Dare to See

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Drama High School

An email popped up on my black phone. "It said I dare you to go see Derek right now, and surprise him with a special gift." Okay I thought to myself. Before I could stop myself, I found myself in front of his white Dutch colonial. Cautiously, I pushed open the red front door and creeped up the stairs. My heart was beating dangerously fast as my lungs burned for oxygen as I approached his bedroom door.

Slowly I opened the black door and saw a true horror. Derek was naked in bed with blonde haired Natalie. He yelled as he slammed his door shut. Anger and sadness welled up inside of me as he stood in front of me tapping his feet.

"Natalie!" I shouted as I looked away. "How am I not good enough for you?" A dark grin danced across his face as he grabbed my arm. It burned as he gripped harder and harder.

"Get out!" Derek ordered as he threw me out of his house and flipped me off. Salty tears fell down my face as I crashed against the pavement. Grey clouds formed above me as I stood up weakly. My heart felt hefty with pain as it started to rain. The rain pounded around me as I stood on the cracked sidewalk. My black dress clung to my curves as my brown hair hung in heavy strings around my face. Eye liner ran down my face as a red truck pulled up next to me. Fresh blood started to trickle down my knees as I stood in burning pain. How could I trust someone like Derek? How could I be so stupid? Fumbling for my phone, I sighed in disbelief as it crashed to the ground. My face fell with despair as I saw the long crack in the screen. The screen flickered on and off until the screen went black. Just what I needed, I thought to myself.

"Etoile, do you need a ride?" A familiar voice offered gently. "Where is Derek?" Shame washed over me as I started to walk away. My friend Liam sat in his truck in his black shirt and pants. His green eyes flickered with worry as he ran his hand through his long dark hair.

"Uh, sure." I accepted weakly. "It is not like tonight could get any better." He smiled warmly as I plopped down next to him on the grey leather seats. Ruffling in the back he tossed me his black sweatshirt. My mind raced wondering how he knew where to be at the perfect time. He had a habit of being there when I needed him.

"I can argue that." He stated with a soft chuckle. "How about we do something fun?" Sighing, I just lifelessly shrugged my shoulders. It was not going to ever get any better. Liam looked away really quickly as he saw the bruise on my arm. Houses blurred by as he pulled into an abandoned mansion. The weathered Victorian mansion loomed darkly in the rainy night. My mind started to drift away into la-la land. I jerked awake as the door ripped open. Curiously in his hand, he had a black plastic bag.

"What is in the bag?" I asked with a slight smile. He shrugged playfully as he pulled me into the mansion. Cobwebs covered everything as he pushed open a strong oak door. In the middle of the room was a black gingham blanket. The peeling wallpaper was comforting as I realized where we were.

"Do you remember this place?" He teased with an evil grin. "Now tell me what went wrong tonight that has you so grim." He pulled out two electric lamps and lit them. Light flooded the room revealing the moldy furniture and drawings on the wall.

"It was my fault he cheated. I should have done what he told me to do." I rambled frantically. As he pulled me into a warm hug I could hear his heart beat faster. My mind said to protest, but my body wanted him to keep holding me. His mind must have heard me for he held me even tighter. His smell was intoxicating as the woodsy smell filled my nose. My heart started beat nearly out of my chest as he looked into my chocolate brown eyes.

"You don't deserve a cheater." He uttered with an flash of fury. "Can I convince you to be with me?" His suddenness sent my body into shock. My joints grew stiff as I pulled away from him. His smile faded as he pulled out my favorite chocolate peanut butter cake, and lemon-lime soda.

"Tell me one thing." I ordered with a straight face. "Did you send that e-mail? I find it kind of odd you just happen to be there when it all went down." His feet shuffled as he shoved his hands into his pockets. His face filled with shame as he looked away.

"Yes." He answered with pleading look. "I saw him with Natalie behind the bleachers. I tried to tell you multiple times, but you kept brushing me off." I opened my mouth to protest, but memories kept flooding into me as I saw at least ten times he had tried to tell me.

"One last question." I stated with a nervous smirk. "How long have you liked me? I did do your dare. Now it is your turn to tell the truth." Smiling sheepishly, he inched closer to me. A glimmer of hope glistened in his eyes as he cleared his throat.

"Ever since I met you when I was ten." He stammered as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "I just never the balls to tell you." He pressed his lips against mine with a fiery passion. Awkward silence filled the room, as time stopped. The rain poured heavily outside as I touched my lips against his with hunger. He embraced my tiny waist and spun me around.

"I love you, Etoile." He professed with a giant grin. "I always will." Chuckling to myself, it felt so right.

"Don't ever trick me like that again." I teased happily. "I love you to the moon and back."

May 20, 2021 20:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Steffen Lettau
05:17 Nov 12, 2023

Quite a love story!

Reply

Yvette Francaise
00:49 Nov 13, 2023

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.