2 comments

Romance Fiction

“Girls, girls! Please come to the parlor at once!” 

 I watched patiently as my sisters scurried into the house. 

Today, I will take my time. The sky was a bright, cerulean blue and the sun was friendly, embracing my pale, rosy skin with a refreshing touch of warmth. 

I drew delicate lines across my sketchbook, envisioning a bright, beautiful escape of marigolds and long, tall grass ruling the pages.

“Rayna!,” Mother’s shrill tone quivered through the wind.


I stumbled into the parlor, nearly losing my balance at the door. 

My sisters were seated, giving me exasperated smiles. Each girl was perfectly poised like mother’s porcelain doll collection. 

There was Melodia, the eldest, with hair as yellow as gold and a smile as warm and comforting as freshly baked cookies. 

Next Allegra, mother’s most eager helper, her yellow ringlets always perfectly in place and not a spot of dirt on her dress. 

“Sit here, sister,” Sonatina called, patting the chair to her right.

Sonatina was the most patient of us sisters. Her green eyes sparkled when she listened to me explain the plots of my books. It was a surprise that her and Allegra were twins.

Then there was me, the youngest. 

I took my place in my reserved seat and shook out my shoulder-length copper hair.

I looked up at Mother. She was smiling.

“I have exciting news. We have all been invited to the royal palace to meet with the prince in three days!”

My sisters gasped.

“What does this mean?” Allegra asked curiously.

“I don’t know for certain, but I do know it is something positive. Go fetch your best dresses and give them to Lily for cleaning! Father will be attending with us, as well.”

I wondered if Father was finally to be rewarded for his trading efforts overseas. Only time would tell.




The palace interior was the work of a dreamer. 

Every piece of decor, from the statues to the vases, were dripping in gold. 

The floor was an alabaster marble, so glossed that I carefully watched each step I took, afraid I would slip.

My family and I continued to the end of the hallway, where I saw three figures waiting for us.


“Welcome!” The King bellowed.


We knelt down in synchrony at the foot of the royal family.


“I am glad you made it here safely,” the Queen crooned, “I’d like to introduce you to our son, Prince Alec of Cadenza.


The Prince looked just like his painting; tall, curly dark locks tamed with a perfectly positioned crown, and blazing blue eyes. He looked to be around twenty-one or so, broad shouldered with a muscular build.

 He smiled with one corner of his mouth, nodding his head at us in a welcoming manner.


“Pleasure to meet you Symphonet family,” he said, his voice soft like velvet.


“We are glad to be here,” Father spoke, deepening his voice to mask his nerves.

The Queen and King glanced at each other, then over at us. 


“May I ask the young maiden Melodia to step forward?”


I turned towards my sister, who was as pale as the marbled floors.

She stiffly took a step forward.

Prince Alec stepped down from his elevated stage, walking slowly up to Melodia and gave her a charming smile.

“Melodia, what a beautiful name,” he lulled.

“She is the eldest daughter?” the King asked.

“Y-yes your highness, our first born,” Mother stammered. 

The prince tenderly took my sister’s hand and led her up onto the stage.


“Mr. Symphonet, our son has recently come of a mature age, and we appreciate the business you have done for our kingdom. We would love to unite our families and continue our work together by requesting Melodia’s hand for Alec.”


My mouth hung open. Her hand? As in hand in marriage

Sonatina’s eyes widened and Allegra was biting her lip. 


Melodia looked up at the Prince with a weak smile.

“What exciting news! Of course, we are happy to offer our daughter’s hand to your royal highness,” Father exclaimed.

“Yes, very happy!” Mother breathed, beaming. 


What!

Melodia had not uttered a single word, she had not even been given a chance to respond! 

The twins had their heads bowed respectfully as the prince kneeled down to kiss Melodia’s hand.


“Shouldn’t you get to know each other first?” I blurted out to my sister. 

Melodia smiled at me apologetically. 

The King laughed, “There will be plenty of time for introductions after the wedding. We would like to get the marriage accomplished in a month’s time,” he noted.

A month’s time!


“No!” I cried.

Mother glared at me, daggers in her eyes.

The King and Queen’s faces did not falter. The prince looked amused. 

“You haven’t even asked Melodia for her say!”

He nodded, turning back to my sister.

“Of course. Dearest Melodia, will you marry me?”

Melodia was frozen, a half smile plastered to her lips. She looked astonished that the prince was talking directly to her.

“Oh, well…yes. Thank you,” she stammered.

The prince pursed his lips.

“It has been confirmed then. While we arrange the wedding, we would like you all to stay within the castle. We will send our staff to fetch your belongings.”

Great, now we were being kidnapped as well.


As the sky grew dark, so did my mood along with it.

I thought of younger Melodia. She was always as romantic as I was, dreaming about how she would fall in love. 

Now here she was, engaged to a man that none of us knew, exclusive of his title.

I punched the pillow atop my plush bed. Goose feathers fluttered out of the sides and around my face. My forehead creased in frustration, and only loosened up as I fell asleep.




The next day, our family was invited to breakfast. I hadn't had the chance to talk to my sister since the announcement. She was being dragged from left to right, getting measured for gowns, asked her opinion on several atrocious fabric designs, and being primped like a royal. 



Halfway through the week I stumbled upon Prince Alec walking the halls.

“Hello. I apologize, I seem to have misplaced your name.”

I snorted. 

“Misplaced my name? It’s Rayna,” I said dully.

“Ah, yes, the fiery sister,” he stated matter-of-factly.

My eyes widened.

“Excuse me, your highness for not being thrilled at the aspect of my sister marrying a stranger!” I huffed, walking faster.

He picked up his pace.

“You seem to be forgetting your sister did not oppose this marriage.”

“Like she had a choice,” I scoffed, “Do you know her dreams, her accomplishments?”

“I will learn in time.”

“Doesn’t that upset you? Don’t you want to marry for love?” I asked, exasperated.

He spotted the book beneath my arm.

“You read too much fantasy. In this world, marriage is a political union here to aid this kingdom. It is a selfless act.”

“That’s because you have never really been in love. Maybe you should read one of these books, and you’ll know what you’ve deprived my sister and yourself of.”


“You forget this marriage helps your family. We will have new headquarters built for you. Your father’s business will flourish beyond belief. If I must sacrifice love for the well-being of my country, then I shall do just that. Your sister will be well taken care of.”


“You’re wrong.”


He turned to me, astonished.



“I’m sorry?” he asked, eyebrows raised.


“I don’t care if you think me to be silly, at least I know I will have something that you never will. True love and free will.”


“Regardless of your thoughts on this marriage, it will happen. If you continue to make trouble for your poor sister and I, you will be sent home.”


“That’s perfectly fine with me!” I snapped.


Thank goodness my room was visible right up ahead. 


I stormed to my door and shut it with vigor. 



I lay back in bed and read the rest of my book in frustration. I spotted my tattered sketchbook peeking out from my belongings. Tomorrow I would explore the castle and see if there were any beautiful things I could draw to distract my dizzy mind.  


It would be nice to get outside in this beautiful sunshine. 

I pushed my way through the small arched door to the outside.



In front of me was the most gorgeous garden I had ever seen. It enveloped me from all sides, and I had to blink several times to make sure it was real. 

Color surrounded me; vivid reds, bodacious blues and entrancing purples. I could make out roses, tulips, lavender accompanied by its calming scent, but there were many more I had never seen before. 

Flowers that looked like a sunset, flowers so large I could sit underneath their petals for shade, all surrounded by jeweled butterflies lapping up their sweet honeysuckle pollen.. 

Every plant sang and stretched its roots eagerly from the deep, wet, chocolate soil. 

I didn’t know what to draw first, or perhaps I would write a tale about a secret garden romance? 


I skipped deeper into the garden until I found a small cherry blossom tree, its pink flowers dancing from every branch.

It was under this tree that I would make myself comfortable for the next few days, basking in the ethereal beauty of the garden. 

I heard a rustle from up behind me.


“Fancy seeing you here.”


I whipped my head around to find Prince Alec, except he didn’t look like the Prince Alec I had previously met.

He was covered in dirt, and wearing a short, tattered beige shirt and baggy brown pants and green gloves. His curls hung slightly over his eyes, wild and loose. In his hand was a small shovel.


“This garden is…it’s stunning,” I admitted.


“Thank you, I’m glad you like my work,” he smiled with his dark brows raised. 


I gasped.


“This is your work? You built this entire garden?” I asked incredulously.


He nodded.


“Don’t act so surprised,” he chuckled.


“I’ve been coming here every day,” I admitted.


He laughed.


“I’m glad someone enjoys this as much as I do. It’s my escape from the strict walls of the palace as well.”


Hmm. Maybe he wasn’t as stuck up as I had thought.


“It must be difficult, having the entire fate of the country resting on your shoulders. And then to have someone like me cause you trouble…”


“I know you mean well. I am marrying your sister, after all.’



I started penciling in my pages again, and I noticed him peering down.


“Did you draw that?” he asked, surprised.


“Yes, I was drawing my own garden scene before I found yours. It’s given me inspiration.”


“May I?” he asked, reaching his hand towards me.


I nervously handed him my sketchbook, watching him fly through the pages.


“These are incredible. I love this one, particularly,” he said, pausing on one sketch and tracing it with his finger thoughtfully.


“It’s a wishing well, and those are daffodils. I’ve always wanted to throw a coin into one and make a wish.”

“That’s a good way to lose your money,” he joked.

“It’s not about money, it’s about magic!”

He looked up at me, eyes glowing.

“What is it?” I asked.

He smiled.

“Call me Alec.”


I spent more time in the garden than inside the palace. 

Often Alec would be there, and I would help him with his gardening. 

We would talk about many things, like the fifteen novels I had written, his responsibilities as prince and how they would change as king. The aspects of society I felt needed to be changed. And he listened. 

 I had misjudged him, and for that I was sorry. 


“Rayna?” I heard an ever too familiar, warm voice from the end of the hall.


“Melodia!” I yelled, dashing down towards the throne room. 


Melodia looked magnificent. 


“I’ve missed you,” she sighed, embracing me. 


She smelled sweet, like a deep floral perfume.


“I missed you too. How are you able to stand in that?” I giggled.


“Lots and lots of practice! They even made me balance books on my head!”


“And they didn’t let you read them? Preposterous!”


“I’ve been meaning to talk to you. Thank you for standing up for me when we came here.”


I looked at her, surprised.


“But I nearly got kicked out of the palace!”

She smiled.

“You allowed me to have a choice, and Alec is a pretty great choice. He’s a sweet man, Rayna. 

Oh, that reminds me, Alec did say he wanted you to stop by the garden, he had something to tell you?”


“He did?”


“Yes. Oh! And before you go Rayna, my favorite flower is lilac,” she whispered with a wink.

“Duly noted.”


What did Alec want to speak to me about? 






“Alec?” I called, from the entrance of the garden.


Silence. I walked further in. 


“Alec? Melodia said you wanted to-”


I stopped in my tracks.


There stood Alec, hands filthy and muscles glistening with sweat. He was shirtless, wiping his brow with a rag. And behind him…


I gasped.


He smiled, all of his teeth shining.

It was my wishing well, in the middle of a pillowy moat of daffodils.


“Surprise,” he exclaimed, coming towards me with his palm outstretched.


A coin.



“This is my drawing,” I whispered, taking the coin.


He placed his hand on my back, leading me towards the well.


“Alec, I can’t believe you did this,” I said breathlessly.


He shrugged.


“You inspired me. Truthfully, you’ve done nothing but inspire me since you stepped foot in this palace and set it on fire.”


For the first time in my life, I was speechless.



I stepped closer, closing my eyes and thinking hard.


What did I wish for? 



I wish…I wish for my own happily ever after


I threw the coin into the well and it landed with a delicate splash.


“What did you wish for?” Alec asked.


“If I told you, it wouldn’t come true,” I smirked.


“Very true. I made a wish too.”


“I hope your wish comes true, so maybe you’ll finally believe in magic.”


He stepped closer.


“It already has,” he whispered, leaning in and wrapping me beneath his arms.


It hit me like a fire from deep within my soul. This is what I wrote about in my stories, though I never truly knew what it felt like. I was always in love with the idea of being in love, but now I know why. Love felt like this. It was-oh no.


His lips were inches away from mine.


I pulled myself away, looking up at Alec, horrified.


“You’re marrying my sister!” 


“You were the one who told me I deserved to know the feeling of being in love. Well, I’m in love with you, Rayna,” he said sincerely.


I wanted nothing more than to enjoy this moment because, the truth of it was, I was in love with Alec. But that couldn’t be.


I shook my head. 


“Rayna, I can’t marry Melodia. Now that I know what love really is.”


“You have to. You said it before, it’s just political. Oh, and her favorite flower is lilac.”


I took one last look at Alec, who looked distraught, and then at my wishing well, and ran back out of the garden, looking down the whole time.




Memories of us flashed through my head. From our first heated conversation, to our laughs and talks in the garden, to the feelings we shared in front of the wishing well. I was nervous. that he would stop the wedding.

 My heart wanted him to. My head, however, told me that was a vicious thing to want. It told me to make sure he married Melodia. 


There was a loud knock at my door. 

There stood Alec in his royal blue garb.


“May I come in?” 


“I think it’s best if we talk out here,” I said adamantly. 


He leaned closer.


“Rayna, please let me call off this wedding,” he pleaded. 


“No, Alec, no, you can’t. You promised you would take care of my sister and make her happy, so you must do just that,” I said shakily.


He closed his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath.

“Just answer me this. Do you love me?”


I swallowed. 



“Do you love me?” he repeated.


“I do,” I whispered.


His eyes brightened, and a smile grew on his lips. 


He leaned closer.


I pulled back.


“Listen to me. You will marry Melodia. You will make her happy. Do you understand?”


He shook his head.


“I don’t. You have always advocated for true love, in what you said the first day I met you, in your stories, what about your own? Are you really willing to give your true love up?”


I took a deep breath and stared back at him through glossy eyes.


“My truest love will always be the love for my sisters. I’m sorry.”


He nodded sadly.


“You’re right, as always. It’s what’s best, isn’t it.”


I forced a smile and nodded.


“Just know, my daffodil, I will always love you.”


He turned to walk away.


“As long as the garden grows, so my love for you remains,” I answered.


He paused for a moment before being interrupted by a staff member who hurried him away. 



Wedding day.


My twin sisters held onto each side of me, ready to walk down the aisle.


My parents were somewhere behind us with Melodia, who was blanketed in pure white.


She was so happy, and it made me feel like everything would be okay. 


Melodia might have Alec, but I had a sketchbook full of dreams. I would make that enough. 


Every inch of the room was enrobed in white flowers and ribbons, a heavenly sight.


I took a deep breath.


Rayna, once this day passes, it’s over.


I walked in slowly, and gazed up.


Up at the altar, on each side of Alec, were bright bouquets of daffodils.


February 05, 2022 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jess Norton
01:18 Feb 10, 2022

This is a very sweet story! I felt that through your world building I could see this short story setting the groundwork for a larger work in which Rayna and Alec fall for each other. I found your character descriptions to be very vivid and provide life to the characters, making each one unique. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marlowe Gardner
19:27 Feb 24, 2022

I loved this story! I would ALSO love to see a sequel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.