guys convinced me. I mean, even a bad story is a story nonetheless. I don’t post this expecting to win AT ALL; I just haven’t ...

Reply

06:41 Sep 12, 2020

YAY 20!!! STORIES

Reply

13:02 Sep 12, 2020

Hehe, thankssss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
13:19 Sep 16, 2020

https://forms.gle/TgaUcNjEzwrVSPTB7 Siso, I just created a superpowers quiz which kinda sucks, but feel free to check it out anytime! huhuhuhu

Reply

14:35 Sep 16, 2020

I did :D

Reply

Orenda .
14:49 Sep 16, 2020

yeeeee thenksss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
22:59 Jan 03, 2021

Oh hi Orenda I will do your quiz now!

Reply

Orenda .
06:38 Jan 04, 2021

ohh, no problem. I even forgot I had created that quiz XD.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:17 Jan 04, 2021

Hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
16:33 Sep 18, 2020

Hello Aerin! I love your stories. I also love the ending even though she's an evil queen she still loves her son! Literally duhh. Anyways, would you mind checking out my new story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 6 replies
21:03 Sep 11, 2020

Great job! This story wasn't bad at all, I liked it a lot. It was kinda cute that he stood up for the little boy.

Reply

21:04 Sep 11, 2020

Thanks! Hehe, thanks, although I honestly wouldn’t classify Miles as ‘little’. He’s almost my age, and I feel like anybody would be sobbing if they know they won’t get out of the situation alive. Thanks for stopping by!

Reply

00:05 Sep 15, 2020

Hey Aerin, I made the "Quiz" I was talking about. Is there a way you can look at it and tell me if I gave you enough credit? And maybe take it while you're at it? And congrats on publishing CQ!!!!!!!!! Thats awesome!!

Reply

01:02 Sep 15, 2020

Yesss I’ll take it!! Thankssss!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:10 Sep 15, 2020

Erm, the quiz doesn’t work....

Reply

01:14 Sep 15, 2020

Uh what do you mean? 4 people have tooken it and it seemed to work for them...

Reply

01:22 Sep 15, 2020

Wait, no, I took it!

Reply

Show 1 reply
01:17 Sep 15, 2020

Hmmm well it doesn’t work for me...is it a Forms or a Microsoft thingy? Mind resending the link? P. S. I made my own quiz! Mind checking it out :D https://forms.gle/CebkgSUqf8X3Crce6

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
21:29 Sep 11, 2020

Yeah... same . Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
01:00 Sep 15, 2020

OMG is color quest out???! (also, p.s Drowning in Fire hasnt been approved, have any idea whats that about? Its been a couple days)

Reply

01:04 Sep 15, 2020

Yes it issssss!!!! I’m so excited!!!! IT’S LITERALLY ON AMAZON! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HW4F5NV Pardon my insane excitement, lol. SQUEEEEE (P. S. Omg, the same things have been happening to me! My stories haven’t been approved in weeks...idk what’s happening, but it’s bad)

Reply

נιмму 🤎
01:47 Sep 15, 2020

ughhh idk wut i did! maybe i didnt answer the prompt correctly or something? should I email them and also mention that this has happened to you too?

Reply

01:49 Sep 15, 2020

It’s definitely not anything wrong on our part...it’s been happening to a couple other people too, and this is bad...I mean, not huge changes, but still annoying. We don’t even get a shot at shortlists or winning! I don’t know what’s happening...Ooh, good idea. If you want to, of course.

Reply

נιмму 🤎
02:05 Sep 15, 2020

i said this: Hi I'm not sure if this is the correct email I'm supposed to send to when I have a problem or anything, but I noticed recently that my story ('Drowning in Fire') hasn't been approved, and its been days after the contest ended. I'm not sure if maybe this is my fault, like if I answered the prompt wrong, or if this is some technical difficulty or something? Other people have been having the same issue, like a friend of mine Aerin's story wouldn't get approved at it has been weeks. Because of this, our stories don't show up wh...

Reply

11:22 Sep 15, 2020

Noice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
נιмму 🤎
02:11 Sep 15, 2020

well i sent it i hope thats ok that i mentioned u

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
23:38 Sep 17, 2020

Hi Celeste! I know I'm sorta being nosy, but did you get an answer to that email???? It's been happening to me, too, and it's sooo annoying. Sorry for just interrupting this chat thing

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
נιмму 🤎
01:58 Sep 15, 2020

yeah i will, and then ill show u wut i said. who do i email... maybe arielle?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
01:03 Sep 15, 2020

OMGG i looked at it and it issss ughhh i cant wait to buy ittt

Reply

01:50 Sep 15, 2020

Squeeeee thankssss!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Hriday Saboo
04:16 Sep 14, 2020

Hey brilliant story rainbow 🌈 liked it a lot Checked your book Liked the cover page

Reply

13:00 Sep 14, 2020

Thanks!!! Ooh, yay, thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:23 Sep 12, 2020

Wow, Congo on 20 th story! I liked the ending a lookouts Hmmmm title Miles+Chase = Mase

Reply

12:30 Sep 12, 2020

Thanksssss, hehe! Noice, but I think I’ll stick with the other title for now. ORRRRRR THEY COULD BE CHILES Lol SPEAKING OF lol (although I lol so much there’d be another opportunity to talk about my lols, which is what this is), thanks for putting me, the Lol Lady, in your bioooo! You're meh friend tooo (by now, 60% of all my friends are Reedsy. 10% are fictional book characters ive read. 20% are book characters I’ve created. That means 10% are my other friends. Which honestly makes sense because sin really life, I have a couple of clos...

Reply

Sia S
13:12 Sep 12, 2020

Hehe. Lol, chiles. :)) XD M3 too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Solace Reinhart
00:02 Sep 26, 2020

.o. CHILES INDEED

Reply

Show 0 replies
C.J Dunstall
05:05 Oct 01, 2020

Gosh Aerin that was very interesting to read 50 times over. I couldn't quite understand that comment but it sure was a whole different style of writing.

Reply

22:28 Oct 01, 2020

Hehehehe

Reply

C.J Dunstall
10:02 Oct 03, 2020

Hey I just added my new Summer Break Blues chapter If you want to check it out

Reply

12:25 Oct 03, 2020

I diiiiid

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
14:14 Sep 16, 2020

Hey, I didn't do the texting things, but have you ever??? Interested to see replies lol. This downvoted is really annoying me. They started with me now. Left them a little note in my bio. I don't know when they'll stop and realize how mean they're being. Have a wonderful day :D

Reply

14:34 Sep 16, 2020

No, I’m prob not allowed to, but it sounds so fuuuun... Yeah, it’s SO ANNOYING. Like, your comment is at 0! Ridiculous! Aaaand I’ve lost 1500 points in the last 10 hours. I can’t friggin’ believe it. Jdiwdjwidn sorrrrrry...I’ll go read the note! You too!

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:35 Sep 16, 2020

Yeah, that's why I didn't either XD. Lemme know if someone does it. Ugh, for real? So annoying. That's terrible. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
14:17 Sep 13, 2020

Hey Aerin you said you were bored so I've got a few questions for you. Re your Amazon publishing. Are you getting a copyright? Did you design a cover? How are you going to market your book? What pricing have you chosen? I'm working on a novella right now in between drafts of my novel. I think I'll self publish the novella as an ebook.

Reply

15:22 Sep 13, 2020

Hi, Zilla! Okay, answers: 1. I’ve decided not to. I mean, I might, but I don’t know. They cost $30, I think, and the chances of people copying CQ out of millions of Amazon books are low. 2. Yep! The problem is, literally no pictures match CQ well. I really want a picture of rainbow keys, but NOPE. So the end cover is a rainbow explosion, which is as relevant-and-still-pretty as I can get, and a purple title, white name, etc. 3. I’m pricing the paperback at $9.99, possibly less. The eBook will be $2.99. I’m not really marketing it.....

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
20:56 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you! 1. That's good to know, I wasn't sure how much it'd cost. 2. Sounds good! I'll probably just clip-art the cover myself, I already have an idea of what I want. 3. Also sounds good! I guess $2.99 is kind of standard for ebooks? (I usually buy paperbacks or borrow them from the library-- ebooks hurt my eyes after awhile haha). And as for marketing... I'll have to see. I might join Twitter just so that the buyers can follow me or whatever. I've got a little while before the novella's done anyway. Thank you for answering! I appreci...

Reply

21:13 Sep 13, 2020

Thankssss! Ooh, good idea. I’m not joining twitter or anything, but I’m still doing stuff like telling a bunch of people. Also, ebook stands really vary, lol. Some are priced at a little less than the normal book—like $7.99 for the whole Sammy Keyes series. I personally think you should go as low as you can while still making 70% royalties: CQ ebook are $2.99, leaving $2 a book for me. Oh, and I changed the CQ paperback price to $7.49. Anyways, er, yeah. Bye!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
12:38 Sep 27, 2020

Yeah, I've been reading all kinds of posts and law stuff and I have a better grip now, thanks. Also, why's your bio so short? It used to be a story of its own and now I don't understand what you mean by 4.

Reply

13:05 Sep 27, 2020

😉

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
08:47 Sep 16, 2020

Daz really cool!!!! And I'm really sorry for the decrease in your points:( how can a person be so insensitive?! They're jealous and wasting their time rather than doing their chores or whateva shit they do lmao.....don't worry you'll gain them back in no time:))))) I read Vayd's bio and he's written the note with such sass hahahah

Reply

11:45 Sep 16, 2020

Thanksssss! Yeah, I totally agree...I mean, it would take hours decreasing 1000+ points from me, upvoting Zilla 1000+ points, and taking hundreds of points from my friends all in one night...I hope, but it’s still a good chunk of my points....oh yeah I saw lol

Reply

Orenda .
11:52 Sep 16, 2020

Yeeeeee but it shouldn't matter much, considering our prime thing to do here is read, write and befriend people:-)))))

Reply

12:02 Sep 16, 2020

Yeah, but it’s still annoyingggg

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
12:19 Sep 16, 2020

Hey, sorry to just barge into this thread, I just stumbled on it while upvoting, but I might have a solution to the cover page problem. STEPS! (Disclaimer: These suggestions were NOT made by a person who knows how to use Photoshop.) 1. Learn Photoshop or ask a friend/family member if they know how to use it 2. Download photoshop. 3. Download an image of a key. 4. Recolor it to be a rainbow-colored. 5. Duplicate the images. 5. VOILA! Hopefully, you found this helpful, hopefully, that downvoter goes away, and hopefully, y...

Reply

12:25 Sep 16, 2020

Noice! Buuuut I’m probably gonna stick with the current cover. Thanks tho :D

Reply

Akshat .
12:26 Sep 16, 2020

Oh, you're welcome! Go see the message I kept on my bio for the downvoter!

Reply

12:28 Sep 16, 2020

Lol I saw noice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply

Awesome job girl! It rocks! Congrats for your 20th story! Can you check out my new story and leave a comment? Thanks! ~SS

Reply

13:01 Sep 19, 2020

Thanks! Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
01:03 Sep 16, 2020

Aerin, I'm so sorry about what happened with your account. You seem to shrug it off but if that happened to me I'd practically be in tears. You're an amazing author and I'd like to keep reading your stories if you post them. If there's a way to help me find your new account, I'd love to do it. Please keep writing and I'm excited that CQ is finally out.

Reply

01:06 Sep 16, 2020

Aw, thanks, Scout!! Yeah, I’m really annoyed but at least I can still post stories...and I have a new account! Thank you so muuuuuch! This is still my main account, I just won’t post a ton. I’m thinking about posting a story on this account, so I can see comments and likes, then doing it again on my other account for a chance of winning. Idk. Thanksssss! There’s actually a thing in my bio about it...if you make a Forms asking me in a comment, I’ll answer! Thanks!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:08 Sep 16, 2020

Oh okay. Still sorry about the whole deal. Write on!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:09 Sep 16, 2020

Hmm I don't really have access to forms right now, so could you just follow me with it? Sorry I honestly don't know.

Reply

01:11 Sep 16, 2020

Oh, I did! 👇🏽👇🏽👇🏽

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:12 Sep 16, 2020

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:09 Sep 16, 2020

What’s happening with accounts? No approving, right???

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:11 Sep 16, 2020

Yeah. I feel so bad for Aerin. Hopefully she'll be posting in her new account. I love the name Isla Brooke in CQ, though. Check it out ;)

Reply

01:13 Sep 16, 2020

Noice!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:15 Sep 16, 2020

Haha, yup.

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Shikha
04:10 Sep 16, 2020

Do I know you?

Reply

11:21 Sep 16, 2020

Oh yeah, we’re good friends

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:48 Sep 16, 2020

Aerin?

Reply

11:21 Sep 16, 2020

😉 Hi, Sia!

Reply

Sia S
11:22 Sep 16, 2020

hiy!!!

Reply

11:22 Sep 16, 2020

Ima go update my bio brb

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
11:22 Sep 16, 2020

do I know u ? (If you get what I mean)

Reply

11:24 Sep 16, 2020

Yep!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Amany Sayed
12:55 Sep 15, 2020

Haha, I don't know, some people are lazy I suppose lol. And I think what Reedsy is doing is a little annoying. At least -18 peeps can still be on here and they aren't like canceling the accounts of those they think are under age?

Reply

13:18 Sep 15, 2020

Hehe Yeah...I mean, at least people are still allowed to write stories, buuuut...the main point is, how do they/DO THEY EVEN know our ages?

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:16 Sep 15, 2020

Yeah, i don't know. I'm thinking of changing my entire thing to just Unknown and see what they do.

Reply

15:21 Sep 15, 2020

Hmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Another awesome story, Aerin! I'm so amazed that you finished the book Color Quest and it's on Amazon! You already know that I kind of don't write much anymore but one of the reasons is because I'm busy teaching some kids how to play ukulele and guitar virtually (it's so hard not doing it face-to-face anymore). One of my students started a Youtube channel, and I have a favor...Can you check out one of their videos? They just started playing covers and want to improve :) If you can't, that's totally okay. Have a great day :D -AJK

Reply

22:51 Sep 22, 2020

Thank you so much! Oooooh, cool! Sure, I’ll check out the channel! Althouuuugh I don’t have an account so I can’t comment or sub. I guess I’ll just tell you and you can tell them. Anyways, can I have a link? Lol. You tooo! -Aerinnn

Reply

Oki! Sure thing :) Here lol: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLXxoLrmB_mSNcg1SwRCI3Q

Reply

23:15 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks! Okay, I watched it. Tell her she’s a really good singer and I enjoyed her videos :D

Reply

Thank you, I'll tell her :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

I appreciate it so much for watching it....I'ma go upvote your comments!

Reply

23:48 Sep 22, 2020

Haha, no problem! Thank youuuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:24 Sep 16, 2020

Hey! Me and Blair want to upvote your comments cuz we feel bad about you losing so many points! I lost about 50 points which probably doesn't seem like much, but it was about 10% of what I had, so just know you are not the only one! Can you tell us some of the stories that you have commented the most on? So that we can upvote them? Thanks! :)

Reply

22:30 Sep 16, 2020

Omgggg THANK YOU GUYS!! I’ll upvote you both tooo!! Urm...there stories have the most comments: Out of Time Recipe for Diasaster Can You? THANKSSSS

Reply

22:35 Sep 16, 2020

Sure!! Heading there nowww

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:33 Sep 16, 2020

I literally LOVE all of those ones!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
22:24 Sep 16, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

22:30 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Expect more points soon!

Reply

22:33 Sep 16, 2020

Aww, thank YOU!!

Reply

21:19 Sep 22, 2020

Hey, upvote spree for upvote spree? (I mean, upvote Aerin, not this account, lol)

Reply

15:21 Sep 23, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:32 Sep 23, 2020

Finisheddddd Did a "big" on your scale. (This one that I found when I was upvoting- mini=20-30 points, minor=30-50 points, big=50-100 points, major=100-200 points, and HUGE=200+ karma points!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
03:07 Sep 17, 2020

Awww! Thanks!!

Reply

21:18 Sep 22, 2020

Hey, upvote spree for upvote spree? (I mean, upvote Aerin, not this account, lol)

Reply

04:40 Sep 23, 2020

I'll upvote ya! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
08:50 Sep 15, 2020

Hey Aerin I'm going to buy Color Quest but just had a quick question- did you make the cover... with a picture from Google? PLEASE HIRE ME TO MAKE YOUR COVER, I DON'T NEED MONEY, I JUST NEED PEOPLE TO READ COLOR QUEST Oh I really didn't think this through but please? I don't even need to email you , I can give you a Google Drive link. Edit- here! https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-jvFwkYhGt4ug3s2_ExO_pY2Bl8rFJr/view?usp=sharing

Reply

11:49 Sep 15, 2020

Okay, well, okay, well, WOW. Lot to say here. First of all, thanksssss! Second of all, THANKSSSSSS FOR THE OFFFFER! And that cover looks really cool! But sadly, I can’t. Literally can’t. When making covers, I need to use this tool Cover Creater provides. They make me put certain stuff here and text there and a picture there and an already-made cover just doesn’t work, 😖😖😖. Like, in my new quiz, I put a pic of what I wanted Color Quest’s cover to be...and it looked awesome...but I couldn’t use it. Sorrrrrry! But thank you!!

Reply

<inactive> .
12:21 Sep 15, 2020

Awww that's too bad, what if you put it as a background pic and removed the text on the front? If you ever need me to illustrate anything or design anything I'm here/ Also, is it okay if I draw you? I mean I won't upload it on YouTube, just drawing. I could show it to you through google drive! I just wanted to ask because some people get offended when I draw them because it's totally not what they expected.

Reply

12:36 Sep 15, 2020

Ooooh, I’d love for you to draw me!! Just a couple traits ti get you sorta on the right track: gold-brown hair, blue eyes, pale skin with a loooot of soft freckles. Wow, that way I described myself makes me seem like a completely different person, although that IS what I look like...I dunno.

Reply

<inactive> .
04:20 Sep 16, 2020

Oh cool! You can expect at least three rainbows :) Thanks for the description! I was going to make you blonde anyway hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
12:23 Sep 15, 2020

This is my art style in a nutshell- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DGdyxmqxU (please sub if you feel like it)(because that's my channel)(and you don't have to)(also i go by a fake name)(just preparing you)(also i'm so proud that you published a book)

Reply

12:45 Sep 15, 2020

Wow, that’s really cool! I don’t have a YouTube account, sadly, so I can’t subscribe, but I watched a couple videos and they were great :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
12:56 Sep 15, 2020

YOU DRAW SO WELL AND CUTEEEE

Reply

<inactive> .
08:12 Sep 16, 2020

Amany what happened to your account??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

your art style is soooo cute! i subbed :) (also, my youtube is my Reedsy name) (aka my pseudonym)

Reply

<inactive> .
04:18 Sep 16, 2020

Aww, thanks so much everyone! Also who is downvoting y'all?? I upvoted you guys from 0...

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
12:26 Sep 15, 2020

WRONG SPELLING OF 'CREATOR' AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Also I'm a pirate too now My pirate name is Cherry Bomb

Reply

12:37 Sep 15, 2020

AHHHHHHHHHH Yes I saw, noice! I’m Grizzled Rainbow :D

Reply

<inactive> .
04:18 Sep 16, 2020

Yep! Now we're all pirate buddies!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
08:51 Sep 15, 2020

Naturally, I tried to put in as many colors as possible. I also tried to make it look funky, like your characters!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Zilla Babbitt
15:25 Oct 31, 2020

Girl WHEN are you going to write a new story?!

Reply

16:11 Oct 31, 2020

Well I mean...I’ve BEEN writing stories, then ditching them before I finished...BUT I. WILL. POST. THIS. WEEK. I’m 700 words into a 2k-word story, anyways. I’d better finish. Lol. Thanks for dropping by :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:17 Nov 03, 2020

Okay! Okay! I WROTR A NEW STORYYYYY! Yay, after SO long, lol. Here you are posting a story every two days, and I just posted after two months! Lol. Mind checking my new story out?

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
00:52 Nov 04, 2020

Oh my word, finally. Yes, yes, I will. Be there soon! :)

Reply

00:52 Nov 04, 2020

Hehe, thank youuuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
B. W.
15:49 Sep 15, 2020

I'll be getting CQ real soon ^^ i haven't read it yet but i do know that it'll be really amazing

Reply

15:54 Sep 15, 2020

Yaaaay, thankssss!

Reply

B. W.
18:35 Sep 15, 2020

Also, Go check out "Universe" and tell me what you think ^^ its kinda like a preview thing

Reply

11:29 Sep 16, 2020

I did...and replied with my new identity 😉

Reply

B. W.
12:43 Sep 16, 2020

what?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
16:02 Sep 15, 2020

has anyone else gotten the book yet?

Reply

16:11 Sep 15, 2020

Hmm, yeah. Skylar just finished it and somebody in India bought it...Deepshikha? It might’ve been one of my Reedsy friends, OR somebody on Amazon. Idk.

Reply

B. W.
16:15 Sep 15, 2020

hey- i'm still doing my story as well but i kind of thought of something, if i do ever publish it what if i kinda mention you in it like a nod? if your fine with that, i'd probably have a character by the name 'rainbow' at least be mentioned :) since thats your nickname

Reply

16:39 Sep 15, 2020

Ooooh I’d love that, thanks!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
03:26 Sep 16, 2020

I bought it !!

Reply

11:29 Sep 16, 2020

Yippee! Hope ya like it!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Skyler Grey
14:58 Sep 15, 2020

Finished CQ. It was so good! when can i expect the 2nd one?

Reply

15:22 Sep 15, 2020

Wow, thanks! Did you know you’re the first person besides me and my editor EVER to read ur? My family hasn’t even read it, lol. So glad you enjoyed it! Umm, I’m hoping to have book 2 out in December. It’ll probably take a month to finish it and a bit to edit. Did you have a fav character of CQ? Mine is Isla and Sarah Freeman’s is Celeste and Abcde.

Reply

Skyler Grey
15:35 Sep 15, 2020

Oh, boy. Lets see... My favorite semi-magical is Isla or Abcde. My favorite creature is definitely the Ylobs or the werewolves. My favorite god is Aaron and Rob, cause I love that they're gay. And overall, I really like Khita the rabbit. So do with that what you will.

Reply

16:15 Sep 15, 2020

Hduwuaudheiwmdkfhh it is SOOOO weird and SOOOO awesome actually discussing CQ with someone either than Sarah...this I seriously blowing my mind and making me so happy at the same time. Shdierniestenrfiert ARKLEFLARFLE! Responses: 1. :D 2. I LOVE DA YLOBS! Pretty much the thing I’m most proud of in CQ is the ylobs and Donaldo (he plays a bigger role later on). Glad you liked em :D 3. I find Rob kinda annoying at times and I like Aaron...and I couldn’t resist naming the literature god after me, lol. I’m in full support of LQBTQ+, so I li...

Reply

Skyler Grey
16:17 Sep 15, 2020

glad to be of service :D. Arkleflarfle indeed. 1. XD (cringe) 2. Yessss the olookomowalawi or whatever it is, i love it! Also YESSS CHICKENS. 3. Rob is extreeeeeemely annoying, but i mean so is Parker, and i do love parker. Also speaking of annoying ppl- Reese. I need to know what happens with him & Celeste!

Reply

16:28 Sep 15, 2020

Hehe 3. YESSSSSS OMG YESSSSS!!! Ahem, ahem. See, Sarah HATES Parker. You know that cliffhanger when Parker’s supposedly dead? Her editing notes were like “YESSSSS! KEEP HIM DEAD!” It’s funny. She wants me to get rid of him. Anyways, I’m sooooo glad you think he’s annoying BUT love him. *Virtual hug* Urm....well...Celeste obs doesn’t have a crush on him anymore, but it’s still super awkward...she hates him the most...actually, Isla hates Reese the most. Nah, they BOTH hate him the most. Cheers. Okay, moment of truth (seriously, tho, h...

Reply

Show 1 reply
16:29 Sep 15, 2020

Nope, nevermind, still no reviews. YEEEEEET

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Skyler Grey
15:38 Sep 15, 2020

Also, a few questions (sorry). 1. How does one self-publish on Amazon? 2. How does one find an editor? 3. How much does one make of the total price of the book? It's $3 on Amazon, so do you get like 50 percent of that, or what? 4. How does one actually write a book like that? And how long does it take? How much do you write every day? Okay, that was a loooooot of questions. Sorry.

Reply

16:20 Sep 15, 2020

Seriously, don’t be sorry. I get sooo many comments full of questions, so don’t worry! Lol. 1. Look up “KDP” and explore the website. It’s really awesome: free and easy and you make royalties. So yeah...idk how to answer, but you pretty much write the book, edit, upload the manuscript, then make the cover and fill in details like price and blurb. 2. You mean a professional or AN EDITOR? Because everyone thinks you need a thousand-dollar editor...nope. My editor is my friend Sarah! Sarah and I have been editing for months, so I’ve got to ...

Reply

Skyler Grey
16:28 Sep 15, 2020

1. That's awesome. Right now I have a shildren's picture book out about my dead cat (that sounded weird) and am working on the millionth draft of my novel, Wooden Village. 2. Cool! I've got a friend, Malia, who's an awesome editor. 3. That's awesome! Wow, I might actually be able to make money out of my piece of crap with a few touch-ups. 4. I started Wooden Village in 2019, abandoned it, then picked it back up halfway through quarantine and rewrote the whole thing. Now there are around 5 chapters and 6 "half chapters" which are in real...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:06 Sep 15, 2020

So the judges are just kind of GUESSING your age and won't let the stories be shown in the thing anymore? what the heck is even going on lately with them and the other stuff? like theres probably a lot of people on here that are below 18 and they're not gonna approve their story? why??

Reply

13:20 Sep 15, 2020

Exactly! There are quite a few people that have told me their ages in private, by quizzes, and the judges will never know their age. It’s kinda unfair. Besides, they have no way of knowing my age or your age. Are they just guessing I’m under 18? Because I classify 18-20 as ‘young’ as well...

Reply

B. W.
13:25 Sep 15, 2020

Isn't there maybe a way to talk to the judges about that? maybe we could fix what they're all doing or something?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
17:51 Sep 14, 2020

I made anotha quiz thing if you want: https://forms.gle/8steEBeK6qeBtjCL6

Reply

18:33 Sep 14, 2020

Noice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
05:14 Sep 12, 2020

hey, Aerin, did your quiz but ah, didn't realize the last question was relevant to the actual list so it may not make a whole of sense? Sorry. Anyway, onto the story part of things! It is so cool to see how you've taken all the comments and feedback into practice because if you read your first story and then this one, the difference is astronomical and that's fantastic. Big writerly virtual six feet away hugs from me, Aerin, and we're so proud you came to Reedsy first, honestly. That being said, my friend, you can always improve so without...

Reply

12:35 Sep 12, 2020

Ahhhhhhhh okay! *nods although she has no idea what quiz her friend is talking about. But she checks all quizzes every morning, so she’ll figure out. But now she is talking in third person. Moving on.* Thank you!!!!! Actually, as I said in comment, this one is one of my least favorite stories...lol, I just didn’t like it much. But glad you enjoyed it! SOCIAL DISTANCE HUUUUG! Thank you so much!! You too! Yup, lol, I can always improoooooove! Okay, thanks for all the feedback! I’ll make sure to work on that! Bye!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:50 Sep 30, 2020

I'm almost done with a novel :)

Reply

21:15 Sep 30, 2020

Really? Cool! How many words is it?

Reply

B. W.
21:17 Sep 30, 2020

Yep ^^ well on the book editor thing i'm on chapter 17 and i have about 17,919 words on it. Though sadly it's the one i'm making for fun and i'm not entirely sure if i'll publish it though. i could maybe put something like it on here for a short story ^^

Reply

Amany Sayed
01:21 Oct 01, 2020

BW!!! I'm so proud of you! That's awesomeeeeeee good jooooooooob! You gotta tell me tips on how to stay so consistent lol. Seriously though, that's pretty cooool :)

Reply

B. W.
01:26 Oct 01, 2020

aww thanks ^^ well i dunno on how to give ya some tips tbh, i just finish doing some work (school work) and then i just start working on the story and then once i finish it i'll work on the other ones. i don't have anything else to do tbh.

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:31 Oct 01, 2020

Cooooool

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:13 Oct 01, 2020

Cool! You’ve got a whole novelette! Although, just sk ya know, a ‘novel’ is at least 40k words, typically more like 80k, if you wanna make it longer 😆 BUT AWESOMEEEEE

Reply

B. W.
14:07 Oct 01, 2020

Yep ^^ would you ever read it if i did publish it though?

Reply

22:17 Oct 01, 2020

Depends 😆😆😆😆😆😆 Lol probablyyyyyyyy I mean, it depends on the price and the length and if it’s, like, professional-y...idk

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:00 Oct 02, 2020

OMG WOW!! you're novel is almost done!!! You should definitely publish it!

Reply

B. W.
02:11 Oct 02, 2020

Yep ^^ woah, ya think i should?

Reply

02:19 Oct 02, 2020

Of course! You're an amazing author, and your stories are the best!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.