SIMPLY, ALEX

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

All eyes followed Kenya King as she walked down the aisle of the school bus, searching for a seat. Forced to move across town, she was angry. What made it worse, her father, Robert, accepted the job of principal at her new school. Dad explained why we had to move, but still, Kenya didn't want to. He told us he would be the first person of color to be an administrator in this school district. 


"This is a historically significant event that would be an example, and give hope to the future Black and Latino educators," he felt strongly about this.


Besides, Mr. Cursak, School Chancellor, insisted he move into the school district before appointing him. 


Kenya wondered, "What could be worse than being the new kid whose father's the principal?" 


 Relocating was tough, but leaving her elementary pals behind hurt. Sure they'd keep in contact on social media, but it's not like being there in person. Kenya and her girlfriends had grand plans for middle school. As the first day of approached, Kenya couldn't sleep and hardly ate. No matter how hard she prayed for a miracle, the first day of school arrived, and she was dreading it.


 Kenya studied the rows of unfamiliar frowning kids. At each row, a student would either shook their head. ' no' or slid their backpack to prevent her from sitting. Kenya moved along until she came upon a boy who didn't seem to mind her. 


 All the children snickered. A child blurted, "She sitting next to Alex." 


Alex sat in his chair in the Yoga lotus pose position. 


"May I sit here?"


Without opening his eyes, he nodded yes. 


"Hi. My name Ken-"


Alex placed his index finger to his lips, indicating he wanted silence. 


While Alex sat in meditation, Kenya peeked at him out the corner of her eyes.  


Alex's clothes were all Black and too big for him. Black fingernails complimented his dark, dramatic makeup. A Yankee's cap pulled down over, yes, Black hair. His entire appearance screamed out Goth. After a few moments, Alex sighed and opened his eyes.


Alex looked Kenya up and down.

"Hi, my name is Alex. Short for Alexandrea. Alex, after my dad. Andrea, after my mom. But no one calls me that. I'm just plain, Alex."


"Alex is a girl?" Kendra thought, trying not to look surprised. 


"Oh, my name is Kenya."


"Kenya, huh? Are you named after the east-central African country?"


"I guess. My mom was born in Kenya." She paused. "You're a girl."


Alex smiled. "The last I checked I was a girl."


"If you're a girl, why do you dress like that."


"I should dress like you? Wear an oversized hoodie, over black stretch pants, and Jordon's? Just like everybody else? No, thanks."


Kenya and Alex turned their backs on each other, and they sat silently, frowning. Alex broke the silence.


 "Is it true your father is the new principal?"


"Yeah. She's the principal's little girl. You know she's going to get special treatment."


Alex whirled around in her seat. "Be quiet, Corey, nobody's talking to you."


Corey slumped down in his chair and stared out the window. 


"Thank you, Alex."


"Ah, it's nothing. These kids know you're father's is our new principal. Most of them think just like Corey. They think they really know you. Kids. But I say, give you a chance."


Kenya smiled. 


Alex continued. "Tomorrow, no more searching for a seat, You'll sit next to me from now on, this is your seat. Okay?"


Kenya nodded. "That's okay with me."


The bus squealed to halt in front of the school. 


Alex stood up first. "This is how it goes, Kenya. The Buses line up in front of the school, we get off. We're moved along like a herd of cattle threw the front doors. Then it's down the hall, and finally, into the lunchroom. Got it?"


Kenya stood with a puzzled look on her face.


Alex assured. "Don't worry. Just follow me."



Alex led Kenya into the lunchroom. Yelling at a group of white kids standing to their left, Alex weaved her through the crowd towards them. 

Noticing Kenya wasn't following her, she looked over her shoulder.


"C'mon, Kenya!" 


Alex hugged everyone in the crowd. Kenya felt awkward and out of place.


Alex waved Kenya into the crowd. "Hey, everyone, I want you to me, Principal King's daughter, and my friend, Kenya."  


Startled, Kenya ambled towards Alex. Kenya was overwhelmed by the warm greetings. They chatted with her as if they had known her for years. 

Minging among the group, Kenya heard stories about everyone's Summer vacation. 


Alex walked over and tapped Kenya on the shoulder and motioned that it was time to leave. 


"Take care, everybody, me and Kenya will see you around.."


As we walked around the lunchroom, Alex spotted a group of black teens.

With Kenya by her side, Alex drifted towards the circle kids. Alex stopped inside the circle. 


""What's up, everybody?" 

The kids turned towards Alex.


"Hey, Alex!" They rushed over and either hugged her or shook her hand.


Pointing at Kenya, one of the guys moved closer to Alex. 


"Whose your cute friend?"


Kenya blushed and acted as if she didn't hear his remark.


"This Kenya. She's the new principal's daughter and my friend."


The gang stopped for a moment and looked at Kenya. Again she felt awkward and out of place.


One of the girls approached Kenya. "If you're a friend of Alex. then you must be okay."


One by one, they walked over and introduced themselves. Kenya could she Alex out the corner of her eye laughing and joking with a bunch of kids. Kenya and Alex stayed with the group until the bell rang.


"Well, Kenya, let us get this party started. Who's your homeroom teacher?"

Kenya unfolded her class schedule. 

"Mrs. Barrington."

"Oh, you're so lucky! She's aces. My brother, Patrick, had her last year. He said she was really cool."


"Who do you have for homeroom?"


"Dreamy Mr. Smith, my future husband."


The girls giggled at the silly remark.


"This is where we part, Kenya. You go straight down the hall, your classrooms on the left. I gotta go this way. I'll catch up with you in English class. Okay?"


Kenya smiled. "Right, see you in English class."


Alex turned. "As my grandpop would say, "See ya later, alligator."


Kenya looked at her. "After while, crocodile."


The girls parted, knowing how unlikely it might seem they would be the best of friends.

May 30, 2020 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.