0 comments

Crime Fiction Fantasy

Ritual Rings

Everything was ready for the ritual until trouble found its way to the ritual.” Reports Merrill Brillcrek to General Gander a female leonine provost marshal that leads Elves-Ward. “What happened, Merrill?” comments the female general

“This is what the report claims?”

Elves-Ward

The fall harvest and Hallow's Eve celebration was going on in the fall months of Jordero. Merrill, Ariel, Jerrin and Anya walk the streets in their Hallow's Eve garb of traveling

clothes and backpacks. Bruenor decided this fall with some family back at their home in Fort Kapaka.

Elves-Ward has a typical fall harvest festival as several elves march through the streets in costumed garb. “Ariel, the Elves share the fall harvest once again for great consideration and celebration to Chauntea and his fall harvest.” comments Merrill

“Why are people dressed up in costumes?”

Jerrin takes over for Merrill, 'Rumor claims that a group of elves were attacked by members of Lolth and Bane but were saved by Kemerovo and his knights. Only a rumor but since that day Elves-Ward and other areas in Jordero celebrate the fall harvest with a Hallowed Eve celebration.”

“Funny how things bring out Kemerovo who is the god of lighted undead. Wouldn't you say Merrill?” comments Anya

“Anya, I feel such things are okay but it is weird.”

A pale elf hawker greets the party as he cooks some apples and dragon fruit over a open fire. The smell of cinnamon, nutmeg and other cheery spices bring people to the Elf's shop. “Greetings and Happy Hallowed Eve folks, care to try my baked apple and dragon fruit dessert. Some of the spices are rumored to bring out the inner drive of men and women if you get my eye.” Comments the Elf as he winks the couple.

“Sure why not have not had these in years.” Comments Jerrin as he passes a change pouch to the pale elf. Jerrin than shares the fall harvest dessert with his friends.

“In the distance a small group of children in costumed garb approaches the pale elf. “Hallowed Eve Merrick, can we have some of your fancy desserts?” questions a small elf girl dressed in a fairy outfit.

“Certainly my little fairy and Happy Hallowed Eve.”

Merrill and the others continue their visit in Elves Ward. Chomping on both the baked apples and dragon fruit. “This is so much better than my time in the hell, its wonderful to see kids and people smile, Merrill.”

“It is only one of the better holidays we celebrate here in Jordero.”

In the distance voices scream in the back alleys of Elves-Ward. Merrill and Jerrin look at one another and head in the direction of the screams of fear followed by their girlfriends.

Arriving in the back alley the heroes spot a elf woman playing at a ritual table before a crowd as things go sour. The team arrives spotting the elf woman trying to scare off a group of gremlins attempting to ruin her stage show. The gremlins carry the four breath weapons known in history from fire, ice, steam and smoke. Each gremlin has wings and uses it in their favor against the woman. One strikes and digs into her basket going for the treats in the basket.

“Get Away from me, gremlin.” comments the orange haired half-elf female in Autumn dress.

One of the gremlins smirks at her and says "Ever want to know what a gremlin can do to you half elf.” comments the ice white gremlin.

“She probably is still solid in her breeches.” comments the mist colored gremlin.

The remaining gremlins laugh their wicked theatrics at the woman and the crowd who now runs looking for the Elf Watch.

“Hey smart-asses, let a real woman show you what I do to gremlins.” Comments Ariel as she spreads open her wings and approaches with her noted weapon a Chambray Staff.

“Well loo-key here boys its the princess who has a high price on her. Lets take her back to her daddy and get paid for it.” says the blood-fire gremlin .

“Why not.” comments the other gremlins.

The gremlins change their attacks and go after Ariel and her friends. Releasing their breath weapons on them.

Merrill and Jerrin block the attacks with their mystical shield while protecting their girls.

Merrill raises his voice and yells back at the half elf and any remaining crowd members. “Take

cover people!” Jerrin holds his shield blocking the breath attacks from Anya and Ariel.

The gremlins regenerate their deadly breath weapons as Merrill and Jerrin draw their weapons.

Anya reaches for a scroll in her quiver and starts chanting a few words. Ariel strikes her staff

against the cobbled ground and releases a blast of energy at the gremlins.

The gremlins stand in a time stop spell as Merrill and Jerrin use silver tipped weapons against the

gremlins. Merrill swings his mace while Jerrin strikes with his bladed scimitar. Two of the gremlins go down but the remaining two take flight. Anya and Ariel release a series of spells from their staff and hands targeting the remaining gremlins.

The remaining gremlins hold their ground and star to sweep in an attempt to capture Ariel but she turns her hand and release a smiting white blast from her hands. The gremlins vanish from sight and Merrill and Jerrin make sure the two dead gremlins are indeed dead. A whistle is blown as a pair of watch arrive and look over the situation. The lead watch a woman looks at the heroes and shows a look of law and order in her pale eyes. “What is going on here?”

Merrill steps forward and speaks to the authorities. “Judicar Brillcrek, this woman was fully around with something and four gremlins appeared and the gremlins attacked her. We just stepped in to help her.”

“Does the Judicar speak the truth half elf?”

“Unlawful use of magic is prohibited in certain areas of Elves-Ward. Especially if it is you a half elf.' Comments the male elf as he attempts to swing his Billy club on the woman but is quickly intercepted by Jerrin. “Just what the hell are you doing officer.”

“Her kind is not allowed to use magic inside the gates.”

Jerrin takes the Billy club away from the elf and places it on fire. “And being a lawman you do not beat up an innocent half elf who was only trying to make a living. So back down or I will contact Provost General Grander.”

The male watch starts to reach for his sword but is stopped by his partner who is the senior of the two. “Back down Terran, I'll handle this. You have been out of line since consuming some elf mead. Now back up.”

“As for you elf I should arrest you for interceding in a watch patrol. But since your buddy is a Judicar, I will hold my manner. Please get out of here before I change my mind.” she turns to Merrill “Judicar, I need you to fill out some parchment the watch station is two blocks of west of here.”

“As for you Millay, take your puppet show somewhere else. We don't want another incident.”

“Thank you corporal.” comments the small half elf who starts to put her puppets away. The showers start to open up above them.

Millay starts to walk away with a limp in her legs as the heroes watch to exit the zone. Ariel and Anya walk over and start to talk with the young disabled woman. “What's that all about, Merrill?”

“I'm not sure.” As Ariel returns to join her husband and friend.

“Merrill think we can bring Millay with us.' comments Ariel with her seductive Succubi eyes on Merrill.

. . “I'm not sure why Ariel but if you wish to bring her back with us. I will talk to Grander and get the proper forms cleared for the young woman to come back to Fort Kapaka since the rules and regulations are different here in Elves-Ward.

“Thank you Anya and I want her to be our student this Hallowed Eve.”

“I'm not going to ask why but I trust your instincts.”

On those words Merrill and Jerrin head to watch patrol headquarters. The two get hard looks from the watch staff. The Corporal signals them to enter her office. Terran sits in the lobby with his watch goons and gives the two an unfriendly stare.

“I take it word got back here pretty fast, Corporal.”

“Terran has a lot of influence on the watch in this region so yes there are some unhappy watch members.” .

“He should be on suspension, Corporal. Who knows how long he terrorizes innocent half elves in town, “ inquires Jerrin

“My thought exactly but he has wealth that overlooks law and order.”

“I will bring it up to General Grander, Corporal.” inquires Merrill

“There is a lot of corruption in this part of Elves-Ward, Judicar but I am just a humble corporal in the watch.”

“Let me see what my friends, can do to help out, Corporal.”

“Much appreciated.”

Present Day

Merrill sits across General Grander sipping some hot tea. About the events the previous day.

“So this character known as Terran has been abusing his power in Elves-Ward. And there is a lot of wealth behind the corrupt actions of the city watch, am I correct, Merrill.”

“Yes and the ritual was a simple puppet master bard who hits the wrong spell bringing in a group of gremlins who work for my wife's father Grazz't.”

“I'm not going to ask how you and the Succubus met but maybe we can work out a new job opportunity to clean up Elves-Ward. Would you be interested in leading an anti-corruption watch in Elves-Ward.”

“I'm listening.”

The End 

October 26, 2021 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.