Go With Me?

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

1 comment

General

"Hey, I won't be able to come over tonight by the way." "Whatcha doin'?" "Dress shopping. I hate shopping." "What are you going dress shopping for?" "Oh, my floor got invited to some kind of spring party tomorrow night for this fashion company we did photos for." She suddenly got an idea. "Hey, I have a plus one-" "No way." "Oh please Niall!" She got down on her knees in front of him and rested her chin on his knee. "Please? For me? I really don't want to go alone. I won't know hardly anyone. Everyone on my floor is bringing someone." He couldn't resist those big puppy eyes. He grumbled, "Fine." She jumped up. "Yay! Thank you!" She wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheek. "I owe you." He laughed, "No you don't.....Does this mean I get to pick out your dress?" "In your dreams, Nia." "Oh come on!" "No way! That's the last bit of pressure I need. Besides, you goof around whenever you come with me. I want to be in and out of there as fast as possible." "Ouch!" He pretended to stab himself through the heart. "Right where it hurts." She whacked his arm, "Oh shut up." He laughed and wrapped his arms around her. "Do I have to wear a tux?" "I don't care, as long as you look nice." "Hawaiian shirt and denim shorts it is." "Niall!" He laughed, "You know I'd never do that. Maybe just a skirt." Ann smacked him again. He started tickling her. They both laughed.

******

Niall went in. "Annie? You here?" "Coming! Hey did you eat dinner yet?" "Yea. Are they gonna have food there?" "I hope so. I'm starving." Niall chuckled. He heard the click of her heels and she came around the corner. He went bright red. "Woah....." he breathed. "That bad?" she cringed. "No no no no! That......I mean.....Wow..." He had no words.

The burgundy dress was plain, no sparkles or anything, but she looked beautiful in it. "You might be helping me walk." she grumbled as she wobbled toward him in her emerald heels. He chuckled and took her hand. He kissed it and looped her arm through his. "I always have you, Love." She smiled as they walked out the door.

******

When they got there, all of the models and other fashion staff were in 'springy' themed clothes. There were flowers and streamers and lanterns and lights. "I knew I should have worn something lighter colored." Ann mumbled. "Nonsense." Niall kissed her cheek. "You look lovely." "Thanks."

They wandered around for a while, talked to people they knew. Eventually they found a food table. "Yas!" Annie quietly cheered. They both grabbed a plate and put random food on it. After eating what Annalina had, she whispered, "We've gotta go get real food after this." "Agreed." Niall said with a full mouth. She chuckled.

Later, they went out to the balcony. Niall wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and rested his chin on her head. "I love you." he whispered in her ear. She laid her head back on his chest. "Love you more."

"Can we go get food now?" She said. Niall laughed. "Yes please." They turned to leave, but a guy from Annie's work came up to them. "Oh, hey Jake." "Might I steal you for a dance?" He held his hand out. "Sure." she said hesitantly and took his hand. Niall shoved his hands in his pockets to hide his clenched fists.

They went back in and Niall leaned against the wall while they danced. He could tell they were talking, but he couldn't hear about what.

"So, how are things going with you and Niall?" "Uh, good. Everything's fine. What about you? Didn't you go on a date the other night?" "Yea, but it didn't pan out." "Oh, that's too bad." She didn't care too much for Jake, but he was also her boss's right hand man so she was trying to be polite. "You look lovely tonight, Ann." he whispered a little too close to her ear. "Th-thanks. You look pretty spiffy yourself."

He spun her and dipped her. When he brought her back up, his grip was a little too tight. "Ann, I must admit, you and Niall were a bit of a surprise." "Oh?" "Mm hm. Given the things I've heard about him and the rumors around the office." "Like what?" "Oh, just a few other girls saying he's put the moves on them. But that was before you two became official of course."

"Of course." She knew everything he was saying was bull. Niall was way too shy of a person. Granted he may have occasionally tried flirting with them, but he was so awkward around girls, he hardly left Annie's side.

"I was a little disappointed as well." "Oh really?" "Yep. I was hoping I would snatch you up first." The song ended. Thank goodness. She stepped away. "Well, I better go. I've got an early day tomorrow." "Of course. See you tomorrow." he kissed her hand, but wouldn't loosen his grip. She practically had to jerk her hand away and quickly walked back to Niall.

Niall put his arm protectively around her and ushered her out. When they got in the car, she couldn't stop shaking. Niall put a hand on her shoulder, but she flinched and looked at him wide-eyed. "Easy, Love." He took her hand and brought it to his lips. She watched him with tears in her eyes. "You're okay." he whispered, looking up at her. She nodded and rested her head on his shoulder. She took a deep breath in, taking in his smell and holding onto the feeling of his hands around hers.

"Still hungry?" he asked. "Absolutely." she chuckled. He kissed her head and let her stay there while he drove. She was so sensitive. That Jake guy really scared her. She got like this anytime he talked to her. He was an absolute creep. She was pretty quiet the rest of the evening. Niall wanted to punch the guys teeth out. But he also didn't want to risk getting Anna fired. What a way to start off her favorite season.

March 28, 2020 21:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Pragya Rathore
07:41 Jun 02, 2020

Wow! I loved this story...Great going Janie! Awesome writing!! PLease check my stories out too

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.