Under One Moon, beneath the Star

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

7 comments

Romance

I've always liked the night..its just something about that clouded night sky that makes my heart skip. And then there are the tiny sparkles that twinkle in the clear night sky. I smile upwards. There is no one here to disturb me, I don't need to act in anyway or impress anyone, because they are all in their homes, they wouldn't dare walk out here.

Usually when I tell others my love for the night..they have this look on there face..a look of concern asking whether I am okay. It's sad when others can't see the beauty in things because of their fear. But its natural, its human nature to fear things they can't understand and I once felt the same. I soon realized that people are most comfortable in the dark, they show who they are when no one is watching and they probably shine the brightest in the dark..its the truth and society have yet to realize it.

So I sit there outside on my bench looking upward at the stars. The moon shines brightly even in its slim banana form. I breathe out and my breath appears right in front of me..I clutch my coffee in hand and take one last sip.

"Where is he?" I mutter in annoyance. For me there is only one thing that scares me the most being out here, and that is the creepy men who come out at night looking for pretty girls to follow and traumatize. I was not cautious before, I stayed out with my phone turned off and I watched the night sky without a care in the world. But once I started walking I noticed a man with messy hair, dark blue shirt, in fact everything about him was dark and weird.

"Hey pretty girl.." he said with a smile revealing the empty tooth.

I smiled awkwardly and walked right by. I wasn't really a fan of being called pretty by strangers. I mean why would they call me that when they don't even know me. Eventually when they find out how I act they start making rude remarks..

"Why you in a hurry sweetheart? I a'int gone hurt you" *Burp*

I continued walking and before I knew it he grabbed my arm.. I grabbed my elbow and punched it into his face. But unfortunately he grabbed my other arm and somehow my other hand was in his grasp. "LET ME GO!" I scream.

"Stop yellin-" he said pushing me to the ground. I could smell his disgusting breath. "Get off me" I say in a lower tone now..as my cheek is being pressed in the cold concrete.

"I just told ya I A'INT-" before I could finish, someone pushed him off, because the weight on my back isn't so bad now. I get up cracking my jaw back in place. Two men fighting..but the one that saved me is on top..I get up grabbing my bag.

"Call 911!" the deep soothing voice said. "Right" I say looking in my purse for my phone. I turn it on.

"Did you do it?!" the man asks on top of the drunkard.

"Wait give me a minute- my- my phone is turning on!" I responded.

"WHAT!?" The man yells at me. "SO not only were you out here alone! But you shut your phone off! ARE YOU DUMB!"

"CAN YOU SHUT UP! I"M TRYING TO CALL THE COPS!" I yell angrily at the man.

"Yes hello?" I ask. "Um there's two men..and I- one is drunk.."

"TWO?!" The man yells at me. "I helped you..!"

"That's what they all say.." I mutter. "Yes I'm on Yellow park avenue..please hurry"

Soon enough the cops arrived and the drunkard was put in the back car, turns out he has a history of hitting females. And the man who helped me turned out to be a security guard at the job I work at..talk about awkward. He made sure I got home even though I told him no, but he ignored me and continued to rant about how I should be careful in the night, and I should be with someone.

"Imagine if I wasn't there" he said.

"Yes..yes thank you" I would respond.

"Are you even listening?" he asked.

"Yes..yes thank you" I said back not listening. He lightly tapped me on my head. "Star..come on this isn't a joke" he said crossing his arms.

"Listen.." I responded back with a sigh. "I am happy you were there to save me...and I do agree I was very stupid tonight..but I also do not plan on stopping coming to this area. I have heard your warnings and I promise to be more careful next time. I can walk the rest of the way back, thank you and I am sorry for the trouble"

"Then..." he says. "Can I accompany you during these hours, I mean- its clearly important to you..and you know it'd be troublesome if you died, and we work together..so uh-" he said that night. And that's how it all started..my meetings with the guy who saved me. Alex.

....

BUT he's late now..I bought him coffee and everything. I clutch my sweater and zip it all the way to the top. Alex is the only one who I can actually speak my mind too, I'm not sure why but we share some views..and he's nice and chill. Anddd why am I thinking about him?

"BOO" someone says grabbing my shoulders. I turn around and slap him in the face standing up. Turns out its just Alex..

"Don't do that!" I yell.

"Okay Starry..your hits are getting better" he says rubbing his jaw painfully. He's also the only one who calls me 'Starry'

"I don't like you.." I say slumping down on the bench. "Aw but you got me coffee" he says with that smile. I roll my eyes and give it to him..

"I'm sorry I had to take over an extra shift" he says taking a sip.

"It's fine" I say. "Hey lets take a walk" I say standing up stretching, my almost thin sweater exposes my stomach. I quickly put on a tank top..and some jeans because I thought I would be late arriving here..but hey turns out there was no need for the rush.

"What are you wearing?! Its like 30 degrees" he says.

"Ah well.." I start to explain, but he's already taking off his jacket. Typical.

"Wait no! I'm fine..I'm not even cold..I-" he pulls the warm jacket over my shoulders. Why is he staring so intensely..and why am I staring back..? He touches my face slightly and I can feel the warmth through his finger tips.

"Your face is cold though.." he says in a low whisper. "O-oh" is all that comes out my lips.

"You'll be cold if I take this.." I say with my heart thumping like crazy. "its okay.." he says letting go still staring.

I look down and pull it on. I don't usually like people doing things for me..but this tension is messing with my head. I hear him clear his throat.

"Lets go!" he says in a hyper tone. "Stop yelling.." I respond as we walk down the narrow side walk. His jacket is huge..and warm. I wonder why he shows up here everyday..for my sake? To protect me? I don't want him showing up because he feels like he HAS too, I know I'd be sad if he stopped showing up here with me on my late night walks, but I never even considered the fact that he might not want too.

"Alex.." I say his name softly.

"Yeah..?" he says as he takes a huge sip of coffee, he breathes out.

"You know..you don't have to show up here with me..." I say looking down at my 2 year old Uggs. My feet stopped growing a long time ago so I didn't see a reason to buy a new one.

"You don't want me too?" he asks slowly, cautiously.

"No..No I don't mean No..I mean yes I enjoy your company but I was wondering if you really wanted to come here.."

"Starry..you think I come here just because I want to protect you?"

"Yes..isn't that why this...started?" I ask feeling uneasy why do I feel like he's getting upset.

"Well yes..but no..ugh" he says pulling a hand through his hair frustrated. "I'm here cause I like being here...with you...." he says even slower than he did before. "Is that okay..or...?" he says meeting my eyes.

Ow..my chest kinda hurts. 'With you' GAH! when was the last time someone wanted to hang with me.

"Starry!" Alex yells snapping in my face. "Ah?" I say coming back to reality.

"I'm sorry if that made you uncomfortable..." he says stuffing his hands in his blue hoodie.

"No it didn't make me uncomfortable, I was just surprised..based on who I am and how I act..I wouldn't think anyone would like hanging out with me"

"Star...it makes me mad when you talk about yourself like that..and I can tell you mean it since your always so bluntly honest." he says with his eyebrows scrunching up in a serious expression. "You don't know how much you influence others, including me.. Your smart and you have a great insight on things people probably won't think twice off."

"I guess.." I say looking down at the concrete. I guess I've heard so many people talk so bad about me..that I started to believe it..now its like have no confidence when it comes to me.

"Okay..." he says thinking. He looks upward and smiles. "Tell me about the stars."

"Why?" I ask suspiciously.

"Just tell me about it..I want to know how you feel about them.."

"Well...everyone loves the stars..I mean who wouldn't and I'm not saying this because I was named after the name, they are so bright and yellow. But sometimes people don't appreciate what helps them shine like that, without that pitch dark background, no one would be able to see them. Stars are like people..nobody knows what got them to that point but when they shine like that..who cares, and eventually they themselves start to forget what got them to that point..their foundation..and eventually they disappear." I say..looking up at them..Ooppss I talked too much..I should apologize but he is smiling so widely.

"See!" he says shaking me furiously. "Your so amazing and it kills me that you don't see it! I mean who thinks of the stars like that.."

"My grandfather" I say. "He used to have all these smart remarks about everything about the night sky..and before I knew it I started doing them too."

"Well your grandfather must be very proud of you..." Alex says still holding on to my shoulders.

"Maybe..." I respond back.

"Maybe" he says mimicking me. "One day I actually want to meet him...your grandfather I mean."

"Why" I ask biting my bottom lip...with my side teeth.

"He sounds like a great man filled with wisdom, I just know I would learn a lot from him, just like you did."

"I'm sure he would have loved to meet you" I say quickly as I continue to bite down on my lip..I hope he gets it. My choice of words are in past tense..please catch on.. Don't make me say it.

"Hm..? Loved.....?" Alex says to himself. Then he quickly jolts and turns to me.

"Oh...Ohhh...ah Starry I'm sorry..I didn't-"

"Its okay...it was 2 years ago" I say with a slight nod of my head walking farther away. I can't cry..I don't want him to see me cry. Its been years since he left this earth..you would think I wouldn't tear up at the mention or even thought of him.

"Starry" Alex says grabbing my arm. Then he lets go and stands right in front of me with his arms wide open.

I raise my eyebrows at him..a hug? Why? for some reason..I just hate when people try to give condolences..I hate hearing 'I'm sorry for your loss' it just raises my anger levels. Because some people aren't even sorry they just say that so that they don't look like they don't care. And some people actually mean it..but what is being 'sorry' going to do. And now Alex is standing right here..lifting his arms trying to make me feel better and the only thing that floats through my mind and then through my lips is "Why"

"You took my jacket, and I feel really cold, maybe you can share your warmth" Alex says. I look up at him surprised..he grins at me.

"Oh...." I say feeling guilt. He's so considerate. I finally give in and hug him. Despite him using the excuse of being cold to comfort me..he's actually warm and I never realized home much I wanted a hug until I hugged him. "Do I possibly....maybe....like Alex" My mind asks my heart. My heart replies with butterflies that trail to the bottom of my stomach.

He pulls away. "We should probably get back.." he says rubbing his neck awkwardly.

"Right" I say touching my braided hair. I look at him..his curly hair, dark brown eyes. Dang it..I do.

"I like you" Alex's voice says, my eyes widen and I look up at him, he looks surprised himself.

"I'm sorry" he says pulling a hand through his hair.. "Don't run away Starry..." he says with a slight nervous laugh. "I was going to wait until you were more comfortable being around me. And ata better time... this was just a horrible transition, but I honestly do..more than I ever thought was possible. And I know you probably don't feel the same so uh don't worry, just wanted you to know."

He waits for me to respond but I just stand there. Surprised..I want to blurt out I feel the same..I want to say so many things. But I don't know how.

My eyes falls on the green grass and suddenly my legs move..I want to run in the grass.

So I pull away from his grasp and I run in the fields, as I hear him call my name. My adrenaline starts pumping and I run with all my strength. I feel my soul wake up..from its long rest..my bones ache and I start to remember how it was to enjoy myself. All these new feelings.

And suddenly I fall.. "Dang it Star, I told you not to run away!" Alex says or yells. He pulls me up. "I'm sorry, just forget I said anything" he says.

I place my lips on his and kiss him. He's considerate...and always has my back, even at work. He always catches me when I fall and doesn't judge me..instead he gives me advice so that I won't fall again. He asks me about my dreams and he tells me his. I feel him pull me closer and deepens the kiss. I pull away trying to catch my breath..he still holds me there. Waiting for me to explain.

"You told me you wanted to meet my grandfather, because he seemed like a great man..but your already so much like him." I say much to his surprise. I always wondered why I was so attracted to Alex, after all I never really enjoyed hanging around people, but it was different with him. I just didn't understand..but now I do.

......

I remember my grandpa's words, it was a night like this one. It was cold and freezing but my grandfather sat outside in the dark, and I sat right beside him. Hanging on his every word. That night he said something different from usual.

When you grow up Star, there will be many men hanging over you.. they will flatter you with compliments on your body and your face. I want you to separate yourselves from them, do not 'date' those men, they are filled with lust and will eventually leave. If they do not plan on marrying you then they are not for you..YA hear Star! Find a man who understands you and brings out the best in ya -kay! Find a man like ya handsome grandpa!

That night..I smiled and nodded, and this night I wear the same smile I did then, in Alex's arms. I promised grandpa I would. And I did.

I lay on the cold grass staring up at the grass with Alex..he's holding my hand and I feel so warm. We look up at the moon..but I realize now, The moon watched me then and it still does, it lit up my path, and the Stars are shining and glisten like glitter. But I, the claimed 'lone' Star shined the brightest.

July 21, 2020 22:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Phebe Emmanuel
07:31 Nov 23, 2020

I just want to say I didn't read it, but it's a little sad that this only has 4 comments and 27 likes. Though Reedsy was pretty small at this point I guess...

Reply

Yeahh this was one of my favorite story- I like how it was written. But yeah it was, and I didn't really have the support I have now. But now I have yall so its fine!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
16:21 Nov 23, 2020

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:45 Aug 31, 2020

Ugochi hmm? Want to bet I can't pronounce the name? This is a beautiful story. I love the dark too, though I tend to lean toward the macabre at times. However, I can't help liking the simplicity but firmness with which the girl asserts herself and ultimately earns the respect and love of a deserving man. Now... Just some grammatical issues... missed, I guess. Write more!

Reply

A bet huh? Sure..I'm broke thoughπŸ˜‚ Thankkk youu, your actually the first to comment on this storyπŸ˜…. And yeah I made the character surround something I would want from a guy.. I searched up macabre, and wow thats darrkkk! Can I ask why you like it?? But thankkk youu!

Reply

22:42 Aug 31, 2020

Hey, thank you for the bright reply! Well, I like to challenge myself. What others fear and dread, I yearn to face and test. In a way, I equate fear as part of life's experiences.

Reply

Thats an interesting take on life..good luck on your mission!😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.