1 comment

General

Danny ducked through the hole in the old chainlink fence. He remembered how he used to sneak in the same way as a kid, carefully wriggling his way through so the guard wouldn’t hear the fence rattle. The hole was so big now he just had to walk right through. Didn't matter though, the place had long since been abandoned.

It was crazy how time had changed things. The once colorful amusement park sign had faded to the point of being nearly illegible, the old food stands were overtaken by weeds and field mice, and the rides had all rusted into brownish sculptures. It was so different from what he remembered. Where were the people, the vendors, the sounds of laughter in the air? How could time move ahead like this while he stayed in the past?

The setting sun appeared from behind a cloud, a large shadow covered him. The Ferris wheel. It towered over everything else, a massive silhouette in the distance. Danny walked towards it slowly. The metal giant, exactly as they left it. Its size only increased as Danny drew closer. That was one thing that hadn’t changed since he was a kid: the way it made him feel so small and insignificant. She was always the one that made him feel like he could conquer it.

Danny wondered if their mark was still there. Probably not. After all, everything else had gone to hell here, why should it still be there? He didn’t have high hopes as he walked around the side of the ride. Which is why his heart stopped when he actually saw it. 

It was exactly where they left it, one of the wooden beams of the platform. A shakily carved heart stood out proudly from the splintering wood. He could still read their names inside of it. Danny+Anny 1973.

Danny smiled and reached out to brush the names with his fingertips. 1973? God, had it really been that long ago? It didn’t feel like it. He still clearly remembered her gap-toothed grin, her mud-splattered overalls and little pink T-shirt, the way her blue eyes sparkled with excitement at the rides.

Kids. Just seven years old, but absolutely ten-thousand percent sure they were in love. Forever. That's what they pinky-promised. She even changed how she spelled her name “so they would match.”

Danny chuckled a little at the memory. Anny. What would she think if she could see him now? A yucky, wrinkly, old coot. That’s what they used to call men this old. He sure didn’t feel like one though. Thinking about her always brought back memories from his youth. Not all of them were good.

He sighed as he reached into his back pocket and grabbed his wallet. He pulled out an old newspaper article. It was a deep yellow color from the age and had been folded around in his wallet so long that it was breaking and cracking everywhere. It wouldn't last too much longer. Another sign he was doing the right thing. 

His heart sank a little at this thought, but he was determined. It had been too long. It was time to let her go. Danny turned his head up to look at the top of the Ferris wheel.

“Hey, Anny. It’s me, Danny,” he said gently. “Not sure you’d even recognize this old coot before you now. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here. Too long. Guess I couldn’t really stand coming here anymore after what happened, but I’m here now. I-I got something to tell you.”

The wind was the only response he got. Still, he felt suspense in the air, as if she were waiting for him to continue. He took a deep breath.

“I met someone,” he continued softly. “We’ve been together… Oh, I don’t know, a while now. She’s the sweetest thing, you’d love her too. Well, that’s why I’m here. We’re getting married soon. I’m probably long past due for it, but I could just never seem to take that leap before. I always had something holding me back.”

He looked down at the news clipping again. The yellowed paper spotted as tears dripped from his eyes. He reached up and wiped them, chuckling softly.

“Look at me now, Anny. A sentimental old coot,” he muttered, his voice choking off a bit at the end. “It’s hard. It’s hard to let you go finally. I’ll always love you Anny, but… it’s time. We’ll be together again someday. When that day comes, I just hope you’re not too mad at me for moving on.”

Again, the breeze was the only reply. Danny stared up as the seats of the Ferris wheel swung gently in it. The day was still crystal clear in his mind. 

They snuck in, same as always, made their way to the Ferris wheel, same as always, but something wasn’t the same that day. As the operator strapped them in, he didn’t hear the usual click the bar made as it locked into place. He didn’t think much about it at the time, he wished he had now. 

All the way at the top of the wheel, the world was spread around them. They could see everything for miles. Anny’s face glowed in the afternoon sun.

“Look, Danny! We’re above the birds!” She cried excitedly, pointing to a low-flying sparrow. “Isn’t this the best! It’s like we’re flying.”

She spread her arms wide, leaning her stomach into the bar. She turned to him and smiled. Then the ride started back up. The sudden jolt of movement shook the bar loose. Then she really was flying. 

Danny felt his silent tears turn to full sobs. He remembered her face as she fell. It was empty. Not shock, not fear. Empty. Because she didn’t even have time to realize she was falling before it was over. He sobbed loudly a few minutes, staring down at the news clipping again. 

Tears soaked the image on the paper. A sweet, young girl with a gap-toothed smile stared up from it. He read the words one last time: Annabell Grange, age 7. August 12, 1965 - July 22, 1973. 

Danny reached out and staked the paper on a loose nail next to their names. He wiped his eyes, still sniffling. It was getting dark. He stayed there until he could no longer read the words on the paper.

He started to walk back towards the fence. The ruins of the amusement park were only vague, dark shapes around him now. Looming ghosts. As he reached the hole in the fence something stopped him. A feeling, a presence.

He glanced back. Moonlight silhouetted the old Ferris wheel. In the shadow, he thought he saw a vague shape in the top seat. It seemed to be swinging back and forth in the breeze. He smiled as he saw it.

“Keep flying, Anny. I promise we'll fly together someday.”

July 18, 2020 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sherlock Holmes
21:51 Jul 29, 2020

This is a lovely story–'How could time move ahead like this while he stayed in the past?' is a hell of a line! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.