2 comments

Thriller Fiction Crime

Trigger warning: suicide

 

Kali Evergreen thought of herself as a god. She thought she could control everything. Karma, weather, luck, everything. Everything bending to her exact will. At least, that's what she believed. Smirking, she observed the boy who had rejected her. To say Kali was disappointed was an understatement. She was beyond offended.

 

"I mean, look at me. I'm perfect! I've got beautiful curves, a flawless face, and a sassy personality everyone must love." she thought, sighing. "Yet the one boy I like doesn't see it. What a pity." Kali grinned sadistically as she watched the boy's broken body being carried away by an ambulance to the nearest hospital.

 

How did this happen? Kali pushed him off the roof, of course.

 

But did this matter to her? Of course not!

 

Why? Well, because in her mind, she was a God, therefore, everything she did must be right.

 

In short, Kali Evergreen was a sadistic kamidere.

 

Jack Rondoune was a world-renowned jackass. He loved to push everyone's buttons to the fullest. Jack went to Jonathan West-Ferlury University. Everyone there was already used to his antics and avoided him like the plague. However, that didn't stop Jack from smirking and sneering at them, occasionally throwing out a few snide comments.

 

Why he acted like this, no one knew. Nonetheless, they all knew one thing. Jack was definitely one of the most hated delinquents in the school.

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Kali sat on a chair inside a small quaint cafe, sipping a cup of black coffee with one sugar. Enjoying the bitter taste on her tongue, she was about to put the cup down when someone's foot hit her chair, making her spill the hot drink onto her light blue jeans and a bit onto her plaid red shirt.

 

Kali was shocked, to say the least. She hadn't wanted this to happen; so why did it still happen? She was a God, she was in control of everything! After the shock, it was fury. Rage coursed through her veins. Who dared deny her will-?!

 

She spun around, coming face to face with stormy blue eyes and dark blonde hair. For a moment, her anger subsided and was replaced with a light flustered feeling. But all that disappeared and her rage came crashing back in waves upon seeing the smirk that splayed across his features.

 

"You did this on purpose!" she snapped, fury clear in her ruby red eyes. Her raven black hair swung behind her shoulder as she stood up, spinning to face him.

 

"Oh yeah? So what if I did?" he mocked back.

 

Kali clenched her fists, her dark magenta nails digging into her palms. Glaring at the cocky boy once more, she grabbed her backpack, swung it over her shoulder, hitting the boy's elbow in process. Storming out the door, Kali cursed the boy.

 

"I will remember you..." she gave a callous smile. Then her smile faded and she sighed.

 

But first, new school. After pushing the boy off the roof, some students had been giving her a few suspicious looks. Kali decided it was for the best to transfer to another school. Not that she was afraid or anything. Why would she, a God, be scared of some puny policemen?

 

She unlocked her phone to check the name of the school again.

 

Jonathan West-Ferlury University.

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Jack leaned back in his chair. He rubbed his elbow, which still slightly hurt from the girl's backpack. Ah, yes, the girl from the cafe. Jack sniggered. It was funny how fast she got riled up.

 

"Okay, class, please pay attention. Tomorrow we will be getting a new student. And coming here this late in the term, they will have quite a lot of catching up they will need to do. So I hope everyone can help them if needed and treat them with respe... Jack! Are you paying attention?"

 

Jack dramatically rolled his eyes, leaning his chair against the wall and putting his feet up on his desk.

 

"Yeah, yeah, new student blah blah, respect blah blah, my class is so boring, yada yada yada." he imitated the teacher.

 

A few students giggled.

 

The teacher gave a tight closed mouth smile. He's given up on stopping Jack. Besides, for some miracle, Jack was the class's top student.

 

"Well. And since Jack seems so excited to have our new student, he will be in charge of all their needs."

 

Jack choked on his spit and nearly fell off his chair.

 

"What?! You can't-"

 

However, before Jack would finish protesting, the teacher turned back to the whiteboard and started the lesson.

 

Jack loudly groaned.

 

Then he had a thought.

 

Smirking, he settled back in his seat. He began planning out his scheme, pleased with himself.

 

Jack was going to make the new student's life a living hell.

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Kali climbed up the last few steps of stairs and stood in front of the door of her new classroom. Glancing at her black watch, she sighed and entered.

 

Twenty-four pairs of eyes turned towards her. Kali cooly stared back at them until her gaze locked with a familiar pair of stormy blue eyes.

 

She felt her breathe slightly hitch. Irritation and annoyance blazed through her chest. Before she could act, an older male, which Kali assumed was the teacher, clapped his hands, gathering the attention of the class once again.

 

"Okay, class, as said yesterday, today we will get a new student. Would you like to come up and introduce yourself?" the teacher kindly smiled and gestured for her to come up to the front of the class.

 

Kali simpered, and confidently strolled up to the front, eyes never leaving the pair of navy hues.

 

Leaning her hip against the teacher's desk, she crossed her arms.

Staring at her new classmates disdainfully, Kali flipped her hair behind her shoulder.

 

"My name is Kali Evergreen. I am 19 years old, and my birthday is August 1st. I like being in charge and the color red. I hate the color pink and people who don't know their place. My GPA is a 3.8." She smugly smiled at the blonde boy in the back left corner.

 

The teacher awkwardly clapped his hands again.

 

"Wow, okay, that's quite impressive. Now, during your time adjusting to this school, Jack will be your guide and help you with everything you need. Jack Rondoune, can you please stand up?" the teacher requested.

 

"No." The boy who had kicked her chair, who she supposed was Jack, crossed his arms and leaned back into his chair.

 

The teacher was irked.

 

"Jack if you don't- *sigh*. Kali, I won't you don't mind sitting in the seat next to Jack. That is the only seat currently available."

 

Kali walked off without a reply, tossing her bag to the floor, and collapsed into her seat. Propping her stiletto lace-up ankle boots onto her desk, she pulled out and unwrapped a cherry lollipop, placing it inside her strawberry glossed lips.

 

Seeing everyone stare at her, she raised an eyebrow.

 

"Is there a problem?"

 

"N-no." The teacher sputtered out, shock evident on his face.

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Jack was stupefied that the new student, Kali, was the girl from the cafe. What surprised him more was the way she acted. All bossy and commanding, she was arrogant and basically demanded to be given special treatment.

 

Currently, it was lunch, and like always, he got a whole table to himself. What he hadn't expected was for someone to slam their tray down on the same table as him. He looked up, meeting a pair of crimson eyes. Kali snarled down at him.

 

"Don't think I want to sit here. All the other tables are full."

 

Jack glanced around the cafeteria to see that all the other tables were, in fact, full. There were even some students who were sitting on the tables and the floor.

 

A slight feeling stirred inside Jack.

 

"Seems like everyone would rather sit anywhere else but with me, huh." he thought.

 

However, he quickly pushed the feeling away again, turning to smirk at Kali, who was sitting across from him.

 

She looked up and snapped at him.

 

"What do you want?"

 

"Nothing," he replied, looking down at her tray.

 

Today's lunch was made up of dry and oily fried noodles, a bowl of slightly soggy peas, a slice of strawberry cheesecake, and a glass of cold milk. Kali completely ignored the bowl of green peas, took a few mouthfuls of noodles, then moved onto the cheesecake.

 

Jack resisted the urge to chuckle at her antics.

 

"If you're not going to eat the peas, give them to me." Jack stretched out his hand.

 

Kali glared up at him.

 

"And why would I do that?"

 

Jack held out his own slice of cheesecake. Kali's eyes widened, then narrowed. Shoving the peas towards him, she snatched the plate from him.

 

"You're weird," she stated as she downed her milk and devoured the slices of cake.

 

Jack rolled his eyes and gave a slight sneer, sticking his tongue out at her. His lips lifted up into a tiny amused smile, but he hid it by shoving a spoonful of wet peas into his mouth

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Everyone called it a miracle. Over the short span of a few weeks, Kali and Jack had become friends. Well, not necessarily friends, since they still goad and throw insults at each other, but they had become inseparable.

 

Jack placed his tray across from Kali.

 

"Who said you could sit here, huh?" she looked up from peeling her orange.

 

"Well, I don't remember having to ask you about everything I do,"

Jack gave a sly smile, as Kali gave an annoyed huff, but there was a hint of a grin on her face.

 

Suddenly, there were sharp footsteps approaching them. They turned to see a brunette storming up to them.

 

Without even saying anything, she grabbed a cup of iced water and dumped its contents over Jack's head.

 

Gasps echoed throughout the room and a heavy silence spread over the students, who many had their hands over their mouth.

 

Kali was shocked, seeing Jack's dripping hair and then looking back at the girl who slammed the cup down on the table.

 

"You're an asshole," the girl hissed at Jack, bending over to look him in the eye. As she straightened, the girl gave Kali a dirty look then marched away again.

 

Hushed whispers erupted from the crowd and chatter and rumors spread like a wildfire. Kali felt tendrils of unimaginable angry build up and unfurl throughout her entire body.

 

"How dare she look at me like that?! Who gave her the audacity?! Why would she do that to Jack?! Who the f**k does she think she is?! Who even is she?" Kali balled her hand into fists, glaring daggers at the back of the brunette's head.

 

"That's my ex," Jack softly explained, as if reading her mind.

 

Kali blinked.

 

"We broke up a few months ago. I guess she finally found out about the few hundred dollars I... 'borrowed' from her bank account after she dumped me." Jack grinned mischievously, but his eyes only spoke sorrow and insecurity.

 

"Ex, huh?" Kali thought. "Former lover or not, you can't just treat us like that."

 

"I will make you pay."

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Jack ran his fingers through his wet hair. He had managed to mostly dry it with the paper towels he found in the bathroom, though it was still damp.

 

Staring at his reflection in the smudged mirror, he sighed. His long-sleeved navy t-shirt that hung snugly around his body was dampened as well. Jack practiced one of his signature smirks in the mirror. Shaking his head, he turned around and exited the restroom. He had learned that it was easier to hurt people before they hurt you.

 

His mother had died giving birth to him. At the age of five, his birthday present was seeing his father commit suicide right before his eyes, hanging himself because he was not able to live without his beloved wife any longer. Soon he was moved into a small, dirty orphanage. There he lived for eleven years without being adopted, before he turned 16 and was thrown out again.

 

During those eleven years, he had been beaten, as the owner of the orphanage was an alcoholic, and been bullied at school because he was scrawny and weak, not being able to defend himself. He's been thrown into the dumpster, almost drowned in the toilet, and kicked around until waterfalls of blood poured down out of his nose, arms and legs. The teachers there didn't care; they never did. They couldn't be more disinterested in what was happening to the students, they were only there for the money.

 

After being kicked out of the orphanage, he was prepared. Ready to face the real world head-on. He got a part-time job, studied hard, and kept everyone at a distance by taunting them. Until last year, he had always been alone. Then, Monica came.

 

Monica was the decent-looking brunette, who didn't mind Jack's harsh comments. They got together a little over two months of knowing each other, stayed together for five months, then broke up when Jack found her draped over and heavily making out with one of his schoolmates. Cursing himself for trusting another person again, he robbed her bank account, cashing out around $300. Jack couldn't remember. His eyes had been teary and his vision was blurred when he punched in random digits. Jack didn't even use the money, he just tossed it to a homeless mother, who was lying on the ground hugging her young infant.

 

A few months later, Kali appeared. For some strange reason, Jack wanted to get to know her better. After spending some time together, he realized he actually admired her personality.

 

Walking out the back door of the school, Jack passed a dark alley with a dead end. Quickly glancing in, he walked on. Then stopped. Then back-tracked. And looked in the alley again. His eyes widened.

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Kali stood over the brunette's lifeless body. The girl who had sent her a dirty look. The girl who had dumped iced water over Jack's head. The girl who was now dead.

 

Kali smiled with satisfaction. She had learned the girl's name was Monica Vera-James.

 

"Well, Monica, I hope you remember in your next life not to mess with a God again, okay?" she sneered down at the girl.

 

Monica's blank eyes stared up at Kali, her last expression one of terror and pain. Kali licked her lips sadistically. Moving her knife down to make one last mark on the girl's neck, she froze.

 

Looking up, she saw Jack ambling towards her. However, before both of them could speak, police sirens wailed in the distance.

 

Both stopped moving. The sirens were getting louder, nearer.

 

Kali's heart skipped a beat.

 

"B-but h-h-how...?" Kali dropped the knife, stumbling towards Jack, who looked equally as confused and scared. Kali lifted her head upwards. That's when she saw it.

 

It was the window to the teacher's lounge. And peering down on them with fright evident in his eyes, was their teacher.

 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

 

Jack was shocked. Beyond shocked, in fact. However, strangely, he didn't feel afraid of Kali.

 

He began walking towards her when the sirens started.

 

After glaring up at his teacher, he grabbed Kali's hand and pulled her out of the alley.

 

Kali, still stunned, didn't do anything to oppose nor say anything.

 

Silent, she let Jack lead her through a hole in the fence around the school. Breaking into a run, she gasped as they continued through some bushes.

 

They ran through the wilderness for what seemed like an eternity. Soon, the ground became soggy.

 

"Where are we going?" Kali gasped out.

 

"A tunnel near the sewers. If we can get through that tunnel, we're most likely safe. After that, I know a place where we can stay."

 

Despite all this, Kali felt herself smile. Many it was because of the rush, and her brain hadn't had time to process anything right.

 

However, she knew that over the past few weeks, Kali wouldn't mind spending the rest of her life with Jack.

 

So together, they ducked into the tunnel, hand in hand, darkness swallowing them.

 

Jack Rondoune was a jackass, and Kali Evergreen believed she was a God. Against all the odds, they had accepted each other, befriended each other, and would stay together forever, not even death doing them apart.

 

August 29, 2020 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:38 Sep 02, 2020

THIS WAS AWESOME! Really, REALLY creative. I love how it’s told in different segments of 3rd person Limited...and, WOW. The end really summed it up: Jack and Kali, too people who aren’t perfect and have distinct personalities, really go together!!! I loved this plot, it’s, again, really creative...and there were a lot of ‘ooooh!” moments. Awesome job, 10/10! Keep writing! ~Aerin P. S. I just posted a new story! Would you mind checking it out? Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
03:02 Sep 04, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.