The Unexpected Mishaps of Using Libraries

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Write about someone going to extreme lengths to return an overdue library book.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny Holiday

Monday, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

One month passed since Alex returned home from his amazing trip to London when he finally unpacked all the souvenirs. It was his promise to himself not to look at them immediately after the arrival. This way he could enjoy the big city once more, from another perspective.

He took out of the bag a funny kettle in the shape of Big Ben, a key ring with a London bus, some art supplies, and a stack of books. He was most excited to finally start reading the books. Camden Town was definitely his new favourite shopping place.

He was looking through the books carefully laid on his bed when his face has suddenly gone ghost white. Among the other new and shiny books stood a small and ancient-looking one. It was the book that Alex had borrowed from the British Library. The one he had completely forgotten about!

For a moment, he started to panic. It was definitely past time to return it, he thought. But then, it was his responsibility to give it back, no matter how or when.

Alex looked at the calendar hung above his desk. The university year would start in exactly one week, and then he would never get another chance of returning the book until the next holiday. He weighed his options for a couple of minutes, and then went straight for his laptop. Google, incognito mode, and then his usual page for booking flights.

By a miracle, he managed to book a flight to London at 12:30 that very day. He looked at the clock: it was already half-past ten in the morning. He packed hastily some clothes, the book in question, and his passport.

Picking up his backpack, Alex emerged in the hallway, explained briefly the situation to his mother who, as he expected, threw a slipper at him, then took the car keys and got out. With a last glance at his house, he got in the car and turned the key.

What an unexpected trip, he said to himself.

And what an unpredictable week was waiting for him. Only if he knew… or only if he’d just thought to send the book back through the post!

Sarajevo International Airport

Alex slammed the car door frantically, incredulous of his bad luck. He was stuck in traffic for over 30 minutes, because of a stupid protest in the city centre, and he was now late for his flight. He ran to the airport and nearly arrived at the security check when he realised he had forgotten his pack in the car.

Sprinting back to the car, he heard some security guards laughing, but he didn’t get time to think about this. He pressed the car key button to unlock the car, but when he grabbed the door handle, it didn’t open. And then he realised why. Pressing the button again with a sigh, he opened the door, threw the pack over his right shoulder and made sure that this time he locked the car when he left.

He managed to pass quickly through the security and passport checks, but when he arrived at the gate, there was nobody there. Looking out the window, he saw the plane already backing away from the gate. He was too late!

He walked gloomily back to his car. He sat in the driver’s seat in silence for some time, thinking about what should he do now. He was helplessly stubborn when it came to solving problems like this one, especially when it was his fault for their appearance.

A fresh idea sparkled in his brain. He will drive there. Yes, that’s what he should do. It would take somewhat longer, but he could get to London and back in time for when the university starts.

Alex turned on the car, leaving the parking lot with a new prospect for solving this situation.

Gradiška, border point with Croatia

“I’m telling you, there’s no other reason for my trip outside the country! I need to get this book back where it belongs. It’s not like I stole it or anything, I just forgot to return it in time,” Alex said for what felt like the millionth time to the border officer.

“How could that be, though? You want to cross the border with only some clothes and a damn old book. You don’t even have a toothbrush with you.” said the border policeman.

“Really? This is your argument for keeping me here this long?” said Alex incredulously.

“I’ve never seen anyone this unprepared in my entire life. I’m trained to believe there’s something funny going on here.” said the policeman shrugging. “Since this is all you have with you, and it is indeed a weird thing to have, I believe we have to confiscate the book. Why would a young man like you be interested in women corsetry of the 17th century, anyway?”

Alex’s head fell on the wheel with a loud thump. “Because I am researching for my book, that’s why. I am a writer and that’s what I do, I research the weirdest pieces of information and put them together in a cohesive form. Books are made out of other books. Have you ever heard about this saying?” said Alex irritated.

The police officer eyed him suspiciously, took the book and left to talk to a colleague. Alex stared out of the front window, trying to think about the whole situation, but it seemed like all of his thoughts have deserted him. Has his mother know about all the things he forgot to take with him, she would have probably thrown the second slipper at him too.

After another 20 long minutes, the officer came back.

“We searched your name on the Internet to see if you really are what you’re saying,” he said with no preamble. “I must say, you’re actually funny. Here, take your book back. And be more careful with your due dates.”

Alex only nodded, then crossed the border, his mood improving only at the thought that he was now in the European Union so he wouldn’t lose time like this again. He could only hope…

Tuesday, Munich, Germany

It was past midnight when Alex arrived in Munich, and he was too tired to drive more that day. After he pulled up in a parking lot and stopped the car engine, he let his head fall onto the back of the chair, thinking that he should rest for a bit before he figured out his next step.

But the next thing he remembered, he was on a stretcher outside of his car, the sun high above his head. A paramedic and a police officer were next to him and talking to each other in low voices.

He tried to get up, but the paramedic stopped him short. “You should not move, sir. It may complicate your condition. Though, if you are awake now, it’s a good sign that you will recover soon.”

“What are you talking about? My condition?” Alex felt dizzy. He was starting to remember what happened, where he was and why. “I doubt I have anything else but sleep deprivation. I had a pretty complicated day yesterday, that’s all.”

“Well, if that’s the case, then you definitely can’t drive more today. It would be too dangerous for yourself and for the other traffic participants.” intervened the officer. “When I found you here, sir, you looked like you haven’t slept in a week. At first, I thought you were drunk, but we made all the necessary tests and nothing was wrong.”

Alex looked back at his car, searching for any sign of damage resulting from his removal from the driver’s seat. But there was nothing at all. He was confused.

“How did you get me out of the car?” he asked.

“It wasn’t locked, sir. I believe you fell asleep before you had any chance of locking the car up.”

“Again?” Alex asked himself in a low voice.

“Again, what? Were you pulled out of a car before?” inquired the policeman.

“Not really. But I did leave my car unlocked before,” said Alex mildly irritated.

He heard the policeman trying to stop a giggle, then saw him get back in his role, his face becoming suddenly serious again. “As I said, you can’t drive right away. If you really need to get somewhere quickly, you can just take the train.”

After he parked his car where the officer pointed to him, so he wouldn’t trouble anyone else, Alex walked towards Munich Central Train Station. He found the ticket office and bought one for Frankfurt - he would get another train from there to Brussels, then the Eurostar straight to London.

He went for the 9th platform, got on the train and waited for it to set in motion.

A quarter of an hour later, the ticket controller arrived. Alex gave him his one, but the controller only raised his eyebrows. “Your ticket is for Frankfurt, sir. This train heads straight north. We’re getting closer to Ingolstadt now.”

Alex was completely stunned. He took back his ticket, looking at it in disbelief, then saw on it that the Frankfurt train was to leave from the 6th platform. It seemed like the controller saw that detail at the same time, because he pointed out, “This train left from the 9th platform. Maybe you just confused the numbers. You can get off this train in Nürnberg, then head east to Frankfurt.”

Brussels, Belgium

People were already going out for dinner or an evening stroll when Alex finally arrived in Brussels. But the Eurostar train was leaving for London at 2 p.m. every day, so he didn’t have anything else to do but wait until the next day. He could never have thought that this was how he was going to visit Brussels for the first time, but in the end, that was the big miracle of life. You can never know what’s waiting for you on the way, but it it best to let it flow as it is.

Wednesday, London, United Kingdom

Alex couldn’t be more relieved when the British sky appeared at his window, after what felt like infinite time crossing the underwater tunnel. Soon, he would finally be in London, achieving what he came for in the first place. He opened the problematic book and read from it until the train arrived at St. Pancras International Station.

He finally set foot on British ground, marvelling at the magnificence of the station. He checked again, just to make sure: his pack, the book; his head, he added mentally. He couldn’t lose anything right now, not again, not when he was so close to finally handing the book in.

He tried to get out of the station without getting lost in its vastness. Alex remembered seeing St Pancras from the outside at his last visit to London because it was next to the British Library. Now when he found himself on Euston Road he was so happy that he ran straight for the library entrance.

But when he tried to open the door, it was closed. He looked at his watch, then again at the open times showed on the entrance. It was 16:20, and the library closed at 16:00.

At that point, he couldn’t even be worried anymore. He started laughing. All of this mess, just to arrive after the closing time.

He walked towards The Regent’s Park, and there was even a little bounce in his step. At least he reached his destination. He could wait until tomorrow morning to return the book. But for now, he needed to put his thoughts together.

He sat on a bench and admired the beautiful gardens for some time, then grabbed his phone, booked a flight back to Munich on Friday to pick up his car, then booked a room for two nights in a hostel in Camden Town.

For once, he couldn’t be more proud of himself because he just thought before doing something.

April 30, 2021 10:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.