0 comments

Horror Historical Fiction

CW: violence, death

     It was 9:51, April 14th, 1912, on the unsinkable Titanic. Dinner parties were well into their festivities, the lower classes were partying everything off in different bars and restaurants, and Sophi Goldstein was about to make the biggest mistake of her life.

 

     After her sister Trisha had been killed in a fire that also burned down their tailor shop, Sophi had wanted a new start outside of France. So she followed the popular trend and decided to make the voyage to America, the Land of the Free, where she could have a brand new life. Sophi would stay with her cousin Demeter for a little bit, then start out west for California, where she had heard there were countless opportunities. She was extremely proficient in English, and had enough money to last half a year. Sophi was confident and prepared for any hardships and dangers she would face in America.

 

     But Sophi never expected to face any troubles on the ship to America.

 

     Uninterested in the parties that the rest of the second class passengers were into, Sophi was having a quiet night in her room. Reading books, writing some letters to Demeter, and looking at the photo of Trisha that she had managed to save from the fire that took her life. It was the only thing that Sophi had salvaged from the ashes of their tailor shop.

 

     Yet Sophi never once turned it around to see what was on the back of the photograph.

 

     Little Trisha Goldstein isn’t completely gone just yet. If you want to see her again, go to the storage room on the Titanic at 10:00 P.M on the 14th of April. You can reunite with her there. —U.T.

 

     Ecstatic and overjoyed over a chance to see her sister again, Sophi didn’t doubt the message once as she rushed towards the storage room of the Titanic. It was 9:56 already. If she hurried, then Sophi could make it to the designated location in the nick of time.

 

     Sophi burst through the door leading to the storage room at exactly 10:00. 

 

     Holding a lantern, Sophi had cautiously navigated past rows of trunks, crates, bags, and even a coffin or two(not gonna question what those were doing on a ship), searching for anything that looked remotely like her beloved sister Trisha. 

 

     After several minutes of desperate searching, Sophi stumbled upon a figure standing by a wall, her face towards the wall. She was wearing a plain white dress that was stained with a little soot here and there, and had long, pale brown hair. Sophi sucked in a joyful breath. Trisha had the same pale brown hair. Was this really her sister?

 

     “Trisha?” Sophi whispered, desperate hope slipping through her voice. “Is that really you?”

 

     The woman stiffened at Sophi’s voice, and slowly turned around. It was then that Sophi noticed that her skin was several shades paler than what would be considered normal, and there were pale…lines? Going across her arms. Her face was the same stark white color as the rest of her skin.

 

     And her eyes were nonexistent.

 

     Sophi let out a mixture between a scream and a gasp. Her eyes widened, her heart beginning to pound unimaginably fast. What in the name of hell was that…?

 

     The woman had Trisha’s face. Trisha’s nose. Trisha’s lips. 

 

     But her eyes…

 

     There were none.

 

     Dark, empty sockets glared at Sophi venomously, as the…the creature let out a low moan. Sophi stepped back, her body trembling. This wasn’t Trisha. This was a beast. A monstrosity. 

 

     Sophi let out a horrified scream, and ran towards the exit as fast as her legs would carry her. She heard a loud moan/scream from the monster behind, and the sound of clumsy and uneven footsteps thudding against the steel ground. Sophi zigzagged through the piles of trunks and baggage. She could already see the exit…

 

     THUD.

 

     …

 

     SCREEEEEECH.

 

     Sophi froze yet again as the ship began to shake, an ear-piercing screeching sound filling the air. But it wasn’t the sound that a person or creature could make. No, it sounded more like…metal colliding against another surface, getting torn up and broken.

 

     No…

 

     There was no way.

 

     The Titanic was unsinkable!

 

     “ARAGH!!!”

 

     Sophi let out another muffled scream as the creature lunged for her in her moment of hesitation. Without sparing another second, Sophi raced out of the storage room, shutting the door behind her. She pulled out her pocketwatch, and checked the time.

 

     Her eyes widened.

 

     11:42. 

 

     How could it be? Sophi had entered the room at 10:00 sharp. At most, her search, discovery, and chase would have lasted 20 minutes. How could it be nearly two hours since she went in?!

 

     There was a loud pounding at the storage room’s door, followed by a loud groan. Sophi gasped sharply, and continued to run away from the storage room of horrors. She had to get on deck, and figure out what was going on. Had they hit an iceberg or something? Would the ship sink?!

 

     Sophi made a quick pit stop at her room, planning to pick up some essentials from there, if they really needed to evacuate into the lifeboats. But she stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the photograph on her bed.

 

     It was of the Trisha imposter. The one with stark white skin, sewn together flesh, and the empty eye sockets. She was lunging towards the camera, her mouth wide open and her fingers twisted at an awkward angle. With shaking hands, Sophi picked up the picture and turned it around.

 

     So you’ve reunited with your sister, eh? I don’t think that she’s very pleased that you left in such a hurry. But you’ll apologize for that soon enough. Because Trisha’s looking for you as we speak! —U.T

 

     Sophi threw the picture down into the floor, and fled from her room in a rush. But she had barely turned the corner when she ran right into the imposter Trisha.

 

     Red clouded her vision and pain blinded her nerves as Sophi Goldstein fell to the hands—well more like teeth—of an unspeakable devilish monster.

 

July 18, 2021 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.