4 comments

Drama Thriller Mystery

The sirens could be heard in the distant night sky. They grew louder and louder the closer the Police cars came. The air was thick with tension and the summer heat turned the small house into a cauldron of anxiety.

Daniel stood in his dark living room. His heart was pounding out of his chest when the lights came back on. He stood frozen with a vacant stare on his face. The gun in his hand hung heavily beside him while the smell of gun powder lingered like in the air like a ghost.

Daniel was aware of the Police who had walked in the front door and were barking at him to drop his gun but he wasn’t paying attention. All he could do was stare at the blood-covered body that lay dead on the floor in front of him.

The setting sun turned the sky into a haze of pink and orange as Daniel drove down the quiet street. The young families and retirees who called the street home had turned in for the night. Daniel's heart filled with pride as he imagined the life he would live here. The backyard barbecues and family holidays he had longed for over the years were so close he could picture it vividly in his mind.

He turned into the driveway of a small cottage-like house. The sold sign was still out the front. It was a symbol of the hard work and sacrifice Daniel had made over the last few years. He carried the smile on his face up the driveway and into the front door.

“You’re home late.” Anna greeted Daniel as he walked through the door.

“I had to finish some things in the office.” Daniel tossed his keys onto the table and loosened his tie. Anna wrapped her arms around him and lovingly kissed him on the lips.

“Did you have a good day?” She asked.

“Busy.”

He looked tired. She gently rubbed his back as he took off his jacket and kicked off his shoes.

“How was your day?” he asked back.

“Good. Mrs Jacobs from next door offered to help us with the garden on the weekend. She’s so nice, I think she’s a little bit lonely. I unpacked the last of the boxes, oh, and there’s been another robbery.”

“Another one?” Daniel's voice was frustrated as he opened the fridge and took out a beer. “How many is that now?”

“The fourth on in 2 weeks. Looks like it’s the same guy, he shut off all the power in the house before sneaking in.”

“Was anyone hurt this time?”

“Luckily no one was home.”

“The Police should be doing something.” Daniel took a sip and fought the emotions that were bubbling to the surface.

“I’m sure they’re doing all they can.”

“ What if he kills someone?”

“He’s not a serial killer.” Anna tried to pacify him.

“He’s attacked people. What if he goes too far next time? What if he hits this place while you’re home?”

“Then I’ll use my kung fu on him.” Anna joked.

“I’m serious.”

“I know and it’s scary,” Anna held his hand. “But we can’t let it get to us. They’ll catch him.”

Daniel took a deep breath and finished his beer.

“I know. I’m sorry. I’m really tired.”

“How about you go take a shower. I’ll make us some dinner then we can go to bed and I can show you what else I got today.” Anna playfully started to unbutton his shirt.

“Care to give me a hint?”

“It’s a secret,” She leaned up and whispered in his ear. “Victoria’s Secret.”

Anna was asleep in minutes. Her naked body was covered in a bed sheet as her arms rested underneath her pillow. A smile was on her face like she didn’t have a care in the world.

Daniel couldn’t sleep. He lay wide awake staring up at the ceiling in the dimly lit bedroom. His mind was racing. The knot in his stomach was tightening.

“You need to get a gun.” Daniels Father sat across from him in the crowded café. Daniel nearly choked on his coffee.

“Are you serious?” He quizzed.

His Father stared at Daniel across the table. For the next several minutes he didn’t even blink as he made his point.

“This is serious. You need to protect your family and your home. It’s a man’s duty.”

“Dad, I don’t want to kill anyone.”

“it’s not about killing anyone. It’s about defending what’s yours. There’s always someone who wants what you have and if you don’t step up, they will take it.”

“I know, but a gun? I was thinking of getting some sort of security alarm.”

“That’s probably why he turns off the power.” His Father grabbed Daniels hand. “It’s not about shooting anyone. It’s about knowing that no matter who comes through your front door, you’ll be ok. You’ll feel more confident and more powerful with a gun in your drawer. I’ve had one for 20 years and I’ve never needed it, but I know I have it if I ever do.”

“I don’t even know how to use a gun.” Daniel said, taking his last sip of coffee.

“I’ll take you down to the shooting range. I’ll teach you.”

Daniel knew it made sense, but he still felt uneasy.

“I’ll think about it.”

As Daniels car approached his home, he was confronted by an unfamiliar scene. Police cars lined the street. He pulled into the driveway and looked next door. Police swarmed his neighbours' house. Police tape formed a barrier keeping gawking spectators away.

Daniel walked inside and found Anna sitting on the couch. Her eyes were red and tears streamed down her face. Her voice was meek and timid as she looked up at Daniel.

“She’s dead.”

“Who’s dead?” Daniel rushed to her side and put his arms around her.

“Mrs Jacobs. She’s dead.” Anna buried her face into his chest and cried harder.

“It’s ok,” Daniel consoled. “What happened, did she have an accident?”

“It was him. They found her this morning. The power had been shut off and was beaten to death. How could someone do this, she was a nice lady.”

Daniel hugged her tighter and stroked her hair.

“You were right,” Anna confessed. “This could’ve been us.”

“It’s ok, we’ll be alright.” Daniel took his phone out of his pocket and opened up a text message.

“Let’s get that gun.” He wrote to his father.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG.

The sound echoed across the shooting range, the smell of gun smoke filled the air. Daniel secured his gun and pressed a small button beside him. A paper target whizzed up him. He looked at the close grouping of bullet holes in the centre of the target. He gleefully held the target up to sow his Father.

“Nice shooting. You’ve come so far in three weeks.”

The smile on Daniel's face was a mile wide. He stood tall with his chest out and energy raced throughout his body.

“I was worried at first,” Daniel confessed. “But this is actually fun.”

“Your form has improved leaps and bounds.”

“Thanks, dad.”

“What are you and Anna doing tonight?”

“Anna’s going out with some friends from school. I’m just going to have a quiet one and catch up on some work.”

“ A man’s work is never done.”

Daniel smiled and shook his Fathers hand, promising to call him tomorrow.

It was about 9pm when Daniel finally switched off his computer. The night air was humid and the pedestal fan was not doing much to keep the heat at bay. He went to the fridge and opened an ice-cold beer. The liquid felt cool and refreshing in his throat as he switched in the TV and sunk into the couch.

He was halfway through an old action movie when suddenly, the power in the house went out.

“It could be just a blackout,” He thought. “The grid can’t handle it on hot nights.

But he wasn’t going to risk it. Using the light on his phone he made his way into the bedroom and opened his bedside drawer. He opened the little lockbox inside and took out his gun as he heard the front door open.

He slowly and quietly opened the bedroom door and crouched down. He saw a shadowy figure make its way from room to room. Daniel was nervous but prepared. He moved into position, pointed his gun at the shadow and slowly squeezed the trigger.

It was just before 10pm when a man dressed in black snuck onto the driveway at Daniels house. He crept around to the side of the house and found the fuse box. The lights inside were on but he carefully remained in the shadows. He carefully opened the box and surveyed the switches inside. He found the switch labelled “Main” and switched it off. The house went dark as he removed a small metal pipe from the back of his pants.

He started walking towards the front door when a car pulled up out the front. A young attractive woman got out and thanked the driver.

“Good night Anna.” The diver said before setting off again.

The man in black quickly ducked into the shadows and hid as Anna walked up to the front door and let herself in. The man waited a moment before several gunshots came from inside the house.

Lights from neighbouring houses came on. The man in black quickly stood and in a panic ran from the driveway.

“Sir, I’m placing you under arrest,” The Officer said to Daniel as he placed his hands behind his back and securely cuffed them. “You’re not obliged to say or do anything but anything you say may be used in evidence.”

Daniel stared at Anna cold lifeless body on the floor. Several bullet wounds were in a close group on her chest. Her eyes were open and blankly stared into the distance.

Police began snapping photos of her body as Daniel was led outside. The local neighbours had lined the street, staring in shock at the scene playing out in their quiet, safe little street.

He was guided into a waiting Police car which slowly drove off down the street.

“I want to call my Father.” Daniel said to the Officers in the front seat.

“You can call him when we get to the station, but if you want my advice, you should call a Lawyer.”

Daniel stared out the window into the dark and empty sky. Tears began pouring down his face as the image of Anna lying on the floor stuck firmly in his mind.

September 07, 2020 14:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Fredrick Lusimba
05:49 Sep 18, 2020

So engaging.

Reply

Rodney Owen
06:53 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
06:44 Sep 13, 2020

Sad but well written. Poor Daniel. :/

Reply

Rodney Owen
07:41 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.