A Modern Nightmare

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story in which the same line recurs three times.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

   The bikes hung from the ceiling by chains that were attached to metal racks. Josie looked up at the bikes hanging from the ceiling as she walked in the warehouse to the bin that held the merchandise that she needed to put on store shelfs today. When Josie arrived at the bin, she spied seven boxes of merchandise that needed to be put on the shelf, complete with signage. Josie climbed the ladder and began to take boxes off the top shelf and put the boxes onto her cart. As Josie worked diligently to put the merchandise onto the cart, the store manager walked by. The store manager was busily talking on the walkie to a store employee. All the employees were connected to each other via a walkie. No one was allowed to be left unconnected.

Josie continued with her work until her cart was full of the needed boxes. Josie pushed the cart down the warehouse tunnel. With merchandise stocked ceiling high on both sides of Josie, and with lighting provided by the florescent bulbs, it seemed like a dark tunnel indeed. As Josie walked out into the store, Josie was immediately assaulted by the loudspeaker which announced: “We have the COVID vaccine available today to any of our customers, free of charge. Just come to the pharmacy and speak with a technician. Again, the COVID vaccine is available free of charge to anyone in the store. Just visit the pharmacy and a pharmacy technician will administer the dose. Free of charge.”

As Josie walked to her assigned store shelfs, she looked for the stampede that was heading toward the pharmacy for the “free” vaccine. She encountered no such stampede and continued to push her cart towards her destination. Josie maneuvered her cart around store employees and the boxes full of store merchandise that they were assigned to stock, as well as customers who seemed to roam aimlessly through the store aisles. 

Josie arrived at her assigned workspace and moved the cart into place to be able to put up the appropriate signage. The signage read in big, bold letters: Stock Up Now. This sign was placed before a cheery background of black and yellow. As Josie was putting the finishing touches on the sign, the loudspeaker erupted again. “Get your free COVID vaccine at the pharmacy today. Anyone is eligible to receive this free vaccine. Get the free vaccine and keep your family and friends safe. Visit the pharmacy now to receive this free vaccine.” Josie again waited for the stampede of feet to move toward the pharmacy. As Josie stood on the ladder, she neither heard nor witnessed a stampede of feet. She did hear a customer below her ask a question. “Honey, do you know where the fans are located?”

Josie looked down at the customer and replied, “Yes ma’am, the fans are located three aisles down on the right.” Josie pointed in the general direction and the customer thanked her and left in pursuit of a needed fan. Josie stepped down from the ladder and began to open boxes.   As Josie stocked the shelves, the loudspeaker began its’ repetition again. “The COVID vaccine is available today free of charge to anyone. Visit our pharmacy section today to receive the free COVID vaccine.”  Josie ignored the loudspeaker and continued to stock her shelves.  A customer saw Josie and asked her where the picture frames were located.  Josie pointed the customer in the right direction.

After two hours of stocking shelves, Josie checked her watch. It was time for her lunch break. As Josie was walking towards the back of the store where the breakroom was located, a customer stopped Josie to ask if the store had any screws or nails. “Yes ma’am. The screws are located over in the hardware department in the far corner.”

As the elderly woman was thanking Josie for her assistance, the loudspeaker came on. “Get your free COVID vaccine at the pharmacy today. Anyone is eligible to receive this free vaccine. 

Get the free vaccine and keep your family and friends safe. Visit the pharmacy now to receive this free vaccine.”  The elderly woman shrugged with disgust as her words had been drowned out by the loudspeaker.  She turned to head toward the hardware department and her planned purchase of the day. Josie continued her short journey to the break room. 

As Josie sat and ate her lunch, she considered the work that she had already completed and the work that she still needed to complete before being allowed to leave for the day. Then her thoughts turned to her daughter, Angie. Angie was six years old and had childhood diabetes. Angie had suffered from childhood diabetes since she was a year old. Her pancreas had simply stopped working. It was a terrifying trip to the emergency room for Josie. Little Angie was wrapped up warmly and fastened into her car seat.  After a harrowing 30 minutes in the emergency room, it was learned that Angie’s blood sugar was at 750.  Angie was life flighted to Vanderbilt Hospital with Josie in the helicopter with her. While at Vanderbilt Hospital, Josie learned to care for Angie’s diabetic needs. 

It was then that Josie’s reverie was interrupted by the store loudspeaker: “Get your free COVID vaccine at the pharmacy today.  Anyone is eligible to receive this free vaccine. Get the free vaccine and keep your family and friends safe. Visit the pharmacy now to receive this free vaccine.”  Josie looked at her watch. It was time to return to work.

After another three hours, Josie had completed putting all the merchandise on the proper shelves. She stood back and looked at her finished product and thought that she had done a good job. The product had been placed in a way that would be appealing to any customer, even customers who did not have this product on their shopping list. 

Josie began to push her cart towards the back of the store where the warehouse was located. As she entered the warehouse, no one was in sight. Except for Josie, the place appeared to be deserted. Merchandise was still stocked to the ceiling on both sides as Josie returned the cart to her bin. Florescent lighting was blinking above Josie’s head. The bike racks still hung by chains. Empty carts sat next to boxes of merchandise. As Josie opened the door to exit the dark tunnel created by boxes and boxes of merchandise, the loudspeaker erupted one more time: “Get your free COVID vaccine at the pharmacy today. Anyone is eligible to receive this free vaccine. Get the free vaccine and keep your family and friends safe. Visit the pharmacy now to receive this free vaccine.”

July 08, 2021 15:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.