The Pens of Fate (Chapter 7 and 8 remake)

Written in response to: Write about a hero or a villain deathly afraid of doing their job.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Suspense Teens & Young Adult

This story contains sensitive content

Ethan stood in front of the school’s doors waiting for Tina. He held a calm expression even though his mind couldn’t get over the fact that Tina and her family have been hurting for 15 years. Well, now no one will hurt you because I’m here, he thought as Tina and Liz walked to the stone steps. Ethan wouldn’t have described her as pretty. Tina was more bewitching than any other girl he knew. Liz continued to walk when Tina stopped to admire Ethan. He looked like a dream come true, and there was nothing she could do to stop her reaction: it felt like her heart would burst out of her chest every time he looked at her. When they went through the doors and planned to dance the night away... 

Adaline gathered up everyone on the dance floor, only to find out that Tina had already started to dance with Ethan, “We need to warn her,” she said as she took Haven’s hand and continued, “Grab a partner and dance towards her.” While the two made their way towards Tina and Ethan, Haven looked at Adaline from top to bottom; her hoodie was covered in dirt and ash, her hair was messy and her jeans were torn in multiple areas. Adaline noticed him eyeing her, “I don’t look anything like that girl you went on a date with, do I?” Haven chuckled, “No, but with a dress or no dress you are still the girl I asked out, and the girl those’s personalities I adore.” They both blushed and smiled as Haven twirled Adaline past Ethan, when the stage lights came on, stopping all bodies. Aaron, the student body president, started to get everyone’s attention, “Hey, sorry about that, guys. But there was a fire at the headmaster’s house.” As he continued to talk murmurs began to spread among the crowd, “Don’t worry. Mr. Wallace was pulled out of the fire by an unknown hero!” Ethan’s mouth dropped as he stared at Aaron in utter shock. Addie took Tina’s hand and pulled her towards the gang... 

Tina’s eyes started to water, “So, Bonnie wasn’t born deaf?!” Every emotion coursed through her body; rage at the fact that her mom had lied to them all those years, sadness because a part of her wanted Ethan to be the misunderstood hero, and a twisted feeling of love. Adaline pasted back and forth, holding on to her left arm, “This is getting pretty bad. I think you guys should go home,” looking at Haven, Zach, Shelly, and Ian. “Like hell we are!” Haven yelled before Zach had the chance to say it. Zach looked from the rest of the group to Adaline, “We came too far for you to push us away. Now, I don’t know if you showed your old friends your worlds and they didn’t help you in any way, but as your best friend, I am not letting you do this alone!” Shelly cleared her throat, “I’m with Zach, Addie, but I am your best friend.” Zach and Shelly continued to argue while Haven looked at Adaline, “I don’t care if it is dangerous. You should know that I would follow you into the battle! No matter what Hell throws at me, I will not leave your side!” Ian nodded, “We will fight right beside you, Addie. Just don’t die on us, okay?” The group nodded in agreement and started to head back into the gymnasium when Adaline noticed that Lason stayed behind. 

“Lason?” Adaline pulled her sleeve down as she spoke, “Is everything ok?” Lason ran his hand through his hair, “Why do you kill the people you create? Are we just toys to you?” Adaline locked eyes with him, “You are the reason that I am alive,” Lason looked from her to the gym as she continued, “I have depression and writing and reading took me to places where I wasn’t having to compete for love with anyone, where I was no one. I hate myself for my mom not loving me. So, I write to escape. I created you and your brother to help me,” Lason glared, “THEN WHY DID YOU KILL HIM?” 

“I lost someone I loved and it killed a part of me, losing a part of my personality- killing Norman in the process. I didn’t kill anyone.” Lason couldn’t feel his legs and fell to the ground. Adaline rushed to his side, “You haven’t charged your batteries since you got here, have you?” Lason couldn’t respond. Adaline dragged him over to the closest bush and ran to the club room. Lason had been made into an android, not into a human lab rat. Which means he had to charge to be able to live. Lason kept it a secret from the others to lead the team. 

Adaline pulled the classroom apart until she found the charger. It was a dog tag on a golden chain. Adaline made Lason the part of her that she had always wanted; a strong, proud of everything that she stood for. Lason’s charger jiggled as she took off running. After placing the charger on him, Adaline went into the gym to get Zach and Haven... 

Lason stood in a white room. When he wore the charger he saw his memories replaying and bringing back the pain of the past with them. Norman was standing in front of him, smiling his sweet but goofy smile that all ten-year-olds have. Norman giggled and started to run off like they were playing a game of tag. “Norman! Don’t go that way!” Lason always knew what the outcome would be but he still ran after him. The room then slowly changed into a forest-like scenery. Norman’s curly red hair bounced as he ran through the trees. “Norman! COME BACK!” Lason came to a clearing of the forest. The tall grass blew in the wind and Norman stood still as the world around him with his back towards Lason. When Norman turned around, Lason choked on his tears. Norman stood there while blood leaked from his left eye, “Why didn’t you stop me, big brother?” Norman’s right eye started to water as he continued to torment Lason, “YOU FAILED, BIG BROTHER…” Lason fell to the ground and curled up... 

Zach, Haven, and Adaline stood over Lason, “So, where are we gonna put him while he charges?” Zach scratched his head as Adaline looked down at Lason who was completely passed out, “We can take him to our world, but I don’t think I can hide him at my house.” Haven and Zach locked eyes and spoke in unison, “ Our school.” After the boys each took one of Lason’s arms, Adaline opened a portal... 

Ethan walked through the crowd looking for Tina when a blinding light came out of one of the gym’s windows. Ethan’s eyes widen as Zach, Haven, and Adaline step through a portal. Ethan took off through the gym’s doors just as the portal started to close. Ethan jumped through to discover the truth behind the pens and Adaline... 

Angel and Harper looked at each other after losing sight of Ethan, “Where could he have run off to?” Harper and Angel went to warn the others that Ethan had vanished... 

Adaline, Haven, and Zach laid Lason in one of the unused classrooms while he charged. Adaline walked towards the door, “We should start to head back to the others.” …

Ethan found himself in a small bedroom. It appeared to belong to a teenage girl. There were a black nightstand and a matching dresser, a bed, and a tan-colored shelf. Just as Ethan took in his surroundings a tall boy walked into the room. Ethan prepared to bolt out of there faster than lighting when he noticed that the boy had looked right at him but acted like no one was in the room. Ethan went to tap him but when he did his hand just went through the boy’s shoulder. Ethan’s eyes widened as he took a wheezy breath. Where am I? Ethan had many other things running through his mind. It was almost as if his brain had become a freeway and thoughts were zooming to and from. Ethan saw a notebook laying on the nightstand by the bed. After waiting for the boy to leave, Ethan sat down on the bed and flipped through the pages... 

Adaline, Haven, and Zach opened a portal and started to head back when Adaline felt chills going down her back. Haven turned to face her, “What’s wrong?” Adaline locked eyes with him, “I don’t know, but I have a bad feeling.” They stepped through the portal... 

Ethan chuckled silently to himself as he tightened his grip on the notebook. A portal appeared in front of him. Adaline must have opened another portal to get back to his world, Ethan thought as he stood up and went through the portal. “Oh, sweet Adaline,” Ethan’s eyes became a lustful green when he spoke, “You have given me the best gift ever, mom.” The way he said the word “mom” would have made even the devil quiver. Ethan’s eyes stared dead ahead as the portal closed behind him…

Adaline had gotten away from the rest of the group after taking Lason to the real world to charge. She had opened a portal to a world where her favorite monsters roamed free to heal her arm before anyone could see it. The arm that she had written on during the fire had begun to swell and turn a purplish-black. Using the Pen of the Devil already was bad but using any of the pens on yourself was really bad. The Devil’s Pen is cursed; the user could die if not taking care of the curse properly. Adaline stood behind a tree as a small doll with red hair walked past. Adaline continued to walk among the trees, avoiding several other creatures that happened to be hunting for victims. After a long walk, Adaline finally came to a small seashore. 

The white sand sparkled in the moonlight as the waves came in and out. This was one of the seas that go through all the worlds but this is the only one that can heal Adaline’s arm. The seas connect all the worlds and power the portals. 

Adaline rolled up her sleeve and headed towards the water when she heard a twig snap behind her. When she turned around Ethan was standing there. Adaline sighed, “Well, here we are. I knew you would find out the truth; I expected nothing less from myself.” Ethan’s face softened, “Why didn’t you kill me when you had the chance?” Adaline looked down to see one of her older notebooks in his hand, “A good writer keeps all of her work to improve one’s skills. You are not the first Ethan Eval and you probably won’t be the last since we are the same person.” Ethan’s eyes narrowed, “We are nothing alike. You are soft and can’t kill anyone; not even yourself!” He said it as he ran towards her. Adaline lost her footing and fell backward into the water. The waves pulled her under as she slowly lost consciousness… 

February 25, 2022 19:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.