That Darn Heather

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Romance

What bothered her most about the way Sean was talking to her was the smile on he had on his face. No compassion whatsoever and he spoke casually like this breakup wasn’t any kind of a big deal.

“I mean, you’ll be good,” he said. That smile. He was breaking up with her. There shouldn’t be anything funny about it. “I’m sure once you get out there and start dating a bit you’ll have fun and actually enjoy it.”

She could just play it off the way he was and act like it was no big deal. At least she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of knowing he was hurting her. But it wasn’t supposed to be like that. This wasn’t some game, this was their relationship and they both should value it. She could feel the tears in her eyes. She knew he saw them and had no reaction to them.

“I won’t enjoy it,” she said to him. “I just want to be with you. We cuddled together, Sean, and said we were going to love each other forever. Have you forgotten those moments and conversations? Did they not mean anything to you?” Sarah loved those moments. They made her feel so great and made her feel like he was the one she wanted to be with forever. He still smiled at her like those things meant nothing. 

“That’s the kind of stuff you say when you’re with someone,” he said. “You find a new guy you start dating, you’ll be saying the same kind of stuff to him in no time.”

She was breathing heavily through her nose. She had been madly in love with him for months now and was desperate trying to do anything to keep him but it wasn’t happening. He kept talking about her dating other people which led her to believe that he was doing the same. And she knew who it was.

“It’s Heather, isn’t it?” she said with an accusing and almost vicious tone which just got another chuckle out of him. “Are you going to start dating her?” He laughed like he had been busted. He didn’t have to say more but he began talking anyway.

“I mean…” His uncomfortableness about the situation made Sarah livid. He clearly knew he had done something wrong and he didn’t care. “She’s a cool girl. We might hang out.”

Sarah felt her fingernails digging into her own palms as she made fists. Heather. She had been flirting with Sean nonstop knowing he had a girlfriend. Why couldn’t she go flirt with one of the many single guys that were out there? Heather. Sarah had seen the flirting and had trusted her boyfriend, thinking he meant it when he said he was going to love her forever. Now there was nothing she could do. Heather. That little bitch.

****

Heather looked pretty unemotional about what was about to happen. Sarah’s hope would be that Heather would look afraid. She knew that was probably wishful thinking but she thought at least that Heather would look angry herself as the two of them were about to throw down.  But Heather just looked casual like the whole thing was no big deal.  For Sarah it was a big deal. It was her only way to get revenge on Heather for what she had done. Maybe she could even win Sean back after she beat Heather up. If not, hurting Heather would be satisfactory enough for her at this point. She looked at Heather who kicked off her flip flops and stood there in her cute little bare feet – she was ready to fight.

Sarah charged at Heather with the intention of taking her down. She was taller for a 24-year-old woman at 5’9 while the 23-year-old Heather stood at 5’3 so she thought she’d easily be able to take her down. But when she grabbed her she was surprised at Heather’s strength as well as her aggression. They tussled for a bit with Sarah unable to take her down. Heather was fighting hard and feeling the physical force she was using was upsetting Sarah and hurting her a bit.

Heather became too much for Sarah as the shorter girl pushed her forward and then took her to the ground. Sarah felt her back hit the grass hard and when the back of her head hit it really shook her up. She tried to push Heather off of her but she was flustered and Heather was too strong to push her off of her when she was pinning her down.

Trapped underneath her, Sarah had no choice but to look up at the girl who had stolen her boyfriend and now she was getting beaten up by her, unable to do anything about either. She watched Heather wind back her fist and then saw it come forward. She was too slow to do anything about it and Heather’s fist hit her right in the face. She had never been punched in the face before and it felt like the worst thing that ever happened to her.

The pain started in her cheek where she had been hit then spread throughout her head. Never feeling anything like that before, tears immediately started coming down her face. She didn’t want to fight anymore and she didn’t care that she had lost her love. She just wanted to be away from this girl.

But Heather had other things in mind. She wound back again and gave Sarah another devastating punch in the face. Sarah never wanted to be away from something so badly but Heather’s butt and legs held her down strongly and she was too shaken up from the punches to even try and fight. 

Another punch came in and connected. Sarah was screaming as she cried. She covered her face with her hands to protect it and turned her head to the side, trying to bury it in the grass to avoid any further punches. Heather helped her out by rolling her over so she was face down. 

Now that she at least didn’t have the threat of another direct punch to the face scaring her, Sarah got a little confidence to try and get up but Heather sitting right on her butt made it so that couldn’t happen. She felt Heather take control of her arm, completely helpless to do anything about it from the position she was in. Heather jacked Sarah’s arm up behind her back in a chicken wing showing no mercy on her.

“Ahhhh!” Sarah screamed.

The pain was awful and with Heather continuing to add more pressure on her arm it felt like she was going to break it. While this wasn’t quite as bad as the punches she had taken, the feeling of powerlessness she had in this position was even stronger. With the punches she at least had the option to try and protect her face but with Heather forcing her arm up her back the way she was and already lying on her stomach, she felt even more helpless to stop her. All she could do was lie there as the girl that stole her boyfriend bent her arm in a way it wasn’t meant to be bent.

“Please!” Sarah begged as she tapped out on the ground with her free hand wishing she had just peacefully allowed Heather to take her boyfriend and didn’t try and interfere. “Please stop Heather, I can’t take it!”

She couldn’t see Heather so all she could do was feel the increased pressure on her arm, which felt like she wasn’t going to be able to use it for at least a few days after what Heather was doing to it, and hope that Heather would be nice enough to let her go before she made it worse. Unable to do anything, she just lay there crying, as Heather did whatever she wanted to with her.

Heather finally let go of her arm and even though the pain didn’t go away at all, Sarah felt a bit relieved. It appeared this wasn’t yet over, though, as Heather sat up just enough to roll Sarah back on her back and Sarah’s body just flopped like a rag doll as she did. Heather sat her butt down on Sarah’s stomach, lifted her legs, and put the bottoms of her bare feet right on Sarah’s face, completely covering it.

If before all of this happened, Sarah had been asked to describe the most demeaning thing that could be done to her, she wouldn’t have been able to think of something this bad. She lay helpless on her back trapped underneath the girl that took her boyfriend from her, too weak to try and get her off, with her feet planted on her face like she was a doormat. Unable to move her bad arm, Sarah took her good arm, grabbed Heather by the ankle, and tried to pull it off. Her hand was too weak for Heather’s foot.

“Let go,” Heather said assertively.

Sarah did what she was told, putting her arm back to the ground – she had no other choice. She felt the soft soles of Heather’s feet pushing into her face. For the most part they smelled fresh like they had just been washed, though Sarah could smell some of the grass and dirt that was on them. She lay there as Heather’s footstool, never having felt so degraded.

“You done?” Heather said. Sarah waited hoping that Heather would move her feet to allow her to answer but that didn’t happen.

“Mmmm hmmm,” Sarah said affirmatively, not being able to say any actual words with the feet smothering her face.

“Good,” Heather said. “Now stay away from Sean or I’ll whoop your butt again. He’s mine.”

Heather slapped Sarah’s face with her foot then stood up, slid her feet back into her flip flops, and walked away. Sarah lay there completely defeated.

****

Sarah lay in her bed that night crying. Her arm was still in a lot of pain and it hurt to move it. She had gotten up multiple times to wash her face, only being able to use one arm to do so. Though her face was plenty clean now, it still felt dirty to her from having Heather’s feet pushing into it. She couldn’t believe Heather was able to do that to her and take her boyfriend and there was nothing she could do. She felt so helpless. She cried more.

****

A couple of days later Sarah was walking through the park when she saw Sean and Heather holding hands. They looked too happy to be with each other to even notice her. The handsome 27-year-old Sean and Sarah’s enemy Heather. Sarah wondered how long it was going to be before the two of them were telling each other they were going to love each other forever. She still loved Sean but he was Heather’s now. No matter how much she wanted to, nothing she could do could change that. That darn Heather.   

September 10, 2020 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.