Maleficent's Revenge

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

"We may each bless the child with one single gift." Merriweather said. She rolled up her sleeves and wielded her wand high. "Sweet princess-"

The doors to the great hall blasted open. Green fog poured into the hall, but floated out of the room just as fast.

Through the fog, I could see the dark fairy. The familiar black horns stood out very much.

I felt Chance pull me closer. He knew who she was, too. For he had rescued me from her. I had been guarded by Maleficent and her unstoppable thorn bushes, and he had rescued me from all of them.

But it was not fear radiating through my bones, it was hope. Hope that It was all just some big misunderstanding, and that was all. But no matter how much I hoped, I knew it couldn't be. Someone cursing a baby could never end well, no matter what happened.

"I do hope I'm not late." Maleficent's icy voice said. Her words sent shivers running down my spine.

But I wasn't scared because I was seeing my childhood nemesis, I was scared of the reason why she cursed me. I pulled away from Chance and walked to her. "Why have you come here?"

"I want revenge." She answered. I caught a glimpse of her. Her face was the same as I remembered, same fluorescent hue and bright green eyes.

"But why did you do it in the first place?" I asked. I felt Chance grab my hand. I looked to him and whispered. "Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. Maleficent may be harmful, but not to me."

"But what if something happens to you? Aurora, a Queen is the most important position in this kingdom. I can't let that happen again." He asked. "Aurora, I was separated from you once, I don't want to be apart again."

I sighed. "I would rather something happen to me than my kingdom. Chance, I love you. Just... protect Amelia. Please, don't make this any harder then this needs to be. And also, Chance, I wasn't asking for your permission to speak with her."

He nodded. "Fine. I trust you." He let go of my hand and I walked to Maleficent.

"Come, walk with me." She said. I led the way out of the grand hall. We exited the palace and began to walk among the palace gardens. Painted arches went over the path, with blue flowers growing up them. The sun was just starting to set. "You know, I wasn't always like this, Aurora."

"I know." I said. "But why? How did you turn into this?"

She sighed. "A man. He was in love with me, but then he fell for my sister. Your mother. They were married a few months later."

"And so you cursed me, thinking it would be enough for you to not be miserable, anymore." I filled in the blanks. "Why ever you did it, I forgive you. And, I'm sorry my mother ever did that. And... it's okay if you want to take my life as your revenge."

"Why would I do that?" Maleficent sighed. "I suppose it is time I explain."

"What do you mean?" I asked. Was there more to this story then I had been told?

"You roamed the forest all the time, I watched over you, and we became quick friends." Maleficent explained. "When you turned sixteen, a boy began visiting our forest, Chance, you fell in love and were meant to find each other. I felt sorry for you, and not wanting you to suffer as I did when he left you for someone else, I cursed you. I figured that if he woke you, then you were meant to be.

Of course, me cursing you only made Chance love you more." She continued. "

I shuddered, remembering those days of endless silence, nothing to tell me when the sun rose or when it set, just total oblivion. Cold, unstoppable oblivion. "Maleficent, I forgive you, but this will be harder to forget. You could never have any idea what I went through in my sleeping state."

"We had better be heading back to the palace." Maleficent said, probably not wanting to get into detail and to spare her from being guilty. She began walking in the direction of the palace.

"Yes, but I have one more question." She turned back to me. "In the palace, you said you wished for revenge, but who are you going to take it out on?"

She hesitated. "I don't know, but I was thinking your father." Those words sent ice down my spine.

"No, Maleficent, you can't." For the first time in my life, I yelled. "Kill me or kidnap me or curse me. I don't care, just don't hurt anyone in the kingdom, Godmother."

Maleficent smiled. I looked at her, confused. Why ever was she smiling? She had just threatened my father! "I think that's the first time you've ever called me 'Godmother.'"

I smiled. "Let's go back to the palace." She nodded and I grabbed her hand, glad at least something was going right today, or at least somewhat so.

As I walked forward, she stayed behind. "There is... more to the story. You see, I fell in love with you. When I cursed you as a child, I had no idea she would become like family to me. Phillip wasn't the one who woke you. I was."

I sat on a bench that was close by. "Why has he never told me this?"

"I told him not to, there would be a perfect time and place to, and I would say when that was."

In the palace, Chance asked, "Darling, what is going on?"

"When she cursed me, it was all just a misunderstanding, Chance." I explained, smiling. "Oh, and how come you never told me you weren't the one who woke me?"

He smiled sheepishly. "Maleficent told me not to. She begged me not to."

I smiled. "Now we can really have a happy ever after. All of us."

May 10, 2021 13:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.