15 comments

Contemporary Sad

A/N: I don't want to include a spoiler, but you can read my comment on this story if you don't mind :)

The first time I saw her, I remembered nothing but blinding brightness and light. I was hardly a few hours old, swaddled in soft blankets, and brought to my older sister, Elaine for her to see. I was just getting used to the outside world, yet, I remember the smile that lit up her face when she saw me. She was only four, but she promised to be the best sister to me.

She was there for me from the very first second.

My older sister Elaina was my first companion

My first friend, my first secret-keeper, and my first partner in mischief

She'd always have time for me, even if it meant missing other things. She'd try to teach me how to spell different words, never losing patience even if I got it wrong.

"El-ai-nah." She'd say slowly, "That's my name, now say it: El-ai-nah."

"Ey-nah!" I'd squeal, but she'd still gasp as if I'd said it right, holding me close and exclaiming what a smart little sister I was. Then we'd both erupt into peals of laughter, rocking on the ground with joy.

Some of the best stories are told,

through midnight during sleepovers

Elaina took me to my first sleepover. She'd managed to sneak me into her friend's house without our parents noticing. I still remember all the fun we had that night. At first, I was intimidated by all the older girls there, but it didn't take long me to feel at home.

We watched one really scary movie, cowering inside blankets and peering through gaps in our fingers. Half of us screamed whenever it got too frightening and I think I wet myself a little. 

We spent the rest of the night  awake, whispering and giggling. It felt very important to be with these tall, nine-year-old girls while I was only five. By morning, I felt giddy from exhaustion but I didn't mind. 

Elaina took me trick-or-treating every year. The first time, I remember she was dressed as a vampire with sharp painted teeth and black robes, but I was a sparkly little fairy, complete with a silver wand and pointed shoes. All the adults cooed when they saw my cute outfit, and graciously handed us all the candy we wanted.

Elaina gave all my favorite chocolates to me so I could add on to my overflowing collection. She did that every year, selecting only a few, handing me the rest, and smiling to herself when she saw me squeal at all the candy I had.

I wish I'd given her some of my own candy in turn.

I wish I'd done my best to make her happier.

Ask me why I love baking 

Ask me a million times

But my answer shall remain the same.

It was only because of Elaina.

"C'mon, I'll show you how to bake." She called me over one evening when our parents were out, "I think you'll like it."

At first, eight-year-old me was a little skeptical. Why would a kid want to bake anyway? I'd often tasted what Elaina came up with, and her cakes always made me want more, but I hardly thought I'd be of any use in the kitchen. 

Elaina brought out all the ingredients and showed me how to mix the batter and whisk the cream. She told me that measurement was vital and all the steps needed to be followed with care. I helped her with a few things and watched in amazement as our batter solidified into a smooth golden-brown cake.

My sister let me taste the first bite and as the delicious cake crumbs unfurled on my tongue, a smile blossomed on my lips. She congratulated me on my first successful baked cake, but young though I was, I knew it was all Elaina's work.

If I consider myself lucky, it's all because of my older sister.

She was my guide, my mentor, my ray of sunshine.

"We're sorry, honey." Said my mother, "Your dad and I have pressing matters at work. We won't be able to make it to your play."

“But it’s really important, mom.” I said, my spirits sinking, “Are you sure you won’t be able to come?”

I spent the rest of the evening mooning about and thinking how all my friends would have someone to see them perform at our play, and I would be the only one without anyone. 

“I’ll come, Nina.” said Elaina, when she heard of the news, “I’ll be there tomorrow.”

And as sure as her word, my older sister was one of the first in the audience to arrive. She helped dress me up in my costume and put on my makeup, she made all the butterflies in my stomach go away, and I saw her beaming face when I appeared on stage to play my part.

I’m glad to say that the play turned out to be a success.

It all started when I was twelve.

As we grew older, something made Elaina want to escape home and be with her friends all the time. She barely came home, because when she did, she would always have a million responsibilities. I saw her friends a few times, and they weren't those friendly nine-year-old girls. They encouraged her to skip classes, cheat during tests and exams, and do far worse things. 

They were bigger, badder, and meaner, especially to me. 

"Who's that pipsqueak?" One of them asked when I had followed Elaina out one evening, "The little kid?"

"I am Elaina's younger sister." I had the audacity to say. 

"Clear off," said a second person, "This is no place for you."

"Yeah, run away, little kid." 

"And don't come here ever again."

I turned to Elaina, a ray of hope showing on my face, thinking she would defend me and tell me to stay, like all the times she had when we were younger. 

But she didn’t meet my gaze: “Go away, Nina.”

I didn’t move. Was it really my older sister, Elaina, telling me to clear off? Was it the same person who had taken me to my first game, my first sleepover, my first day at middle school?

I knew Elaina was getting influenced, but I was too afraid to tell her. No one showed her the right way, either. I wish I had gathered my courage and told her outright that she was getting worse. 

I should have told her then, when it still wasn't too late. 

But I didn't, and that was probably the biggest mistake I ever made. 

The older we became,

The further apart we grew.

I wish it had been the other way around

Elaina became sadder and sadder every day. She barely spoke to me, and even if I approached her, she would walk away. She quarreled more often with our parents, and I would sit in my room in partial darkness, sucking my thumb and waiting for the worst to get over. She got grounded more, but as she grew older, punishments weren't enough.

One day, our parents told her she'd have to move out.

"But she's only seventeen!" I said, "How will she survive out on her own?"

No one wanted to hear me out. They all thought Elaina was this uncontrollable teen, but I knew my sister better than that. 

Why do rainy days seem to hold all the sadness?

All the misery, all the darkness in the world?

Elaina moved out on a rainy day, taking only a small suitcase with her. She was to live in a lodging with a cousin a few miles away and attend university from there. My parents were stiff on her parting, but not me.

“Promise you’ll be in touch,” I said when the taxi came to pick her up, “Promise you’ll visit, call, and speak to me everyday.”

“I will, I will,” Elaina said, not sounding like herself. She loaded her bag in the trunk car and gave a little wave through the misty windows.

I should have called for her, followed her and pulled her back in. I should have refused to let her leave. I should have done everything within my power to make her stay.

But I didn't. I only stood motionless and watched as the car disappeared down the foggy lanes of the city. 

A few years went by, and we talked on the phone, but the conversations always lasted no more than a few minutes, and Elaina always seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere else. It simply wasn’t the same anymore. She no longer asked me how things were going on, and we no longer shared secrets. It felt more like a talk between strangers. It felt like something between us had been… shattered. 

Sometimes, you take things for granted...

The last time I ever spoke to my older sister was when we fought. A heated argument with words and insults flung at one another over the phone without mercy. I was seventeen, with high expectations, and she was over twenty, her life majorly unknown to me. 

I told her it was all her fault that our parents had to send her away, and she told me if I hadn't been such a big baby, perhaps she would have wanted to stay. I gave her a caustic retort and she returned with another. 

She told me she wouldn't visit us at home on her twenty-first birthday the next week and that she’d rather be somewhere else that day. 

"Fine, be somewhere else!" And I hung up on her, seething. 

* * *

It was an ominous night. I was all alone at home, staring at the darkness through the dusty windows. I didn't want to do anything else, because it was Elaina's twenty-first birthday, and she wasn't with me. I'd called her so many times, but her phone was switched off.

I paced the floor, my mind humming. Why wasn't she picking up? Why didn't she respond?

The sound of my phone ringing snapped me back into the present and I rushed to answer it, my heart thumping. Was it Elaina? Was she calling in to tell everything was okay? 

It was an unknown number. 

"It's the social services speaking." Said a voice from the other end, "Is this Elaina Martin's parent?"

"I'm her sister, Nina." I said. 

"It's about Elaina." Said the woman, and I think I heard her swallow.

"Yes?" 

"She's- she's dead."

...And you realize it only when you don't have them anymore

She was gone, just like that - a windy day, an outing with her friends for her birthday, her straying too close to the cliff, and slipping on a patch of moss… 

No one found her body.

I stayed in my room the next few days, a huge wreck. I thought of all the wonderful times we had had together, all the ways she had helped me growing up, and all the memories we had shared. 

I thought of the way we drifted apart and the way we had argued over the call that day.

I wish I had been better to her. I wish I'd given back all she deserved. 

I wish I had done everything to help her when things had gone downhill. 

But it was too late.

She was twenty-one years old

Her name was 'Elaina'

Elaina, which meant 'light'

She was the best sister I could ever have

But without my sister to guide me, there was no light. 

There was only darkness. 

May 03, 2021 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Aurora Spencer
13:54 May 03, 2021

Trigger warning: Sadness, mentions of depression and teenage influence. Type of story: One of my simpler ones, with very little research Time taken: Sunday and Monday My opinion: I've never, ever written a sad story before. This is my first time trying a story like this, and please tell me how I can do better the next time, if you have any tips! I also want to know if you felt anything while reading this? Now, I struggle with characterization, but it would mean a lot if you did feel anything while reading this story, and told me. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie June
17:13 May 08, 2021

Aurora this was beautiful; sorry I couldn’t get to it sooner! I shared in all of the sisters memories. I felt the happy and the sad ones. And the italicized prose lines? Loved them. It helped break the story up. I also liked how you included some dialogue, too which added variety between the steady narration. You know, Nina would be a great character to reuse in other stories. It wouldn’t necessarily need to be a sequel. It would be cool to see how she would recover after her sister’s death. (I clicked on the link in your bio. XD)

Reply

Aurora Spencer
12:47 May 11, 2021

Thank you so much, Jose! And no problem, I need to catch up on things too.😅 The italicized one was kinda sudden. I'd initially thought of adding the date as a heading before each part, but this suited the story better. I even tried poetry-prose once. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll see how the prompts come out so I can make a part two. :)

Reply

Valerie June
15:40 May 11, 2021

I have at least 5 or so stories (probably more) to catch up on so I feel you! I like the way you have it now but maybe in the future you could try that. Reedy's a nice place to "experiment" around with your writing. :) It doesn't necessarily need to be a formal part 2, you can just maybe reuse Nina in another story. Anyways, do you have any ideas for this week's prompts? And to answer the 'night owl' question in your bio, yes. That's happens to me ALL THE TIME and it's so annoying because I need to go to bed but my brain doesn't since the "c...

Reply

Aurora Spencer
12:46 May 20, 2021

Me too. In fact, I follow around 10 people but I still haven't read many of their stories. Hopefully I don't lag behind too much! Agreed! That sounds like a cool idea! I was thinking of a story but it didn't stand up really well, but I did write one this week. The prompts are all about Taurus, and you're a Taurus, right? Even if you aren't, I'm certain these prompts might just be easy for you to try :) EXACTLY. I literally try to fall asleep by 11pm but that's when my muse wakes up and I feel like scribbling a story or something. Sometimes...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aurora Spencer
13:24 May 11, 2021

(XD I saw this thing going around and decided to try one of my own)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
22:02 May 03, 2021

This really hit home. You said in your comment that it was your first time writing something emotional, but the way your writing flows so well...you're a pro at it! Your work breathed emotion and pain and I really connected with the characters. The thoughts also added to the overall sad vibe of the story. Amazing job. My heart is aching now for that sister.

Reply

Aurora Spencer
12:55 May 04, 2021

Aww thank you! I'm so glad I managed to write it well and you liked it. Thank you so much! I've always wanted to write about sisters (and if I do again, it's not gonna be sad!) because I don't have a sibling myself, and I wish I had an older sister. Also, from your bio, I believe in Magic, too!

Reply

14:08 May 04, 2021

No problem! I really did like it :) I'm so glad you believe in magic. We all need some of that in our lives. I have a sister, but she's younger than me. If you wouldn't mind, I would love it if you could check out my latest story. I tried something new with my writing as well, and I would love some feedback (It's my first official attempt at 'comedy')

Reply

Aurora Spencer
13:02 May 11, 2021

We all do! Aww, it must be nice to have a sister! :) Definitely; I love comedy and I'm heading to your story now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
21:46 May 07, 2021

This is such a beautiful and sad story. It really made me think of about how the people who we surround ourselves with can influence influence us. Beautifully written and a great read. Great job!

Reply

Aurora Spencer
12:49 May 11, 2021

Thanks so much, Arwen That's true! That's actually from my own experience when I was in 5th grade (when my friends made me get into trouble with the teacher and I never knew) and I'm glad I could add it to a story, Thank you! :)

Reply

Arwen Dove
01:08 May 12, 2021

:) Enjoyed reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:39 May 03, 2021

Okay, so obviously I felt emotions when reading this. I love how you kept it brief and abrupt with each sentence, almost jagged and deep hitting. It helped keep my attention the entire time and had me involved deeply within the story. And the thoughts invading the prose? Amazing. Great job!

Reply

Aurora Spencer
13:03 May 04, 2021

Thank you so much! That was my intention: keeping it concise so I wouldn't bore the reader. The same goes to the thoughts in italics. Awesome! Thank you once again, Ethan! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.