0 comments

General

"I hate this as much as you do, so just suck it up!"

 

I retorted as I lay my head back against the headrest. Just what I wanted... to be stuck in traffic with this, jerk. Words simply couldn't begin to describe how much hate I felt in my heart towards Noah, he was such a- well, I'll keep this as clean as I can possible manage. Well, you might be asking, 'How did I end up sharing a trip with the one person that I disliked?' Hehe, funny story, one of my other buds, Evan, told me a friend of his needed a favor. When I realized it was Noah, and that he needed a ride home, I was beyond annoyed and frustrated. But Evan brought up that I owed him. I remember he saw the anger and hatred on my face, but I only sighed and agreed. Evan was like a brother to me, and I didn't want to leave on bad terms with HIM too. Back to the task at hand. He only huffed in response as he crossed his arms tightly across his chest, staring out the passenger side window. I did the same, resting my chin on my hand as I propped my elbow on the small ledge by the window. There really wasn't much to see, just white, white, and more white... My slow, warm breathe caused a little fog to appear in front of me, slightly blocking my uninteresting view. I lifted my right hand, tracing my finger over the cold glass as I drew a small frown, clearing indicating how I was feelings. Noah, on the other hand, clearly couldn't take the tense silence, there was so much tension in the air you could practically see it and cut it clean with a knife. If you could see it, it would be as black as the venom in my voice as I spoke to him. He didn't show it, but my words hurt him, cutting deep into his soul and heart, like a knife. It was as if someone had stabbed him in the back, and twisted the weapon to increase the pain tenfold. He hated how we left each other the last time, it was on terrible terms. And... as much as I hated to admit it, I felt a pang- no, a GUNSHOT of hurt in my soul as I snapped at him, I did care about him, a lot... Though, I never dared show it, I couldn't let him hurt me again. Not again... A soft, but abrupt cough startled me out of my train of thought as I blinked several times. I felt a soft growl emit in my throat as he began to start a conversation. "Hey, um, Avis... I know you really don't wanna talk to me-" he began, only for me to caught him off as I stirred in my current sitting position, crossing and my arms as I scowled, "You got that right." I stated, anger lacing my tone so painfully. He caught himself before he said something hateful back, shifting so he looked at me a bit more. "Avis, please, just listen to me." He argued, trying to gain my attention towards him. I gave an aggravated sigh, but leaned to show to my face, indicating I was listening. I heard him sigh as he began, "I-I know we didn't end things on a very good terms.. And I regret everything I said to you, I didn't want you to leave.." he spoke so softly, gently taking my hand as if he was afraid to break me, as if I was fragile porcelain doll. I looked up at him as I opened my mouth to say something in defense, but I stopped, closing my mouth. I stared into his eyes, they were full of pain, regret, and guilt... My expression softened as our eyes stayed locked. My mind went to that night, the night we fought...

"I wanna stay with you! You know that!" I said in defense as Noah stormed around the room, pacing and growing, more angry by the second. "I love you, Noah.. I just- I can't do this, not with your anger as bad as it is." I said sadly, grabbing his hand as he stared at him, almost as if he thought about hitting me. A small smile tugged at his lips before my words sunk in. He threw my hand down as he shoved me back, "Then go! GET OUT! I DON'T WANT YOU HERE!" he bellowed at me, practically towering over my small figure. I felt tears prick my eyes, threatening to fall. With all my bravery and strength, "FINE! I NEVER LOVED YOU TO BEGIN WITH!" I yelled back at him, my voice filled with anger and regret, but held an underlying tone of extreme sadness. Then, I grabbed my bag and slammed the door behind me...

But I turned back...

I looked back...

I cried more than I ever had that night...

"Avis, are you ok?" Noah's voice snapped me out of my flashback-like state. I blinked a few times, sighing, "Yes, I-I'm fine..." I felt his hand on my face as he wiped the tears, that I didn't notice were falling, away. "I never wanted you to leave..." he spoke softly, holding my face in his hand. I leaned into his touch, our faces were inches apart, it wouldn't be hard to close a little distance... Apparently, he was a mind reader, because not even 2 seconds later he captured my lips in a soft, gentle, but passionate kiss. I felt every emotion in that action, all the rage he felt towards himself for hurting me, all the regret and guilt for yelling at me. He pulled away for a moment to whisper, "I will never hurt you again... I promise.." he spoke with true sincerity. I felt a smile tug at my lips as I erupted into a fit of giggles, hugging him close to me.

'I knew everything was going to be ok after that...

No, not ok..

Great...'



January 07, 2020 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.