The Locked Door

Submitted into Contest #130 in response to: Write a story titled ‘The Locked Door.’... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Crime Horror

​​​​The Locked Door

My house is a regular house. Yep. Just a regular house with a family living in it. Nothing more to it really. Well, there is one more thing. This is the fact that ever since we moved in, a door of steel has been locked ever since we moved in. Me and my family have never found the key for it so we make up stories about it. My mom says that maybe this house is haunted. My dad says that behind the door is a magical land. But me? Well, I think that the person who owned this house before us, was a murder. I think that all their victims are behind the door. Sometimes, when I pass the door, I hear a scream. But I was about to find out that the story of this door is a lot darker than I thought it would be.

January 25, 2022

I was sitting in my room watching some Netflix when I got a notification on my phone. I picked it up and saw my best friend, Julia, texted me. 

Julia: HAIIIIII

Me: HAIIII

Julia: I figured out something really crazy about your house! It’s a big breakthrough for our case!!

Julia and I are wanting to be detectives when we are older, so we joined a club. Our homework was to find out a mystery that has been haunting you. Me and Julia are partners and we both have wondered what was behind the steel door, so we decided to figure out the past of this house.

Me: THAT’S AWESOMEEEE!!!! 

Julia: I’m coming to your house RN!

As I read this text, I realized that I was still in my pajamas. I turned my phone off and hopped out of bed and got on some clothes. I brushed my long, tangly almond brow hair. I tucked it back into a messy bun and I brush my teeth. As I taste the minty toothpaste, I hear my doorbell. I quickly finish brushing my teeth and run downstairs. Right as I unlock my front door and open it, Julia came flying in before I could even say “Hi.” I shut the door and lock it and I hear her running upstairs. I rolled my eyes and gave a little smile. 

I ran up the stairs and found Julia in my room, pacing. But she didn’t look excited. In fact, she looked quite the opposite. She looked scared and stressed. She was biting her fingernails and I see her eyes glisten, probably holding back some tears. I closed the door and she jumped. “Woah, girl calm down. What’s up?” I asked directing her to sit on my bed. We sat there in silence until she said something, “Keira, you’re in danger.” I shot up, “What do you mean I’m in danger?! I’m not in danger!!” I was freaking out and it just broke Julia. Tears streamed down her cheek, and she pulled up an article on her phone. “Just read it...” She managed to say handing me her phone. I took the phone and read the article, burying my head in the sand.

Ok, so she got the right address not so scary. I continue to read, “In the 1700’s a young girl named Keira was born.” Ok, so she has the same name as me, so what? It’s not that scary. I continue to read, “Keira means little dark one, and she certainly lived up to her name. Keira lived a dog’s life. Her mother was accused of witchcraft and was sentenced to death. Her father was never home do to work so she had to live on her own since the age of 4. She grew to be distant, and cold. She was relentless and wanted revenge for her mother. She dreamed of living in a house all alone, scaring people and murdering the judges that murdered her mother. When she was 13, her father noticed her weird behavior. He asked his daughter what was wrong, and she told him her plans to get revenge. Her father said she was sick, and he will go report her. Feeling threatened, she killed her father in cold blood. She fled from the town and moved into a house, 1666 Fire Avenue.” I see, she has my name, lived a terrible life, killed her father, and began living in a house. Coincidentally, it was my house but, so what? I continue once again, “As she continued her plans, she became to act delusional, and crazy. She managed to kill 3 judges before she was caught. She was accused of witchcraft and when they sentenced her to death, she just smirked and laughed hysterically. Because of her behavior, they decided to hang her inside a room in her very own house, so no one will be cursed by her. This plan backfired for she cursed the house. The next girl named Keira to live in this house will be doomed. She will be posed by the witches soul and will become immortal. It will be the end of the world.”

I dropped the phone in shock. I didn’t know what to do or think. Julia was just curled up in a ball sobbing. I had to stop this. I could not let this world die. I had to throw this witches plan down the drain. I had to set this house on fire.

“Julia, we are setting this house on fire. The witch is still in this house and I can’t be possessed. So, wipe your tears, and come with me.” I said sternly. Julia wiped her tear as I exited my room. There was one more thing that had to be done, but I didn’t tell her. If I told her she would say no. But I had to stop this witch. I went to the garage an got gasoline and a match.

I went outside of the house and poured gasoline around the house. Julia comes running out in tears. She was trembling with fear as I lite the match and threw it on the gasoline. Immediately, fire was blasting in a circle and in the house.

“Julia, there is one more thing we have to do.” Julia takes my hand and asks with a smile, “What?” I look at her and when she looked at my expression, and her smile vanished. “No- Keira don’t say it!” I took a deep breath. “I have to go inside the fire and die.” I said. Julia burst into tears once more and pleaded with me, “NO! Keira you can’t!! ARE YOU CRAZY?!” I wiped her tears and gave a smile. “I have to Julia it’s the only way.” 

A tear ran down my cheek as I pulled her into a hug. I pulled away and began to walk but Julia held my arm preventing me from going. “Please..” She let out. I shook her off and ran into the fire. 

The heat was intense, and I couldn’t see anything. Smoke was invading my lungs and I was a coughing mess. My eyes burned from the smoke and as I closed my eyes, I took my last breath.

I woke up with a start. I didn’t die? Where is the heat? Why am I still alive? How am I still alive? I looked around to try to see where I was. I was in a dark room with only one light source. It was straight ahead. I started walking towards the light and saw what it was. It was the steel door. The door that was in my house.

I heard a voice in my head, “Open it.” The voice was not my own. It was a voice I couldn’t identify. But I did as it said. I didn’t know why I did, but I just did. To my surprise, the door wasn’t locked. When I opened the door, my blood was tingling. Finally! I get to see what was behind the door! After all these years of wondering, I’ll finally be able to see! But I was not prepared to see what I saw. A woman, with jet black eyes and mouth, hanging from the ceiling. I began feeling nauseous. My vision began to get blurry, and the world was spinning. My head was running in circles, and I felt a breath breathing down my neck. My blood ran cold as I turned my head slowly and I saw….nothing.

I look back to the woman but, she was gone! I began panicking and I sprinted out of the room and ran in the void of nothingness I was in. Beneath my feat, the world was crumbling, and I hear demonic cackles. I tried to escape but, I couldn’t. I fell into the void, and everything went dark. 

Finally. I’m back. I said I would get revenge, didn’t I?

January 27, 2022 21:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

JING XUAN YU
01:20 Feb 10, 2022

I love it

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.