Signs in the Clocktower

Submitted into Contest #103 in response to: Write about a character looking for a sign.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Friendship Romance

Dong

The first chime from the clock tower rang out bright and clear, nearly shaking the walls of Cora’s room so she could feel the rhythm under her feet. Pulling out her phone, she let the voice recorder app suck in the sounds, until she could play them back out her room, just as loud and powerful.

Cora scrolled through her recordings, playing ones of significance, comparing them to each other. The clock tower made a happy bellowing sound, as it groaned under the weight of a large marble block being added to the top of it’s tower. Cora flicked her phone off and grimaced, carefully watching out her window as the construction workers shouted commands at each other, sweat dripping down their foreheads. 

Ever since the clock tower began it’s renovation, troubling signs had been gathering. The clock tower had always given Cora a feeling of safety, it was a place that all the worldly beings agreed upon. However, that feeling had recently begun to twist up. Cora suspected that the marble statue was far more controversial than her father, the clocktower keeper, let on. 

As usual, she checked her star charts, cleaned her instruments, and polished her crystal ball, before crossing her legs on the cold wood floor of her room and opening a large print book with a flimsy cover. The title was written in a clean, bolded font. Astrology: The study of the stars. Opening up to a page, she silently read down the page, making mental notes about the history of palm reading, before closing her eyes, setting her wrists onto her knees, and meditating. 

Meditation, according to her book, was an important part of getting in touch with her chakras, and absolute silence was required to achieve an open mind. However, today as soon as she closed her eyes and let out a relaxed breath, the I Phone nestled in her lap started to buzz, tickling her toes.

Cora's eyes snapped open.

“Can’t a girl get a minute of quiet?!” She yelped, squeezing her phone’s power button with her fingers. The home screen glowed into place, with two new notifications.

Dad: I’ll be home late today. Tell your mother.

NEW VOICEMAIL FROM +1-527-816-8283

Cora thumbed in her password and clicked on the voicemail, still grumbling.

“Hey,” The boy’s voice on the other end of the line was squeaky, like a newborn lamb’s. Cora stifled a laugh, picturing a scrawny boy, half her size, with a face full of pimples. “So I made an appointment yesterday, and I just wanted to remind you. If you don’t respond, I’m just going to show up at one o’clock, okay? Yeah, uh, bye. Like I said before, don’t tell anyone about this.” Cora yelped, her phone shooting out of her grasp. Oh no! She scrambled onto her bed, looking out at the clock looming out above her. One o’clock! 

But it was fine. Hopefully her client had a record for tardiness. Darting around her room like a cat, she started to stuff dirty clothes into her hamper and make her bed all at once.

Ding-dong. 

Yikes!

Cora slammed her closet door shut, hoping that whatever was in there wouldn’t fall over, and raced to the front door, praying her mother hadn’t heard the doorbell ring. Of course, the stars weren’t in her favor. What else could be expected, from all the negative energy being emitted from the marble statue?

“Mm, who are you, again?” Her mother didn’t look too cheery about having a stranger in her doorway.

“Micah, I talked to Cora on the phone? About my appointment?” Cora nearly went scrambling back into her room. She had expected a stupid, scrawny boy, who could barely pull a C home from class. Not the school’s number one football player, standing in her living room, decked out in his football uniform, complete with the helmet perched on his head. Darn it. She should’ve asked his name, or his occupation, or something. Cora started to bite on her nails.

“Cora!” Her mother yelled. Unlike Cora, her mother had not been gifted by the stars, and had no way of telling that Cora was only a few feet behind her.

“Sorry, Mom.” Cora looked down at her sneakers. They were painted bright pink. So not cool. Was Micah judging her? Her face started to burn as her mother shooed Micah out of the house, slamming the door in his face. She didn’t look too happy.

“Cora, I thought I told you to stop inviting strangers to our house! We have enough to worry about, with your father’s job-” Cora’s heart skipped a beat.

“Dad’s job?” Her father had been the clock tower keeper as long as she could remember.

“No, no.” Her mother squeezed her forehead, like she was getting a migraine. Her mother had been getting a lot of migraines recently. “Dad is fine. Just, please tell this boy to leave. I’m going to lie down.” Mom’s voice spurred out of energy as she staggered back into her bedroom, tiredly. Cora felt her bottom lip tremble, slightly, but she opened the door, anyway. Micah was still waiting outside, covered in sweat. Probably from football practice. Cora wrinkled her nose. Ew. 

“You’re going to have to go home, now.” She mumbled, avoiding Micah’s eyes. “Bye. Have a good day, I guess.” She started to slink back into the safety of her house, when he reached out a sweaty palm to keep her outside.

“No. I need help. And according to the poster out in front of the school, you’re the person to talk to.” Cora shook her head, ready to say something about needing to organize her star charts, but something stopped her. How could she turn away someone so desperately in need of her help? 

“Okay, fine. Let’s go to the clock tower, then.” With a quick shuffle, she closed her front door, trying not to think about the fact that her dad was probably at the tower, too. Was he still working there? Or had he been fired? How could she not have noticed? Cora shook her head. Maybe she had been too caught up in looking for signs in the stars, she had missed the biggest one in front of her. She desperately hoped that Micah would be silent the entire time, but of course, that didn’t happen. Being the captain of the football team meant having prevalent social skills. 

“So, you’re the psychic girl from school, hm?” Cora looked up.

“Hey!” She snapped. “If you have a problem with it, why did you come?” Instead of huffing and making some sort of snarky remark, like Cora had expected, he put his hands out apologetically.

“Gee, sorry. Didn’t know you took such offense. So, why the clock tower? I know your Mom kicked us out or whatever, but couldn’t we just go to a place closer to… civilization? Or is it because your Dad is there?” He wasn’t really taunting her, just stating a fact, but hearing it riled Cora up. Who was he to judge? So she stomped to the clocktower, ten paces ahead, without saying another word. Up the stairs that smelled like cake batter and cigarettes, into the big room that displayed the enormous clock hands, with a big wall-to-floor window in front of the clock, so that the time was visible for the whole town. Cora put her hands on her hips so that she could give herself a moment to take it all in. Every cog and screw, turning like it was supposed to. She thought about what her dad said everyday after work.

 “A tiny screw doesn’t matter, when it’s in a box with a hundred other pieces, but once it’s put into the clock, it becomes important. Worthy. Once it broke, or malfunctioned, everything was over. The whole thing would come crashing down. Kind of like people.”

“So, are we just going to stare at the clock?” Someone in the doorway asked. Micah. He had taken off his football helmet so that Cora could see his curly hair, but she instantly looked back at her shoes, because looking at his face made her feel weird.

“No, come on.” She stomped into the janitor’s closet, which was slightly bigger than a refrigerator, and pulled out a big book she had hidden between a couple of brooms. No one ever came in here, making it the perfect hiding place. Micah followed her in, closing the door behind him so that they were both squeezed together in the room. Cora felt her breath quicken as she turned on one of those fake candle things that had a luminescent orange lightbulb perched onto a plastic cylinder, because her parents weren’t okay with her handling matches.

“So.” Micah wriggled in his spot, looking at the light. “What are you going to do? Bust out a third eye?” Cora shot him an annoyed glance.

“No.” Instead, she wrapped her fingers around his wrist and brought his palm out for closer inspection. Hm, very interesting. After referring to her book a couple times, she started to nod.

“You’re… privileged. Strong. Not very intelligent, hm, I’m guessing you aren’t too great at math?” Micah’s face turned red. “Don’t worry, you’re going to have a prosperous future. However, you’re missing something in your life. And I’m guessing that’s what you’re here for?” Cora didn’t mention that he may have been blessed by the stars. Because she didn’t want competition in the astrology business. Or at least, that’s what she told herself. Micah shrugged.

“Yeah. But how’d you know all that about me? I mean, I guess some of it is true. Like, the strong part.” He started to flex his muscles.

“I don’t mean your biceps.” Cora gave herself a moment to make an ew face. “You have mental strength.” Micah’s face grew red again.

“Oh, yeah, I didn’t mean to-. Darn, forget it.” He put his face in his hands. “Just tell me what to do.” Cora crossed her hands over her chest.

“Well, what’s your problem? What’s been bothering you?” She asked. What could kids like him possibly still need? Micah started to scratch the back of his head as his face started to flame a furious red. 

“Oh, so it’s kind of about a girl.” He stammered. Cora started to feel a chuckle tickle her throat.

“A.. girl?! Oh, wow, mister muscles. Why are you so nervous about a girl? She’s not a devil! What kind of person would say no to the Captain of the football team? I bet you already have a ton of fangirls simping all over you!” Cora started to laugh, and not just because the whole thing was stupid. Because crushes were so simple. They were written in a person’s fate. 

“Stop laughing, you idiot!” He scowled, pinning Cora down with his wrists. She kept laughing.

“Gee, I’m sorry. I just never pictured you all tuxedo-d up, sweating, nervous if a girl might like you! Who is it?” Micah settled down on his haunches.

“I’m not going to tell!” He yelped.

“Aw man.” Cora started to shake her head. “Have I ever met her?”

“Yeah, sure, I guess.” He shrugged, before pulling on his football uniform. “It’s complicated. Anyway, just tell me if there’s anyone interesting in my future?” He offered Cora his palm again. With a reluctant sigh, she started to trace it, checking in on her guide every few moments, even though she was trying not to snicker. Seriously? A girl?

“How much longer?” Micah grumbled, making a fist with his hand.

“It’s a delicate process.” Cora huffed, before tracing another line and checking her book. Micah started to squirm.

“Can you get on with this? We don’t have all day.” He growled. Cora sighed.

“I am done.”

“Great! So what do I do?” Micah asked. He wasn’t grinning.

“A sign is going to appear in your future.” Cora whispered, slowly turning the plastic candle off. To add to the effect. Micah groaned.

“What does that mean?”

“You’ll see.” She whispered, walking backwards so her voice would fade out. But something was in the way. “WOAH!” Her heel slipped into a box of nails, as her body tripped backwards, her head banding against the shelf of tools. Ow. She squeezed her big toe, which was spurting blood, and rubbed the top of her head, searching the ground for fallen nails.

“Are you okay?” Micah asked, his eyes wide, as he started crawling over closer to the shelf,

“Yeah, fine.” She muttered, getting to her feet, only to fall back down as muffled voices appeared at the door.

“-I don’t have a choice, Andrew! If the budget fails, who do you think the town will look at? Me! Their mayor.”

“Hey, who’s-” Before Micah could finish his sentence, Cora pressed her hands against his lips.

“Shut up and listen.” She growled. “My dad’s out there.” The name ‘Andrew’ sounded familiar.

“-Then take down the statue!” A man yelled. Cora held her breath.

“That’s my dad.”

“I’m sorry, Andrew.” The mayor’s voice boomed. He sounded almost kind. But Cora’s blood began to boil. “But I have no choice. The statue is my response to the public outcry that I have been doing nothing! This clocktower is old. Maintenance is expensive. And it’s taking up too much of the town’s money. With a new tourist spot-”

“-Wait, does that guy want to get rid of the clocktower?” Micah asked, pulling Cora’s fingers off his mouth.

“I told you to shut up! This is important.” Cora didn’t want to admit it, but her fingers were shaking. Was her dad really going to lose his job?

“-The town will soon forget about this place, and we can allow people to-” The voice drowned out again as the mayor and Cora’s father walked away from the closet.

“C’mon. Hurry!” Cora wrapped her palm around Micah’s wrist, before putting a finger to her lip as she slowly cracked the closet door open and scanned the hallway. 

“What’re we going to do?” Micah asked. Cora closed her eyes, pressing her head to the side of a door, hidden in the edge of the hallway. Sure enough, there were voices.

“-I’m sorry, Andrew. Pack your things”

“But-”

“My decision is final. I’m so sorry. ” No. Pack your things? Nonono. Cora dropped to her knees.

“Wait, what just happened?” Micah asked, crouching down to peek through the crack between the door.

“-Alright, alright.” Cora’s dad said from inside the office. “I’ll go.” There was a shuffling sound as he walked around his office for the last time.

“Hide!” Micah whispered, shoving Cora’s body against the wall in front of the door, pushing a firm hand against her lips. When her dad opened the office door, he sighed, hunching over his cane, before hobbling down the narrow hall with a stuffed briefcase, without noticing the two bodies behind him. Cora knew that it was full of screws, bolts, blueprints, and expansion designs. Her father’s pride and joy. A small piece slid out of the briefcase, clinking on the ground, but he didn’t notice. He just kept sliding down the halls, with a disappointed expression on his face. The mayor followed him out, with a small smile etched into his white lips. Cora felt her heart sink into her stomach. The tears started to spill out of her eyes.

“Hey.” Micah turned his gaze towards the fallen screw. “Does he need this?” Cora pulled her red eyes away from her hands and looked at the screw. It was actually two screws, stuck together with copper wire.

“Doubt it.” She muttered, pushing a tear away.

“Then I think this is my sign.” 

“What?” Cora looked up in confusion.

“You said I’d need a sign. Isn’t this it?” Cora was about to push him away. Yell that none of it mattered. Tell him to get out. Scream. But before she could, a gentle hand wrapped around her shoulder.

“Cora, you’re the most amazing person I know. I really, really like you a lot.” Micah’s voice was warm, like honey on Cora’s ears as she sat up in surprise,

“What?” 

“No fangirl could ever match you.” Cora took a deep breath. What? She was Micah’s sweetheart?

“But do you really like me? Or is this a prank?” She stuttered, suddenly feeling warm. Micah took her hand into his and touched her fingers to his lips.

“It’s always been you.”

“Me? But, I'm just the crazy psychic girl from school. You’re like the most perfect kid ever. Why, why-” Micah put his finger over her lips.

“I don’t really know why. I just always thought you were… cute.” A little smile made its way to Cora’s mouth.

“I really like you too.” It just popped out of Cora’s mouth, and for a moment, she wondered if it was true. She hadn’t felt warm or funny whenever he had walked by. But inside, she couldn’t help thinking about his big green eyes. His contagious laugh. It made her feel lighter. Like a balloon. Micah smiled.

“Huh, that was easier than I thought. Your psychology is right. I just needed a sign.” He whispered. Cora looked up.

“Psychology?”

“Yeah. You’re a psychic, right?” Cora rolled her eyes.

“How did you pass grade one?” She asked. But it wasn’t mean. It was playful. Micah snickered. “It’s called astrology.” 

“Well, how are we going to use astrology to fix this?” Micah asked, gesturing to the office. Cora shook her head.

“We don’t need astrology. We just need the inside of that desk.” She slid the office door open, and started to pull open the mayor’s desk.

“Are you sure this is legal?” Micah followed her in. 

“Nope. But you heard the man. He plans on closing the clocktower down. There has to be something illegal in that.” She pulled something out of the drawer. “Aha!” Micah looked down into the desk, skimming over the page.

“Perfect.”

July 23, 2021 23:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lee Kendrick
21:42 Jul 31, 2021

An interesting story. Good characters. At times difficult to read with some of the dialogue mixed in paragraphs. Better to do all dialogue separated so it is clearer who is talking. Also vary the length of your paragraphs,try not to do long ones . Split them make them smaller. I feel you have what it takes to be a good story teller. So as you learn keep writing those stories. But concentrate on remembering to separate your dia!ogue. The reader can then easily interpret who is talking! Good luck in your story writing Lee Kendrick

Reply

Karma P
23:16 Jul 31, 2021

Thank you so much. This comment means a lot to me, and I'll try to improve my dialogue. I REALLY appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.