0 comments

Romance

IS THAT YOU?

by Rick Pascal

“Harriet… is that you?”

“Who said that?” she answered, turning around.

“It’s me, Freddie,” he responded.

“Oh. My. God,” Harriet replied. “Is that really you? I hardly recognize you.”

“It’s me, all right,” Freddie said. “You’ve hardly changed at all. Still thin, still pretty. Still the same Harriet from high school. How do you stay so young?”

“It’s been decades since I saw you last, Freddie. Seems like you put on a few pounds. Then again, so many of us have. I like the way you shaved your head and grew that cute little white beard.  It’s quite becoming.”

“Harriet, it’s so good to see you again. I’ve thought about you over the years, wondering where you were and what you were doing. I also wondered what would have happened between us if you hadn’t moved away.”

“I’ve thought about that too,” she responded. “But I did, so….”

“You know how crazy I was about you in high school,” Freddie continued. “I remember how you surprised me with a kiss on our first date. We were an item in senior year, weren’t we?”

“I really liked you, too, Freddie. That last semester before graduation was so wonderful. I even thought I was falling in love with you. But I didn’t want to lead you on because I knew that we were going to moving away.”

“You moved to Baltimore, right?”

“Yes, just south of Baltimore. My father got a job with the NIH in Bethesda. I cried a lot that summer. Then you went to Michigan and I went to GW in Washington. I suppose a long-distance relationship wasn’t in the cards.”

“Some of the guys in our class were jealous of me, you know. Years later, a couple of them – you remember Hank and Jack, right?”

“Of course I do,” Harriet laughed. “They were both kinda cute, as I recall.”

“Well, they both told me that they wanted to ask you out but thought you’d reject them, so they never did. I’m glad I did, though.”

“I’m glad you did, too. So, Freddie, what have you done with your life?”

“Oh, a few different things. After I got my engineering degree, I got my MBA from Harvard. After a few years with McKinsey in their strategic planning group, I ventured out to start my own consulting practice. Three years later, Price Waterhouse hired me as a Vice President in charge of consulting. I guess I did all right.”

“Did you ever get married?” Harriet asked.

“Oh, yes. To a wonderful girl. She’s a teacher. We’ve been very happy. We have two sons and five grandchildren. How about you? Married? Work?”

“I started as a teacher also – high school math. Loved the kids. Went on to get my Ph.D. You are looking at one of the youngest school superintendents in Baltimore.”

“I am totally impressed, Harriet. But frankly, not surprised. You were always at the top of the class in high school.”

“Well,” Harriet responded, blushing slightly. “Not quite at the top… close to it, though. Right behind Marilyn.”

“I remember her. You and Marilyn were always competing head to head. Wonder whatever happened to her. Anyway, did you attend any of the high school reunions?”

“I went to the 10th and the 20th. I didn’t see you at either of them. But I did see Marilyn. She got married right after high school and never went to college. I suppose I bested her in that regard. She looked happy, though. Still married to the same man. In the insurance business, I think. He seemed nice. I couldn’t make the 25th, although I wanted to. Timing wasn’t right. What about you?”

“I didn’t even know that there was a 10th or 20th. I must have been off the radar, having lost contact with most of our friends back then. Later on, I reunited with a couple of guys from the orchestra and made it back into the loop. I was at the 25th but was disappointed when I didn’t see you there.”

“I forgot that you were in the orchestra. Trumpet, wasn’t it?”

“First trumpet, if you recall.”

“Did you ever continue playing?”

“I gave it up while I was in college. I still toot a few notes now and then, just for fun. Why weren’t at the 25th reunion?”

“The timing just wasn’t good for me then. Not long afterwards, I lost touch with the old gang. And you? Have you still been in touch with them?”

“As a matter of fact, I’ve gotten together with some of the guys from time to time. Once a year, about ten of us would meet in a restaurant back in Queens and have a mini-reunion. My wife and I would come in from Newton, that’s right outside of Boston, where I worked, and book a hotel in Manhattan. We’d take a week off and see a Broadway show or two, visit the museums…the whole nine yards. We also spent time with some of my family who still live on Long Island. How about you? What’s your life been like?

I met Josh - he’s my husband - while I was teaching in Baltimore. He became a high school principal. From what I understand, the kids love him. He’s so good at it. Anyway, Josh and I used to go to New York on occasion too. To Broadway, like you did. We spent more time in Washington, though, which was a lot closer to home. You know, the Kennedy Center, the Smithsonian museums and all. We also traveled a lot, in the summer. We saw most of Europe. I especially loved Paris. We also cruised to Alaska, and even went as far as a three-week trip to Australia. You travel much?”

“On business, a lot.” Sometimes my wife would come with me, if I had a client in a place she wanted to see: Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco. When I could get away, we also traveled to Europe. We had a fascinating time in South Africa, on safari.”

Harriet and Freddie looked at each other for a few moments, their conversations seemingly halted. Then Freddie began again.

“So, Harriet, how long have you been here?”

“Well, I was 44 when I died, about 35 years ago. I had cancer. That’s why I couldn’t make it to the 25th high school reunion. And you?”

“I just got here, let me see…a few weeks ago I think it was. Heart finally gave out. I’m still not used to the way they keep time here.”

“You’ll get used to it soon. By the way, would you like to meet my husband?  Josh arrived two years ago.”

“Yes. I’d love to meet the lucky son of a gun.”

“What about your wife? Where is she?”

“Not here yet. I love her very much, and miss her a lot. But I hope I don’t see her here for some time. She’s in her early 70’s and I think she’ll stay down there for a while yet.”

“Freddie, time is different here,” Harriet said. “Doesn’t matter how long she’s there, you’ll both be together again sooner than you think.”

“That’s good to know. It’s been great seeing you, Harriet. I’ve got a little time yet before I have to get back to Orientation. So, where is this husband of yours?”

THE END

August 12, 2020 18:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.