Another respectable piece of my heart

Submitted into Contest #177 in response to: Write about someone who is slowly forgetting their mother tongue or losing their language.... view prompt

4 comments

Black East Asian Western

-I'm proud to say that I and my family, like all the British people for all the generations since we lost the second world war and were made to realise the folly of inequality and oppression in any form, are a proud part of the working class. Because it turns out, actually doing humble, generous work for other people and each other is what makes a people classy. We once had a reason to call ourselves great and united, and we still mostly are, even if our temporary bosses in sitting are very thick and bluffed their way through their history classes (and perhaps ignored many of the other classes too if it meant turning on that frightful thing in the brain we call open mindedness and humility). 

-Perhaps instead of barring highly skilled and culturally rich voices from joining our country's long culture of celebrating tolerance, creative cooperation, fierce progressive spunk and diversity, we should instead chuck out the unqualified manchildren and the womenchildren and in fact any gender or race of child - of which there are many unfortunately sitting around the eton dinner table, of which they have made quite a mess. 

-Diversity is to be celebrated, but it doesn't matter who you are, or where you come from if you are a twat that doesn't know how or even remotely believe in what you are doing, you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a leadership role - something many years of state funded brainwashing (not private for most - but thats not to say that there aren't open minded and fiercely rebellious kids in the private schools just as in state schools!) has already taught us all, even if the most harsh but key lesson should have already been obvious to those select specimen fools we initially hoped would be our teachers - that to blindly impose your will on those that will become and already are in many ways more creative and hopeful than yourself, - because we always do rise up eventually, no matter how much or how long we may be abused or belittled - is to make yourself the ultimate pathetic clown. 

-Our leaders don't need to be perfect. In fact they should be the opposite, because we should not have to put a burden - or blind trust - on a small number of individuals, when we all have an equal right, equal human flaws and struggles, and thus an equal responsibility and skill for leading. Leadership should be shared because otherwise how can it be leadership? Direct democracy, or a jury style rotation, or anonymous leadership, or even demolishing state government and decentralising power to local scales - both locationally and on an identity level - music can unite us, sport can unite us, nature can unite us - so we should unite under these shared passions and dreams, and let people choose from the vast and ever expanding and merging and communicating pool of ideas and cults and clubs and passionate, humble leaders that are already bursting at the seams of our cities and schools, waiting for an excuse - and getting ever more impatient. 

We don't need to tax the rich, even though they certainly deserve the kick up the arse - we shouldn't tax anyone - the word is a toxic and archaic holdover from the feudal age - people are willing and actually love paying humble, emotionally honest leaders that inspire them, because they have already been paid in mind and in kind so many times over in exchange, and it works and happens all around us, generationally, no matter how much the bastards may try to grind natural human altruism into the ground. 

Even when leaders we thought we could trust make a mistake, we should not yell them to the ground, or crucify them across the internet. If a leader was once truly altruistic, its only a matter of asking them nicely and gently to return to the roots that made them - because we all deserve no less empathy when we inevitably make our own mistakes.

But leaders that refuse to own their true colours, and refuse again and again, and swat the blame and then blame treasured but small social minorities that can't defend themselves, or blame virtuous foreign realms that threaten them with their quiet innocence and openly, proudly more altruistic and progressive orders - or worst of all, openly laugh in the face of the emotional fury and tragedy of the lesser peasantry they feel they have great monarchic, old boys' club (yes, boys indeed, certainly no women or gentlemen to be seen) rights to stamp all over, and instead revel in their own aristocratic delusional privileges - these are no leaders at all. They are not even asses (guiding lions) or monkeys (painted by a great leader in Banksy) - that would be rude to two sociable and intelligent species, of which comparing oppressive, petulant and emotionally unstable human children is certainly unjust.

But we are to blame. In the past, the peoples of brilliant, tolerant, working nations have become so angry and desperate that they have turned on one another rather than facing their fallen leaders with the forceful but peaceful justice that must accompany any actually effective rebellion. The bastards try to grind us down, but we must not grind them back into tiny pieces or rolling heads on a guillotine when we fight back- there is to be no fight, in fact. The way to win against a child who doesn't play fair is to ignore them, and play a new game with the other kids who have good parents that taught them different things - parents are good at that, like any good leader - but humility, courteousy and morality are lessons that barely need teaching at all - even those of us with bad teachers can quickly relearn if you only give us the chance.

I hope some of us might create a new britain together - better than the one before, but basically the same, minus the very lawful perverts and racists in the monarchy, the lawful rapists in the police

force-everyone-to-be-just-as-jaded-and-depressed-as-the-fools-who-are-mentally-scarred-enough-to-enter-and-not leave-immediately-

force,

the certainly not morally and monetarily corrupt government drama clowns, and any one else who I haven't mentioned that you would like to be added to the list. But, even so, the new Britain will be over the old one. A palimpsest of joy and humble rebuilding. Because we have all made different mistakes, very deep and ancient and haunting mistakes, especially as a nation, but the British gift for me has always been our quietly determined politeness and openness, eagerness even, to finding out we are wrong about things, that they are always better than they seem - because once you make one grave mistake or suffer oppression even once, its impossible not to feel great rage and strength of feeling to go to any length to prevent anyone else from being fooled into feeling so small.

We may all be small right now. The dreamers. But small scouse beatles can shift greater rocks of smelly, beautiful dung than any rolling stone before them, and bees are smaller still - but still brave and oh so kind enough, to nest in the black wig of one the most damaged but openly beautiful minds of 2006, and while the visionaries of the past, the Romantics of the revolutions before may have died in what appears to us like agony - that isn't true - almost definitely not, in fact. Listen again to their songs and their poems and their paintings, and you will hear the tune they really wanted to be heard. Yes, they are scarred: by love, by hate, by bad mentors and by liars and by cruel schools and by pointless wars and oppressive regimes, but this is not why they sing beyond their graves, not why they are beautiful. 

They sing not despite these things but to spite them. They sing, and we sing along, because everybody has suffered at some point, and it doesn't matter what the hurt was, or who the person is. What matters is that if you yourself have ever felt pain and oppression, and know love and joy too, to stand idly by and let unjustified, insecure hatred stay for even a moment longer than it should - could be the moment we turn a damaged, but still hopeful songbird into a dead robin. And robins fight to the death for their territories. 

We can die for what we believe in, true, or we can die without standing up against insecure oppressors, also true. 

But there is a third option, and probably options beyond that, but this is the one I have chosen to live by, to dream by, and its up to you to follow if you like - 

we can hold both these options of death, hand in hand, at arms length, and live on, wielding defiant empathy, even for those we don't yet fully understand; with loving passion, for those we sense need our presence for a while, and we can push towards the future where we can all be happily in disagreement. Because disagreeing makes us happy. Our differences and our individual creativity, generation in, culture out, family in, person out - that is what is important. Not the arbitrary finish lines we set out of a pointless fear that we might not be heard the moment we walk a different route. 

People will always listen, but only if you are willing to shout fearlessly, truthfully, with humility, at the top of your lungs, to make sure no one - not no one ever at all - ever walks alone again. 

15/12/22 (btw, if u cared)

December 16, 2022 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Tommy Goround
11:56 Jan 09, 2023

Essay. Stories are differentiated by characters. I still love pieces like this. Clap'n.

Reply

Ness Turner
13:26 Jan 10, 2023

Haha true definitely not much of a story structure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
18:44 Dec 29, 2022

I wanted to shout Hallelujah . The first part was a big bleak but the ending paragraphs made me sing . Formerly British now naturalized citizen of the U S Thankyou for a stirring(even though lengthy) great piece.

Reply

Ness Turner
10:34 Jan 02, 2023

Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.