0 comments

Adventure Fiction Drama

Hidden Treasure


“Canada! You can’t be serious!” I sigh, thinking about Switzerland all day and wanting to take the gondola up the mountains. Set up my folding chair and breath in the mountain air, while typing my next travelling/nature blog in the New Yorker magazine.


“Do I at least get to pick the photographer to come with me?” 


“No?”, “I’m confused, Norah is the best in the business from around here, her art gallery depicts the amazing wildlife around the world. Not to mention I love writing about nature and travel.” 


“I leave tomorrow?, are you sending me an itinerary so I can be somewhat prepared?” “Ok then, I guess we will see you in a week!” I hung up the phone and sat in my chair trying to process what my boss just said. I’m used to going on trips without much notice, in fact I always have a travel bag packed.  I love my job, and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I really had my heart set on Switzerland, I have never been on a train through the mountains  before or seen the Canadian Rockies. I might have to pack a few heavier clothes, after all it’s Canada. Tomorrow I land in Vancouver and meet the photographer from Montreal in the morning on the train seat 14 and Luke is seat 15.  Talk about an adventure, my writers block the past two weeks have come to a halt, my imagination is in overdrive. I have no worries about meeting a new photographer, I have met many in my 10 years of travel.


Looking out the window on the plane, the mountains are getting closer and closer. Thinking about how beautiful and breathtaking they are and to think Canada is our neighbour. I never really think about what North America has to offer for beauty and wildlife. I guess I  just take it for granted, most of my travels are over seas. This beauty is definitely opening my eyes, and now very excited about this adventure.


Bright and early in the morning I was up, packed my day bag with a sweatshirt, water bottle, a couple of pens and paper. I threw it over my shoulder and wheeled the suitcase behind. Wow! This train is packed with people but the cubicles make it seem spacious, lots of windows and the staff are so friendly. I decided to keep my computer and phone in my suitcase, I wanted to be present during this train ride. I sat in seat 15 because it was facing forward, I’m sure the photographer won’t mind. I Feel a tap on my shoulder and see the most handsome man I have ever seen in my life. I felt flush, and could feel my cheeks get red. 


He looked at me smiled and said, “ excuse me miss, I think your sitting in my seat” looking at his ticket. 


I said, “ I was just waiting for a photographer and was wanting to trade him seats, because I like facing  forward” 


He looked at me squinted his eyes playfully and said, “ Well miss Rebecca, I think we have a problem! I lIke facing forward to” then laughed, then sat in his new seat facing me. He reached out his hand “ nice to meet you Rebecca, I’m Luke your photographer,” I smiled, shook his hand and felt butterflies when our hands met. It kinda took me by surprise. 


He looked around and said, “Wow, I have been on a few trains in my life, but this one is so fancy, amazing actually. The mountains are beautiful. How lucky are we to have a clear day.” Taking out his camera and snapping a few pictures.


I looked out the window, “we sure are,” looking at him smiling. I had the itinerary on the table in front of me and he said, “ Oh good! I was going to grab this at the hotel and I was running a bit late. Do you mind if I take a look”. I passed the papers to him and said, “of course, we are in this together!”


“Looks like we have an all day trip to Kamloops and on the way climb the Fraser Canyon, and later pass By Hells Gate.” He looked at me, “Hells gate has some fascinating facts about how the railway was constructed, and from videos I have watched, the rushing water below is mesmerizing.”


This guy sure does his homework, I like him! I said, “I was told two days ago that I was going on this train ride through the Rockies because my boss wanted a story in the magazine I work for”.


“Cool, you like adventure and you are spontaneous,” looking at me closely nodding his head, “very hard qualities to find, this is going to be fun! Are you going on all of the adventures?” 


“ What adventures, there is more than being on the train? I haven’t had a chance to look yet!”, my heart beating fast!


“You know bungee jumping, walking on a suspension bridge over a waterfalls, scaling down one of the mountains in a small harness.” He was smiling at me.


I said, “all of it”, hoping he was being playful. 


“No, it was a test” and you passed with flying colours!“


“I didn’t realize this was a test,” looking at him with my eyebrows raised. We both laughed.


He was now studying the papers in his hands. “Today is a full day on the train and end in Kamloops and have supper in our hotel. Tomorrow we have another train ride to Jasper and arrive in the afternoon to sight see and wonder around shopping and whatever we want! The next day is a side by side motorcycle tour of the Athabaska Falls, Medicine Lake, and Maligne Canyon and cruise along the mountains! ‘Wow, that sounds cool.’ ‘Ooooo.... there is a skywalk’ over the mountain with a glass bottom, we have to try to fit that in! Wow this is incredible!!”


“Day 5 we arrive in Lake Loise, which I have heard so much about ‘It’s turquise waters are breathtaking in pictures I can wait to see it!’ Oh and it sais here for an additional cost we can take a ‘helicopter flight to see more glaciers and waterfalls.’ I hope you will join me” he said looking over the papers.


“I wouldn’t miss it for the world” I replied! “Sounds amazing!


Looking back at the paper he said “There is more, Day 6 in the afternoon we head to Banff on a transfer for more sights, a slower pace town which we get to explore”. He looked at me over the papers, and said, “ you told me you wanted to take a gondola ride up the mountains, ‘well it’s not Switzerland,‘ but they are offering it in Banff!”


“Your kidding”, I was almost jumping out of my seat!


“Would I kid you”, with a wink, “I’m with you and will take plenty of pictures while you create your magic of words!”


“Then the next day we depart in Calgary”. I was craving more, and wanted this trip to last forever!! In my dreams I may visit again with this beautiful man.


“Really? That all sounds amazing! I may need a bit of encouragement on the skywalk but it all sounds amazing. Three days a go I was picturing myself going up in a gondola in Switzerland, and was very disappointed when I heard I was coming here! I am so excited!!“ Looking out the window, the views were incredible. I couldn’t wait to go to the hotel to type in my computer of all of the notes I was taking! 


We were approaching Kamloops, and I felt myself getting excited to see all of the views and the mountains in the backdrop!


I stepped off the train and the smell of the mountain air hit me, it was so pure, the intensity of freshness and beauty. The lights, the snow tipped mountains were vibrant almost iridescent behind the vast woodlands. I stood on the top step looking outwards stopped in time. Nothing could ever prepare me for the picturesque view unfolding in front of my eyes! 


I heard clicking and snapped out of my trans. Luke was taking pictures and one of me. He outstretched his hand and said, “my lady” smiled, and helped me with my luggage. I new at that instant that I was in for an adventure of a life time with the most handsome man I have ever seen. I couldn’t wait to go up the gondola and write about this most amazing little piece of hidden treasure the world needs to see! 






April 19, 2021 03:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.