Perilous Times Shall Come

Submitted into Contest #129 in response to: Set your story in a snowed-in chalet.... view prompt

73 comments

American Speculative Fiction

When the end came, it was the people in the cities who suffered the most.

Barbeau lay low on the snowy roof of the abandoned ski chalet, focusing his 10x50 binoculars on the great plumes of black and gray smoke spiraling from the general direction of Washington, D.C. It appeared Interstate 66 was still blocked heading west. Exactly who had commandeered the roadway—Barbeau couldn’t hazard a guess. But the ice and freezing snow were making passage all the more difficult for them. 

He stoically watched a steady stream of heavy military transports plow eastward into the besieged nation’s capital. They had been the only vehicles on the road for days, and he briefly wondered which of the six service branches they served. After the hotly contested 2028 presidential election, none of the military forces remained united. Instead, their generals backed any one of a number of juntas that sprung up like hydra from the three remaining political parties, all vying for scraps of power. 

Now is the winter of our discontent, indeed.

For Barbeau, the end had been expected ever since the federal court system had its judges announce their partisanship at swearings-in. Traditional black robes had been replaced by boldly colored ones, officially declaring federal judges’ political alliances. The majority of Supreme Court justices had adopted vermillion robes with Crosses of Saint James embroidered in black along their sleeves. The minority jurists impotently sulked in their indigo robes, politicking about better days, which no one believed would come. 

Under the new normal, Barbeau knew that the protection of the law would wholly diminish as individualism and violence increased. His hunting knife and trout lines were no match for the weaponry of rogue military groups, but he had made preparations for all sorts of eventualities.  

In the end, it’s always tribalism, Barbeau mused, shifting a bit on the roof to get a better view of the procession as it neared Haymarket. He watched out of curiosity more than anything else. As a former high school history teacher, he had a pretty good idea what the end of an empire looked like and what the near future would entail. Chaos. Reruralization. A return to tillage, herding, hunting, gathering—and communal living, assuming starvation didn’t turn the remaining populace feral. 

It would be a while before there was peace in the valley. Maybe a year. Maybe longer. Maybe never. 

After the fall of Rome, it took nearly 700 years for the west to reclaim the necessary political stability and economic complexities that made cities thrive. His students were always shocked to learn that civilizations could regress, and dramatically so. Whenever a civilization decayed from within, it collapsed—quickly—like a rotted tree under the slightest duress. 

In one of his many PowerPoints, he’d shown bored 17-year-olds what happens when governments lose the ability to regenerate and progress: civility ends, culture disappears, and order ceases. They regurgitated his bullet points on his written exams to earn their passing grades, but did they truly understand that every kingdom started and ended the same way? They were getting a front row seat to the contractive phase of an empire now, he bitterly laughed. 

Muffled reports of gunfire were heard as a phalanx of unidentified vehicles attempted to intercept the military convoy. Through the binoculars, Barbeau placidly watched a military vehicle unleash a number of MK19 grenade machine guns, launching numerous 40 mm grenades which exploded on impact, neatly affecting all within a five-meter radius. This far into the 21st century, his former high school students could not convert millimeters to inches or meters to miles. But he conceded they were right in the end—at this point in human history, knowing how to convert such arcane measurements wouldn’t have made much of a difference in their lives anyway. 

He sat back on his heels, making a note to check his trout lines before heading back to his bunker, nestled deep in the bowels of the former lodge. Barbeau had squatted in the abandoned ski resort in Linden ever since the global depression hit in late 2026, just after the hospitals and public schools closed for good. Seven years of relentless pandemic variants had taken its toll, spiking unemployment to 34%, a number much higher than even the darkest days of the Great Depression. 

He remembered teaching his AP United States History students about the implications of the Dirty 30s, the lessons an advanced civilization should have learned, the failsafe measures that governmental officials should have implemented, the personal civic responsibilities that citizens in a democracy should have taken. Using outdated and somewhat biased textbooks, Barbeau had tried to convey what even historians from antiquity had known—the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse travel together: war, famine, plague, and death

“Men’s hearts shall fail them,” he remembered his grandmother grumbling while they watched the national news together—before all media had merged into Meta. Before she died, his grandmother had attended Mass every day, sitting on an empty pew, her prayer beads worn down by her worries as she entreated a God to intervene in a world gone mad. His mother had rolled her eyes, muttering about dangerous superstitions and opiates of the masses, but Barbeau had found comfort in his grandmother’s faith. 

Barbeau noted the military caravan carried on from the thwarted attack, eventually moving entirely out of his view. He put the binoculars back in their case, clamoring back down from the roof to the main floor. 

“I found walnuts,” a young girl said to him when he returned, motioning to a small pile. She had been using one of her boots to crack the walnuts open, extracting the nut meat with his hunting knife. The clever girl had already gathered wood for a small fire to heat their water.

“How did you find so many?” he smiled, pleased with her resourcefulness. 

“Squirrel tracks in the snow,” she replied matter-of-factly. “And the trout lines were empty.” 

“Then we’ll have walnuts and some apples from the cellar for dinner. That sounds like heaven to me. Now, what story should I share with you?”

“Romulus and Remus,” she replied, just as expected. 

He nodded. Retelling the tale of two orphans suckled by a she-wolf was his granddaughter’s favorite myth, and empires had been founded on far less. 

 


January 17, 2022 01:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Jamie Gregory
15:26 Jan 22, 2022

Deidra, I'm jealous of your ability to pack so much into such few words! I was scrambling to trim 500 words out of my latest story to stay under the maximum word count (that seems to be a common struggle for me). You took this prompt in a very clever and unexpected direction. You really painted a bleak picture in this story and it's scary to think that you described a reality that may not be too outlandish. I loved the comparisons with older fallen empires. I'm not well versed in military topics at all but those elements of your story felt...

Reply

16:38 Jan 22, 2022

Thanks for the kind words. Always fun to write dark once in a while. Keep a version of your "extended play" stories! Reedsy lists a lot of other contests with longer limits; you may also want to sign up for https://manager.submittable.com/signup (free) -- Submittable aggregates contests from around the world. Click on DISCOVER to find endless places for your wonderful writing.

Reply

16:40 Jan 22, 2022

Here is a list that Reedsy cultivates as well: https://blog.reedsy.com/writing-contests/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Paul Brown
21:37 Feb 11, 2022

Great story Deidra, lets hope its not a premonition, I've got my bow in the attic just in case. I just hope I don't have to eat my goldfish in the pond, I've been told they don't taste great. Squirrel tracks in the snow is real genius 10 out of 10 for me.

Reply

22:17 Feb 13, 2022

Hopefully (!) not a premonition. Let's see how the midterms elections go. I don't know of many history teachers that are this badass. Now English teachers...they are all Boudiccas and would easily survive the zombie apocalypse, quoting Shakespeare all the way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
20:29 Jan 28, 2022

Hi Deidra! I am a newbie judge and I was wondering if you can explain to me how you got to the Submissions Dashboard from the Contests page. (I saw your name under Judges.) Thanks!

Reply

23:05 Jan 28, 2022

Hi Scout -- Click on the arrow by your name. You should see "Submissions Dashboard" After that, it's VERY easy to navigate. If you have problems, email me lovegren.deidra@gmail.com and I'll give you my phone # and walk you through it. Judging is wonderful. I really like it :)

Reply

Scout Tahoe
23:19 Jan 28, 2022

Thank you! However, I still can’t get there. Click on the arrow my my name where? Where is my name?

Reply

23:35 Jan 28, 2022

Your regular Reedsy account. Logon as usual. Your first name is next to the bell on the top toolbar.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
05:44 Jan 29, 2022

I see! Ah, thanks a million.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
22:25 Jan 26, 2022

Killed it!

Reply

14:21 Jan 27, 2022

All of it?

Reply

Dustin Gillham
20:56 Jan 28, 2022

I loved it, D.

Reply

23:03 Jan 28, 2022

All of it? ;)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
19:51 Jan 29, 2022

You know I'm not the one to be critical just for the sake of being smart. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. My favorite line was the last.

Reply

20:39 Jan 29, 2022

Huzzah :) Hope spring eternal!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Winston
10:41 Jan 26, 2022

Wonderfully written Deidra! It has a realistic feel within such a limited scene, just someone staring out at a menacing portion of the world, contemplating all the lessons in history that were ignored by simple-minded leaders. It's unconscionable, yet here we are. There was an eerie resonance with a series I began in 2018. In it, my characters world had collapsed beginning with plagues in 2020 which continued until 2025, along with weather catastrophes and wars (Ukraine?) but by 2026 - the year you describe hospitals and schools closing - ...

Reply

14:35 Jan 26, 2022

That's incredible. Wow, Sarah. I hope your predictions for a new Age of Aquarius start earlier than later. I've always thought that majoring in history should be required for all governmental leaders. It would save us all a few wars...

Reply

Sarah Winston
15:13 Jan 26, 2022

Absolutely. It boggles the mind, the thinking on the Hill. It's exasperating. Your story captures exactly how I feel, see things. Thanks for bringing it to fruition!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Winston
04:57 Feb 28, 2022

Regretfully, it looks like it's starting later rather than sooner. Can you believe what is now happening in Ukraine since Thursday??? And today Putin announced his nuclear arsenal is readied and on High Alert. He seems more than ready to activate devastation, all because he knows he is old and is going to die one day soon anyway. His full psychopathy is on full display.

Reply

16:50 Feb 28, 2022

Actually, I can believe it. Putin has been picking up spare territories without restraint (Crimea?) This is just Act 5 of Macbeth, as Shakespeare taught us how all dictators go out: isolated, abandoned, fearful, and crazy.

Reply

Sarah Winston
23:30 Mar 01, 2022

He's on that brink, alright. Glaring madly into the abyss. Let's hope his Generals take him out. And I don't mean for dinner and a movie.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathy Olson
02:30 Jan 26, 2022

I appreciated the way you tied your ending into your first line. This piece circles around nicely, and while the beginning and middle are so weighted with fear and despair that I wasn't sure if I could go on reading, the ending is masterfully peaceful, gently releasing your reader with hope. Favorite phrase - "her prayer beads worn down by her worries"

Reply

14:19 Jan 26, 2022

Wonderful comment -- and any structure is purely accidental. :) I am too unsettled to ever plot out a story, and I strongly admire those who can and do. You phrased the ending so well -- "gently releasing your reader with hope" -- that is just lovely. Alexander Pope writes: "Hope springs eternal." I hope he's right :)

Reply

Kathy Olson
04:43 Jan 27, 2022

Deidra, so true about hope. It scares the oppressors more than anything. Hope and words are the most powerful weapons, as you know. ;) My stories are also "organic," spinning to life out of nowhere from my generous muse. I love my messy process and wouldn't ever change it. I am not a fan of books on the craft of writing, which tell us how to write. Loath them actually. I hold my process close and guard it fiercely. Best to you. I look forward to reading more of your work. I just discovered this place and am overwhelmed by the talent of the ...

Reply

14:47 Jan 27, 2022

I had to laugh about your comment on "How to Write!" books. Those who can, do. Those who can, write self-help books. There are SO many talented and generous writers on Reedsy. If you are interested in joining a smaller critique group, email me. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
18:24 Jan 25, 2022

Shades of Margaret Atwood. That certainly is a bleak future. I loved the line “Squirrel tracks in the snow,”. I couldn't help wondering how you knew that. ;-)

Reply

19:25 Jan 25, 2022

I spent my childhood running through the icy woods in Virginia...the best of all possible childhoods. Lots of squirrels. Lots of tracks.

Reply

19:28 Jan 25, 2022

How about coming to talk about books and writing on a very laid back podcast? https://www.readlotswritelots.com/wp/ Russell Norman (from Sydney) and I talk to writers from around the globe. We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Reply

Michael Regan
00:32 Jan 26, 2022

Thank you - that is a very flattering offer. I have listened to your podcasts, I don't think I am anywhere near the level of your guests. I am, however, trying to 'up my game' and have enrolled in English 207 at the local college. Thank you again - that made my day

Reply

Russell Norman
10:24 Jan 26, 2022

There is no level. Anyone who is on a writers journey is welcome on our podcast.

Reply

Michael Regan
15:49 Jan 26, 2022

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Heather McGuire
17:33 Jan 25, 2022

Such an excellent story! A fascinating commentary on so many different things at once, that came together in such a clever way. I loved the history teacher, weaving the past to Barbeau's present, a not-so-distant future. Really well done!

Reply

17:52 Jan 25, 2022

Thanks, Heather! I had no idea where I was going with this -- but Barbeau was interesting to listen to. I'm a pantser instead of a plotter... I just conjure up these people and hope they take me somewhere intriguing. :)

Reply

Heather McGuire
18:04 Jan 25, 2022

Well he definitely took you somewhere interesting and you did him proud! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ambassador Rose
03:48 Jan 24, 2022

Nice commentary from the not-so-distant future. This read a lot like historical fiction to me, which is not my personal favorite, but your writing is smooth and thoughtful. Nicely done!

Reply

16:57 Jan 24, 2022

I appreciate your kind comment. Thanks for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:22 Jan 22, 2022

This story is very riveting and kept my attention. It is dark and I like the history teacher perspective about civilizations. Seems like man is the "virus" that ultimately destroys himself with a lust for power, money and food but they are not trying to look after their fellow man but always themselves. We were lucky to have the Greatest Generation but I do fear that the soul of patriotism is rare. Not like in the 1940's where boys would rush to enlist to defend their country. Citizens would do without so the soldiers could have decent food ...

Reply

17:28 Jan 24, 2022

What a great comment. I can see that Barbeau's world resonated with you. I'm thinking he'd be a great character to follow in a longer work? I have taught high school seniors for the past decade. Without a doubt, I can say that every year the kids get better and better. Just wonderful people! There is a rising generation coming up who are good and noble and very, very smart. Better days are ahead :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Sadler
17:58 Jan 22, 2022

Fantastic storytelling, great attention to detail without being verbose, and I agree with those who say you packed several separate ideas into a short story without being clunky - it all fits very well together. Great work!

Reply

18:04 Jan 22, 2022

So glad you enjoyed it. Mid-January seems the perfect time to write an end-of-the-world story. I'm hoping this isn't the zeitgeist for 2022 😨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Okashi Kashi
17:52 Jan 22, 2022

Whew. I thought this prompt was set-up perfectly for a mystery story, but then you just go and throw it on it's head. So much detail, so little words. I'm beyond impressed.

Reply

18:02 Jan 22, 2022

Thanks, Omar :) Wasn't sure where this was going when I wrote it -- but sometimes the characters just take over. Barbeau was fun to write. I may revisit him again -- badass history teachers are amazing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
01:22 Jan 19, 2022

Not what I was expecting, I'll give you that. I also love the name Barbeau and how it rolls off my tongue and lingers there. Like Sharon mentioned, it was a nice touch when Barbeau was thinking about his students during "The End." Also, the granddaughter bit at the end was cute and throttled my heart. Only spelling error I found: vermilion -> vermillion (2 L's) (I assume you're talking about the color) Great read!

Reply

01:33 Jan 19, 2022

A million thanks for fixing vermillion. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Harris
07:43 Jan 18, 2022

Such an unusual take on this prompt and the near-to-real detail immersed me in the times immediately. I loved the detached view of the violence and the thoughts about the students, even when the world was imploding. The balance at the end with the close and personal gathering of walnuts brought their survival into shocking perspective in, somehow, a comforting way. Truly clever writing:)

Reply

15:42 Jan 18, 2022

Thanks, Sharon! Your analysis is far better than this piece. I wasn’t sure of my throughline, but I am fond of walnuts 😃

Reply

Sharon Harris
16:40 Jan 18, 2022

Mmm, not sure about walnuts. The dry skin on the wrinkles get stuck in my teeth :)

Reply

16:52 Jan 18, 2022

That is why God invented floss (as in dental floss. I'm pretty sure the devil invented the floss dance move.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bruce Friedman
01:26 Jan 18, 2022

Wow! You were brave Deidre to go in this direction. First, you stumped me about the six service branches. I had to look it up -- Space Force. Second, why did you pick the Crosses of St. James for the Supreme Court robes on the right. Finally, you blew me away with "before all media had merged into Meta." I presumed that the Founder was dangerous but not necessarily to this extent.

Reply

15:38 Jan 18, 2022

Brave? I think you misspelled “bored.” Hahhahaha I do have my personal reasons for St. James cross, best left in my head. In hindsight—I doubt Space Force is terrifying the citizenry…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon Casper
23:48 Jan 17, 2022

Oof. I feel like I need a Valium after reading this prophetic vision! It does feel like we are headed towards a not-too-different future from Barbeau's world -- and in around that same timeframe. The worst is the helplessness the average citizen has to halt the tidal momentum of this decay. Very different story from your latest work -- and I enjoyed it tremendously, as uncomfortable as it was to read.

Reply

23:51 Jan 17, 2022

It can't all be sunshine and bunny rabbits, JC. This was the MOOD for mid-January. I was ready to purge a big pile of bleak from my skull. I do like Barbeau. History majors are my favorite people to talk with. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phil Manders
13:50 Jan 17, 2022

This one needs to continue. “Linden, Virginia” Am I going mad or is your comma in the wrong place?

Reply

14:12 Jan 17, 2022

City, State It does look awkward. I’ll take out the state. I do like this Barbeau character. History buffs intrigue me and are the only ones I’ll talk politics with. They know the past so well that they can predict the future.

Reply

Phil Manders
16:37 Jan 17, 2022

🤦🏼‍♂️That’ll teach me for trying to be clever.

Reply

16:42 Jan 17, 2022

No no no. You made a good point. The state was clunky. The entire piece was a little clunky, but what the heck :) I always love when people read my clunk, especially those I consider friends. YAY

Reply

Phil Manders
17:17 Jan 17, 2022

😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Russell Norman
10:54 Jan 17, 2022

Deidra "Nostradamus" Lovegren. 😎. I can sense a longer works coming on.

Reply

15:40 Jan 17, 2022

I'm just getting warmed up for MW. For stories this week? I'm dropping the charming dialogue for some stone cold dystopia. Honestly, I think that is how it usually goes in real life, too. :) You are the King of Red Arrows. Point the way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
06:00 Jan 17, 2022

Hey Deidra! I really loved your story even though this week's prompt was a little difficult for me. I still loved how you conveyed the words and how you made it futuristic. Thank you Deidra for sharing a wonderful story!

Reply

15:41 Jan 17, 2022

I agree, Shark. The prompts were tough. I'll zip over to see how you did :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samantha Jones
20:09 Jul 09, 2023

I loved the way you included a discussion about the fall of Rome and showcased how that could happen today. Even without knowing all the details you can get the gist of what has happened.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.