0 comments

Crime Fiction Suspense

"Wait. Wait!", Jolene yelled out to her best friend, Ronald. Ronald stopped dead in his tracks but, wouldn't turn around. He couldn't bear to re-watch that scenario again. Jolene and Ronald have been friends for almost 15 years and did everything together. Well, this might just change their history.

"Ronald, please. We can't tell anyone about this at all. I'm scared just as much as you are. This was a mistake. It really was." She was drowning in her tears at this point. "Please. Don't tell anyone. I'm too young to go to jail," she said while still sobbing. Ronald put his head down and a little flame started to ignite inside of him. He turned around slowly and saw Jolene with her head in her hands. He looked down to the ground and saw the person's lifeless body. He looked around to make sure no one was around. They were in an abandoned alley during the evening. It was starting to get dark but, there was still a little amount of light left.

"Jolene. Are you freaking serious? Look at what we did. We literally sat behind these dumpsters and waited to see if someone would come walking down to mug them. Suddenly, this man was walking down and you elbowed me to jump out when he got closer. I thought it was a stupid idea to do it but, you kept pushing me. When he got closer, I jumped out and demanded him for money. Then, we got into a struggle. I didn't know he had a knife on him. He tried to stab me but, I got it away from him and stabbed him multiple times. Now, here we are with blood all over my hands and body and he's dead. This was your stupid idea! It's all your fault!!" That little flame inside of him grew into a full blown fire. He was raging in anger. He kept going. "I should have told you this was stupid. I should have just walked away from it. I should have never listened to you." Jolene stopped crying and her eyes got redder than Hell. She lunged back at him.

"My idea? My fault?!? Why didn't you stop me, huh? Why did you keep going along with it? All of this wasn't supposed to happen. We were only supposed to get his money and run, not turn it into a crime scene. You could have took off running when you saw the knife and I would have stayed behind until he left but, no. You took that knife and stabbed him. You killed him!" Then, there was silence. They both looked at each other. She was sweating and he was dripping in someone else's blood. Ronald shook his head and turned around. He couldn't bear to look at both of them anymore.

"It doesn't matter. I have to tell the authority about this. I can not live with this guilt for the rest of my life. I just can't", he said quietly but enough for her to hear him. Jolene didn't want the truth to come out. She rather lie about the whole thing.

"Listen, we can lie about this. We can say we were just walking down and saw him here. You can take his knife because it will have your fingerprints on it. You....you have to burn your clothes. We can do that. We can get out of this. We can. I'm gonna feel guilty about this as well but, we are only kids. Please don't tell the truth", she pleaded with him. She was getting ready to cry again. The silence all around them is very eerie. She started to panic a bit; she was hoping no one else sees them.

"We have to get out of here. But your clothes, I don't want you to be seen like this", she said to Ronald. He was deep in thought. However, he brushed it off. He turned around again to face her.

"I can't lie. We have to tell the truth. I can't. I'm sorry. An innocent person lost their lie because of us. I'm sorry, Jolene. Goodbye." He turned around for the last time and started to walk away. Jolene was panicking more now. She doesn't know what to do. He wasn't going to listen to her. So, there's only one thing for her to do.

"Fine. Go ahead and tell them the truth. I'm going to go and tell them a lie!" She yelled out to him. He kept walking away, unsure if he heard her or not. She just stood there like she was frozen. She looked down at the body and couldn't believe what just happened. This poor guy. She knew it was such a stupid idea but, it wasn't entirely her fault. Ronald was part of it, too. She had to do something. She grabbed the bloody knife that was on the ground and stuck it in an inside pocket of her jacket. Then, she started to walk the other way. Suddenly, she heard people talking. She had to hurry up and hide. She saw a dumpster, jumped in it and closed the lid.

"Yeah girl, I was telling Shawn the other day that-OMG there's a dead body!" It was two females walking and one of them saw the guy. They both screamed. Jolene pushed up the lid a little bit and saw them run out the way they came in.

"Oh man. This isn't good at all. I have to get out of here and fast!" She thought to herself. She took a deep breath and quickly got out. She ran a little and got to the end of the alley to a road. She looked both ways and saw no one. She took a right out of there and walked a few distance when she heard the sirens. She picked up the pace a little. To her horror, she saw the cop cars driving by with an ambulance. She saw them turn down the alley. Her heart raced. She knew what was about to happen. She knew she has to save herself and not let Ronald tell the truth. She needs a plan. And fast.

November 28, 2020 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.