32 comments

Creative Nonfiction Happy Contemporary

The smiling MC waits politely for the applause to die down as the silver-haired ventriloquist and his large-mouthed Goofy dummy exit stage right behind him. 


“Weren’t they just wonderful folks?” He asks, coaxing another short round of applause from the mixed audience that ranges in age from seniors to youngsters.


“Looks like all the performers brought their families out tonight,” I whisper to Andy. I take a deep breath, let out a tense sigh, and continue whispering:


“I can just picture Mom awaiting her turn behind the curtain. She’ll be a nervous wreck! You should have seen her last night as she practised her song for the hundredth time. It didn’t matter how many times I told her she was great and the audience was going to love her, I could almost hear her heart pounding.”


“Do you think she got any sleep?” 


“Well, she said she felt like a zombie this morning, and though I didn’t have the heart to say it, she looked a bit like one too. And her voice was so croaky, as if she’d been smoking all night. I know she’s worried she’ll sound hoarse or start coughing in the middle of the song or something.”


“Ssshhh…” Andy whispers. “I think he’s about to introduce her.”


“Got your i-Phone ready?” I whisper back, my tension mounting.


Watching the stage for her appearance, Andy nods, 


I check my iPhone for the umpteenth time. Yup. I’m so ready to record Mom’s stage debut in The Golden Age of Variety Show that my hands are shaking in anticipation. What the…? But, after all the years she has ferried me around from one audition or contest to another and stayed up late at night with me while I rehearsed the same song over and over, after all the years she’s sat in the audience, smiling from ear to ear, even letting out a overly loud “Whoo-hoo” when I finished my performance, and for all the tears she’s cried with me seeing my distress over my voice cracking on the “million-dollar note” everyone waits for…for all those times that she’s been the wind beneath my wings, tonight it’s my turn to give all that love and support back to her. 


This time, the audience isn’t here for me. I get to be the sidekick, staying out of the limelight. Now it’s my turn to feel nervous for her instead of the other way around. This tension inside me must be what she’s always felt for me: that tightness in the chest; the difficulty taking a deep breath. I am so scared for her, but so ready to watch her light up the stage. This time, it’s mom’s turn to shine.


I’m so caught up in worry that this goes perfectly for her…she’ll be devastated if it doesn’t…that I don’t even hear the MC say her name. And there she is, entering the stage using what’s supposed to be the saunter we practised in the living room. Only I know she is terrified of missing that very quiet starting note. Oh here she goes, right on cue. Way to go, mom! 


“Oh the shark, Babe, has such teeth dear…” she sings. 


Bobby Darin’s karaoke version of that old classic, “Mack the Knife”, comes through the theatre speakers, and silently through the fist I’m holding near my mouth as if it were a mic. I’m instinctively trying to remind her to keep her mic close to her lips. What’s become second nature for me after 20 years of performing is anything but familiar to her. Can she even see me, her sidekick, coaching her from the front row, or are the stage lights blinding her? Ah, she’s looking directly at me and raising the mic closer to her mouth. Good, Mom. Keep it there. 


I feel tears starting at the back of my eyes: I’m so proud of her for doing this. She looks so cute in her black pants and matching sleeveless jacket with a white long sleeved shirt. She insisted on long sleeves so her “flabby” arms wouldn’t show. I told her no-one would be looking at her arms because they’d be enjoying her performance too much to notice her arms. That’s the trick she always used to encourage me when I was conscious of my tummy sticking out under a slinky black sheath:


“Angie, when you sing, the audience is so caught up in your song and your beautiful voice, no-one cares two hoots about your tummy.”


Now, those insistent happy tears are starting to blur my vision as I watch her hold her little black top hat to make sure it doesn’t fall off as she moves across the stage. We practised that maneuver in the living room too because that silly hat kept sliding from her short, silky grey hair every time she turned or moved. My nerves have constricted my throat to the point I’m shallow breathing. I wipe the tears away hurriedly as Andy whispers to me:


“She’s doing great. She sounds really good.”


Gosh, even Andy’s excited for his 66-year-old mother-in-law. I love that. All of us were taken by surprise when Mom first mentioned she might audition for this “golden oldies show” as Dad calls it. He can never remember the exact name. 


“You’re kidding, Mary?” Dad had said to her. “When did you ever perform in front of an audience?”


I’d rushed to remind him before Mom regretted her decision that she sings,


“…whenever I take her out to karaoke on Saturday nights Dad! That’s when. You’ve come out with us occasionally too, remember? Have you already forgotten that great duet of “Won’t you come home, Bill Bailey” that she and I did about 6 months back? The crowd loved us!”


“Well, okay. That’s a karaoke crowd. But your Mother up on a big theatre stage by herself? She’ll be crapping herself with nerves, right Mary?”


“Wrong Dad,” I think now as I glance over at him on the other side of Andy. “Mom’s got this!” 


Dad has his Nikon camera with the big close-up lens pointed at Mom. I wonder what he’s thinking about her. Is he as proud of her at this moment as I am? Or is he too busy making sure his focus, the angles he’s choosing and the lighting are the best he can get so she can watch his video later? Can he hear how well she’s singing? Even I, who rehearsed this number with her over and over, can hardly believe how awesome her deep, slightly husky voice sounds through that microphone. 


I wipe away happy tears again. She’s getting near the end of the song, and though my heart rate is slowing down a little, I can hardly contain myself. I’m overjoyed. She has done so well. A full week of practising stage movements, vocal delivery, projection and even keeping that stupid hat in place has paid off. If she was nervous, she hid it well. Better than I did. I was nervous enough for both of us.


Oh my goodness! She’s done. The audience is clapping and cheering. Dad is on his feet shouting “Bravo!”. Andy is walking up to the stage with his iPhone trained on Mom as she takes a little bow. And shaking with excitement, I’m on my feet yelling “Woot woot” as the tears of joy I’ve been trying to hold back burst forth from a heart full of love and pride.


Just before “mama-mack-the-knife” turns to exit stage right, she looks straight at me, her now not-so-silent sidekick, and gives me the biggest grin. Smiling from ear to ear, I wink back at her, and giving her an A-ok sign, I mouth “Love you!” She blows a kiss back to me, and then she sends a last little wave to the audience, a wave that, knowing my Mom, says only one thing:


“You ain’t seen the last of me yet, folks. I’ll be back again next year!”


April 25, 2023 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Helen A Smith
06:41 May 15, 2023

Hi Viga I really loved your story. I strongly identified with as I felt exactly the same pull of emotions when my brother sang on stage. There’s an almost overwhelming sense of pride as well as anxiety on their behalf. You got that across really well here. It was a shame the dad couldn’t see how great it was initially, but he made up for it in the end. I really enjoy reading your stories and hope you continue to put them on Reedsy and not be discouraged. I was reading through some earlier comments on another thread. It can be hard when you ...

Reply

Viga Boland
15:17 May 15, 2023

Thank you so much for your kind comments and correct insight into how I am feeling about my writing these days, especially here on Reedsy, and where my insecurities spring from. Somehow I need to convince my self that if my stories appeal to, or are loved by a number of other Reedsy writers, that is reward and motivation enough to get back into writing to Reedsy prompts. It’s unfortunate that my book reviewing work requires my time. Those reviews have deadlines. So my writing must take a backseat. Likewise, it takes time to read the often, v...

Reply

Helen A Smith
16:21 May 15, 2023

Hi Viga I know what you mean. There aren’t enough hours in the day. I love reading other writer’s stories here too and I want them to read and comment on mine, but it does take a lot of work on top of my main job and sometimes something has to give. I hope at some point things ease up for both of us, though goodness knows when that will be.

Reply

Viga Boland
19:41 May 15, 2023

Boy, do I hear ‘ya 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
11:30 May 11, 2023

Heartwarming story Viga :) It's nice to be able to read something and have a smile on your face the whole time because you feel the positive emotions the main character is feeling. If writing means being able to extend emotions to your readers, positivity included, you did this one justice. Good parents give all they can to their kids, and at some point, the roles get reversed and the child is looking after the parent. There's a strong aura of appreciation here, of the parent-child relationship. You also mention the dad as he's taking pict...

Reply

Viga Boland
19:03 May 11, 2023

Thanks V.S. for taking time to read and comment. This story is very dear to me, based on personal experience. So it’s truly gratifying to have its significance appreciated by others. Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
03:35 May 09, 2023

Hi Viga! Oh my goodness! I loved that the story focused on the protagonist’s mother. I think that you did an amazing job of capturing some of the anxiety, that the support people feel for our main characters, and I loved that this story focused on providing a platform for the mother to shine in. I also really liked some of those soothing words that you incorporated into this piece: like how the mother is concerned about her looks, or how impressed our MC is of their mother. Nice work!!

Reply

Viga Boland
15:11 May 09, 2023

Thanks Amanda. I too felt this story, based on real life, was special. The role reversal especially intrigued me. Thanks for reading and for your feedback. I hope to find time in next few days to catch up with other writers’ stories. My book review deadlines all came at the same time in the past week, leaving me little time to read others’ stories, let alone write my own!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
06:30 Apr 30, 2023

Viga, The role reversal of your characters highlights the support, sacrifice, and never-ending love a mother has for her child. It is not often we get to encourage and support a parent to follow their dreams, so this was a heartwarming read from start to finish. Well done!

Reply

Viga Boland
12:49 Apr 30, 2023

Thanks so much Chris for reading this. I know not too many Reedsy writers and readers are into heartwarming stories like those I write, but they are here for when folks need a lift from the bad news that permeates the news media and for some, their everyday lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:51 Apr 29, 2023

At the end of this story, I was beaming with pride, along with the daughter. You wrote it so that I was immediately immersed in the setting. I felt like I was sitting with Mary's family, nervous for her and her hoarse throat from lack of sleep, excited for her to get out of her comfort zone...The whole story was a lesson in engaging the reader. Not only was I a reader, but a student. Well done.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:34 Apr 29, 2023

Thanks KT. Your support and encouraging words come at a time when I need both. Once again, I’m “down” re my writing efforts on Reedsy and questioning why I even bother. So hearing you really “felt” the emotion (s) I was trying to convey here really helped. I am currently studying other outlets for my efforts. I just discovered that if I got all the reads I get here on a site like Medium, I might even earn a few shekels. Can’t hurt to try it out I guess. And apparently, they also have weekly prompts. Not sure humour is popular there though....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:48 Apr 29, 2023

I'm not a big fan of heartwarming stories, but this one was written so masterfully that I found myself enjoying it immensely. What I liked most about it was the emotions surrounding the role reversal between the mother (now the entertainer) and the daughter (now the spectator). You showed us a few of the emotions but didn't overdo it. You let the readers immerse themselves in the atmosphere. You did such a masterful job of showing us that the emotions of the entertainer are COMPLETELY different from the emotions of the spectator. Great job, ...

Reply

Viga Boland
13:59 Apr 29, 2023

Thanks Delbert. You don’t know how much I appreciate your assessment on this one, especially since heart-warming stories aren’t your thing. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that is true for many of the Reedsy judges too, so haven’t entered what you consider one of my best in this week’s contest, and am unlikely to enter any in the future. I am glad that some reader/writers here do like my creative non-fiction that is based on my life’s experiences, but I think I need to find some other outlets, preferably paying ones…if there ar...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:08 Apr 29, 2023

My pleasure, Viga. But don't give up on Reedsy, even if you just enter your tales for free. My writing has improved greatly because the weekly prompts force me to think outside of my comfort zone. In essence, Reedsy has given me an avenue of growth that I can travel. I see improvement in your tales, Viga, so I would consider continuing submitting to Reedsy. You can do it for free, after all, and you'll still get feedback from others. Anyway, I really liked your tale. Very nicely written, my friend.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:45 Apr 29, 2023

Thanks Delbert. Yes, i will stick around because, as you indicate, those weekly prompts do stimulate my writer’s imagination …if indeed I have one…like nothing else has done for the past 7 years. It feels good to be writing…anything…besides book reviews again 😂

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:55 Apr 29, 2023

Great! I'm so happy about your decision, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
23:37 Apr 28, 2023

You captured this moment and conveyed that nervous-for-someone else feeling so well I was getting pre-stage butterflies myself as I read. Great work!

Reply

Viga Boland
02:13 Apr 29, 2023

Thanks R.J.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:36 Apr 28, 2023

That's a fun twist on the prompt - the star becomes the sidekick's sidekick, so that she has a turn to shine. It's very sweet, and the performance is secondary to the support - but it's nevertheless nice it worked out :) "When did you ever perform in front of an audience?" - Yeah, but when did anyone? Gotta start somewhere :) I like the nervousness here. The daughter is all too familiar with what the stage feels like, so she's in a great position to coach her mom, and to mitigate her dad's unintentional demoralization. But now she gets t...

Reply

Viga Boland
21:30 Apr 28, 2023

Thanks Michal. It’s not a blockbuster story but then, it’s not fiction either.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:28 Apr 27, 2023

Way to shine in the limelight! (For a change:)

Reply

Viga Boland
02:01 Apr 27, 2023

Thanks for reading Mary. Boy, you must spend all day on here reading everyone’s stories. I see your comments on so many pages. Reedsy writers must love you. Of course, that’s the trick to getting them all to visit you back. Smart! 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
14:41 Apr 26, 2023

Viga, yet another heartwarming story. I love how the daughter “gives back” all the support and love her parents have given her over time. Returning the favor. :) this left me with a smile on my face. :D (again…)

Reply

Viga Boland
15:04 Apr 26, 2023

Exactly the effect I hoped this story would have on others. Thanks for reading and commenting, Lilah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:19 Apr 26, 2023

Viga, nice job about the performers behind the performer. After mom and dad have supported the daughter now it's time to give back. The daughter does it lovingly and beautifully. You know daughters are always our sidekicks. I love that about mine. Such a great story. I guess we can expect a sequel then if she's coming back next year. Right?

Reply

Viga Boland
12:58 Apr 26, 2023

Well I haven’t planned that far ahead so let’s see if she hasn’t kicked the bucket by then 😂

Reply

Lily Finch
15:57 Apr 26, 2023

You crack me up! LF6

Reply

Viga Boland
16:45 Apr 26, 2023

Yeah, i’ve always been good for a laugh and not much else 😂

Reply

Lily Finch
16:59 Apr 26, 2023

Not at all. You have many talents. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:38 Apr 25, 2023

I was hoping for a Matthew sidekick story this week, but this was even better. You have nailed the secondhand performance nerves so accurately and the lovely twist being that this time, after years of it being the reverse, it’s the daughter who is the sidekick. So well done Viga, I LOVE this story. WOOT WOOT!

Reply

Viga Boland
00:28 Apr 26, 2023

Thanks Michelle. I didn’t expect to even submit this week because of busy schedule. But this one came to me when I got up at 7am this morning and I just kept writing. Sometimes these stories just come so easily, don’t they? Other times, tons of effort and nothing to show for it, right? The creator’s plight, regardless of which art form they’re into. As for Matthew and Martha, been so much drama going on in our family this week I just couldn’t find much to laugh about. Hopefully, the worst is over for now. So glad you liked this slice from...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.